[Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13 - January 30, 2017

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
DN123ABC

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13 - January 30, 2017

Post by DN123ABC »

Is this extension still being worked on by anyone? Is it "Morac"? I'd say if so, we're about due for an update, or at least a word that something is being worked on; otherwise, I think it is time to start reconsidering options, and there are not many, if any at all.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

DN123ABC wrote:Is this extension still being worked on by anyone? Is it "Morac"? I'd say if so, we're about due for an update, or at least a word that something is being worked on; otherwise, I think it is time to start reconsidering options, and there are not many, if any at all.
Again?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14749995
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Frank Lion wrote:
DN123ABC wrote:Is this extension still being worked on by anyone? Is it "Morac"? I'd say if so, we're about due for an update, or at least a word that something is being worked on; otherwise, I think it is time to start reconsidering options, and there are not many, if any at all.
Again?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14749995

No, STILL!
Question2

Post by Question2 »

After upgrading to firefox 54.0 64 bit, session manager is now causing repeated CTDs with no error messages. No CTDs occur with the addon disabled. I think its crashing every time it tries to save a new session, because the frequency is around the same as the frequency of the auto save.

Any chance that this can get fixed?
retroj

Post by retroj »

Hello,

I am experiencing an issue with the Session Manager window where the window content gets clipped off. I am using a tiling window manager (xmonad) if that makes any difference. The only way I can get to the buttons at the bottom of the window is to maximize the window.

http://retroj.net/scratch/20170624-screenshot.png

Thanks for the extension!
Stilett0

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.12 - March 17, 2016

Post by Stilett0 »

Stilett0 wrote:2. Also, I don't know if this is solveable (it probably is not), but I've noticed for years now that if you have reopened Firefox after crashing, with Session Manager installed, once the Load Session menu appears, if you choose not to load a session but keep the menu open, and switch to the main window and start opening browser tabs, and then Firefox crashes AGAIN, that the session Session Manager saves for that session is corrupt and when reopening Firefox it will show that it maybe only captured one out of two dozen tabs, if that. The rest will be about:blank, and for some reason it will claim there were 5 or 6 times as many tabs open at the time than there were. (Hopefully you can understand that description.)
The behavior of this changed a month or two ago. Now what happens is that the "Current Browsing Session" that gets saved upon the second crash seems to be filled with quasi-random pages from browser history, but NOT what was open at time of the recent crash. At least the dozens of about:blank pages have all been trimmed.

If there's anything that can be done about this, it would be appreciated. Again, the short version: if the browser has recently crashed, and comes back up with Session Manager open, and then you start surfing the Internet and creating tabs while leaving the Session Manager session picker interface open and not selecting a session to load - and then the browser crashes AGAIN, then the saved session is corrupt and not what was most recently open.
retroj

Post by retroj »

Hello,

The way that I have settled on using Session Manager is to use it to save and restore individual windows. It would be nice if I could configure Session Manager so that when loading a session, the default action was "Append" so that I didn't have to click it every time.

Also, I notice that this forum thread is huge - have you considered using Github or similar with a proper issue tracker?

Thank you
avada

Post by avada »

retroj wrote: Also, I notice that this forum thread is huge - have you considered using Github or similar with a proper issue tracker?
Way too late for that. SM won't be available starting with FF57. Also the author doesn't seem interested in updating the addon. (Probably in no small part because of this.)
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

avada wrote:Way too late for that. SM won't be available starting with FF57. Also the author doesn't seem interested in updating the addon. (Probably in no small part because of this.)
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add ... I/sessions
Use the sessions API to list, and restore, tabs and windows that have been closed while the browser has been running.

The sessions.getRecentlyClosed() function returns an array of tabs.Tab and windows.Window objects, representing tabs and windows that have been closed since the browser was running, up to the maximum defined in sessions.MAX_SESSION_RESULTS.

You can then restore a window or tab using the sessions.restore() function. Restoring doesn't just reopen the tab: it also restores the tab's navigation history so the back/forward buttons will work.
It looks like it is possible to implement basic SM functionality using WebExtensions API.
Sorry for my poor English.
Morac

Post by Morac »

GHM113 wrote: It looks like it is possible to implement basic SM functionality using WebExtensions API.
The WebExtensions API allows reopening closed tabs and windows, but that's it. Also these don't persist after the browser is closed and reopened. Basically all SM would be able to do is reopen closed tabs.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

@Morac,

Will Session Mgr. carry over to the Webextension format?
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Morac

Post by Morac »

If Mozilla adds the necessary API, but at the moment that doesn't exist.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Morac wrote:If Mozilla adds the necessary API, but at the moment that doesn't exist.
Thanks. [-(
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Morac wrote:The WebExtensions API allows reopening closed tabs and windows, but that's it. Also these don't persist after the browser is closed and reopened. Basically all SM would be able to do is reopen closed tabs.
Thank you! I created a thread on reddit, here is an interesting comment from Firefox dev:
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... r/djt10jc/
I think this may get fixed by this bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1322485 which links to this WE API https://developer.chrome.com/extensions ... od-discard. It is dependent on this bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1284886 which has active work going on.

I seem to remember (don't take it as gospel!) that they intended to implement it differently from Chrome and allow tabs to be saved in the exact way that session store and Session Manager unloads tabs.
According to this comment, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 284886#c18 both bugs should be fixed by 57. Could anyone explain, please: do these bugs make any additional Session Manager functionality possible? Thank you.
Sorry for my poor English.
vdohnal

Post by vdohnal »

Would it be possible to add to backup/restore functionality also the desktop number where the window was placed?
I sort Firefox windows to several Win10 desktops, so after restarting Firefox it would be great to have windows opened on original desktops.