[Ext] Cookie Controller, now with DOM storage

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
lovemyfoxy

Re: [Ext] Cookie Controller, now with DOM storage

Post by lovemyfoxy »

lithopsian wrote:
I don't restore sessions, don't even know how.

You don't have to. Firefox will do it for you in all sorts of situations. Usually though you'll see a web page loaded when you start, so perhaps not that. Still, if truly deleted cookies come back without you even visiting the page then you have some major issues. I'd keep digging because that's not right.

I just removed about 10 of those re-occurring cookies. I have no idea how to fix it, so it's just one of those little annoyances of life. I'll let the programmers dig.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

v2.1 is coming out, and a few lucky users have already tried the beta version:

It has artificial intelligence! Well at least a little tweak so the exception type added by pressing the perm button is picked from "accept", "accept as a first party only" and "accept for the session only", based on the type of exception you set most often. The tooltip and context menu will tell you which exception is going to be set, but hopefully it will soon settle down to setting the one you want most of the time. Removing exceptions, and setting the block exception (when the default permission is to accept cookies) are unchanged.

There is also a little hint to a feature that has been around for a long time. Some of the submenus can be kept open when you activate an item, for example the cookie browsing submenus. Now there is a small icon and a tooltip to tell you about it. Clicking the menu itself will hold it open until it is clicked again, and the pin icon will indicate when this is done, or you can just hold down the Ctrl key if you want the menu to stay open when you click an item.

The site automatically selected when the about:permissions dialog is open now better reflects the page you are on and the preferences you have set. It can still be confusing, but that is the nature of a page that mangles visited page domains and all sorts of different sorts of permissions into one dialog, without any indication that the permission type may not be for the same domain.
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

I'm missing function to temporarly refuse cookie and withdrawal of all temporary permits as in cookie monster.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I still have the recurring cookies, despite settings for "session-only." I have to keep culling them manually several times a day.

When I use the "cookies exceptions" list and choose a button, the sites don't appear in the list

So---This add-on is not working for me.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Diamanti wrote:I'm missing function to temporarly refuse cookie and withdrawal of all temporary permits as in cookie monster.

Why would I write an addon to do what Cookie Monster does? There is already Cookie Monster.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:I still have the recurring cookies, despite settings for "session-only." I have to keep culling them manually several times a day.

When I use the "cookies exceptions" list and choose a button, the sites don't appear in the list

So---This add-on is not working for me.

Session only won't stop cookies being set. It just deletes them at the end of the session.

Uninstall the addon and test, because this issue has nothing to do with the addon.

Block all cookies and see if they come back. That would really narrow down the possibilities.

Then post some screen shots because I have no clue what your settings are, what these cookies are, or where they're coming from.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Some addons create cookies every time Firefox starts. These are not subject to the normal cookie permissions and there is nothing you can do to stop them being created, except uninstall those addons.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

When upgrading to Firefox 22, or higher from any lower version, your cookie permissions may change unexpectedly. This is due to Firefox changing the default permissions from accept all cookies to accept cookies only from site you've visited. This will affect people who currently have the default cookie settings, and your permissions will change. There may be rare situations where this causes a site to no longer function properly, if it relies on third party cookies but you haven't previously set any cookies from the third party.

This will happen whether or not Cookie Controller is installed. If you have Cookie Controller set to force and on or off state at startup then you won't be affected, because Cookie Controller will set the permissions you have configured. If you are going with the flow and accepting whatever permissions were set previously, *and* those permissions were the default (allow all cookies) then those permissions will change to the new default (allow cookies only from visited sites) when you upgrade to FF22. Other than that Cookie Controller will continue to work, with complete support for the new permissions type, and you can continue to switch your global cookie permissions at any time using the toggle button.
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

Why do I get a series of errors like this?
Timestamp: 29/07/2013 18.23.56
Error: [Exception... "Failure" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://cookiecontroller/content/cookieController.jsm :: cookieControllerModule.trackStorage :: line 259" data: no]
Source File: chrome://cookiecontroller/content/cookieController.jsm
Line: 259
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Hi Diamanti,

There is a bug starting in Firefox 23 that causes this error. This means that DOM storage item counts will not be updated dynamically while you are on a particular page, although they should be correct when you navigate to a page. Even switching to a different tab and back will reset the storage item counts,

I notice that your tag line says Firefox 22. Is that true? Do you get this error in Firefox 22?

Strangely, Firefox 24 doesn't have this error and Cookie Controller works again (as of Aurora 24a2). I'm waiting to see if the bug will be fixed for 23 release, and if not whether there is some workaround that I can put in.

Firefox bug:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=898874
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

I've uploaded 2.5 with a workaround for this issue. Expect it to take about 3 weeks to be reviewed, but meanwhile it is available from the versions page if anyone really needs it. Only Firefox 23 should be affected.

Edit: approved already! That shows me, not that I'm complaining ;)
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

errors disappeared, ty. FF23b
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Diamanti wrote:errors disappeared, ty. FF23b

Thanks for the feedback. I've "fixed" things before, only to find out weeks later that loads of people were still getting the error :lol:
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

Do it is possible to fix this little warning:)
Timestamp: 27/08/2013 18.26.47
Warning: TypeError: anonymous function does not always return a value
Source File: chrome://cookiecontroller/content/cookieController.js
Line: 110
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Diamanti wrote:Do it is possible to fix this little warning:)
Timestamp: 27/08/2013 18.26.47
Warning: TypeError: anonymous function does not always return a value
Source File: chrome://cookiecontroller/content/cookieController.js
Line: 110

Of course it is possible, but it isn't likely to happen. The function works perfectly in all regards. The strict javascript interpreter is just being overly picky about trying to protect me from myself. You must have a non-standard preference setting (javascript.options.strict) to see this message.