[Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13 - January 30, 2017

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
pein0saga

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.7.7 - Sep 18, 2011

Post by pein0saga »

Can you add a function which exports all sesstions to a html boomarks file?
I have so many sesstion and each session has too many tabs so I want to manage them in my bookmark library!
Thank you very much for this good extention.Me and firefox Can't ive without it !
Eyesight and values conquer humans!
Grand Dizzy

Post by Grand Dizzy »

Hi there,

After happily using TMP’s session restore feature for many years, I started having problems when I started using tab groups/Panorama. My trouble with TMP being that when it starts up, it often starts up in a random group, and some tabs have apparently moved around between groups, and often whenever I close a tab, it changes to another group. Also, if the session crashes, when Firefox launches again half the tabs have disappeared from my groups, which is very worrying! I have hundreds of tabs across dozens of tab groups and I don’t want to lose a single one. But if one or two disappeared, I might not notice. Which I find distressing!

So following these problems with TMP, I was advised by the guys at the TMP forums to use Session Manager instead.

I installed the Session Manager extension, but unfortunately, it completely destroyed my session!

First, I installed Session Manager, then turned off TMP’s Session Manager and Crash Recovery, then restarted. Upon restart, I was asked if I would like to import TMP’s sessions so obviously I said yes. I then clicked to load my “last session” session from TMP, and a whole bunch of tabs loaded, which seemed to be from random groups, but when I went to the tab groups screen, all of my tab groups had completely disappeared. I then tried loading the “previous to last” session. Still, no tab groups were present.

So I’ve had to uninstall Session Manager! Either its support for tab groups isn’t very good, or there is some problem with getting the information out of the Tab Mix Plus session file?

Could anyone advise me? I love using tab groups, but getting them to work in a stable and orderly manner seems like an impossible task!

I should also say, I use BarTab. I used to sit and wait 10 minutes for all the tabs to load every time I started Firefox, but not any more thanks to BarTab!

pein0saga wrote:Can you add a function which exports all sesstions to a html boomarks file?
I have so many sesstion and each session has too many tabs so I want to manage them in my bookmark library!

Like you, I used to have dozens of saved sessions, one for each category (games, music, social networking, etc.). All those sessions were a nightmare and I was scared to open them because all the tabs took so long to load. But now we have Panorama (tab groups) I don’t need to keep saved sessions any more. I just keep all my tabs in groups and thanks to BarTab I can switch between them (almost) instantly.

It’s pretty easy to turn sessions into folders of bookmarks, and then (optionally) to turn them into groups. Just load each session individually (which does take a while but is only to do once), right click on any tab in the session and click “Bookmark All Tabs”, which will save all the tabs in the current session/group to a folder of your choice. If you then want to bring those bookmarks into a tab group, just make a new tab group (Ctrl+shift+E to bring up the tab group screen, and draw a rectangle with the cursor to make a new group) then go into that group, right click on the folder of bookmarks and click “open all in tabs”. Voila! Your old “sessions” have now been turned into groups and you can switch between them (almost) instantly and drag tabs around between them.

If you use the TabGroups Menu extension, it puts a menu on the menu bar where you can quickly and easily switch between groups which saves bringing up the rather slow groups screen. Personally, I think this is so useful and simple that it should be a default part of Firefox and sit on the far left of the tab bar, with the current group title displayed so you can always clearly see what group you’re in.
WillowRaven

Post by WillowRaven »

WillowRaven wrote:I have been having an issue with Session Manager and not really sure what is causing it (if it's a setting that I'm missing or not understanding, or if its an actual bug that I should report):

I am using Firefox 6.0.2 with Session Manager. When I start up FF, about 70% of the time, it adds in a tab with the following website: http://no1techblog.blogspot.com/2011/09 ... -than.html . This is NOT a site I have visited nor is it one I have in my saved tabs or anything else. Not only does it pop this up randomly, it also makes my options in the upper right hand corner (minimize/maximize/close) disappear, and I am unable to go to the bottom right corner and expand/decrease the browser window size:
I cannot click on any of the tabs in the browser - the ONLY thing I am able to do is close it down via my Task Manager, and then reopen it, and when the session manager pops up, I can uncheck the website (http://no1techblog.blogspot.com/2011/09 ... -than.html) so that it doesn't re-load:

This has been happening for more than 3 weeks now, has moved beyond annoying.

Additional note: this "N" site post is NOT coming up as a "pinned tab" but as just a regular tab.

Can someone advise me if I am somehow missing a setting, is this a site that is related to one of the developers, is this a bug I should report and more importantly - what do I do to get it to STOP happening???

EDIT/REASON: Screenshots added

Forgive me for possibly seeming like I am harping on this, however this issue is still occurring (and I updated last night to Firefox 7.0) and going on almost 4 weeks now and I am looking for either help, advice, or if someone could tell me that this is an actual bug so I can submit a formal bug report? I am at a loss as how to proceed with this. Everything I have tried to rectify this problem has not helped (clear out cache, clear out temp internet folder, clean out Session Manager cache, you name it).
Morac

Post by Morac »

Session Manager doesn't open random tabs on start up by itself. The "N" site must be coming from somewhere. It looks like it might be a pop up, though the site doesn't look like a pop up.

First off what are your Session Manager Startup settings set to? Do you have it set to load the previous session or a specific session. If neither, do you have Firefox set to show windows and tabs from last time (which resumes the last session)?
WillowRaven

Post by WillowRaven »

Morac wrote:Session Manager doesn't open random tabs on start up by itself. The "N" site must be coming from somewhere. It looks like it might be a pop up, though the site doesn't look like a pop up.

First off what are your Session Manager Startup settings set to? Do you have it set to load the previous session or a specific session. If neither, do you have Firefox set to show windows and tabs from last time (which resumes the last session)?

I understand that SM isn't suppose to open random tabs on start up by itself, however, in my case, it is. When I first open my FF (when I turn on my system), the "N" site shows up, even when it wasn't on any of the tabs upon shut down. I then have to go through my task manager to manually close down FF. Then, when the Session Manager opens (the 'restore session' window), I tell it to open the previous session, however I have to remove (uncheck) the "N" site before telling it to open the session. The "N" site never came up til about 4 weeks ago through the Session Manager - I had never heard of or seen that site until SM opened it up and started making the window browser act "weird" (as previously stated). The site isn't acting like a pop up - it is showing up as a tab on my windows with my other saved tabs, tho I am NOT saving it as a tab - in fact, if anything, I am removing (by unchecking it) from the session altogether. I have even gone so far as to remove all session where the "N" site came up, so that if it was somehow in some sort of memory, or if SM was opening those sessions instead of the one I was specifying, having it gone would lessen the chance, and yet it STILL is opening this site - from where, I have absolutely NO idea. it totally baffles me. I have cleared my temp internet folder, my browser cache, the SM previous sessions (except for the one I'm currently using, which I have removed the "N" site - again!)....I do not know where this site is coming from (it is not one I am interested in nor went to) and don't even know where to look to see if it might be lurking in a place I can't think of.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

no1techblog vireus read here > http://forums.techarena.in/technology-i ... 426908.htm or just Google no1techblog and you will get 7000+ hits
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
WillowRaven

Post by WillowRaven »

JayhawksRock wrote:no1techblog vireus read here > http://forums.techarena.in/technology-i ... 426908.htm or just Google no1techblog and you will get 7000+ hits

Thank you Jay - I will check out the tech forum now. I appreciate all the help.
mzraphael

Post by mzraphael »

Having an issue using with FF7. I have a few tabs that are pinned. Previously when a session was restored, the app tabs would return as normal, along with the other tabs. Now they are being duplicated. Any ideas?
Morac

Post by Morac »

mzraphael wrote:Having an issue using with FF7. I have a few tabs that are pinned. Previously when a session was restored, the app tabs would return as normal, along with the other tabs. Now they are being duplicated. Any ideas?

Uncheck the "Do not replace pinned App tabs" option.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Morac wrote:Uncheck the "Do not replace pinned App tabs" option.

Where is that located? :-k
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Morac

Post by Morac »

WildcatRay wrote:

http://sessionmanager.mozdev.org/options.html#saving
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Morac wrote:
WildcatRay wrote:

http://sessionmanager.mozdev.org/options.html#saving

I am seeing "Restore tabs on Demand" In that location. (I'm using Nightly)

EDIT: I do see it (Do not replace...) when using Fx 7.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Morac

Post by Morac »

WildcatRay wrote:I am seeing "Restore tabs on Demand" In that location. (I'm using Nightly)

EDIT: I do see it (Do not replace...) when using Fx 7.

It's only supposed to show up in Firefox 4 and up, but there's a bad version check such that 10 < 4 is ending up being true (don't ask). I'll have to fix that before Firefox 10 is released, but I have time.
fredant

Post by fredant »

Hi,

this is a great plugin =D>

But I have noticed a small lack.
In the window that appears when you click on the icon of the Session Manager, the button in the upper left corner does not list "save the current window." Instead there is in "session management" of the popup menu displayed by pressing the arrow icon to the left of Session Manager.

It would be possible to insert "save current window" into the button in the upper left corner of the generic window?
chirpy_7

Post by chirpy_7 »

Hi Morac & Co,

I've disabled automatic updates for your addon ever since 0.7.5 which was the last version which worked for me on Ubuntu (natty / Linux) and FF 6 and now 7.

I didn't read in depth about changes in the newer versions but sth along the lines of it not working with a Mac (similar to Linux). Well, in Ubuntu it still doesn't work beyond 0.7.5: no option to load or save is given in the menu, only sth like "Label" is displayed there in stead.

What to make of it? Are you aware of that problem?

thx,

chirpy