[Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13 - January 30, 2017

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Morac

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13 - January 30, 2017

Post by Morac »

Beadmaster wrote:How do I turn off notifications of version changes? I was posting a message on a site, looked away for a second as I was attempting to put thoughts into words, and suddenly I was in a new tab on this page:
http://sessionmanager.mozdev.org/histor ... n=0.8.1.13

While I realize it happened because there was an update, it was disconcerting because I was in the middle of explaining something fairly technical and my thoughts were interrupted by the appearance of this page. LOL, when you get to my age, thoughts are elusive and not easily recovered! ;)

Thanks in advance.
Uncheck the "show update web page after updating" box in the advanced options.

http://sessionmanager.mozdev.org/options.html#advanced
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Morac, it looks like the developer of Tab Mix Plus found out why some sessions (like the one I sent you via email) are not restored correctly (tabs tend to crash):
http://tabmixplus.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 614#p71614
onemen wrote:Bug 1307736 landed on Nightly.

It broke our restore session and bookmarks "Open All in Tabs", all tabs are blank

I will update Tab mix code soon.
I've tried to restore saved session using TMP session manager and got exactly the same bug as in Session Manager. I hope this helps :) I guess you can contact him via support email from here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -mix-plus/
Sorry for my poor English.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Morac has a TMP forum accnt., developers work well together (for decade! thank you both!!).
irvinm

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.12 - March 17, 2016

Post by irvinm »

I've had similar experiences and think I have a pattern. In general, I use a lot of tabs (400-600) and have gotten these corrupt sessions from time to time (JSON parsing errors when loading sessions), but seems to be happening more consistently now. I currently have SM save the session every hour. When I inspect my sessions folder, I can see that each session (in this case) is about 110MB. For sessions that have become corrupt, they are only around 40MB. For me, my regular backup sessions are good (there are a few exceptions) but it is the session that is saved when closing down Firefox that is usually bad. This has happened enough that I have a workaround I do now. Before I close Firefox, I go into SM and manually save the session as this works.

My guess is that Firefox imposes some type of "time restriction" for add-ons to shutdown and if they don't complete\respond within that time they are terminated to ensure Firefox closes down in a timely manner. I am not sure if that is the case, but it fits the pattern I am seeing. (Especially, given that when I manually save the session right before closing Firefox tells me that I don't have any corrupt information being saved) Windows has a similar mechanism when it comes to shutting down services when Windows is shutting down. There is a timeout value in the registry that can be changed when to prompt the user to forcefully shutdown a service. I doubt Firefox has something similar in about:config. (Although I do see some dom.ipc.plugins.*timeout* values I might look into)

I am not sure if it is the processing time or the volume of data that is being written out with the sessions. (110MB for 500 tabs seems a bit much) Does anyone know if there are ways to trim down the information being saved? (I have already reduced the number of back buttons entries to save and put the forward entries to 0)
Sorry I didnt get back sooner. I was discouraged by the post that said this thread was no longer being supported.

Session Manager is probably my most valued utility. I had used for many years with no problems. All of a sudden this problem with the sessions started and I for the past year or so I cant solve it.

It's become a tedious chore trying to work around this issue by manually managing sessions. Every time I think I have it cleaned up, it eventually re-occurs.

I think you may be on the right track. I have several manually saved session collected over time, and never have had a problem with any of them.

When I posed this question in the past, it was explained that it was the saved content that corrupted the session.

Because of the way I would get a series of corrupted sessions in succession, I had an unfounded notion that maybe one corrupt saved session could corrupt another uncorrupted session somehow.

Even though it didn't make sense, as an experiment I recently converted all my clean sessions sessions to bookmarks, deleted those sessions, and then recreated sessions from the bookmarks, thus eliminating even the tiniest chance those old sessions could present a problem.

Everything was fine. I still have these sessions and they are uncorrupted.

But some offshoots of these sessions have become corrupted, as well as some of the new sessions that don't resemble the previous ones.

The evidence of this theory would be that not all instances of a session with identical or nearly identical content become corrupted.

I hope someone here will consider this possibility.
I have heard the same explanation about data corrupting the save session. However, in my case it is very clear that manually saved sessions work 100% of the time, regularly saved sessions (hourly) work almost all the time, and sessions saved while closing down the browser work very rarely when dealing with large (400+) tabs. I have unfortunately just got used to saving my session manually before closing the browser or using the last good saved session which means I lose at most an hour of changes.

My work machine has less than 150 tabs open and I never have any problems with that machine regardless of situation. I am fairly convinced either Firefox is forcefully stopping the add-on during shutdown if it does not respond within a given time OR there is some separate logic to saving sessions during shutdown vs. regular backups.

PS. At any given moment, I normally only have 20-30 of these tabs "loaded" and the rest are "unloaded".
immortal192

Post by immortal192 »

What's going to happen when Firefox 57 hits, where it only supports web extensions? Session Manager supports multi-processes but it still isn't a web extension, so is it going to die in 57? I can't imagine using Firefox without this addon--is there plan to re-write this as a web extension so it can live past that or can such an addon not exist due to limitations of a web extension? I haven't been able to find a similarly good addon that manages sessions.

Also, what if I specify the session data to be on a folder that is synced across my machines? I want to sync my sessions across the machines so I can continue exactly where I left off. I'm concerned that if I have two machines using the session at the same time, there might be corrupt or conflicting data written to that folder which could mess up the session. Is this an issue and if so, can I avoid it? If I don't use two sessions in the same time though, is it a problem?

What do you think about this method and do you know of a better way to sync the session across multiple machines?
Morac

Post by Morac »

immortal192 wrote:What's going to happen when Firefox 57 hits, where it only supports web extensions? Session Manager supports multi-processes but it still isn't a web extension, so is it going to die in 57? I can't imagine using Firefox without this addon--is there plan to re-write this as a web extension so it can live past that or can such an addon not exist due to limitations of a web extension? I haven't been able to find a similarly good addon that manages sessions.
At this point things don't look good. Web Extenstions don't give access to the API that Session Manager needs to actually save or restore sessions, let alone anything else it does. The only thing Web Extensions currently allows is reopening closed tabs from that current browser session. There is no way to "save" the session state and restore it after the browser has been closed and reopened.
immortal192 wrote:Also, what if I specify the session data to be on a folder that is synced across my machines? I want to sync my sessions across the machines so I can continue exactly where I left off. I'm concerned that if I have two machines using the session at the same time, there might be corrupt or conflicting data written to that folder which could mess up the session. Is this an issue and if so, can I avoid it? If I don't use two sessions in the same time though, is it a problem?

What do you think about this method and do you know of a better way to sync the session across multiple machines?
It's possible to sync the sessions folder across machines with something like Dropbox or the like. There shouldn't be an issue with corrupting files since sync tools are designed to handle file changes on both sides.
dfu

Post by dfu »

Since FF50, sessions are not restored correctly the first time I launch FF. I always have to do that twice to get the previous order of windows. Also, the window order keeps chaning randomly at times. Will this ever be fixed?
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ Morac - When I open Session Manager Options on latest Session Manager 0.8.1.13pre20170130b on Firefox Nightly 54.0a1, I get this error in Browser Console:

Code: Select all

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Location: chrome://sessionmanager/content/options/ff-options.xul
Line Number 15, Column 3:  ff-options.xul:15:3
looks like in "General"=>"Startup & Shutdown" tabs, one option is broken
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
sergwish

Post by sergwish »

Suggestions:
  1. Add "Last modified" (or simply "Modified") column to session list. Don't show seconds. Don't show timezone, convert to current timezone instead.
  2. Optionally show windows/tabs of selected session to the right of session list instead of under it.
  3. Optionally show session list grouped by session group like tabs are grouped in windows. This would remove group name column and make session list narrower without loss of informativity.
sergwish

Post by sergwish »

Morac wrote:
immortal192 wrote:What's going to happen when Firefox 57 hits, where it only supports web extensions? Session Manager supports multi-processes but it still isn't a web extension, so is it going to die in 57? I can't imagine using Firefox without this addon--is there plan to re-write this as a web extension so it can live past that or can such an addon not exist due to limitations of a web extension? I haven't been able to find a similarly good addon that manages sessions.
At this point things don't look good. Web Extenstions don't give access to the API that Session Manager needs to actually save or restore sessions, let alone anything else it does. The only thing Web Extensions currently allows is reopening closed tabs from that current browser session. There is no way to "save" the session state and restore it after the browser has been closed and reopened.
So FF developers decided to manage interface exclusively themselves? Fine, let them. Split all required functionality into small independent pieces, file a bug for each of them and encourage users to register on bugzilla and vote for them. Cooperate with other add-on developers to avoid duplicate bugs.

This would let FF developers see the amount of additional work to do to keep Firefox from becoming "just another Chrome wannabe".
LudoA

Post by LudoA »

sergwish wrote:
Morac wrote:
So FF developers decided to manage interface exclusively themselves? Fine, let them. Split all required functionality into small independent pieces, file a bug for each of them and encourage users to register on bugzilla and vote for them. Cooperate with other add-on developers to avoid duplicate bugs.

This would let FF developers see the amount of additional work to do to keep Firefox from becoming "just another Chrome wannabe".
Agreed, this is the right solution. Bugs against FF need to be filed for the missing APIs. Worth posting those bug numbers here, so we can vote for them.

BTW Morac, thanks for pushing the e10s-compatible version to the release channel, much appreciated!
Beadmaster

Post by Beadmaster »

@Morac, sorry for the delay and thank you, that worked! Beautiful kitty. :)
DN123ABC

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.12 - March 17, 2016

Post by DN123ABC »

DN123ABC wrote:What is the latest version for "Seamonkey" version 2.46? I think mine is on 0.8.1.12, but my Firefox 51.0 (32-bit) is on 0.8.1.13.

Is there a "13" available for "Seamonkey"? If so, does it work, or am I better off with "12", and for what reasons?

Thank you.
Still wondering about this. Thank you.
therube

Post by therube »

dfu wrote:Since FF50, sessions are not restored correctly the first time I launch FF. I always have to do that twice to get the previous order of windows. Also, the window order keeps chaning randomly at times. Will this ever be fixed?
Are you talking about the ordering of the windows on the Windows taskbar?
If so, it may be a different extension interfering.

Bug 1142387 - Taskbar Icons are Reordered when opening from Session Restore when AutoCopy is installed

Bug 693920 - Taskbar Icons are Reordered when opening from Session Restore when FlashGot is installed
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
tmsm

Post by tmsm »

I'm at a loss (after a fair bit of googling) as to how to fix Session Manager having disappeared from my toolbar, and tools menu. Uninstall/reinstall seems to have done nothing. The extension shows that it's enabled, but it doesn't even appear in the icons I could add to the toolbar, when I reset the customization to default.

After restoring my entire profile folder from a backup, it worked -- for a while, then disappeared again. Unsure if it's session manager updates breaking, or Tor browser updates breaking session manager, or what.

Is there some log I can look at to see what the problem would be for the extension not actually loading, despite being enabled?