[Ext] Hide Tab Bar 1.0dev.2 [2007-02-10]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Old Shingoshi

Continued errors...

Post by Old Shingoshi »

onemen wrote:Geva test this Hide_Tab_Bar_1.0dev.3a

this version work with Tabmix and support vertical tabbar

I just installed this to test it. I am sorry to report that I am experiencing the same behavior as before. The tabbar doesn't hide in the manner as expected. What I am experiencing is having the tabbar open when the cursor is in the main window, and close when the cursor is positioned over the navigation bar. So, for me, the situation is unchanged.

I hope that when you altered this extension, that you actually installed the Widefox-2.0 userChrome.css first before beginning. If you didn't do this, you will have no idea how the script is supposed to function. If you have indeed done this, maybe you need to see my extension list to see if you recognize another extension which have been known to cause problems before.

The other thing. If you have not tested relocating the tabbar through the preferences, you will also have no idea what affect doing so has. You can't just test the extension with the tabbar in the default position (top), and think that if it works, it will also work on the bottom. When TMP+ sets the tabbar on the top, Widefox repositions it to the left. It may not become apparent until you set the tabbar on the bottom (through the preferences), where it is repositioned to the right, that the misbehavior is clearly shown.

So, for the record. First disable Hide Tab Bar. Then install the userChrome.css for Widefox. Restart TMP+. Your tabbar will now be on the left, if you had it set to the top. It will be on the right, if you had it set to the bottom. Test it for awhile before proceeding. If you have not identified any errors, re-enable Hide Tab Bar. Now, continue testing as you did before. Test the tabbar in both positions. Both on top/left and bottom/right. Make sure the tabbar hides as you would expect it to. If it doesn't, my guess is that the cursor location is confused by the repositioning of the tabbar. Somehow, the position of the tabbar is directly connected to the perceived location of the cursor. If I knew how to fix this, I would immediately assist both of you in fixing this. But in the meantime, I can only give detailed reports of the errors I experience.

Once again, I am posting the link for Widefox-2.0.
http://jrweare.googlepages.com/browser2.0
Old Shingoshi

Post by Old Shingoshi »

Add this to your <profile>/chrome/userChrome.css file (included here is the whole file). For help on this see Firefox help.

/*
* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning
*/
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

/* works in in FF2.0 */

#content > tabbox {
-moz-box-orient: horizontal;
}

.tabbrowser-strip {
-moz-box-orient: vertical;
/* note: you can set this to -moz-scrollbars-vertical instead,
but then the scrollbar will *always* be visible. this way
there is never a scrollbar, so it behaves like the tab bar
normally does */
overflow: -moz-scrollbars-none;
}

.tabbrowser-tabs {
/* min-width: 50ex; */ /* >1680 pixels screens */
min-width: 40ex; /* =1680,1600 pixels screens */
/* min-width: 35ex; */ /* =1440 pixels screens */
/* min-width: 30ex; */ /* <1440> stack > vbox > hbox*/
.tabbrowser-tabs > stack > vbox > hbox > hbox {
-moz-box-orient: vertical;
-moz-box-align: stretch;
}

.tabbrowser-tabs > stack > vbox > hbox > hbox > tab {
-moz-box-align: start;
}
/* to put the tabs on the right un-comment this line (not needed if using Tab Mix Plus)
#content > tabbox {-moz-box-direction: reverse;} */
/***** Tabbar *****/

/* Background for tabbrowser strip */
tabs.tabbrowser-tabs {
background-color: none !important;
background: url("bkgrd\\topbar.jpg") !important;
}

/* stop refcontrol context menu item */
#refcontrol_options, #refcontrol_options_link, #refcontrol_options_image, #refcontrol_sep
{ display: none !important; }

/* remove the search button (magnifying glass) */
.search-go-button-stack { display: none !important; }

/* remove the search engine drop-down button as this line */
/* .searchbar-engine-button { display: none !important } */
onemen

Post by onemen »

Shingoshi

try to create new profile and test it again.

i did all the test om window XP before i post the new version.

maybe its platform issue.?

from Tools menu open the error console

enter in the Evaluate field:
var win = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/appshell/window-mediator;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIWindowMediator).getMostRecentWindow("navigator:browser"); win.HideTB.tabBarOrient; click Evaluate

tabBarOrient will return the "-moz-box-orient" for tabbrowser-strip it suppose to be vertical for you
Old Shingoshi

Post by Old Shingoshi »

Onemen, you're great. Thanks for your continued efforts. I get nothing when I enter that into the error console. I don't know if any of this has anything to do with the fact that I am using Linux or not. I planned on contacting the author of Widefox, but fell asleep last night before doing so. Let me get a hold of him and see what he may have to say. I will also post to him the info that you left here. I'll get back to you.

Shingoshi
snapbrowse

Post by snapbrowse »

Hi Xavian

I've already listed HTB as incompatible with Widefox on www.widefox.com. It would be good to get HTB working with Widefox to save space on non-widescreens. A possibly better alternate for such extreme space saving would be to use "autohide" http://www.krickelkrackel.de/autohide/ .

I tested HTB 1.0dev3a (http://stashbox.org/14548/Hide_Tab_Bar_1.0dev.3a.xpi):

Result - partly worked on Windows...
Worked: hiding, unhiding, pin
What didn't work: 1. after a while it stopped working (then either the tabbar did not unhide, or hide) or 2. "show pin button" is not remembered.
Improvement: 3. pin button better not to take a column, but instead a row (like a tab)

I will test on Linux later.

regards Johnathon

p.s. I'll post this in TMP too....
Old Shingoshi

Post by Old Shingoshi »

A possibly better alternate for such extreme space saving would be to use "autohide" http://www.krickelkrackel.de/autohide/ .

I just tried installing AutoHide. It doesn't seem to work with Linux. Either that, or I don't know how to make the tabbar hide as it should.
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Just dropped by to post the number of downloads on AMO I've just seen (22222 d/ls - v0.2.2)... Didn't check it for more than a week, quite a coincidence :)
Last edited by Geva Zeichner on June 4th, 2007, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilad Shalit is Free! Was held captive by terrorists since June 2006 for 1941 days. Was only 19 y/o when kidnapped.

My Extensions:
Hide Tab Bar 1.0dev.2 | IMDb Preview 0.6.2 | Gmail RTL 0.1.1
Trek1701

Post by Trek1701 »

Hi,

Would be possible to add an option to only hide on full screen?

Thanks,
Trek1701
mangodurian

Post by mangodurian »

Any chance to make it possible to just hide selected tabs? like to just hide one tab and make it invisible to someone looking over ones shoulder?
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

ALP wrote:Hi, developer!

Could you add these points to the "todo" list ?
- make it possible to unhide the tab bar when the Fullscreen mode is turned on

PS.
My FF 2.0.0.1 also have these extensions:
- Autohide 1.1.4

I know it's been a few months since this post, but to fix this problem you can select 'Show Always' for 'Tab Bar' in the Autohide options menu. That way the tab bar shows when you move the mouse to the top of the screen and disappears with the delay set with this extension (or it seems to for me, if I understand what you want.)
pepo.k

bug with pin

Post by pepo.k »

Hi!

first thanks to the author, but
Is there anybody who can solve one small bug in the versions 1.0dev.0-2?:
I was trying to hide the pin from tab bar in the options menu. But after next start of Firefox was the ugly PIN in the tab bar back again (-: cost place :-). I have tried it a few more times but without success. I have no idea how to solve this.
I really like this version of Hide tab bar. extension. Becasuse of in the older - stable version 0.2 is not floating function while showing tab bar.
One another task: why is it not possible to pick whatever key for hide/show of tab bar anymore. (but only the Ctrl + F11)?!

I'm using last stable Portable version of Firefox, but I think this should be not the root cause...

Could anybody help me? Could anybody make an upgrade of the last version for me and other people?

Kind regards

PS: Sorry for my English
nok32

Post by nok32 »

things i would like to see:

-an option to turn autohide completely off (so it doesnt reappear on mouse hover)
-an option to continue hiding the tab bar, even when one creates a new tab (with ctrl+t)
-completely independent fullscreen mode.

i will be very happy to see these features. i would like to forgo using the task bar altogether (i like just using ctrl+tab or firefox showcase, set to a quicker hotkey).
Angee

Post by Angee »

Hi Geva,
first of all many thanks for this wonderful add-on,
it works well on my new eeepc with only a 800x480 pixels screen
and some sort of Xandros Linux.
At this resolution every few lines of saving screen is so much more
space for webcontent!

Will there be sometime be a "Hide Bookmarks-Toolbar"?
That would be great, and millions of eee-Users would love you.

Thanks and Greetings
Angee
arcooke

Post by arcooke »

Great extension.. this is exactly what I was looking for. However, I have two suggestions and one bug report.

Bug:
- I have Firefox set up so when I middle click a link, it openes in a new tab. When I do this with your extension enabled, the tab bar flashes visible for a split second then disappears again. Not a huge deal but it nudges the page down a bit.

Suggestions:
- I don't know if this is possible, but it would be really nice if the tab bar would re-appear on top of whatever may be below it. It's tricky to explain but right now when you hover over the toolbars to make the tab bar reappear, it appears and pushes everything below it down. It would be great if it would just reappear on top of whatever's below it. Hope that makes sense.
- Please cache the favicons. Every time the tab bar reappears, the favicons reload.. it adds a small but relatively annoying bit of lag to the whole process. Especially with a lot of tabs open.

Thanks, and great work so far.
The RedBurn

Post by The RedBurn »

arcooke> You'll want try the latest development version which implements at least two of your suggestions.