[Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Checker

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
George Yves

Re: [Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Che

Post by George Yves »

Chris000001 wrote:I've only seen that if extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault is set to true. Check your about:config please. The extension should automatically set it to false on start up.
It is set to false.
I also have extensions.update.enabled set to default.
It is set to true and it is the default setting.
You can set it in about:config as well, or go to Options > Advanced > Updates and deselect Add-on, bit I don't think that is necessary.
It is set to check for updates and it was when I was using Update Notifier. I don't understand why it must be deselected as you say.

I am using Add-on Compatibility Reporter that turns off the compatibility check. May it influence your Update Checker?
May the FOSS be with you!
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

George Yves wrote:Sorry but I can't understand why I don't see the list of available updates when I use Addon Update Checker.

When the extension's button becomes red, I click it and see the Addons Manager tab. In the tab I see (sorry, I translate from Russian) the text "Updates aren't found" and the button "Check for updates". I don't see any list of available updates. If I click the button, it disappears but updates are silently downloaded and installed! After that I am prompted to restart the browser and the updates are applied.

Why I don't see the list of available updates?

If Addon Update Checker extension button becomes red, right-click it with mouse and the AOM list of available updates page will appear.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

George Yves wrote:
Chris000001 wrote:I've only seen that if extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault is set to true. Check your about:config please. The extension should automatically set it to false on start up.
It is set to false.
I also have extensions.update.enabled set to default.
It is set to true and it is the default setting.
You can set it in about:config as well, or go to Options > Advanced > Updates and deselect Add-on, bit I don't think that is necessary.
It is set to check for updates and it was when I was using Update Notifier. I don't understand why it must be deselected as you say.

I am using Add-on Compatibility Reporter that turns off the compatibility check. May it influence your Update Checker?

Sorry. I miss typed. I meant not to default (false) for extensions.update.enabled. I don't believe that should matter either way though, I just thought it might be something to try. The reason I deselect it is, if Firefox finds updates, it will not make the icon show. I don't believe Add-on Compatibility Reporter could make a difference.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

rob64rock wrote:
George Yves wrote:Sorry but I can't understand why I don't see the list of available updates when I use Addon Update Checker.

When the extension's button becomes red, I click it and see the Addons Manager tab. In the tab I see (sorry, I translate from Russian) the text "Updates aren't found" and the button "Check for updates". I don't see any list of available updates. If I click the button, it disappears but updates are silently downloaded and installed! After that I am prompted to restart the browser and the updates are applied.

Why I don't see the list of available updates?

If Addon Update Checker extension button becomes red, right-click it with mouse and the AOM list of available updates page will appear.

That's the way it works here.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

@George Yves: So far, I can't reproduce the problem. This is just a guess since it would take a lot of setup for me to check, but my guess is since you allow Firefox to check for updates, it found one.. When my add-on ran, it also saw the currently running version was older than the newly installed (but not activated since you had not restarted) version. The add-on manager didn't show which one needed to be updates since it had already installed (but not finished since Firefox needed to be restarted.) This is just a guess.

@makondo: I'm not exactly sure what you are telling me about the sidebar. I only use my sidebar for bookmarks. What progress and status? Did earlier versions of AUC do what you want?
makondo

Post by makondo »

Chris, your ext. works exactly the way i want it to. The sidebar thing is a Stylish doing which Jason doesn't want to fix but you did (exclude styles from updates check). Don't worry about it, i was trying to explain what my problem was for those who might be suffering from the same (Stylish) nuisance which you have fixed for me, thanks! All i have to do is check for updates by clicking your button (i check manually) instead of the default one in the AM. Easy enough.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Chris000001,

sorry if i seem to be criticizing you or your work. [*blush*] i'm simply rather curious.

i managed to not get my idea across. i am wondering why you _seem_ to not use the built in timing mechanism that the app already appears to use. reading thru your posts here [and i certainly haven't the ability to understand the code [*grin*]] gives me the impression you are doing it with your own code instead of resetting the timing of the existing addon update function.

is that what you are doing? if so are you doing it to keep your code from making inadvertent interactions with the main app? or some other reason?

again, this is pure [non-coder] curiosity. i understand you may not have the time for this, so lemme know and i will try not to pester you about it. [*grin*] i _certainly_ won't take offense ...

take care,
lee
makondo

Post by makondo »

Actually, i understand where you're coming from, Lee (well, in this case anyway Image ). I was kind of surprised myself when i saw 6 as the default. I remember the original UN had it set to 24hrs as default.
I, too, see no problem with that, easy enough to reset to whatever we want but was curious for a moment there as well. Honestly, i simply assumed Chris had it set to 6 in his version and didn't change before posting to AMO (... 'cause he probably didn't think Lee will show up questioning Image ).
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

makondo wrote:Actually, i understand where you're coming from, Lee (well, in this case anyway Image ). I was kind of surprised myself when i saw 6 as the default. I remember the original UN had it set to 24hrs as default.
I, too, see no problem with that, easy enough to reset to whatever we want but was curious for a moment there as well. Honestly, i simply assumed Chris had it set to 6 in his version and didn't change before posting to AMO (... 'cause he probably didn't think Lee will show up questioning Image ).

[*grin*]
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

@makondo: Glad to hear it is working correctly.

@Lee_Dailey: The only way I know how to use the built in timer is to use eval statements to change how Firefox works. That's not a good idea. If the original function changes, it would break the extension, plus I don't think I could ever get fully reviewed status to get a full public release.

AUC version 1.3 just released: The time last run is now stored in about:config so the timer will not be reset if application is closed and re-opened. Green icon for theme found, blue for anything else, or green/blue for both. Defaults to 24 hours between checks - for new installs only, check your settings if you want to change it.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

Chris000001 wrote:@Lee_Dailey: The only way I know how to use the built in timer is to use eval statements to change how Firefox works. That's not a good idea. If the original function changes, it would break the extension, plus I don't think I could ever get fully reviewed status to get a full public release.

howdy Chris000001

thanks for the feedback. you've helped me get some understanding of the why/wherefore and i appreciate it. [*grin*]

take care,
lee
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Chris000001 wrote:AUC version 1.3 just released: The time last run is now stored in about:config so the timer will not be reset if application is closed and re-opened.

That makes AUC useful to me. Thank you.
George Yves

Post by George Yves »

Chris000001 wrote:@George Yves: So far, I can't reproduce the problem. This is just a guess since it would take a lot of setup for me to check, but my guess is since you allow Firefox to check for updates, it found one.. When my add-on ran, it also saw the currently running version was older than the newly installed (but not activated since you had not restarted) version. The add-on manager didn't show which one needed to be updates since it had already installed (but not finished since Firefox needed to be restarted.) This is just a guess.

I solved my problem: in Add-ons Manager all extensions must be set to manual update.
May the FOSS be with you!
nizhneportovaya

Post by nizhneportovaya »

Is there a way to find **unreviewed** updates of installed add-ons with Addon Update Checker?
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

nizhneportovaya wrote:Is there a way to find **unreviewed** updates of installed add-ons with Addon Update Checker?
No. Only the ID is specifically sent by the add-on (app and version has to be sent, but you don't specify that when you send the request) and a response of available update of not is returned. That's all done by the add-ons site. There would have to be changes there to let what you want to happen.