[Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13 - January 30, 2017

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
unwina

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.7.7 - Sep 18, 2011

Post by unwina »

Morac,

unwina wrote:"Exc in ev handl: TypeError: brw.parentNode is null about:blank"

...plus other JS errors of similar kind that I thought were SM issues.

It seems that these javascript errors were caused by McAfee Site Advisor, I just turned this off and they seem to have stopped now appologies for giving bum steer on this error messag. The issue of session restore with pinned tabs still remain unfortunately for me anyway.

regards

Alan

Win7 Pro, FF6.0.2
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

unwina wrote:Morac,

unwina wrote:"Exc in ev handl: TypeError: brw.parentNode is null about:blank"

...plus other JS errors of similar kind that I thought were SM issues.

It seems that these javascript errors were caused by McAfee Site Advisor, I just turned this off and they seem to have stopped now appologies for giving bum steer on this error messag. The issue of session restore with pinned tabs still remain unfortunately for me anyway.

regards

I seem to recall McAfee having been problematic in the past... #-o

I guess you could try the Web of Trust addon in place of McAfee. :-k
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
unwina

Post by unwina »

WildcatRay wrote:I seem to recall McAfee having been problematic in the past... #-o

I guess you could try the Web of Trust addon in place of McAfee. :-k

Thanks but to be honest, I thought I'd turned it off when I installed it by mistake. I'm not a great one for worrying about whether I need to be advised on a web site or not. :wink:

Alan

Win7 Pro, FF6.0.2
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Can someone confirm that when I have foe example 2 windows and try to save only 1 (uncheck others), Session Manager will restore 2 windows, which 1 will be blank.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:Can someone confirm that when I have foe example 2 windows and try to save only 1 (uncheck others), Session Manager will restore 2 windows, which 1 will be blank.

When I save one window and restore it, only 1 window opens.
Rational Db8

Post by Rational Db8 »

Hi Morac,

I have a question about sessionstore.js and if these files will in any way affect stored sessions from Session Manager if I delete them? (plus, of course, any other comments you might have about sessionstore.js duplicates would be most welcome too). If you'll forgive me, it's easiest to copy a post of mine from the main firefox support forum:

~~~~

I've been having problems with FF hanging and using more CPU than it ought to with only a handful of tabs open - this seems worse since I let it upgrade from FF 3.6.19 to 3.6.22. I noted in the Mozillazine page on hanging: http://tinyurl.com/6fpf8ld that multiple copies of sessionstore.js in your profile can cause problems. So I used directions from the mozillazine page on profiles: "help, troubleshooting, profile directory, show in finder" to get what i assume is the right finder window/folder open.

Note, on the following keep in mind that I DO use the extension "Session Manager," in case it has any bearing on this issue.

Anyhow, I found a sessionstore.js, along with sessionstore-1.js thru sessionstore-5.js, and sessionstore.bak, and a sessions folder (the files I noted aren't in that folder)

The question is, can and should I send those 1-5 versions directly from the finder to trash and delete them?

And importantly, are any of those 1-5 versions related to the Session Manager extension? I don't want to accidently delete saved sessions....

If they ought to be deleted, does FF need to be closed when I delete them, or can it be open?

Thanks in advance for help with this!
Morac

Post by Morac »

Sessionstore.js is where Firefox stores the current browser state data. It's used by Firefox to recover from a crash and also to restore the last browser session. Session Manager only uses it to recover from crashes so deleting it has no effect on Session Manager unless the browser crashed.

As for there being multiple copies, there should be at most one sessionstore.js file (and one sessionstore.bak file). Any files in the profile folder that end in "-#" (where # is a number) is caused by a write failure. Firefox does "safe writes" for many files in the profile, where instead of overwriting the existing file, it writes a copy ending in "-#" and if the write succeeds, the original file is deleted and the new file is renamed to the original file's name. If you are getting a lot of -# files in your profile, then Firefox isn't completing disk writes. This can be caused a number of reasons such as incorrect folder permissions, the disk being full, Firefox hanging or crashing while writing or even an add-on messing up writes. Seeing -# files every now and then isn't unheard of, but if they happen all the time, something is either wrong with your Firefox profile or the disk.

In any case, -# files shouldn't slow down Firefox, they just waste disk space. You can simply delete them (doesn't matter if Firefox is running or not since they aren't used).
Ered

Post by Ered »

Ered wrote:I'm having the strangest issue that I've narrowed down to Session Manager. When I go to synchtube.com, I get a 502 bad gateway error when I use my saved session.

I reinstalled Firefox and created a new profile and it worked fine before and after installing Session Manager. After pulling in my saved session and restarting, the error came back.

Not sure if anyone saw my post a page or two ago, does anyone have any idea why this would happen?
Morac

Post by Morac »

Ered wrote:
Ered wrote:I'm having the strangest issue that I've narrowed down to Session Manager. When I go to synchtube.com, I get a 502 bad gateway error when I use my saved session.

I reinstalled Firefox and created a new profile and it worked fine before and after installing Session Manager. After pulling in my saved session and restarting, the error came back.

Not sure if anyone saw my post a page or two ago, does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Could be a cookie thing. I suggest not restoring the session that causes this to happen. That or uncheck save session cookies.
Ered

Post by Ered »

Morac wrote:
Ered wrote:

Could be a cookie thing. I suggest not restoring the session that causes this to happen. That or uncheck save session cookies.

Clearing my synchtube cookies fixed it. Thanks!
Rational Db8

Post by Rational Db8 »

Thank you Morac! Sorry to be an idiot - but how can I check to see if a lot of "-#" files are being written? I've tried searching for them, but can't get it to let me search only the user folder, it defaults to the entire drive. It's odd that the mozillazine article has a section about this being a possible cause of firefox hanging, since they are just wasted disk essentially like .bak or .ck files on a pc (I'm on a macbook pro).

I may have gotten the "-#'s" from either disk too full or hangs - there have been some periods where I ran the computer with the disk down to 2 to 4 GB left open if that's low enough to cause the problem (shows as 75 GB drive). I have also had a problem with periodic hangs where I force quit - possibly because I tend to leave FF running continuously and am also bad about large numbers of tabs? Discovered bartab so now I'm not as loath to restart FF, but suspect FF6 is going to be a problem for me this way again because it will automatically load all tabs and even disconnecting from the internet isn't a work around anymore, because at least starting with FF5 it will autoload all tabs the second the internet is reconnected, where in 3.x I could disconnect, restart, and on reconnect to internet it'd leave the tabs unloaded so I could work thru them at will -- and so I haven't upgraded to it yet.
Rational Db8

Post by Rational Db8 »

Also Morac - are the actual Session Manager sessions in that sessions folder in the user profile? If not, are "-#" files in there junk also?
Morac

Post by Morac »

The -# files would only be in your Firefox profile folder. By default the Session Manager session files are stored in. A sessions folder in your Firefox profile folder.
avada

Post by avada »

An option would be nice to archive (add group, etc) an auto save session. Because now I have to load it first and save it manually, which is rather time consuming if you have a bunch of tabs.
Morac

Post by Morac »

avada wrote:An option would be nice to archive (add group, etc) an auto save session. Because now I have to load it first and save it manually, which is rather time consuming if you have a bunch of tabs.

If you are talking about an automatic backup session, then you can simply rename it. That will archive it. Unfortunately you can't change the group at the same time so you'll have to rename it, then change the group. So it's still a two step process, but you don't need to load the session first.

If you are talking about a user created auto save session, then you can change the group simply by changing the group.