[Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Checker

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Chris000001

Re: [Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Che

Post by Chris000001 »

em28 wrote:I've used AUC 2.5 beta on FF28 - There was an issue on not finding updates.
As I downgrade to the last stable version (2.4) AUC seem to work fine.
I'm not sure what that could be... maybe a network hiccup at AMO? Although I have changed things to support the Australis theme, it's mostly cosmetic. Nothing has changed it the code sections that check for updates and report if there are any. I double-checked the code and I haven't personally had any issues. If anyone else sees this, please let me know.
MozMozMoz

Post by MozMozMoz »

[deleted]
Last edited by MozMozMoz on March 20th, 2014, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

MozMozMoz wrote:Approximately how much longer should I expect "Hide Tab Bar With One Tab" to be only "preliminarily reviewed by Mozilla"?
I just re-released the latest beta as version 1.2. I think a few days after it gets its preliminary review I can put it up for full review, so probably a couple of weeks.
sea9

Post by sea9 »

Hi: I hope i am posting in the correct place.
I have the Adds On Checker addon installed. But i cannot work out really how it works

1) If it is blue, does that mean there are add-ons waiting to be updated?
2) Is there a way to see how many addons or my critical addons, as I often forget
3) Some addons i dont want to update as it will cause another problem. so i dont need it to tell me there is an update. how do i flag this?
4) Does it check, each time i click on the icon in my addon bar toolbar at the bottom of my page?
5) is there a way for it to prompt me to check after say 14 days, as i just realiased i had not checked in 45 days... it was grey or blue all this time
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

sea9 wrote:Hi: I hope i am posting in the correct place.
I have the Adds On Checker addon installed. But i cannot work out really how it works

1) If it is blue, does that mean there are add-ons waiting to be updated?
2) Is there a way to see how many addons or my critical addons, as I often forget
3) Some addons i dont want to update as it will cause another problem. so i dont need it to tell me there is an update. how do i flag this?
4) Does it check, each time i click on the icon in my addon bar toolbar at the bottom of my page?
5) is there a way for it to prompt me to check after say 14 days, as i just realiased i had not checked in 45 days... it was grey or blue all this time

1) Yes. Blue means one or more add-on needs to be updated, Green means one of more theme needs to be updated, half blue and half green means both. Red means you have updated, but not restarted and a restart is needed to complete installation. (It doesn't always turn red. A restart-less add-on or a non-selected theme for example.)
2) I'm not sure what you are asking. If you hover your mouse over the icon or menu item and updates are needed (blue/green icon shown) a tooltip shows up with the add-ons/themes that need to be updated. Maybe that's what you are asking?
3) Open the options page from the add-on manager. Put the names of add-on you don't want checked in the box labeled "Items not to check" there.
4) Yes.
5) The maximum built in time is two days (48 hours). You can select that from the options page. You can select longer times, but you have to do it from the about:config page. The preference to search for is 'extensions.UpdateAddon.CheckTime'. You can set that to however many hours you want between checks - 14 days being 336.
NotTabber

Adobe's Create PDF addon disables your Hide Tab addon

Post by NotTabber »

Hi Chris,

Thank you for "Hide Tab Bar With One Tab". I've been using it for a long time and appreciate the extra line of space it allows me in my browser window.

Today, I enabled another addon, "Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF". When I did that, the single tabs appeared in all my browser windows. I disabled and re-enabled "Hide Tab Bar With One Tab", but the single tabs remained. Then I disabled "Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF", and the tabs went away.

Is there a reason your addon doesn't work when that PDF addon is enabled? Is there a way to have them both work together?

Thank you

Windows 7 64 Pro
Firefox 27.0.1
Adobe Acrobat v. 10.1.9
Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF v 1.2
Hide Tab Bar With One Tab v 1.2
zasxae

Post by zasxae »

This is an Extension Options Menu bug report for the latest Nightly, Australis menu related. http://i.imgur.com/AFnctee.png I would like to put its toolbar icon inside the Australis menu, but it doesn't work properly. Takes up 2 spots, and the menu often shows up empty. Works just fine when added directly to the toolbar. Ideally, the Australis CustomizableUI module's API should be used to display the Extension Options Menu like this as a panel when inside the Australis menu and like the new Downloads panel when outside: http://i.imgur.com/EGR07Ax.png More information: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Fir ... -on_compat
Chris000001

Re: Adobe's Create PDF addon disables your Hide Tab addon

Post by Chris000001 »

NotTabber wrote:Hi Chris,

Thank you for "Hide Tab Bar With One Tab". I've been using it for a long time and appreciate the extra line of space it allows me in my browser window.

Today, I enabled another addon, "Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF". When I did that, the single tabs appeared in all my browser windows. I disabled and re-enabled "Hide Tab Bar With One Tab", but the single tabs remained. Then I disabled "Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF", and the tabs went away.

Is there a reason your addon doesn't work when that PDF addon is enabled? Is there a way to have them both work together?

Thank you

Windows 7 64 Pro
Firefox 27.0.1
Adobe Acrobat v. 10.1.9
Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF v 1.2
Hide Tab Bar With One Tab v 1.2
I don't know why the adobe add-on would be using tabbar bindings, but you could try an earlier version of Hide Tab Bar, specifically version 1.1 to see if it will work for you. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hide-tab-bar-with-one-tab/versions/?page=1#version-1.1. It uses event listeners instead of bindings. If you try version 1.1, you should go to the Add-ons Manager and stop if from automatically updating (double-click the extension and select the radio button for 'Off' under 'Automatic Updates'). It did not work well for me when testing with the Australis theme so it might break for you in the near future.

zasxae wrote:This is an Extension Options Menu bug report for the latest Nightly, Australis menu related. http://i.imgur.com/AFnctee.png I would like to put its toolbar icon inside the Australis menu, but it doesn't work properly. Takes up 2 spots, and the menu often shows up empty. Works just fine when added directly to the toolbar. Ideally, the Australis CustomizableUI module's API should be used to display the Extension Options Menu like this as a panel when inside the Australis menu and like the new Downloads panel when outside: http://i.imgur.com/EGR07Ax.png More information: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Fir ... -on_compat
Looking at your first picture, it looks like the icon is stretched to 32px leading me to believe you are not using the EOM beta. Try this one https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/extension-options-menu/versions/2.8beta8. I won't be using Australis's CustomizableUI module. It's way too much work. I'm going to wait until Australis has been out for at least 4-5 Firefox versions before I even look at changing the menu since there will be thousands of bug reports when it hits mainstream and hundreds of changes after that. If Mozilla wants menus to open in a panel to the right they can make it happen. Australis is terrible.
zasxae

Post by zasxae »

Thank you, Chris000001. I didn't know about the beta build. That fixed the issue completely. If CustomizableUI is too much work, I agree with your decision to wait a few versions before adopting a volatile api with an uncertain future.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Chris000001 wrote:... I won't be using Australis's CustomizableUI module...

Thank you!!
NotTabber

Post by NotTabber »

Chris000001 wrote:I don't know why the adobe add-on would be using tabbar bindings, but you could try an earlier version of Hide Tab Bar, specifically version 1.1 to see if it will work for you. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hide-tab-bar-with-one-tab/versions/?page=1#version-1.1.

Thanks Chris. I removed 1.2, added 1.1, turned off updating, and I now have the ability to make PDFs from Firefox without a tab bar.

I don't know about themes, so I hope if your old version causes a problem at some point I'll be able to know what's causing it. But looks good so far.

By the way, I'm in awe of people like you who provide quality software to the whole world, complete with tech support, with only our gratitude and your personal satisfaction as your reward. So, thank you again!
BG69FU

Post by BG69FU »

Addon Update Checker after last update 2.5 & ff 28.0 icon not change color when find update, not open 'available update' page when updates found, etc... totally broken!
em28

Post by em28 »

BG69FU wrote:Addon Update Checker after last update 2.5 & ff 28.0 icon not change color when find update, not open 'available update' page when updates found, etc... totally broken!

As i mentioned more tham a month ago:
em28 wrote:I've used AUC 2.5 beta on FF28 - There was an issue on not finding updates.
As I downgrade to the last stable version (2.4) AUC seem to work fine.

AUC 2.5 is broken on FF 28 and above. ](*,)
AUC 2.4 is working as charm. =D>
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

Between version 2.4 (or even back to 2.1) and 2.5 there has been no change to how the add-on checks for updates to add-ons and I'm using the exact same functions/apis Mozilla uses (Google 'resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm' if you're interested.) I don't do as much error checking as Mozilla does and I'll never add it. I'm not looking to completely rewrite the add-on manager. The only real changes have been adding code for the new "panel" Australis adds to Firefox to replace the tilebar menu. I did move about 12 lines of code from a seperate function to the place I set the tooltip since it was only called from there, but that was literally as simple as deleting the line that called the code and copy and paste that code right there.

I have used this extension through Firefox versions 28, 29, 30 and now 31 and I have no problems. PDF Viewer gets updates sometimes multiple times during the day and it makes the icon blue every time for me (as I am typing this, it popup up.) There can be network issues, or issues at AMO (or where ever your add-on are hosted), but that's out of my control and again, I won't be adding more code to for error checking. Usually clicking on the icon or selecting the menu item to "Check for updates" fixes any errors by checking again. I have only been testing my add-ons lately on Windows 7 and XP, but both of your user agents say 'Windows' in them so I don't plan to fire up my virtual machines anytime soon to check on Linux or Mac.
BG69FU

Post by BG69FU »

I'm on win 7 sp1 & firefox 28.
So, AUC 2.4 working like a charm, 2.5 is totally broken. There must be mistake in your code, nothing else.