[Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13 - January 30, 2017

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
GHM113

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13 - January 30, 2017

Post by GHM113 »

Elhem Enohpi wrote:I have a small annoyance with window sessions. I have "replace existing windows" unchecked, so I can simply open and close different window sessions independently. When I open one of them, I'd like it to open in front of the existing windows. It starts to, but then one of the rear windows always jumps to the front. I have to go to the Window menu to find the window session I just opened. I tried with a new profile and no other addons; the first time it worked ok, but after restarting, it goes back to that behaviour. Any way to fix that?

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.12; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1331935
Sorry for my poor English.
Elhem Enohpi

Post by Elhem Enohpi »

Thanks GHM113. There are several bugs about window ordering with Firefox's restore, but they're all about restoring a full multi-window session. For example that they open in a more or less random order, or that the last-used window should open first so the user can start interacting with it while the others are loading (that's the bug you mention).

What I'm describing however is when I already have several windows open, and I want to restore an additional single window that was saved as a "window session". This is only possible with Session Manager.

I expect that it will open as the frontmost window. And that the other existing windows will stay in the same order they were in, behind it. Instead what happens is that it restores in front, but then one of the windows from the rear jumps to the front, overtop of it. The rest stay in the order they were in, with the newly-opened window session second from the front.

I can't find a consistent pattern of which window will jump to the front. I do use Firefox's "show my windows and tabs from last time". Usually it's the last window to have been restored when Firefox starts, but that seems to change if one of them was actually a window session. However, within a given session, it's always the same window that jumps to the front after any window session is restored, even if new windows are opened in the meantime, or that window has been sent to the rear. If the window that jumps to the front is closed, then no other window will jump to the front during that browser session, and window sessions open frontmost as expected.

This behaviour isn't really covered in any of the Firefox bugs that I could see. It may well be that it is a Firefox bug, and Session Manager has no control over it. If that's the case then I can open another Firefox bug, but I wanted to ask about it here first.
sbutk

Post by sbutk »

avada wrote:
Did you use the /r or /b features?

Did you check whether some files were recovered? I forgot which folder has recovered files sometimes.
One of these two I think:
c:\Recovery\
c:\System Volume Information\

Thanks, no I had not, yet; I will try both of those Chkdsk options and see what that does for me.
Hostname

Post by Hostname »

Hello all,

I understand there is an option in Session Manager > Session Manager Options that allows you to import/export the add-on's settings, which is awesome and very handy/useful.

However, I am wondering if all of the user's add-ons (along with their settings) are stored in each individual saved/backup session that's created by Session Manager?

Additionally, I am new to the forums so I would like to say it is nice to meet you all and thank you for your time. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Hostname wrote:I understand there is an option in Session Manager > Session Manager Options that allows you to import/export the add-on's settings, which is awesome and very handy/useful.
Export/import doesn't save all settings available in SM Options so be careful. For example, browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo is not saved. I suspect SM saves only SM-related settings, Firefox settings available in SM options are ignored.
Hostname wrote:However, I am wondering if all of the user's add-ons (along with their settings) are stored in each individual saved/backup session that's created by Session Manager?
As far as I know, session manager saves and restores all opened tabs in unloaded state, cookies, scrolling position, addon-related data like tab trees or protected tabs in TMP, maybe something else. But it doesn't save addons and addon settings.

Also, Session Manager won't work after Firefox 57 is released due to WebExtensions API. Luckily, two APIs that Session Manager WebExtension needs has been approved so Session Manager WebExtension will be possible but likely not in 2017. Session Manager WebExtension will be able to:
save and restore tab history between sessions
save and restore list of all opened tabs
restore list of tabs in unloaded state
restore addon-related data using Storage API

Not bad. I've sent Morac an email with all needed APIs, I hope he read it.
Vano

Post by Vano »

Morac wrote:Due to Mozilla's policy that Add-ons MUST respect private browsing, Session Manager won't allow saving of private windows. This includes backup sessions. Disable permanent private browsing and you will be able to save non-private windows again. If you don't like this, don't blame me, it's Mozilla's policy. See http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2010/02/ ... r-add-ons/
It's ok, Mozilla is going down the drain soon anyway. with their shitty policies .
Meanwhile is there a way for us manually modify the code to support saving private windows?
I'm using FF 52 ESR which still allows run unsigned extensions

Thanks.
Hostname

Post by Hostname »

GHM113 wrote:Export/import doesn't save all settings available in SM Options so be careful. For example, browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo is not saved. I suspect SM saves only SM-related settings, Firefox settings available in SM options are ignored.

As far as I know, session manager saves and restores all opened tabs in unloaded state, cookies, scrolling position, addon-related data like tab trees or protected tabs in TMP, maybe something else. But it doesn't save addons and addon settings.
Thank you very much for your quick, informative and detailed reply. I did not even consider the fact that Session Restore would not save Firefox-related settings. With that said, I was basically only curious as I have a desktop backup program that I have set to run every morning and I have it configured to backup all of my Firefox and Thunderbird profiles. Additionally, on occasion I will run MozBackup for both my Firefox and Thunderbird profiles. My main concern is the autosaving of my current session(s) every X minutes because I have dealt with enough Firefox browser crashes where my only solution was to restore all the tabs I possibly could by mounting a system restore point and replacing the current/new files in my FF profile's directory with the old files from the mounted system restore. Of course, there are other ways of manually restoring lost tabs, but the procedure I described is the one I've used most often.
GHM113 wrote:Also, Session Manager won't work after Firefox 57 is released due to WebExtensions API. Luckily, two APIs that Session Manager WebExtension needs has been approved so Session Manager WebExtension will be possible but likely not in 2017. Session Manager WebExtension will be able to:
save and restore tab history between sessions
save and restore list of all opened tabs
restore list of tabs in unloaded state
restore addon-related data using Storage API
I have heard about Firefox 57, however I have not yet researched or looked into it yet due to time constraints. However, I will be looking into it very soon. Furthermore, it's very sad to hear that Session Manager won't work after Firefox 57's release. I was so happy I found it and I spent a considerable amount of time learning about the settings I didn't understand as I was configuring all of the options/settings. Now that I have Session Manager, not only is it the answer to all of my crashing/manual restoration problems described above, but the best thing is once it's installed and configured you can simply let it do it's job on auto-pilot and forget about losing your tabs, important data, etc. Regrettably, now I have just learned some of the most important features/options may soon be out of commission for quite some time. :(

With the two APIs that have been approved so far, will Session Restore be able to autosave the current session every X minutes?
GHM113 wrote:Not bad. I've sent Morac an email with all needed APIs, I hope he read it.
You're right, so far that's not bad and yes, hopefully Morac has read your E-mail and will approve all of the needed APIs.
Hostname

Post by Hostname »

Hello all,

After installing, configuring, and using Session Manager for a few days now, I noticed that Firefox's CPU usage has been spiking when I launch Firefox, switch between tabs, and at times seemingly at random. I have Session Manager set to autosave my current session every 5 minutes. Is this too often? I can guarantee it has nothing to do with my computer, but if asked to do so (and if it's allowed), I will post a screenshot of a summary of my computer specs.

I personally do not think Firefox's spike in CPU usage is related to Session Manager because I launched Firefox in Safe Mode (with all add-ons disabled) and I also manually disabled only Session Manager, relaunched Firefox, and the issue was still occurring. However, I still wanted to get some opinions on what may be too soon or too frequently autosaving current sessions. Furthermore, I would like to know even after the troubleshooting I have described, is there any way that this problem could still be related to Session Manager?

Thanks in advance.
JonTrav

Post by JonTrav »

I seem to have a (hopefully minor) glitch with Session Manager (latest version). When doing an autosave of the session I get an 'out of memory' error.
The UI symptom is an error box pop up, with a message "The operation failed due to a file access error: undefined(undefined)"
In the SM log file I see

Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:09 GMT: gSessionManager.observe: aTopic = timer-callback, aData = null, Subject = [xpconnect wrapped nsITimer]
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:09 GMT: SessionIo.backupCurrentSession start
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:09 GMT: backupCurrentSession: results = -1
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:09 GMT: backupCurrentSession: backup = 1, temp_backup = false
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:09 GMT: out of memory
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:09 GMT: EXCEPTION - {state is null}
Private.backupCurrentSession@chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/session_file_io.jsm:1296:9
this.SessionIo.backupCurrentSession@chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/session_file_io.jsm:154:10
Private.observe@chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/session_manager.jsm:364:6

Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:09 GMT: keepOldBackups start for backup
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:10 GMT: out of memory
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:10 GMT: keepOldBackups end
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:10 GMT: backupCurrentSession end

It is possible this could be caused by the relevant instance of Firefox having 150 tabs open. The saved session files are about 13Mb
I assume there are many more lines of interest. Please advise me how I can get qualified help to resolve this.
The relevant PC is still running 32bit XP, only very recently has the user reluctantly accepted the need to upgrade to something supported,,, Firefox is v52.2.1 ESR.
JT:
Hostname

Post by Hostname »

JonTrav wrote:I seem to have a (hopefully minor) glitch with Session Manager (latest version). When doing an autosave of the session I get an 'out of memory' error.
The UI symptom is an error box pop up, with a message "The operation failed due to a file access error: undefined(undefined)"
In the SM log file I see

Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:09 GMT: gSessionManager.observe: aTopic = timer-callback, aData = null, Subject = [xpconnect wrapped nsITimer]
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:09 GMT: SessionIo.backupCurrentSession start
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:09 GMT: backupCurrentSession: results = -1
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:09 GMT: backupCurrentSession: backup = 1, temp_backup = false
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:09 GMT: EXCEPTION - {state is null}
Private.backupCurrentSession@chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/session_file_io.jsm:1296:9
this.SessionIo.backupCurrentSession@chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/session_file_io.jsm:154:10
Private.observe@chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/session_manager.jsm:364:6

Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:09 GMT: keepOldBackups start for backup
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:10 GMT: out of memory
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:10 GMT: keepOldBackups end
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:24:10 GMT: backupCurrentSession end

It is possible this could be caused by the relevant instance of Firefox having 150 tabs open. The saved session files are about 13Mb
I assume there are many more lines of interest. Please advise me how I can get qualified help to resolve this.
The relevant PC is still running 32bit XP, only very recently has the user reluctantly accepted the need to upgrade to something supported,,, Firefox is v52.2.1 ESR.
How often are you autosaving? I am autosaving every 5 minutes, but I've reduced the number of tabs I'm running in one Firefox window down from ~80 to ~20.

Furthermore, how much RAM does the PC have in which you're running Firefox on with Session Manager? Also, have you been monitoring your RAM consumption throughout the day as you use Firefox? If so, are you anywhere near close to maxing out your RAM or do you believe the 'out of memory' errors you're seeing in your Log File are related to a glitch/bug?

Please note: I am not an expert on Session Manager by any means, but I have been having my own problems lately (CPU usage spikes instead of RAM) that I think may be related to the autosave option in Session Manager (although I'm not sure). I posted about it (above your post) and I'm hoping to get some feedback as well. In conclusion, I figured I'd ask you some basic questions that could better help someone understand the scope of your problem and hopefully enable them to be of further assistance.
JonTrav

Post by JonTrav »

Ram 4gb (32 bit so, so only 3.5gb useable) Firefox maxing out about 1gb, have seen it higher.
Manual 'save session' from the menu created a 13mb file, autosave creates a 1kb file.
Next trick is to restart Firefox with just 1 of 2 Windows open and see if autoclave works or not, then try the other window that has more tabs. Repeated attempts to get the user to reduce the number of tabs he keeps open has met stiff resistance...
NOT my own machine! I just have to fix it...
JT:
sundancer268

Post by sundancer268 »

I am having problems getting Session Manager and LastPass to play nicely together. Either one works good by them self but when I try and run them together I get a lot of unresponsive scripts and the sessions never go back to the page I was on when FireFox Exits or crashes. With every unresponsive script stop FireFox shifts to another Tab. and this is annoying when you wind up with several YouTube Videos playing at the same time. Any help would be appreciated as these are two of the most important addons for FireFox in my world.
mgol

Post by mgol »

Morac wrote:
GHM113 wrote: It looks like it is possible to implement basic SM functionality using WebExtensions API.
The WebExtensions API allows reopening closed tabs and windows, but that's it. Also these don't persist after the browser is closed and reopened. Basically all SM would be able to do is reopen closed tabs.
I don't understand how that can be the case. Firefox WebExtensions are modeled after Chrome extensions and for Chrome there's an excellent Session Buddy extension: https://sessionbuddy.com/

It allows to auto-save sessions, to save custom ones on demand, it saves all windows & tabs as they were and allows to even modify the saved session. It allows to restore the saved session to the current window or new ones.

For me that's quite significant and way more than what you described. Are you saying Firefox WebExtensions are missing APIs Chrome extensions have?
jtojnar

Post by jtojnar »

Are you able to check out the CVS repository? I was trying to convert the repository to Git using cvs-fast-export but I could not even check out the repository.

I followed the steps on the website and was able to log in successfully. Unfortunately, in the second step cvs hanged. Few files did check out but then was just waiting on select syscall.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

mgol wrote:I don't understand how that can be the case. Firefox WebExtensions are modeled after Chrome extensions and for Chrome there's an excellent Session Buddy extension: https://sessionbuddy.com/
Session Buddy is just a bookmarks manager with new UI, it can't even restore tabs in unloaded state. It also doesn't save tab history and addon-related data.