[Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13 - January 30, 2017

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
lelamal

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.12 - March 17, 2016

Post by lelamal »

Hi all. I'm new here, so sorry if it has been asked before. I've installed this extension, but I'm not sure how to achieve something quite simple. Basically, I've successfully saved a couple of sessions. When I load one of them, a set of pinned tabs correctly appears. But when I close Firefox, the browser remembers the pinned tabs, and when I open it again all of them are automatically opened again. But this was exactly what I wanted to avoid by installing this extension. I only want Firefox start page to be loaded at startup, and chose so in Firefox general options. I've also set Session Manager options to "None" and "Show my home page" under "At startup always load the following session", but this just results in Firefox opening an extra home page in addition to the rest of the pinned tabs from the previous session. So, basically, it seems not to work as expected. The only workaround I found is to create a new session in Session Manager containing only Firefox home page, and to set "Select session" under "At startup always load the following session" to open this specific session. However, Firefox still tries to open the pinned tabs from the previous session, first, before opening the specified session from the extension - this is shown briefly before the switch. My question is: is there a way for this extension to successfully prevent Firefox from remembering the pinned tabs from the previous session, thus forcing it to only open an empty session at startup? Many thanks in advance!
Crash&Burn

Post by Crash&Burn »

@lelamal

Try changing this Session Manager option
[General]
..[Startup & Shutdown]
.. .. At shutdown: <ask whether to backup current session || discard current session>
gregbakker

Post by gregbakker »

@Crash&Burn
Thanks for the info about Firebug being merged into the native Firefox DevTools. I hadn't realized that.
lelamal

Post by lelamal »

Crash&Burn wrote:@lelamal

Try changing this Session Manager option
[General]
..[Startup & Shutdown]
.. .. At shutdown: <ask whether to backup current session || discard current session>
Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately it doesn't work. If I choose "ask whether to backup the current session", at shutdown I have to choose among "Save and quit", "Quit", and "Save and restore at startup". Both the first two options correctly close Firefox, but at startup the pinned tabs from the previous session are still there. I also chose "discard the current session" under "At shutdown", but still can't open an empty session at startup. I wonder whether what I'm trying to achieve is at all possible, or whether I am missing something too obvious.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

lelamal wrote:Hi all. I'm new here, so sorry if it has been asked before. I've installed this extension, but I'm not sure how to achieve something quite simple. Basically, I've successfully saved a couple of sessions. When I load one of them, a set of pinned tabs correctly appears. But when I close Firefox, the browser remembers the pinned tabs, and when I open it again all of them are automatically opened again. But this was exactly what I wanted to avoid by installing this extension.
Install Tab Mix Plus and configure its Session Manager the following way: http://i.imgur.com/AwYsHvM.png
Sorry for my poor English.
Crash&Burn

Post by Crash&Burn »

@lelamal
Sorry, I misread your original query. Try this:

[Startup & Shutdown]
.. At startup always load the following session:
.... [x] None
.... <Show my home page || Show a blank page>

Although you may want to allow Session Manager to backup the current session at shutdown, just in case...and
You can also set a Session to be an AutoSave one, although I've found thats not as useful as it would seem.

Personally, I have mine set to auto-select the previous session, and then cancel loading of said session if for some reason I don't want to load a few hundred tabs... :-)
Last edited by Crash&Burn on January 25th, 2017, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

What is the latest version for "Seamonkey" version 2.46? I think mine is on 0.8.1.12, but my Firefox 51.0 (32-bit) is on 0.8.1.13.

Is there a "13" available for "Seamonkey"? If so, does it work, or am I better off with "12", and for what reasons?

Thank you.
Stilett0

Post by Stilett0 »

1. Not sure if it's mentioned yet, but I'm having problems with tabs restoring their favicons in Firefox 52.0b1. Had no problems with this in Firefox 51.0, any of the betas. Typically the issue I see is with reloading crashed sessions, I haven't tried seeing what happens if I try restoring a saved session. Might be a core Firefox bug, I don't really know. Session Manager seems to be the most likely offensive plugin, but I also run Tab Mix Plus.

2. Also, I don't know if this is solveable (it probably is not), but I've noticed for years now that if you have reopened Firefox after crashing, with Session Manager installed, once the Load Session menu appears, if you choose not to load a session but keep the menu open, and switch to the main window and start opening browser tabs, and then Firefox crashes AGAIN, that the session Session Manager saves for that session is corrupt and when reopening Firefox it will show that it maybe only captured one out of two dozen tabs, if that. The rest will be about:blank, and for some reason it will claim there were 5 or 6 times as many tabs open at the time than there were. (Hopefully you can understand that description.)
lelamal

Post by lelamal »

Crash&Burn wrote:@lelamal
Sorry, I misread your original query. Try this:

[Startup & Shutdown]
.. At startup always load the following session:
.... [x] None
.... <Show my home page || Show a blank page>

Although you may want to allow Session Manager to backup the current session at shutdown, just in case...and
You can also set a Session to be an AutoSave one, although I've found thats not as useful as it would seem.

Personally, I have mine set to auto-select the previous session, and then cancel loading of said session if for some reason I don't want to load a few hundred tabs... :-)
Thank you for trying to help me out, but as I already said in my original post:
I've also set Session Manager options to "None" and "Show my home page" under "At startup always load the following session", but this just results in Firefox opening an extra home page in addition to the rest of the pinned tabs from the previous session.
Choosing "Show a blank page" just replaces the "extra home page" with an extra blank page, with the persistent addition of the pinned tabs, of course.
GHM113 wrote:Install Tab Mix Plus and configure its Session Manager the following way: http://i.imgur.com/AwYsHvM.png
Thank you for this. Following your advice, I tried this extension, and unchecking "Restore my pinned tabs from last time" is what I would need, indeed. Unfortunately, unless I am mistaken, Tab Mix Plus isn't exactly a session manager, meaning I can't save different sessions and load them according to my needs, as Session Manager does. It baffles me to think that Session Manager is packed with so many options to fine tune it to meet your needs, but at the same time lacks such a basic feature. I still prefer to believe I am missing something...
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

lelamal wrote:
Thank you for trying to help me out, but as I already said in my original post:
I've also set Session Manager options to "None" and "Show my home page" under "At startup always load the following session", but this just results in Firefox opening an extra home page in addition to the rest of the pinned tabs from the previous session.
Choosing "Show a blank page" just replaces the "extra home page" with an extra blank page, with the persistent addition of the pinned tabs, of course.
I am not sure, but opening of pinned tabs on start up may, in fact, be the browser's default action regardless of opting for "Show my home page" or not.

I'm sure that the setting in Session Mgr. is another way to access the browser setting as opposed to being an exclusive setting of the extension.

Hope this helps.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
lelamal

Post by lelamal »

WildcatRay wrote: I am not sure, but opening of pinned tabs on start up may, in fact, be the browser's default action regardless of opting for "Show my home page" or not.

I'm sure that the setting in Session Mgr. is another way to access the browser setting as opposed to being an exclusive setting of the extension.

Hope this helps.
In fact, that is all Session Manager seems to be doing. I was just hoping it could provide an option similar to unchecking "Restore my pinned tabs from last time" from Tab Mix Plus. I would logically assume it should be "At shutdown discard the current session", but, if it is, it seems not to be working as expected.
metal321

Post by metal321 »

The toolbar button for Session Manager used to show closed windows when I would close
all windows and then open a new window. Now it only shows the closed windows as long
as you still have one Firefox window open. Was this caused by a change in Firefox or a
change in the extension. I really miss seeing a list of the closed windows under the
toolbar button.
Andrew Dillon

SHUTDOWN SETTINGS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY: SessionManager 0.8.

Post by Andrew Dillon »

SHUTDOWN SETTINGS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY: Session Manager 0.8.1.12

At shutdown: backup the correct session
Checked: Treat closing last open browser window as shutting down
Checked: Save backup on browser restart
Unchecked: Use browser's built in crash recovery prompt

When browser restarts and I choose Current Browsing Session, tabs opened include tabs I'd previously closed, and exclude recently opened ones.
Don't think it's an older session.
Tabs saved seem to be the ones from a point during the last session.
Last edited by Andrew Dillon on January 31st, 2017, 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
kltpzyxmrm

Post by kltpzyxmrm »

irvinm wrote:
kltpzyxmrm wrote:Hi,

Using Session Manager 0.8.1.13pre20161130b

Im back to revisit a subject I brought up about 5 months ago.

I'm again getting random "The session/window data is corrupted:"

Since the last time I posted, I converted every saved session I had to bookmarks, then deleted every session.

Basically, I started with a clean slate by then creating new sessions with the saved bookmarks.

Everything was ok for awhile, then it all started happening again.

Really frustrating, and really odd the way it happens. For example, yesterday I launched the browser and the session was corrupted, and the 2 previous sessions were corrupted as well, even tho I had been using them. So I deleted all 3 sessions, loaded the last good session, then started and restarted the browser a bunch of times. No problems each time.

I decided to backup the session folder elsewhere, and continued to work.

Today, I opened the browser, everything is fine. Worked for a while, shut it down, came back, and got a corrupted session.

There is no pattern here. These sessions I am working from have noting to do with the sessions I mentioned from the past in that they were created recently, and are not from the sessions created from the bookmarks. I can use the same session, start after start, with little or no changes, and then randomly one will be corrupt, and the previous one I was working with and go back to can be corrupt as well, as if the current corrupt one is polluting others (I know that probably doesnt make sense, but...).

This is obviously frustrating. I never know when I am going to lose tabs and I dont know what to do about it.

Am I the only one who this is happening to? What would you do?

thanks
I've had similar experiences and think I have a pattern. In general, I use a lot of tabs (400-600) and have gotten these corrupt sessions from time to time (JSON parsing errors when loading sessions), but seems to be happening more consistently now. I currently have SM save the session every hour. When I inspect my sessions folder, I can see that each session (in this case) is about 110MB. For sessions that have become corrupt, they are only around 40MB. For me, my regular backup sessions are good (there are a few exceptions) but it is the session that is saved when closing down Firefox that is usually bad. This has happened enough that I have a workaround I do now. Before I close Firefox, I go into SM and manually save the session as this works.

My guess is that Firefox imposes some type of "time restriction" for add-ons to shutdown and if they don't complete\respond within that time they are terminated to ensure Firefox closes down in a timely manner. I am not sure if that is the case, but it fits the pattern I am seeing. (Especially, given that when I manually save the session right before closing Firefox tells me that I don't have any corrupt information being saved) Windows has a similar mechanism when it comes to shutting down services when Windows is shutting down. There is a timeout value in the registry that can be changed when to prompt the user to forcefully shutdown a service. I doubt Firefox has something similar in about:config. (Although I do see some dom.ipc.plugins.*timeout* values I might look into)

I am not sure if it is the processing time or the volume of data that is being written out with the sessions. (110MB for 500 tabs seems a bit much) Does anyone know if there are ways to trim down the information being saved? (I have already reduced the number of back buttons entries to save and put the forward entries to 0)
Sorry I didnt get back sooner. I was discouraged by the post that said this thread was no longer being supported.

Session Manager is probably my most valued utility. I had used for many years with no problems. All of a sudden this problem with the sessions started and I for the past year or so I cant solve it.

It's become a tedious chore trying to work around this issue by manually managing sessions. Every time I think I have it cleaned up, it eventually re-occurs.

I think you may be on the right track. I have several manually saved session collected over time, and never have had a problem with any of them.

When I posed this question in the past, it was explained that it was the saved content that corrupted the session.

Because of the way I would get a series of corrupted sessions in succession, I had an unfounded notion that maybe one corrupt saved session could corrupt another uncorrupted session somehow.

Even though it didn't make sense, as an experiment I recently converted all my clean sessions sessions to bookmarks, deleted those sessions, and then recreated sessions from the bookmarks, thus eliminating even the tiniest chance those old sessions could present a problem.

Everything was fine. I still have these sessions and they are uncorrupted.

But some offshoots of these sessions have become corrupted, as well as some of the new sessions that don't resemble the previous ones.

The evidence of this theory would be that not all instances of a session with identical or nearly identical content become corrupted.

I hope someone here will consider this possibility.
seranto

Post by seranto »

hi, I have 2 computers and in all for two days you see this error:

https://s6.postimg.org/z5q2fqti9/er1.jpg

you can help me?

thanks
Last edited by Daifne on January 28th, 2017, 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed img tags. Size of image breaking forum format.