[Ext] Hide Tab Bar 1.0dev.2 [2007-02-10]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

I'm sorry, I thought I'll have more time. I've just started my time in the army. I'm home only on the weekends... so maybe next week....
Gilad Shalit is Free! Was held captive by terrorists since June 2006 for 1941 days. Was only 19 y/o when kidnapped.

My Extensions:
Hide Tab Bar 1.0dev.2 | IMDb Preview 0.6.2 | Gmail RTL 0.1.1
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

if you want, you can have a look on the code i was working on untill Feb 25th. just in case you prefer not to wait...
http://www.zeichner.ws/jk/extensions/hi ... 2alpha.zip
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Hey, that's cool, I'm in a similar position being at University. I'll check out the code tomorrow... if I have time to do any programming over the next week, I'll post it up here for you.
Geva Zeichner

HideTabBar 0.2

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Version: 0.2
Size: 5.7KB
Date: 2005-10-06
Tested On: Firefox 1.0.7
Compatibility: Firefox 1.0 - 1.0+

<a href="http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/hidetabbar/hidetabbar-0.2-fx.xpi">Install v0.2</a>

<a href="viewtopic.php?t=220375">Back to topic's top</a>
<a href="viewtopic.php?t=220375&watch=topic" title="Get this topic's updates. Be the first to know when a new version comes out !">Subscribe this topic !</a>

Changes:
  • Autohide capabilities were added. You can activate it and control its delay time, from the options window.
  • A-Z and 0-9 key combinations were removed.
  • Now a checkmark dis and re-appears in the view menu when the tabbar is toggled.

2do:
  • Put an autohide "pin" button on the tab bar.
  • When the tabbar is auto-toggled, the bar should not move the page, creating a floating effect.
  • "Check to make sure that the user hasn't selected text and that the context menu isn't open, since having the tab bar appear may not be desirable under those circumstances."
  • Show the toggle shortcut key in the view menu.
  • Support all (most) keybord keys.

Notes:
  • I recommend unistalling version 0.1 before installing 0.2. That is just because there are some files no longer in use, so it's better to remove them I think.
  • After installation press any keybord key while the window is focused. That's how, for now, the default prefs are set.
Last edited by Geva Zeichner on February 9th, 2007, 8:56 am, edited 7 times in total.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Awesome. I'll post some feedback later :)
Zagin

Post by Zagin »

i have set firefox to hide the tab bar when only one tab is open, but while using autohide feature of your extension the tab bar pop ups even if only one tab open, is that normal or will you change this?

if your looking for good idea on how to show/hide the tab bar without the web page "bouncing" you might want to check the Autohide extension that those this well.

http://www.krickelkrackel.de/autohide/
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Cusser wrote:Awesome. I'll post some feedback later :)

Finally I got to it again... :)

Zagin wrote:i have set firefox to hide the tab bar when only one tab is open, but while using autohide feature of your extension the tab bar pop ups even if only one tab open, is that normal or will you change this?

That's normal, I don't see a reason to change this at the moment. But if it really bothers people, I'll change it in the future.

Zagin wrote:if your looking for good idea on how to show/hide the tab bar without the web page "bouncing" you might want to check the Autohide extension that those this well.

http://www.krickelkrackel.de/autohide/

Thanx, maybe I'll check it out.
Zagin

Post by Zagin »

i have a small feature request. i use mouse gesture to close tabs and if i can't see how many tabs i have up because the tab bar is hidden, i can close the last tab and thus closing FF.

so why not add a small number that indicates the number of opened and hidden tabs, maybe a number in the status bar, a placeable button on a toolbar or maybe a number just above the scroll bar?

good idea?
Geva Zeichner

Help

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Sure, I'll try to add it as an option in the future.

Now, can someone help me with something?
I looked at the Autohide extension mentioned above, and figured out how to move the page (btw, is there another way?):

Code: Select all

getBrowser().markupDocumentViewer.move(0, -50);

But about resizing its height, I just can't understand how it works.
I found that the line that do this in the extension is:

this.sizer.setAttribute("style","margin-bottom:"+ -this.delta +"px;")
and

this.sizer.removeAttribute("style")

I can see it has something to do with css... but I've never touched FF's css, so I'm not sure how to make the line working in my ext.

I havn't started working on adding the pin button yet, but if you could give me some tips about it too, it could help me when I get there.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Okay, here's my feedback (finally)...

1) The tab bar only seems to open when your cursor is right at the top of the space it should occupy... ideally, it should open when you place your mouse over any of the required space.

2) It stays open when you move to other areas of the toolbar, which I'm not sure is desirable. Either way, this is less major than #1.

3) There should probably be a delay before activating the tab-bar, just as there is for closing (see Optimoz) for a great example of how hover activation can work for chrome panels.

4) Scrolling the page appropriately would be great - looks like you're on that one... :)
Lost User 9766

Post by Lost User 9766 »

That seems like a useful extension. I have similar functionality in Menux 0.2.4.2.
+ show/hide tabbar
+ F8 toggles tabbar
+ toolbarbutton of tabs for switching
+ auto hide/show locationbar on mouse position

http://markbokil.org/index.php?section= ... nstall.php

-mark
Geva Zeichner

HideTabBar 0.2.1

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Version: 0.2.1
Size: 5.7KB
Date: 2005-12-03
Tested On: Firefox 1.5
Compatibility: Firefox 1.0 - 1.5.0.*

<a href="http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/hidetabbar/hidetabbar-0.2.1-fx.xpi">Install HideTB 0.2.1</a>

<a href="viewtopic.php?t=220375">Back to topic's top</a>
<a href="viewtopic.php?t=220375&watch=topic" title="Get this topic's updates. Be the first to know when a new version comes out !">Subscribe this topic !</a>

Changes:
  • Compatible with FF 1.5
  • Minor change in folder sructure
Last edited by Geva Zeichner on February 9th, 2007, 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
feather

Post by feather »

Hi there, this is a really handy plugin, I was just searching for something like this. While I don't use the keyboard shortcut feature, the auto-hide feature is great.

One slight bug which might have been overlooked: The extension works fine when the tab bar is on top, but when the tab bar is at the bottom, it doesn't get hidden except when the mouse cursor is BELOW the tab bar (which means in the region of the Windows task bar).

I'm assuming you coded the extension with the assumption that the tab bars are on top, and auto-hide when the mouse cursor is below the tab bar.

Is there a quick work around so that the extension works when the tab bar is at the bottom of the browser?

Thanks.
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Yes you are right, I didn't thought about that case. Thank you.
I'll see if I can fix it for the next version. But that release will not be soon. I don't have much time these days to work on it. I wish I had.
feather

Post by feather »

I had a look at the hidetbAutoHide.js file and added a couple of lines to your posOut() function. The tab bar will now hide whenever the mouse cursor is below or above the bar, allowing for the tab bar to be positioned at the top or bottom of the screen. It's just a quick workaround: The page display doesn't shift when the tab bar is at the bottom (the way you've made it move when the tab bar is on top and visible). I couldn't find the code in your files that does that.

Original:

// ==================================
//  function posOut()
// Checks if the mouse is below the TB
function posOut()
{
   // If the mouse is below the TB
   if (e.screenY > tbBox.screenY + tbBox.height)
   {
      return (true);
   }

return (false);
}

Amendment:

//  function posOut()
// Checks if the mouse is below (or above) the TB
function posOut()
{
   // If the mouse is below the TB
   if (e.screenY > tbBox.screenY + tbBox.height)
   {
      return (true);
   }
        // If the mose is above the TB
        if (e.screenY < tbBox.screenY)
   {
      return (true);
   }
   return (false);
}