[Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.13 - January 30, 2017

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Virtual_ManPL

Re: [Ext]Session Manager 0.8.1.12 - March 17, 2016

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ GHM113 - I can confirm this. The cause for this is probably Bug 1293305 - Disable non-standard for-each on nightly-only
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Morac

Post by Morac »

I just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't been ignoring everyone. I've been caring for a sick cat with cancer (my avatar) that I had for 12.5 years for about a month and was forced to euthanize him today. As such working on the add-on wasn't really foremost in my mind.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

My condolences, Morac. Our pets are family, too.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
makondo

Post by makondo »

So sorry to hear, Morac. Loss of a pet, especially such a long painful departure, is not easy. I know what i'm talking about and feel your pain. Very, very sorry.
Cyan1deDr3ams

Post by Cyan1deDr3ams »

Hello,

I adore your session manager add on for Firefox. It has helped me through one research project after another. Unfortunately, I have two concerns here that I would love help with. I am sadly not very tech savvy but I am willing to learn.

1) I have been having some issues with saving large sessions. I receive an "undefined" error like a few others have reported here and unless I End Task and "restore current session" I am unable to use session manager to save the session (so I have to use history to get back to the point I was before I had to close down firefox and try to save again). What can I do to avoid this error?

2) The most pressing problem for me at this moment is the fact that one of my sessions is apparently corrupted. I recieve the following error when clicking on it in the Load Session window .

"The session/window data is corrupted:
JSON.parse: expected ',' or '}' after property value in object at line 1 column 6453 of the JSON data(SyntaxError)"
this.Utils.JSON_decode@chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/utils.jsm:708:16
gSessionManagerSessionBrowser.initTreeView@chrome://sessionmanager/content/sessionbrowser.js:208:13
gSessionManagerSessionPrompt.displayTabTree@chrome://sessionmanager/content/session_prompt.js:997:5
gSessionManagerSessionPrompt.onSessionTreeSelect@chrome://sessionmanager/content/session_prompt.js:1024:4
onselect@chrome://sessionmanager/content/session_prompt.xul:1:1
onxblmousedown@chrome://global/content/bindings/tree.xml:1087:14
this.Utils.openWindow@chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/utils.jsm:147:10
this.Utils.prompt@chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/utils.jsm:280:1
this.Utils.selectSession@chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/utils.jsm:321:7
Private.recoverSession@chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/session_manager.jsm:1385:137
this.gSessionManager.recoverSession@chrome://sessionmanager/content/modules/session_manager.jsm:136:10
exports.loadBrowserWindow/SessionManagerWindow.onLoad@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///C:/Users/-/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/jkovohxj.default-1421771145662/extensions/%7B1280606b-2510-4fe0-97ef-9b5a22eafe30%7D.xpi!/bootstrap.js -> jar:file:///C:/Users/-/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/jkovohxj.default-1421771145662/extensions/%7B1280606b-2510-4fe0-97ef-9b5a22eafe30%7D.xpi!/packages/browserWindowOverlay.js:664:4
exports.loadBrowserWindow/SessionManagerWindow.onLoadDelayed@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///C:/Users/-/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/jkovohxj.default-1421771145662/extensions/%7B1280606b-2510-4fe0-97ef-9b5a22eafe30%7D.xpi!/bootstrap.js -> jar:file:///C:/Users/-/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/jkovohxj.default-1421771145662/extensions/%7B1280606b-2510-4fe0-97ef-9b5a22eafe30%7D.xpi!/packages/browserWindowOverlay.js:600:4
Handler.prototype.process@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:933:23
this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:812:7
this.PromiseWalker.scheduleWalkerLoop/<@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:746:1"

This session is important to me so I would like to fix it. How can I go about this? How should I open the .session file and what should I look for? I am willing to go through this methodically even though the file is for 270 tabs. I will avoid making large sessions in the future.

Any help would be appreciated. I am so sorry if I am asking rather basic questions that might annoy any readers. My condolences on the loss of your furry friend. I look at my own kitties and cannot imagine what you are going through as a new pet owner. I wish you healing and peace.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Cyan1deDr3ams,

Fixing a corrupt session is tricky, especially if it's a large one. If you can figure out where column 6543 on row of the session file and look around there for mismatched quotes or something that's a place to start.

You can also try a JSON validator web site like http://jsonlint.com and copy and past the 4th (huge) line there and it might show you the error. If none of that helps you can zip the file up and email it to me (see address in first post of this thread) and I can look at it.
Cyan1deDr3ams

Post by Cyan1deDr3ams »

Morac wrote:Cyan1deDr3ams,

Fixing a corrupt session is tricky, especially if it's a large one. If you can figure out where column 6543 on row of the session file and look around there for mismatched quotes or something that's a place to start.

You can also try a JSON validator web site like http://jsonlint.com and copy and past the 4th (huge) line there and it might show you the error. If none of that helps you can zip the file up and email it to me (see address in first post of this thread) and I can look at it.

Thank you so much. I have a hunch that I understand what the problem MIGHT be after seeing which of my sessions came up as corrupt. There are three that have the following in common: they are larger than 250 tabs, and they have a site that has an apostrophe in the name. Might the combination of those two things cause such an issue?

I apologize for asking such a simple question, but what program is best to open the session file in? I will also try the link that you suggested that will check the 4th line.

Thank you for your time.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Cyan1deDr3ams wrote:
Morac wrote:Cyan1deDr3ams,

Thank you so much. I have a hunch that I understand what the problem MIGHT be after seeing which of my sessions came up as corrupt. There are three that have the following in common: they are larger than 250 tabs, and they have a site that has an apostrophe in the name. Might the combination of those two things cause such an issue?

I apologize for asking such a simple question, but what program is best to open the session file in? I will also try the link that you suggested that will check the 4th line.

Thank you for your time.
An apostrophe shouldn't cause a problem nor should the number of tabs.

Personally I like the Notepad++ editor, but it may not be able to handle a huge file.
Cyan1deDr3ams

Post by Cyan1deDr3ams »

Fortunate that I was using Notepad++. It seems to open it. Any idea on what the rest of the error message is? Is line one the extremely long line? It doesn't seem like the actual first line doesn't have anything to be fixed.

I feel that I'm asking basic questions that are way below the skill level of anyone here. If someone could point me in the direction of a resource to help teach me the basics of this language, I would be so thankful.
xstrike9999

Post by xstrike9999 »

hey Morac, first of all thanks for developing the Session Manager extension and your work on this. I have been an constant use of this extension for almost 5 years. Also, I would like to say sorry for your loss. I know how difficult it is to part with a long-time pet.

I'm sure you're already working on the update, but could you please provide us an ETA on how long it will be before the extension is multi-process compatible? I would like to shift to multiprocess, but Session Manager is the only extension in my add-ons that it currently incompatible and since I can't do without this extension, I have been unable to shift.
johnlgalt

Post by johnlgalt »

So sorry to hear about your loss, Morac. Be happy knowing that his/her pain is now over.

I'm going to peruse the last several pages, but I seem to be having an issue with SM in that it is not loading at Fx startup correctly occasionally. If I can pin it down an figure out what is going on (and it is not just a glitch in my profile) I'll post back.
Toho

Post by Toho »

Hi there,

as a tab-hoarder first: thank you very much for this great extension!

Anyway, I just discovered an issue for which I could neither find a solution in the help documentation nor online:
Is there a way to specify a relative path in the advanced options' session location?

I cannot edit the string of the path manually but only through the GUI. All my attempts to "trick" the GUI to accept relative paths failed.

A little bit background information:
I am using Firefox on a dual boot machine. For some reason, I moved the sessions' location out of the custom profile folder some time ago (maybe due to some crash, really can't recall for sure :roll:). While this is up and running for months now, today I discovered that Ubuntu's Firefox saves sessions still in the default folder since it can not handle Windows absolute path.

Is there a fast solution to my issue? Any help appreciated a lot!
Morac

Post by Morac »

Toho,

You should be able to use a Linux absolute path. I don't think relative paths work though.
qW9FmEj7QJsjQ7

Post by qW9FmEj7QJsjQ7 »

Just wanted to say that these last days I could not use SM due to the bug on Nightly, and it was HELL. My life is so dependant on the Internet, and my Internet habits are so dependant on this plugin, it's insane. Gone back to vanilla Firefox and peace has been restored at last. Thank you so much for developing this!!!
Morac

Post by Morac »

I updated my developer channel version to fix the problem with the nightly version of Firefox. I also added preliminary support for multi-process. Basic saving/restoring should work. I'm not sure if anything more complicated than that will.