MozillaZine

[Ext]Extension Options Menu/Themes Menu/Addon Update Checker

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
keithy397

User avatar
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: August 29th, 2004, 6:49 pm
Location: North Wales, UK.

Post Posted July 28th, 2011, 2:51 am

rob64rock wrote:
keithy397 wrote:As a matter of interest, one of the reasons I asked about this was because I have a Microsoft.net extension that NEVER updates which means my icon always shows blue. I never installed it, apart from deleting it out of the extensions folder, is there any way to force an uninstall?

That is one of those extensions that got installed with Windows update: Microsoft NET 3.5 SP (KB951847)

Microsoft NET 3.5 SP (KB951847) Mozillazine thread discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1064265

How to remove/Uninstall:
http://wyday.com/blog/2008/how-to-uninstall-microsoft-net-framework-assistant-from-firefox/

Mozilla is currently working on notifying users(also possibly provide a way to deny there installation)of those type of third party extensions being installed.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Extension_Manager:Projects:Third_Party_Add-on_Warnings

That shifted it, nice one!
Thanks rob64rock.
Cheers,
Keith

George Yves

User avatar
 
Posts: 100
Joined: July 9th, 2009, 1:41 am

Post Posted July 28th, 2011, 6:46 am

keithy397
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant WAS updated two weeks ago: https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/a ... rk-assist/
May the FOSS be with you!

alf_nl
 
Posts: 21
Joined: November 11th, 2007, 2:12 pm

Post Posted July 28th, 2011, 8:13 am

Shouldn't AUC ignore extensions which automatic update is set to 'off''?

makondo
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: October 18th, 2007, 5:26 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains

Post Posted July 28th, 2011, 9:23 am

Something isn't right with AUC. I have everything set to NOT check - another words, i want to check for updates when i click the button. Nonetheless, today the icon was blue and when i clicked it, it opened the AM with the update for session Manager (ext.) under available updates category. That part is working but the first didn't - i didn't click the button, i simply started Fx and there it was. All exts. are set to manual update, always have been.

Chris, i change all buttons and my style used to work fine. But i'm confused now. What's the ID for the blue button? is it the same as updatesred.png used to be? And what is that half green/half blue button (other than looking weird Image )?

rob64rock

User avatar
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: November 11th, 2009, 6:16 am

Post Posted July 28th, 2011, 9:44 am

makondo wrote:Something isn't right with AUC. I have everything set to NOT check - another words, i want to check for updates when i click the button. Nonetheless, today the icon was blue and when i clicked it, it opened the AM with the update for session Manager (ext.) under available updates category. That part is working but the first didn't - i didn't click the button, i simply started Fx and there it was. All exts. are set to manual update, always have been.

Chris, i change all buttons and my style used to work fine. But i'm confused now. What's the ID for the blue button? is it the same as updatesred.png used to be? And what is that half green/half blue button (other than looking weird Image )?

AUC bypasses the Fx built in update checker and uses it's own, so it doesn't matter if you disabled update checking for an individual Add-on in the AOM AUC will still check for an update.

Chris000001 wrote:Green icon for theme found, blue for anything else, or green/blue for both.

Chris000001
 
Posts: 458
Joined: September 12th, 2005, 4:43 pm

Post Posted July 28th, 2011, 9:54 am

makondo wrote:Something isn't right with AUC. I have everything set to NOT check - another words, i want to check for updates when i click the button. Nonetheless, today the icon was blue and when i clicked it, it opened the AM with the update for session Manager (ext.) under available updates category. That part is working but the first didn't - i didn't click the button, i simply started Fx and there it was. All exts. are set to manual update, always have been.

Chris, i change all buttons and my style used to work fine. But i'm confused now. What's the ID for the blue button? is it the same as updatesred.png used to be? And what is that half green/half blue button (other than looking weird Image )?

You have "Check On Startup" deselected and "Time Between Checks" set to "Never Check" and it found an update? If so, I'll have to look at the timer code to make sure it's not being triggered incorrectly. If you have only deselected the "Check For Locale, Extension, Theme and Plugin" boxes, it checks for whatever Firefox normally checks if you don't give it specifics (probably everything.) The green icon means theme update, blue anything else, both green and blue means a theme and something else both need to be updated. The ID should be the same, but to change them individually, you'd probably have to use something like #UpdateAddonButton[style="list-style-image: url('chrome://UpdateAddon/skin/updatesboth.png')"] { list-style-image: your icon !important; }, changing the updatesboth.png name to updatesblue, updatesgreen and updates.
alf_nl wrote:Shouldn't AUC ignore extensions which automatic update is set to 'off''?

No. AUC has nothing to do with the built in automatic updates. It is basically the same as clicking check for updates button for each extension individually, it just runs through the entire list either on a timer or when the icon/menu item is clicked. I don't know how difficult it would be to check what that setting is set to. I may check it out, but I don't have a lot of time and I don't want to rewrite the entire Add-ons Manager.

edit:Thanks rob64rock. You are correct. I was typing as you posted.

keithy397

User avatar
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: August 29th, 2004, 6:49 pm
Location: North Wales, UK.

Post Posted July 28th, 2011, 9:59 am

George Yves wrote:keithy397
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant WAS updated two weeks ago: https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/a ... rk-assist/

That might be so George, but for me, every time I opened Firefox the AUC icon was blue and it was always the Microsoft_blah extension. It would (apparently) download but never install - on any of the 4 Ff builds I use. I don't know why and I don't really care because I never installed it and without it, nothing noticeable has changed.

Thanks anyway.
Cheers,
Keith

makondo
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: October 18th, 2007, 5:26 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains

Post Posted July 28th, 2011, 10:10 am

Chris,
sorry, apparently i had it set to 24hrs and forgot about it. Now i just need to figure 24hrs from when?
Thanks for the buttons IDs! That's what i was using, that's where the updatesred.png is from. I guess you don't use red anymore. Thanks, i'm all good now!

Chris000001
 
Posts: 458
Joined: September 12th, 2005, 4:43 pm

Post Posted July 28th, 2011, 10:39 am

makondo wrote:Chris,
sorry, apparently i had it set to 24hrs and forgot about it. Now i just need to figure 24hrs from when?
Thanks for the buttons IDs! That's what i was using, that's where the updatesred.png is from. I guess you don't use red anymore. Thanks, i'm all good now!

I stopped using red. I just grabbed the icons out of the original Update Notifier, but then combined the two to make the icon for when there are theme and other updates. The loading icon is copied out of the default theme in case the default name changed. the 'style' is list-style-image: url('chrome://UpdateAddon/skin/loading.png'). The 24 hours is from the last time you changed any options or customized Firefox's layout. It has to fire with customization changes to make the icon do anything if it wasn't displayed when Firefox started. If it is more than 24 hours (or whatever time you set) since the last time Firefox was running, it runs 15 seconds after Firefox starts and the next 24 hours starts then. I think the timers may be a little messed up right now. If you are under the 24 hour time, a timer is set to fire at the end of the remaining time before the 24 hours is up, but another 24 timer starts immediately, so if it had been 12 hours since the last time Firefox was started, it would check in 12, but it would check again in 12 more hours since that would be 24 from startup. I'm going to work on it more in the future.

makondo
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: October 18th, 2007, 5:26 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains

Post Posted July 28th, 2011, 6:41 pm

Where's my spinning head smiley? Don't worry about it, i'm fine with whatever. Just thought i'll ask so that i actually understand how it works ...
And, sorry, i got all my images changed, forgot to post here. Thanks anyway though!
Last edited by makondo on July 28th, 2011, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris000001
 
Posts: 458
Joined: September 12th, 2005, 4:43 pm

Post Posted July 28th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Version 1.5 is awaiting preliminary review. Timer code fixed (hopefully.)

Chris000001
 
Posts: 458
Joined: September 12th, 2005, 4:43 pm

Post Posted July 29th, 2011, 4:41 pm

alf_nl wrote:Hello Chris,
I translated EOM into Dutch (I'm the Dutch translator at BabelZilla).
Would you be so kind to upload AUC to BabelZilla as well?
tia

http://www.babelzilla.org/forum/index.p ... topic=6841

Nick222
 
Posts: 25
Joined: July 28th, 2011, 2:37 am

Post Posted July 30th, 2011, 12:39 am

Can I check out updating some add-ons - I use this add-on under Lunux (Ubuntu 11.04-64) and I install Lightning from special PPA - but this add-on always want to update Lightning from Mozilla add-ons site - and install-error appeared ?

alf_nl
 
Posts: 21
Joined: November 11th, 2007, 2:12 pm

Post Posted July 30th, 2011, 4:17 am

Chris000001 wrote:
alf_nl wrote:Hello Chris,
I translated EOM into Dutch (I'm the Dutch translator at BabelZilla).
Would you be so kind to upload AUC to BabelZilla as well?
tia

http://www.babelzilla.org/forum/index.p ... topic=6841

Thx. Dutch (nl) translation released.

Chris000001
 
Posts: 458
Joined: September 12th, 2005, 4:43 pm

Post Posted July 30th, 2011, 8:52 am

Nick222 wrote:Can I check out updating some add-ons - I use this add-on under Lunux (Ubuntu 11.04-64) and I install Lightning from special PPA - but this add-on always want to update Lightning from Mozilla add-ons site - and install-error appeared ?

Not at this point. Add-ons are checked by id against addons.mozilla.org. You could change the id in the install.rdf file in the version of Lightning you're using so addons.mozilla.org won't find the update. It's not the greatest fix, but that's the only way I can think of right now.
alf_nl wrote:
Chris000001 wrote:
alf_nl wrote:Hello Chris,
I translated EOM into Dutch (I'm the Dutch translator at BabelZilla).
Would you be so kind to upload AUC to BabelZilla as well?
tia

http://www.babelzilla.org/forum/index.p ... topic=6841

Thx. Dutch (nl) translation released.

Thanks. I'll probably give it a week or so before I collect all of the translations and release a new version.

Return to Extension/Theme Releases


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests