[Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Checker

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
DMCrimson

Re: [Ext] Extension Options Menu / Themes Menu

Post by DMCrimson »

Aye, many thanks from me too:)
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

Hi, Chris
I think it's better to have menu like this instead of two add-ons menus in appmenu.
Thoughts?

Code: Select all

//OptionsMenuOverlay.xul
<!DOCTYPE overlay [
   <!ENTITY % optionsmenuDTD SYSTEM "chrome://optionsmenu/locale/optionsmenu.dtd">
   <!ENTITY % browserDTD SYSTEM "chrome://browser/locale/browser.dtd">
   %optionsmenuDTD;
   %browserDTD;
]>
<overlay xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul">
   <script type="application/x-javascript" src="chrome://optionsmenu/content/OptionsMenu.js"/>
   <popup id="appmenuSecondaryPane">
      <menuitem id="appmenu_addons" hidden="true" />
      <splitmenu id="extensionsoptionsAppmenu" label="&addons.label;" insertafter="appmenu_addons" iconic="true" key="key_openAddons" acceltext="Ctrl+Shift+A" tooltiptext="Ctrl+Shift+A" command="Tools:Addons">
         <menupopup/>
      </splitmenu>
   </popup>
My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

Zoolcar9 wrote: 
Hi, Chris
I think it's better to have menu like this instead of two add-ons menus in appmenu.
Thoughts?

I presume right-clicking the entry in the Firefox button would open the Addons Manager in a tab, the way the current addon bar icon behaves? That would be rather nice.

I have the icon in the Addon bar, which hides when not in use. That would be a good alternate position, if it's doable.
______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

Zoolcar9 wrote:Hi, Chris
Thoughts?
I'm working on this now (this is much better that what I was trying to do with Javascript and cloning nodes etc.) Is contributor credit good enough, and do you want me to list is as "Zoolcar9", or something else?
dmccunney wrote:I have the icon in the Addon bar, which hides when not in use. That would be a good alternate position, if it's doable.
______
Dennis
The way it works now, if you left-click the word "Add-ons", the manager opens. If you hover over that menu entry, the extensions menu open. Left-clicking (not right) "Add-on" still opens the manager in a tab, or clicking an entry in the menu opens that extension's menu. The code as posted won't quite work the way I need it to. If you choose to not show my menu in the Title bar (App menu) menu, it still hides the original entry. I am also working on a global namespace pollution issue. I should have a new version within a few days (probably.)
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

Try version 1.17. Not reviewed at this time. Click on the Version 1.16 at the bottom of the Add-ons page to get it.
K4RBQT99

Post by K4RBQT99 »

Nice to see the splitmenu's implementation. It works having the Personal Menu extension too. I think that would good to implement this to the Tools menu's element, but *probably* this would not be compatible with the MenuEditor extension, so it can to be disappointed for some users (unless than it can to be optional... or well, better, MenuEditor getting an update ](*,) ).

Also, I feel the use of the rigth-click on a toolbarbutton as something a bit strange. You could use 'menu-button' as the type of the button instead, and get the option of open the addon manager directly discoverable.
K4RBQT99

Post by K4RBQT99 »

Chris000001 wrote:The code as posted won't quite work the way I need it to. If you choose to not show my menu in the Title bar (App menu) menu, it still hides the original entry.

WIth the splitmenu's implementation, I think that option doesn't look necessary anymore. ---EDIT: Oh well, maybe yes.
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

Chris000001 wrote:Is contributor credit good enough, and do you want me to list is as "Zoolcar9", or something else?

It's not necessary but thanks :)

K4RBQT99 wrote:Also, I feel the use of the rigth-click on a toolbarbutton as something a bit strange. You could use 'menu-button' as the type of the button instead, and get the option of open the addon manager directly discoverable.

I'm so agreed with 'menu-button'. In fact, I don't like the right-click is being used.
I'll love it if it has a contextmenu for the menuitems menupopup, like the old MR Tech Toolkit.

NOTE: this is actually a Custom Button.

dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

Chris000001 wrote:
dmccunney wrote:I have the icon in the Addon bar, which hides when not in use. That would be a good alternate position, if it's doable.
The way it works now, if you left-click the word "Add-ons", the manager opens. If you hover over that menu entry, the extensions menu open. Left-clicking (not right) "Add-on" still opens the manager in a tab, or clicking an entry in the menu opens that extension's menu. The code as posted won't quite work the way I need it to. If you choose to not show my menu in the Title bar (App menu) menu, it still hides the original entry. I am also working on a global namespace pollution issue. I should have a new version within a few days (probably.)

I just installed v1.17. Having it in the title bar, hovering opens the extension list, and right clicking opens the Addons manager. That behavior is fine by me, and lets me remove an icon from an increasingly crowded Addon bar.

I also use Personal Menu, which required a bit of head scratching. With Personal Menu active and Extension Options 1.17 installed, suddenly there was no Addons entry in the titlebar menu. I had to use Personal Menu to re-add it, as you create a second entry, then remove the original.
_______
Dennis
SeaMonkey 1.1.19/NS 7.2/SeaMonkey 2.33.1/SeaMonkey 2.34a,FF release version 32 bit, FF Developer Edition 64bit, FF Nightly 64 bit, Kompozer 0.8b3/Sunbird 0.8/Win2K Pro SP4/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 Pro SP1/Win10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux 12.04/Ubuntu Linux 16.04/Puppy Linux 4.31
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

dmccunney wrote:I also use Personal Menu, which required a bit of head scratching. With Personal Menu active and Extension Options 1.17 installed, suddenly there was no Addons entry in the titlebar menu. I had to use Personal Menu to re-add it, as you create a second entry, then remove the original
I'm glad you got it working. I've never used Personal Menu. It does a lot of stuff I don't need.
Zoolcar9 wrote:
K4RBQT99 wrote:Also, I feel the use of the rigth-click on a toolbarbutton as something a bit strange. You could use 'menu-button' as the type of the button instead, and get the option of open the addon manager directly discoverable.

I'm so agreed with 'menu-button'. In fact, I don't like the right-click is being used.
I'll love it if it has a contextmenu for the menuitems menupopup, like the old MR Tech Toolkit.
I'm not using menu-button since I feel the main purpose of the extension is not to open the Add-ons manager, but to bypass it to get to extension's options. I only added that feature as a request by makondo http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1876795&p=9432083#p9432083. I did think of middle-click like some other toolbar buttons use, but I've read it makes it harder for a lot of laptops, so I stuck with right-click. If you are going to the Add-on manager often enough you want an icon that mainly does that, it seems to me it's not hard to get to the extensions options from the Add-ons manager's page.

I have also thought about adding other features more like Mr. Tech's. However, I never used GUID and install folder is fairly useless now as extensions aren't (normally) unpacked. Homepage is the only useful entry I remember. There is a list of items possible to retrieve from the new API here https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Addons/Add-on_Manager/Addon. I didn't see any very useful ones, but let me know if I missed something. I did write myself a version (around 1.7 release that I abandoned) that used right-clicking on an extension in the menu list that opened the homepage. The problem with that is I had to display all extensions, not just ones with options pages like I do now and my list jumped from about 20 to more than 50. I almost never go to extension homepages. Probably less than once every few months, so it added clutter with no real increase in useability. I could probably add more options to my extension to do that, but it seems like a lot of work for not much payoff. It would add quite a bit of complexity to creating the menu (changing types between menu, then filling the menu and leaving some items as menitems.) Plus I'd have to get more strings translated, so at this point I probably won't. I am open to arguments I may have forgotten if anyone has other thoughts.

edit:something else I just remembered about the right-click on menu item to open homepage was menus don't close after a right-click. I would have to come up with code to close the parent menu (which is possible, but would take experimentation.)
dmccunney

Post by dmccunney »

Chris000001 wrote:
dmccunney wrote:I also use Personal Menu, which required a bit of head scratching. With Personal Menu active and Extension Options 1.17 installed, suddenly there was no Addons entry in the titlebar menu. I had to use Personal Menu to re-add it, as you create a second entry, then remove the original
I'm glad you got it working. I've never used Personal Menu. It does a lot of stuff I don't need.

It's something I'm playing with. I could live without it, but it has some useful features, and the ability to customize the titlebar menu is useful. The fun part was discovering two entries called Addons menu that could be added, so it was a "pick one and hope it's correct" as to which one to add back to get the expected behavior.

I'm not using menu-button since I feel the main purpose of the extension is not to open the Add-ons manager, but to bypass it to get to extension's options. I only added that feature as a request by makondo http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1876795&p=9432083#p9432083. I did think of middle-click like some other toolbar buttons use, but I've read it makes it harder for a lot of laptops, so I stuck with right-click. If you are going to the Add-on manager often enough you want an icon that mainly does that, it seems to me it's not hard to get to the extensions options from the Add-ons manager's page.

I'm pleased you didn't add middle-click. I use a Logitech mouse, and have the scroll wheel customized to do a double-click when pressed. It's a feature I've grown used to and find a time saver. Right-click is fine here. But while replacing the default Addons behavior in the titlebar menu with a list of extension options is fine, there still needs to be a way to get to the Addons Manager. I have the menubar hidden unless moused over with custom CSS, and if I don't need to get to it, so much the better, so I'm just as happy not doing Tools/Addons.

I have also thought about adding other features more like Mr. Tech's. However, I never used GUID and install folder is fairly useless now as extensions aren't (normally) unpacked. Homepage is the only useful entry I remember. There is a list of items possible to retrieve from the new API here https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Addons/Add-on_Manager/Addon. I didn't see any very useful ones, but let me know if I missed something.

About the only thing I can think of would be a boolean indicating whether whether it was a "restartless" extension (implemented entirely in JavaScript) or required a restart to enable (because it uses XUL.) But that doesn't seem to be something the API will tell you.

I did write myself a version (around 1.7 release that I abandoned) that used right-clicking on an extension in the menu list that opened the homepage. The problem with that is I had to display all extensions, not just ones with options pages like I do now and my list jumped from about 20 to more than 50. I almost never go to extension homepages. Probably less than once every few months, so it added clutter with no real increase in useability. I could probably add more options to my extension to do that, but it seems like a lot of work for not much payoff. It would add quite a bit of complexity to creating the menu (changing types between menu, then filling the menu and leaving some items as menitems.) Plus I'd have to get more strings translated, so at this point I probably won't. I am open to arguments I may have forgotten if anyone has other thoughts.

The problem with extension Home Pages is that they often aren't useful. The extension may not have a home page, and the home page will point to something like the Mozillazine Forums. What I normally want to do is check the extension's entry on AMO, and go to the home page only if there is a beta or dev version there that hasn't gotten listed on AMO yet. Your extension fills one major hole left by MR Total Toolkit, which is collection all the extension options in a single sub-menu instead of some of them cluttering Tools.

The only thing I still miss from TT is the ability to turn off compatibility checks when I install an extension instead of globally as I must do now, and mark extensions that require that as compatible in the Addons Manager once I have to turn off the incompatibility message. Right now, I use Addon Compatibilty Reporter to disable compatibility checks, since I run FF 4.01, 5.0 beta, Aurora, and Nightly, and switch between them using a common profile. It works fine, but it would be nice to know which extensions the various FF versions think are incompatible, even though they install and work as expected when compatibility checks are turned off.
______
Dennis
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

Chris000001 wrote:..I am open to arguments I may have forgotten if anyone has other thoughts.

I won't argue, though. It's all up to you :)

Chris000001 wrote:something else I just remembered about the right-click on menu item to open homepage was menus don't close after a right-click. I would have to come up with code to close the parent menu (which is possible, but would take experimentation.)

There's global function closeMenus for that
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-aurora/source/browser/base/content/utilityOverlay.js#317

Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

Zoolcar9 wrote:There's global function closeMenus for that
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-aurora/source/browser/base/content/utilityOverlay.js#317
I figured I could use somemenu.open = false. I just meant I didn't have code to get the 'somemenu' id. Since the version with the homepage stuff was just something only I used and I didn't care (I just clicked on the homepage after it opened.) Maybe closeMenus would be easier. I am still thinking about adding opening the homepage, if it exists, on right-click on a menu item.
dmccunney wrote:The only thing I still miss from TT is the ability to turn off compatibility checks when I install an extension instead of globally as I must do now, and mark extensions that require that as compatible in the Addons Manager once I have to turn off the incompatibility message. Right now, I use Addon Compatibilty Reporter to disable compatibility checks, since I run FF 4.01, 5.0 beta, Aurora, and Nightly, and switch between them using a common profile. It works fine, but it would be nice to know which extensions the various FF versions think are incompatible, even though they install and work as expected when compatibility checks are turned off.]
I'm pretty sure Mr. Tech re-wrote some underlying functions to make that happen. I don't know anywhere near enough Javascript to attempt that and even if I got it to work, I don't think I'd trust it. Hopefully Mr. Tech gets some time to update Toolkit.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

dmccunney wrote:it would be nice to know which extensions the various FF versions think are incompatible, even though they install and work as expected when compatibility checks are turned off.

Hi, Dennis. The Add-ons Manager already identifies the installed incompatible extensions even if compatibility checks are turned off. Each incompatible extension has an annotation of the form "Digger is incompatible with Firefox 4.0.1". Don't you see it?

Also, the Is It Compatible? extension lists the compatibility range for each extension. It's not compatible with Fx 5.0 and newer, and I haven't tested it with those programs. If you want to check it out though, it may work.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

I've deleted and re-added version 1.17. I was trying to use an icon named extensionGeneric-16.png from the default theme, but if you weren't using the default theme, and the theme you were using didn't have the same icon, it was blank. You may want to re-install.