MozillaZine

[Ext] Hide Tab Bar 1.0dev.2 [2007-02-10]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
BigThunder1

User avatar
 
Posts: 22
Joined: September 12th, 2005, 9:55 pm
Location: Planet Earth

Post Posted July 20th, 2008, 9:50 pm

wader wrote:Ah, what we do to keep our favorite add-ons.
- wader


:lol: Indeed!

Regards,
BigThunder1
It all comes out in the wash..... have a great day, and don't get dirty!
~My mother

awedmortal
 
Posts: 14
Joined: November 6th, 2006, 1:44 pm

Post Posted July 23rd, 2008, 7:31 pm

fyi

i've found it is possible to run tree style tabs with all in one sidebar and both tab kit and tab mix plus satisfactorily. the key it to use the hide tab bar of tree style tabs (which are set to be vertical, on the right)

i don't use multiple tab handler. tab scope, tab sidebar, tabhunter, and swifttabs are also computable.

gettin' there

Geva Zeichner

User avatar
 
Posts: 125
Joined: September 14th, 2004, 9:42 pm
Location: Israel

Post Posted July 26th, 2008, 4:00 am

Hi everyone,

I'm writing to you in response to a PM I got from BigThunder1.
He was wondering about my intentions for this extension.
I'm currently not working on HideTabBar as I have no time to. When I do I usually work on my other extension IMDb Preview. So unfortunately I have no "surprise" release waiting.
As do you, I'm also interested in seeing the extension being resurrected. So if someone here wants to take on development of a new version, he's more than welcome to.
And BTW, let me say that I've read all your posts here, and I'm still reading them each time they are posted, as I'm subscribed to the thread. I of course still care about what happens with this extension. I haven't replied recently just because I didn't had any news.
Gilad Shalit is Free! Was held captive by terrorists since June 2006 for 1941 days. Was only 19 y/o when kidnapped.

My Extensions:
Hide Tab Bar 1.0dev.2 | IMDb Preview 0.6.2 | Gmail RTL 0.1.1

BigThunder1

User avatar
 
Posts: 22
Joined: September 12th, 2005, 9:55 pm
Location: Planet Earth

Post Posted July 26th, 2008, 8:24 am

Hi Geva,

First, thank you for your open and quick response to my PM. I'm not a developer myself and wouldn't have any idea about maintaining HTB, but I hope someone worthy and knowledgeable takes on the task of keeping it as simple as it is and effective for it's intended purpose without trying to turn it into something else ...as so often happens with abandoned extension's. I'm disheartened to hear your moving on too other ventures at this time, and obviously time is of the essence for you. Maybe you could pass it along to the FF development team and ask that it be incorporated as a default feature with all current options/concepts as is -- in tact.

Actually, I find it difficult to believe the FF dev team hasn't thought to implement this as a default feature yet on their own! Screen real-estate is a big concern for so many on a daily basis that even hiding the tab bar for a short period for various reasons is priceless. I certainly hope this isn't the end of this feature offering or your extension, and, hopefully there is someone monitoring this thread out there that will indeed take up the challenge of resurrecting this simple but important extension/feature that so many users have come to rely on ...such as myself and countless others out there that remain silent in waiting.

I've been using FF since v0.7.3, and HTB since it's inception. To lose this feature, for me, is like a part of the browser is broken with no fix and will always be a bruised spot of the UI until it is. I'm an aspiring CG artist, not a programmer. So it is ...that I lay in wait, hoping for the resurrection of HTB from the ashes as though it was the phoenix itself.

If you change your mind Geva and find the time to resurrect HTB, a silent but worthy collection of users will be forever grateful. Thanks for your respectable time and honorable response. Wishing you the best along whatever path life takes you and yours.

Regards,
BigThunder1... 8-)
It all comes out in the wash..... have a great day, and don't get dirty!
~My mother

Shingoshi

User avatar
 
Posts: 170
Joined: October 18th, 2007, 6:58 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon

Post Posted August 11th, 2008, 11:54 am

I would definitely second BigThunder1's comment above. I have been miserable without an upgrade to this extension. And just like BigThunder1, I know nothing about writing extensions. I don't know how large the extension actually is (I could check and find out), but Geva it would be nice if you could write an explanation of how it works. I have done relatively simple things like create userscripts for Firefox, but I don't think that's anywhere near the level of complexity involved with extensions. However, it was because mcdavis941 took the time to explain to me a few things, that I was able to get a handle on what to do.

If you were willing to state in an outline how the extension works, I might be able to grasp the fundamentals. Maybe, just maybe there might be enough of us the work through the details, that a group of us could do this together. I don't know if that's asking for more trouble than it's worth or not, like too many spoons in the pot, so to speak. But something really needs to be done to update this, and I understand perfectly well about the lack of time, or resources in general.

Maybe this forum could become the place for collaborative effort in reviving this. Then you could simply drop in and tutor us as we post our code samples here, and correct the mistakes that we're most likely to make.

Shingoshi
The distribution of knowledge must not be the commodity of tyranny.
Solution: The immediate equalization of all knowledge among all beings.

alicon
 
Posts: 2
Joined: August 25th, 2008, 6:49 am

Post Posted August 25th, 2008, 7:32 am

Hi everybody,

I just installed an modified version of this extension to work with firefox 3.1 and everything works fine. I just want for further development a new behavior when you start firefox... if you hide the tab bar with whatever shortcuts when you restart your browser the tab bar to remain hidden.

I have installed "all in one sidebar" and "firefox showcase" extensions and now when i go with the mouse near the left side of the browser it pops out the "all in one sidebar" and there i have all the tabs with thumbnails opened and i really dont need the tab bar from firefox...

I hope there will be a next version with this little very important behavior, the tab bar to remain hidden after you restart firefox. The autohide option doesn't help me. The tab bar pops out when i go with the mouse over the menus... and i don't want to see the tab bar at all.

Or it can just be added a check box with the description "Hide Tab Bar" and that other option to be fazed out... it will work just fine for me.

Have a nice Day,
Ali

awedmortal
 
Posts: 14
Joined: November 6th, 2006, 1:44 pm

Post Posted September 2nd, 2008, 11:36 pm

alicon wrote:Hi everybody,

I just installed an modified version of this extension to work with firefox 3.1 and everything works fine.

Have a nice Day,
Ali



where did you get the modification? did you modify the extension yourself? willing to share? thanks in advance, amortal

alicon
 
Posts: 2
Joined: August 25th, 2008, 6:49 am

Post Posted September 3rd, 2008, 3:52 am

No i didn't modify the extension myself, there was someone that post it this link http://www.badongo.com/file/10456158 on the official place to get the extension ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... splay/1337 )

metal321
 
Posts: 85
Joined: July 3rd, 2005, 10:40 am

Post Posted September 3rd, 2008, 7:48 pm

I've tried this modified version and it doesn't work for me. I know how to modify it and did it myself first and it didn't work and then I tried this version and got the same results. It installs fine but when I try to use it in the View menu, it doesn't do anything.

just_want_2_win
 
Posts: 2
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Post Posted January 28th, 2009, 4:13 pm

Geva Zeichner wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm writing to you in response to a PM I got from BigThunder1.
He was wondering about my intentions for this extension.
I'm currently not working on HideTabBar as I have no time to. When I do I usually work on my other extension IMDb Preview. So unfortunately I have no "surprise" release waiting.
As do you, I'm also interested in seeing the extension being resurrected. So if someone here wants to take on development of a new version, he's more than welcome to.
And BTW, let me say that I've read all your posts here, and I'm still reading them each time they are posted, as I'm subscribed to the thread. I of course still care about what happens with this extension. I haven't replied recently just because I didn't had any news.



I am very interested in taking on development of this extension. Please let me know if what you said above still applies; if so just post a reply on here and I'll give you my personal contact information so that we can discuss. THANKS!

wader
 
Posts: 16
Joined: November 4th, 2007, 7:53 pm

Post Posted March 27th, 2009, 10:24 am

After more experimentation, I've recently moved to the Tab Mix Plus extension - tuning its options down to hide the tab bar on a permanent basis. So, no timeouts when hovering, etc. but I find myself no longer needing tabs in day-to-day. All my switching is done through the Tabs Menu-enabled list.

It works great and seems lightweight enough for my needs.

FYI.

- wader

awedmortal
 
Posts: 14
Joined: November 6th, 2006, 1:44 pm

Post Posted March 30th, 2009, 9:01 am

i just wonder, are you now working on this extension. did Geva get in touch with you? here's hoping... :) ken

just_want_2_win wrote:
Geva Zeichner wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm writing to you in response to a PM I got from BigThunder1.
He was wondering about my intentions for this extension.
I'm currently not working on HideTabBar as I have no time to. When I do I usually work on my other extension IMDb Preview. So unfortunately I have no "surprise" release waiting.
As do you, I'm also interested in seeing the extension being resurrected. So if someone here wants to take on development of a new version, he's more than welcome to.
And BTW, let me say that I've read all your posts here, and I'm still reading them each time they are posted, as I'm subscribed to the thread. I of course still care about what happens with this extension. I haven't replied recently just because I didn't had any news.


I am very interested in taking on development of this extension. Please let me know if what you said above still applies; if so just post a reply on here and I'll give you my personal contact information so that we can discuss. THANKS!

just_want_2_win
 
Posts: 2
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Post Posted July 7th, 2009, 2:32 pm

awedmortal wrote:i just wonder, are you now working on this extension. did Geva get in touch with you? here's hoping... :) ken

just_want_2_win wrote:
Geva Zeichner wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm writing to you in response to a PM I got from BigThunder1.
He was wondering about my intentions for this extension.
I'm currently not working on HideTabBar as I have no time to. When I do I usually work on my other extension IMDb Preview. So unfortunately I have no "surprise" release waiting.
As do you, I'm also interested in seeing the extension being resurrected. So if someone here wants to take on development of a new version, he's more than welcome to.
And BTW, let me say that I've read all your posts here, and I'm still reading them each time they are posted, as I'm subscribed to the thread. I of course still care about what happens with this extension. I haven't replied recently just because I didn't had any news.


I am very interested in taking on development of this extension. Please let me know if what you said above still applies; if so just post a reply on here and I'll give you my personal contact information so that we can discuss. THANKS!


Geva did not get in touch with me although I waited a couple of months.

Anyway, I am going to take Geva's word above about letting someone resurrect development of this great little add on. I have submitted the newly tweaked version of this add-on to Mozilla Add-ons for approval and publication. Please check in to Mozilla Add-ons periodically. If it is accepted, it'll be called Hide Tab Bar Redux and I'll give full credit to Geva while stating the I am continuing the project from here on out.

pvaiyapu
 
Posts: 1
Joined: July 27th, 2009, 10:40 am

Post Posted July 27th, 2009, 10:41 am

aweomse job

awedmortal
 
Posts: 14
Joined: November 6th, 2006, 1:44 pm

Post Posted July 29th, 2009, 7:05 am

here's the link
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12716

thanks for doing this "labor of love"

i've switched to TreeStyleTabs, which has an auto hide feature and vertical tabs. so short of starting a new profile i can't at the moment test this.

please post: does this version work as expected? does it hide only via key-press, or timed / automatically? does it show via mouse-over? is it compatable with TMP? with tabbar on the screen bottom? generally, what tab-relaed extensions do people find it compatible / incompatible with?

i hope it works well, and merits implementation in a custom profile!

Return to Extension/Theme Releases


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests