[Ext] Hide Tab Bar 1.0dev.2 [2007-02-10]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
shinjan22

suggestions

Post by shinjan22 »

hey, i just downloaded v0.22, i think it's a great extension.
i see you already have a new version developed here. however, i would like to suggest some simple function for your consideration.
1. a thin border when hiding the tab bar with a drop down arrow indicates when click on it will unhide tabs. (this is more like the style in opera sidebar)
2. autohide doesn't quite make sense if each time you move the mouse over to click on a toolbar icon and inevitably trigger tab bar unhide without needing it.

3. i also tried the v1 dev2. it shows a very thick border under tabs. don't know how to fix it. i am using FF2.012

that's it.

hope to see the v1 out of beta soon.
awedmortal

latest version

Post by awedmortal »

the latest version i know of is Hide_Tab_Bar_1.0dev.3a

it appears that development stopped after this.

is there anything later?

is there any hope that this -- or a later, already out or in the works -- version will work with FF3? i sure hope so.

since this extension offers such a great service that it ought to be built in FF3, but i don't know if it is; does anyone know?

thanks, ken
robertmarley

Re: [Ext] Hide Tab Bar 1.0dev.2 [2007-02-10]

Post by robertmarley »

Just tried out the latest version: Hide_Tab_Bar_1.0dev.3a and this is my feedback:
First I must say that I was happy to learn that tabbar no longer pops up when opening a new tab, although the tabbar was hided, as it used to do about a year ago when I last tried it out.
Now to the full test:
(This is how the Hide Tab Bar Options look)

On a clean profile:
  • Pin button is showed next to first tab - can't be changed
  • Default "Hide delay:" = 500 = 0.5 second
  • "Enable float" = when tabbar is shown don't bump page, instead show tabbar on top of the page... Nice function, but on http://www.google.com/ it results in the top links not being accessible. Would be nice if a scrollbar as added so one could scroll up. Also "Enable float" isn't possible without auto-hide enabled. Would be nice if it was possible without auto-hide enabled too.
  • "Auto-swap margins" = I don't understand what it does. Doesn't see any difference with it enabled.
  • Also the "Top-margin:" and "Bottom margin:" doesn't seems to change a dime when modified (edit: read on... I found out what it did).
  • "New tab pops tabbar" = if one would like the old versions behaviour where new tab resulted in tabbar popping up even though hided
  • On clean profile the "Enable auto hide", "Show delay:", "Hide-delay:" option works...

On non-clean profile, this didn't work:
  • The auto-hide feature.
  • Pin button not showed (though for me it doesn't matter as I don't want it)
I found out that this add-on conflicts with Hide Tab Bar:
"Menu Editor" 1.2.6 (newest version)
That is the only one I found that did conflict, and I does have a lot of add-ons and I can't do without that add-on so please say something about the compatibility conflict!
(Just checked the Hide_Tab_Bar_1.0dev.2 version two = same problem)
(This link = Image showing the options not working with Menu Editor enabled)

Some other stuff:
The Hide Tab Bar key definitely shows up in Keyconfig manager (CTRL+SHIFT+F12), but it is far from all unused key combinations that can be used. I had to try 4 different ones, before I found one that worked (CTRL+ALT+T). F8, CTRL+F10 for instance didn't work :(

Requests:
  • Option to not hide tabbar when pointing on locationbar + menubar + chrome.
    Woops, just found out: set "Top margin:" to at least 100 = done (= answer to what "Top-margin:" option does)
  • Fix the Menu Editor add-on conflict if its your add-ons fault. If its not, I hope Menu Editor creator will fix his.

Angee wrote:Will there be sometime be a "Hide Bookmarks-Toolbar"?
That would be great, and millions of eee-Users would love you.

Solution:
Look at this post at "Edit3:" or the direct link here

P.S. Hide Tab Bar creator + creator of this thread could you please update your first post/#1 to [ ] code tags instead of <> code tags, as this new forum doesn't support the latter? (making your first post readable)

Edit: Wow this is wierd :?. I just found out regarding the previous mentioned Keyconfig-Hide-Bar-Bar-shortcut-key-not-all-unused-can-be-used issue, that when having Hide Tab Bar installed, then if you not use the default-added-to-Keyconfig-by-Hide-Tabbar "Tab Bar" key, but instead add the button code posted in this thread:

Code: Select all

gBrowser.mStrip.collapsed = !gBrowser.mStrip.collapsed;

And use that as your shortcut, then you can choose any unused key you want :mrgreen: . And because you have Hide Tab Bar installed the tabbar doesn't pop up when a new tab is opened. <====== All that is clearly a bug in Hide Tab Bar. It shouldn't be necessary to add the additional key code. You should be able to use the default added key with any unused key shortcut!
Shingoshi

Post by Shingoshi »

Hey Onemen,
Just tried the the latest version (1.0dev.3a). It seems the history list (for the back/forward button) in Firefox-3.0 disappears with this extension. But then again, it may be another one. Need to check to be certain. Right clicking on the button does work though!

Shingoshi
The distribution of knowledge must not be the commodity of tyranny.
Solution: The immediate equalization of all knowledge among all beings.
Threshold

Post by Threshold »

Hi,

Will you make this extension compatible with FF3?
I always have loads of tabs and liked this extension a lot!
Thanks
BigThunder1

Post by BigThunder1 »

@ Old Shingoshi

Posted March 20th, 2007, 7:42 pm

A possibly better alternate for such extreme space saving would be to use "autohide" http://www.krickelkrackel.de/autohide/ .

I just tried installing AutoHide. It doesn't seem to work with Linux. Either that, or I don't know how to make the tabbar hide as it should.

I'm using FF3 on Ubuntu Linux with AutoHide v1.2 installed and working flawlessly (installed on 7-7-08). You should give it a try now. It was Updated: 29.04.2008 . :wink:

@ Geva Zeichner

Regardless of the above, I look forward to a working version of HTB for FF3. I use Vertigo combined with HTB in FF2 on my Windows XP machine which work well together ( which I very rarely boot-up anymore other than to update it on occasion or pull files etc. from it for my Linux OS).

Vertigo isn't compatible with FF3 and development appears to have been dropped/ignored. This is a BIG disappointment for me while using FF3. Currently I've been playing with Tree Style Tab which is very buggy on Linux.

This is an interesting thread about a great extension that I hope to see working again in it's fullest capacity and compatible with Linux, as well as Windows and other vertical Tab extensions/offerings. Thanks for everyone's efforts here. Don't give up on it unless you can persuade Mozilla to incorporate this feature in FF as a default/option for all users (IMO it should be).

Regards,
BigThunder1... 8-)
It all comes out in the wash..... have a great day, and don't get dirty!
~My mother
awedmortal

Post by awedmortal »

i've written on the TMP forum about HTB, and suggested the HTB features be incorporated into TMP. it appears that HTB is no longer being developed at all, and it doesn't work on FF3. too bad!

a combination of Tree Style Tabs and Tab Kit provide fairly well both tab groups and automatically hidden tabs. it doesn't seem that TMP and TST work so well together, though some people can probably do better with more patience than i had. the setup of the TST/TK combination is somewhat obvious, though at times it is not not intuitive. some other tab-oriented extensions work, and some seems to cause conflicts and the dreaded "a script is nt working" errors, but the following extension setup is apparently stable for FF3 (note all the disabled extensions - the results in many cases of difficulties):

Extensions (enabled: 70, disabled: 29):

* Aardvark 2.96
* Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.1.3
* Adblock Plus 0.7.5.5
* Add Bookmark Here ² 3.0.20080604
* All-in-One Sidebar 0.7.6
* Amazing Webpage Emailer (AWE) 1.16
* AutoCopy 0.8
* Autofill Forms 0.9.5.1 [disabled]
* Autohide 1.2 [disabled]
* AVG Safe Search 8.0 [disabled]
* AVG Security Toolbar 2.0.20080529 [disabled]
* Back to Top 5.2.1
* Better Gmail 2 0.5.2
* Better YouTube 0.4.3 [disabled]
* Bookmark Backup 0.4.9
* Classic Compact Options 1.1.2 [disabled]
* Closy 1.5.0
* ColorfulTabs 3.2 [disabled]
* Configuration Mania 1.09.2008070501 [disabled]
* Console² 0.3.9.1
* Cookie Monster 0.92 [disabled]
* CookieSwap 0.5.1 [disabled]
* Cooliris Previews 2.6.4 [disabled]
* Ctrl-Tab 0.17.9
* Custom Buttons² 2.0.7.6
* Custom Toolbar Buttons 0.5.0.5
* CustomizeGoogle 0.72
* Diigo Bookmarks and Web Annotations 3.1.5.9
* Download Sort 2.5.7 [disabled]
* Download Statusbar 0.9.6.3
* DownloadHelper 3.1.1
* DragNDrop Toolbars 0.0.0.6
* Edit Middle 2 [disabled]
* Evernote Web Clipper 3.0.0.122
* FaviconizeTab 0.9.8.2 [disabled]
* FavLoc 1.2
* FEBE 6.0b(20080713_175446)
* Feed Sidebar 3.0.1
* Findbar Basics 1.5.2
* fireform 0.6.3 [disabled]
* Firefox Showcase 0.9.4.8 [disabled]
* FireGestures 1.1.2
* Fission 1.0
* Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer 2.1.0.12
* Gmail Manager 0.5.5
* Grab and Drag 2.7.4
* Hide Find Bar 0.6 [disabled]
* Highlander 1.2
* History Submenus 1.2
* IE View Lite 1.3.3
* InfoLister 0.10
* Java Console 6.0.05 [disabled]
* keyconfig 20080611 [disabled]
* Linkification 1.3.5
* Locationbar² 1.0.3
* MileWideBack 0.2.9
* MR Tech Toolkit (formerly Local Install) 6.0.1
* Multiple Tab Handler 0.2.2008050601
* No Squint 1.93.2.1
* OPIE 1.2.1 [disabled]
* Organize Search Engines 1.4 [disabled]
* Password Exporter 1.1
* PDF Download 2.0.0.0b1
* Print/Print Preview 0.6
* Read it Later 0.9741
* RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin 1.0 [disabled]
* Remove It Permanently 1.0.6.4
* Save File to 1.0
* Save Image in Folder 1.2.2
* Save Link in Folder 1.4.2 [disabled]
* Searchbar Autosizer 1.3.8
* SearchBox Companion 1.77 [disabled]
* SearchLoad Options 0.5.2 [disabled]
* Session Manager 0.6.1.13
* SmoothWheel 0.44.14.20080509
* Speed Dial 0.7.1
* Stop Autoplay 0.7.3
* Stop-or-Reload Button 0.2.2
* StumbleUpon 3.25
* SwiftTabs 0.3.3.2
* Sxipper 2.1.3
* Tab Counter 1.3
* Tab Kit 0.4.1
* Tab Mix Plus 0.3.6.1.080416 [disabled]
* Tab Scope 0.2.2.8
* Tab Sidebar 2.0.1 [disabled]
* Tabhunter 0.6.4
* Taboo 0.2.1
* Tabs Menu 1.4.8
* TigerLogic ChunkIt!-Firefox 1.1.0.0056 [disabled]
* TotalToolbar 1.3 [disabled]
* Tree Style Tab 0.7.2008062001
* United States English Dictionary 3.0.3
* Update Notifier 0.1.5.4
* Update Scanner 2.2.3
* VideoGet FireFox extension 1.4
* Weave 0.2.4
* Wired-Marker 1.5.08052000
* Zotero 1.0.7

so i'm shocked, but apparently it has come to be timie to move on from both HTB and TMP.

i would sure love to see someone who knows how to do it take up the task of updating HTB. the combination of TMP and HTB was stable and i'd likely return to it, though i do like the vertical tab bar and especially the tab groups offered by Tab Kit..
wader

Post by wader »

I'm using Hide Tab Bar on Firefox 3.0, but had to cheat by editing the add-on package and installing locally. Otherwise, the functionality seems the same as under FF2 (for what I use, at least).
BigThunder1

Post by BigThunder1 »

Hi,

@ awedmortal

Lets hope HTB gets some attention by the developer or someone that knows how to fix it for FF3 compatibility. Better yet, hope Mozilla developers take note and incorporate it as a default function with options. I'm not willing to make the sacrifices you have at this point, but there comes a time when all things come to pass.

Interesting that you post your extn's list. I noticed a couple I hadn't heard of and checked them out, thanks for that at least. ;)

@ wader

wader wrote:I'm using Hide Tab Bar on Firefox 3.0, but had to cheat by editing the add-on package and installing locally. Otherwise, the functionality seems the same as under FF2 (for what I use, at least).

Curious. Did you just bump the 'max' version, or was there more to it? Any conflicts with other extn's? If it's more than just a version bump, Is it possible you could post your tweaked version for others to try (or maybe you could PM me to avoid any policy conflict that may cause here)?

Thanks...
~My mother
wader

Post by wader »

BigThunder1 wrote:Curious. Did you just bump the 'max' version, or was there more to it? Any conflicts with other extn's? If it's more than just a version bump, Is it possible you could post your tweaked version for others to try (or maybe you could PM me to avoid any policy conflict that may cause here)?

Sorry, it's just a version bump for dev.3.

I am still tracking down a potential add-in conflict which makes my Recent Pages pulldown display blank list entries with a circle next to the active page, a symptom seen only after I've been active in a browser session after a bit. At first I thought it was Hide Tab Bar, but the symptom showed even with that disabled during some tests.

EDIT: I recently uninstalled and reinstalled dev.3, and in Firefox 3.0.1 the Recent Pages pulldown list still blanks out after a seemingly random amount of browsing. However, after disabling the Hide Tab Bar add-in and restarting, I haven't seen the symptom yet. Hmm . . . will report here on longer-term testing results.

- wader
awedmortal

Post by awedmortal »

here is my note on the TMP forum for requests. there's been no responses from other users or the TMP author, so it is no doubt not high on a priority list. maybe some response from interested HTB users could help...

http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=26568#26568

what i liked about TMP + HTB was the ability to put the tab bar on the bottom and have it show only on a mouseover. i like the tab bar on the bottom so that the text of the page doesn't bounce around on the screen when the tab bar shows and hides.

in FF3 with TMP set for bottom tab bar, the effect of HTB is unexpected and not good -- doesn't pop up the tab bar and does somehow truncate the top .5 in or so of every page, so that for example the "remember pasword" rol down i FF3 doesn't show. UGH! -- a lethal problem.

it seems to me that the HTB extension needs some serious work beyond max version tweaking / override. without the author's engagement with this process of review and revision, there seems little hope for this work. i cannot find the author's email address anywhere for a personal contact.

meanwhile, i'm getting used to tab kit & tree style tabs -- with the vertical tab bar on the right. tab groups are great, thought the implementation isn't yet perfect in some ways, IMHO.
BigThunder1

Post by BigThunder1 »

wader wrote:
Sorry, it's just a version bump for dev.3.

EDIT: I recently uninstalled and reinstalled dev.3, and in Firefox 3.0.1 the Recent Pages pulldown list still blanks out after a seemingly random amount of browsing. However, after disabling the Hide Tab Bar add-in and restarting, I haven't seen the symptom yet. Hmm . . . will report here on longer-term testing results.

- wader

Thanks for the response wader. Sorry to hear your having issues/conflicts with it. I'm not a developer/programmer so I won't be able to help in that regard. I can do version bumps etc., but otherwise I don't mess with things. It is a good report though, and the kind of stuff that may help the developer if in fact he ever returns to this project. I certainly hope so at least. Maybe there's a surprise in the works and mums the word until it's released! LOL.... wishful thinking on my part..... [-o<. I really have no clue. It would be a nice surprise though!

awedmortal wrote:
what i liked about TMP + HTB was the ability to put the tab bar on the bottom and have it show only on a mouseover. i like the tab bar on the bottom so that the text of the page doesn't bounce around on the screen when the tab bar shows and hides.

in FF3 with TMP set for bottom tab bar, the effect of HTB is unexpected and not good -- doesn't pop up the tab bar and does somehow truncate the top .5 in or so of every page, so that for example the "remember pasword" rol down i FF3 doesn't show. UGH! -- a lethal problem.

You might like to try AutoHide to hide your tabbar for mouse over purposes. It doesn't conflict with TMP nor truncate the screen, and was recently updated for FF3. I've used it for a couple years now and wouldn't want to be without it. It offers the ability to hide any and/or all bars in settings via check-boxes at your discretion and will provide true full screen. Very well done extn for FF. It's an off-site developer, but auto-update is enabled so no worries there. Definitely a must have / keeper!

it seems to me that the HTB extension needs some serious work beyond max version tweaking / override. without the author's engagement with this process of review and revision, there seems little hope for this work. i cannot find the author's email address anywhere for a personal contact.

meanwhile, i'm getting used to tab kit & tree style tabs -- with the vertical tab bar on the right. tab groups are great, thought the implementation isn't yet perfect in some ways, IMHO.

Agreed; unless someone else that can code/develop will pick it up or incorporate it into their extn. TMP would be a great candidate because of it's popularity, but even though I use TMP I'd like to see HTB stay as a separate ext'n or incorporated as a default feature of FF itself with the existing options in tact (keyboard shortcut choice etc.), yet fix the autohide function. The autohide feature has never worked good and has always truncated things. I just turn that off and use the keyboard shortcut Alt-F11.

I'm using 'Tree Style Tabs' on Linux and I'm not very impressed. Vertigo is another ext'n I miss and hasn't been updated for FF3. I love the vertical tabbar with stacked tabs. Tree Style Tabs doesn't suit me. It won't show the tree structure, yet opens new tabs in that order/structure. I like my tabs to open relative to the existing tab so I can keep track of the order I open things. There are many other things I don't like about Tree Style Tabs , but this isn't the place for it.[-(

This is about HTB, and to that end,... lets hope someone capable takes notice of our activity/interest and revives this simple yet great ext'n!

8-)
~My mother
wader

Post by wader »

As an update on my testing, the version-bumped dev.3 *is* the likely cause of for turning the FF3.01 "Recent pages" pulldown list into blank entries.

Repeatable scenario:

With Hide Tab Bar enabled, bookmark a page (using no bookmarking add-ons, e.g., OpenBook): the "Recent pages" pulldown list, which previously showed the full names for each page title in the tab cache, is now populated with blank entries.

Disable Hide Tab Bar, restart FF3 and bookmark a page: the "Recent pages" list retains title text in the tab cache list.

Unless or until HTB is debugged (and, my ability to do so is currently limited), I'm using "Tree Style Tab 0.7.2008062001" with Autohide enabled - which essentially gives me the Opera-like, tabless UI that I crave (most likely, with larger overhead).

- wader
BigThunder1

Post by BigThunder1 »

Seems I picked up somewhere that FF3 has some major changes in the source code as well as the add-on system, and so logic dictates to me that the developers will have to update their extn's to work with FF3 with more than a version bump. Prior versions of FF allowed version bumps. This I think became common knowledge and practice for extn's that were unattended, which caused other conflicts and complaints to developers of different extn's where poor testing by users (if any at all) resulted in undue aggravation for many of the developers.

Users that had done their own version bumps would later install a properly coded and authorized ext'n and find errors or problems/conflicts arising as a result of the privately bumped ext'n, yet turn around and complain to the developer of the latest authorized ext'n the user had since installed, not realizing or understanding the ext'n the user bumped was in actuality the source of the problem/conflict.

Wader, it's good to know that you think your problem may very well be the result of your version bump for HTB. That's disappointing for me to hear because I had intended to try and bump HTB for myself. Rumor has it that extn's for FF3 must be re-coded to be compatible, but not being a developer myself I wouldn't know. Hopefully as stated in my earlier post we'll hear from the developer soon.

~ BigThunder1
~My mother
wader

Post by wader »

BigThunder1 wrote:. . . Rumor has it that extn's for FF3 must be re-coded to be compatible, but not being a developer myself I wouldn't know. Hopefully as stated in my earlier post we'll hear from the developer soon.

That may well be the case for certain interfaces and as a general recommendation.

FYI, I am also running happily with "Paste and Go 2" and "Formfiller" in bumped versions. The latter has an interesting Options dialog oddity under FF3, but it's easy to work around. Ah, what we do to keep our favorite add-ons.

My temporary solution to remove the tab bar (posted above) has been working great, though I still have hope that the HTB code will be adopted by some knowledgeable person with time on their hands :) .

- wader