- Synopsis: Directs the submission of a form to a new tab or window.
- Homepage: author's homepage
- Current Version: 1.0.2 (history)
- Compatibility: Firefox 1.5–5.0, SeaMonkey 2.0–2.1
- Download: addons.mozilla.org [restartless]
TabSubmit is a complete re-write of the old SubmitToTab extension, which had been abandoned by its author long ago. It implements bug #17754: Allowing the user to direct the submission of forms to new tabs or windows.
Commands and key modifiers in TabSubmit are identical to those used in SubmitToTab:
- Middle-Click or Ctrl+Click — Submits a form to a new tab.
- Shift+Click — Submits a form to a new window.
- Holding down the Shift key when submitting a form to a new tab will reverse whether the tab is opened in the background or foreground. By default, whether the tab is opened in the background or foreground is determined by your browser's settings.
While TabSubmit has the same functionality as SubmitToTab, it does differ from SubmitToTab in a number of ways:
- TabSubmit does not have a context menu. SubmitToTab's context menu had stopped working in Firefox 3.0 as a result of design changes made in Bug #404536.
- TabSubmit supports SeaMonkey.
- On newer versions of Firefox and SeaMonkey (versions 4 and 2.1 or higher, respectively), TabSubmit can be installed and uninstalled without restarting the browser.
- Unlike SubmitToTab, TabSubmit uses event listeners to hook into the mouse behavior instead of literally re-writing the existing handlers in the browser. This is a far more robust and safer approach, and it fixes a number of bugs that SubmitToTab exhibits, especially on Firefox 4.
- TabSubmit can work with elements that have the new HTML5 formtarget attribute.
Note: Current users of SubmitToTab must disable or uninstall SubmitToTab when installing TabSubmit.