[Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Checker

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Chris000001

[Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Checker

Post by Chris000001 »

Extension Options Menu

Adds extension options dialogs to the Tools and/or Titlebar menu. Includes toolbar icon - left-click on icon opens extension options menu, right-click opens Add-ons manager. Version 1.22 adds a hidden pref - extensions.ExtensionOptionsMenu.ShowAll. Go to about:config and set to 'true' to show all extensions in menus even if they don't have options dialogs. They will show up as a disabled menu entry.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/extension-options-menu/

Themes Menu

Adds a menu to the Tools and/or Titlebar menu to select theme. Includes toolbar icon - left-click on icon opens themes menu, right-click opens Add-ons manager.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/themes-menu/

Addon Update Checker

I didn't like Firefox updating my add-ons without my knowledge, so I turned off add-on updates, but I still wanted to be notified of new versions. So I wrote this extension. Things to know: if you change options while in the checking or found update states, the icon will be grey until the next check/restart. It does not know anything about the built in Add-on version checker. In other words, Firefox may check for updates and find one, but the icon for this add-on won't change until the next time the add-on checks. This add-on sets "extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault" to false. Otherwise is won't show the add-ons that can be updated - and breaks. If you uninstall this add-on and want to change it back, you can get to the pref from about:config, or on the Add-ons Manager click the gear dropdown near the search box. Select "Update Add-ons Automatically" to change to Firefox default.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/addon-update-checker/

Sidebar Auto Show/Hide

This is as a working version of the part of Optimoz Tweaks that I used. The sidebar auto open and close when the mouse touches the left side of the browser window. I rewrote the preference page to be inline and the way the preferences are read/written by the extension. I removed 'eval's and 'setTimeout's that generally aren't allowed in extensions for security reasons. I wrapped the everything in the extension in a variable and rewrote the way many functions are called (so they could be wrapped.) I eliminated several functions that were only called once or twice and were only one or two lines long. Replaces all 'var's with 'let's. I fixed the hand icon that can hold the sidebar open regardless of mouse position. Probably more too, but that's all I can remember. This extension does constantly check mouse position which can theoretically be a performance hit. I've never even seen 1% CPU usage when moving the mouse though.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sidebar-auto-showhide/

Hide Tab Bar With One Tab

Hide the tab bar if there is only one tab.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hide-tab-bar-with-one-tab/

Toggle Link Visited Status

Adds a right-click menu item to either mark a link visited or unvisited depending on its current state using the async history service needed by Firefox 23 and above.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/toggle-link-visited/

All Tabs Restorer
Removed. Not e10s compatible. I don't use it. Too much work to fix.
Last edited by Chris000001 on November 24th, 2015, 7:43 pm, edited 19 times in total.
equazcion

Re: [Ext] Extension Options Menu

Post by equazcion »

Hope I'm posting in the right place. I reported a bug via a review, and the author told me to reply here.

The extension menu doesn't work for me since the 4.0 release. In the screenshot, I've got the Extension Options item showing up in my "More Tools" menu (provided by another handy addon), but I've tried disabling that and the same bug occurs. Also tried v1.13, same result.

See the tiny, tiny square just over the upper-right corner of the higlighted menu area? That's all that pops up when clicking/hovering on the Extension Options item.

I've got a bunch of other extensions, many of which aren't officially released for 4.0 compatibility yet, and I've got compatibility-checking disabled... so it's possible this is a conflict that'll clear itself up as those are updated. Just thought I'd offer all the info in case it helps you solidify the extension.

Thanks again for making it :)

Have you been eating that sandwich again?
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

I see you have Extension Options in the menu twice and you have Mr. Tech's Toolkit. That extension has an "extension options" that won't work with Firefox 4. Try the second menu (at the bottom.)
equazcion

Post by equazcion »

Wow can't believe I missed that. The second one does work. Thanks, sorry to have bothered you with this.
Have you been eating that sandwich again?
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

No problem. I only wrote the extension since I missed that function of Mr. Tech's Toolkit (I had to disable it. It broke too many other things.)
maurojs10

Post by maurojs10 »

Thank you so much for this handy extension. =D>

Could you please add localization to Brazilian Portuguese (pt-BR)?

This is "optionsmenu.dtd" for pt-BR:

Code: Select all

<!ENTITY EOM.Title "Extension Options Menu - Opções">
<!ENTITY EOM.ShowVersion "Exibir versões">
<!ENTITY EOM.ShowIcons "Exibir ícones">
<!ENTITY EOM.ShowInToolsMenu "Exibir no menu Ferramentas">
<!ENTITY EOM.ShowInTitlebarMenu "Exibir no botão Firefox (se disponível)">
<!ENTITY EOM.ExtensionOptions "Opções de extensões">

This is the line that should be added to "chrome.manifest":

locale optionsmenu pt-BR chrome/locale/pt-BR/

And these lines translate the description that shows up on add-ons tab:

<localized>
         <Description>
            <locale>pt-BR</locale>
            <name>Extension Options Menu</name>
            <description>Acrescenta acesso às opções das extensões no menu Ferramentas e no botão Firefox. Inclui ícone para a barra de ferramentas.</description>
         </Description>
      </localized>

They should be added to "install.rdf", just before the first "<targetApplication>" line.

Maybe you could submit your extension to http://www.babelzilla.org so that more localizations could be added.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

I've added the localization to my local version. I tried to register on babelzilla, but there was a problem. I sent an email trying to sort it out. After that happens and I get a few translations, I'll release it. Thanks.

edit:now on babelzilla: http://www.babelzilla.org/forum/index.p ... topic=6635
Schattenspieler

Post by Schattenspieler »

Sry, I missed the link on the add-on page first. Would it be possible, to make the displayed add-ons selectable? That would be great, because I dont need to acces the options of ALL add-ons that often.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

Schattenspieler wrote:Sry, I missed the link on the add-on page first. Would it be possible, to make the displayed add-ons selectable? That would be great, because I dont need to acces the options of ALL add-ons that often.

I'll give it some thought. It would probably double the size of the extension and I'm not sure if I'd have time to complete it. You can add some lines to your userChrome.css (if you don't know what that is - http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css) or use Stylish - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/ to hide menu items.
If you only have a few you want to eliminate you could use something like:

[id^='extensionsoptions'] > menupopup > [class^='menu'][label='Check4Change'] { display:none !important; }
[id^='extensionsoptions'] > menupopup > [class^='menu'][label='Menu Editor'] { display:none !important; }

except you would change the label part to match the ones you want to remove. If you only have a few you want to keep, you could use:

[id^='extensionsoptions'] > menupopup > [class^='menu']:not([label='Check4Change']):not([label='Menu Editor']) { display:none !important; }

again, changing the labels to match the ones you want to keep.
maurojs10

Post by maurojs10 »

Chris000001 wrote:I've added the localization to my local version. I tried to register on babelzilla, but there was a problem. I sent an email trying to sort it out. After that happens and I get a few translations, I'll release it. Thanks.

edit:now on babelzilla: http://www.babelzilla.org/forum/index.p ... topic=6635

I see that a new localized version has been released. Thank you very much.

But... There is a problem with diacritics in pt-BR translation.

The description string "Adds extension options dialogs to the Tools and Titlebar menus. Includes toolbar icon." is incorrectly rendered as "Acrescenta acesso ŕs opçőes das extensőes no menu Ferramentas e no botăo Firefox. Inclui ícone para a barra de ferramentas."

If you add that string to Babelzilla and if you add me as a translator, I could make the corrections. My user name at Babelzilla is also maurojs10.
maurojs10

Post by maurojs10 »

Thank you for adding me as a translator at Babelzilla.

But I still can't fix the description string because it is missing at Babelzilla.

I don't how exactly you can add the description to Babelzilla, but I guess you should add something like the highlighted area on the image bellow.

Maybe you can ask it at Babelzilla's board.

maurojs10

Post by maurojs10 »

maurojs10 wrote:Thank you for adding me as a translator at Babelzilla.

But I still can't fix the description string because it is missing at Babelzilla.

I don't how exactly you can add the description to Babelzilla, but I guess you should add something like the highlighted area on the image bellow.

Maybe you can ask it at Babelzilla's board.

Well, since the description string is not available at Babelzilla yet, I've posted the correction here http://pastebin.mozilla.org/1220496 .

Thank you.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

I must have opened the install.rdf in wordpad before posting version 1.14. Apparently that messes with encoding. I have now asked on Babelzilla how to add a string to localize the extension description. I uploaded version 1.15. I don't know when it will be approved, but you can get it by clicking on version 1.14 in the release notes section.
maurojs10

Post by maurojs10 »

Chris000001 wrote:I must have opened the install.rdf in wordpad before posting version 1.14. Apparently that messes with encoding. I have now asked on Babelzilla how to add a string to localize the extension description. I uploaded version 1.15. I don't know when it will be approved, but you can get it by clicking on version 1.14 in the release notes section.

Version 1.15 is perfect.

Thank you very much.
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

Chris000001 wrote:No problem. I only wrote the extension since I missed that function of Mr. Tech's Toolkit (I had to disable it. It broke too many other things.)

Thank you so much. I really missed that functionality from Tech Toolkit, too, and I had to disable TT as well. I hope Mel manages to get it working properly in FF 4 and above, but meanwhile...

And special thanks for the "Right-click to open the Addons Manager." I keep the EOM icon on the Addons bar. Since I do a lot of fiddling with extensions, it's a great convenience.
______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31