[Ext] History Submenus Ⅱ -- Show sub-menus in History Menu

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Merci chao

Re: [Ext] History Submenus Ⅱ -- Show sub-menus in History Me

Post by Merci chao »

mb502 wrote:1) No. Disabling all other plugins or extensions does not fix the issue.
2) Yes. It always happens. When reactivating HS2, but before quitting the browser, the plugin works. But after re-opening the browser it breaks again.
3) Errors in console:

ReferenceError: bundle is not defined PlacesUIUtils.jsm:132:4
1441220816377 addons.xpi WARN Exception running bootstrap method shutdown on HistorySubmenus2@Merci.chao: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIXPCComponents_Utils.import]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://historysubmenus2/content/PanelUI.jsm :: this.PanelUI.disable :: line 229" data: no] Stack trace: this.PanelUI.disable()@PanelUI.jsm:229 < onDisable()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///Users/panda/Library/Application%20Support/Firefox/Profiles/vl3cq07v.default/extensions/HistorySubmenus2@Merci.chao.xpi!/bootstrap.js:29 < shutdown()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///Users/panda/Library/Application%20Support/Firefox/Profiles/vl3cq07v.default/extensions/HistorySubmenus2@Merci.chao.xpi!/bootstrap.js:168 < XPI_callBootstrapMethod()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:4640 < XPI_updateAddonDisabledState()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:4766 < AddonWrapper_userDisabledSetter()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:7122 < set_userDisabled()@extensions.xml:1080 < oncommand()@about:addons:1 < <file:unknown>
Could not read chrome manifest 'file:///Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/chrome.manifest'.
OpenGL compositor Initialized Succesfully.
Version: 2.1 ATI-1.24.39
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 5770 OpenGL Engine
FBO Texture Target: TEXTURE_2D

4) Not sure how to do this, but the issue occurs on every Mac I've tested.

Another issue I've noticed for awhile is that HS2 causes extensive pinwheeling when accessing the History menu. The menu does not open until the pinwheeling stops. This is regardless of whether it's working properly or not.

Thanks.

The error in point 3 occurs when you disable HS2, it is another minor bug but not related to current problem.
Please try to:
1. Make sure HS2 is disabled;
2. Restart Firefox;
3. Open the Browser Console;
4. Enable HS2;
5. Check the console.

In addition, do you mean that HS2 always breaks when Firefox starts up, but always works when re-enable it?
What does the pinwheeling mean? Is it the loading cursor? Do you mean that the history menu or sub-menus need to load for a while before they open?
Please forgive my poor English, as I'm a Chin... well, Macaoese, that speak in Cantonese.

History Submenus II || Page Title in URL Bar || Double Click Top-Left to Close || Personal Menu
Merci chao

Post by Merci chao »

Here is the test version for who could help me to test:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3rlip ... sp=sharing
This test version will pop-up alert whenever HS2 starts up.
Please tell me the message you see and whether HS2 works or not.
Please forgive my poor English, as I'm a Chin... well, Macaoese, that speak in Cantonese.

History Submenus II || Page Title in URL Bar || Double Click Top-Left to Close || Personal Menu
Saint Rowan

Post by Saint Rowan »

I have also done what you asked using FireFox 40.0.3 on Macintosh (OS X 10.10.5).
I disabled all add-ons and the problem still exists.
There are no warning messages in the console. (There are no messages at all in the console.) This is true when restarting Firefox several times.
So, it is not working.
I will try your test set-up now (the one you posted yesterday).
Saint Rowan

Post by Saint Rowan »

Also...
You asked mb502:
Do you mean that the history menu or sub-menus need to load for a while before they open?

I can answer that: The answer is YES, when History Submenus is working, it takes many seconds the FIRST TIME you click on History (also Bookmarks) for either menu to populate. Once it is populated, then it is much, much faster. But the first time is very slow. (Is there a way to pre-cache? I don't need an answer, I'm just asking as a possible solution.)
Saint Rowan

Post by Saint Rowan »

Good news!
The test version "HistorySubmenus2—Merci.chao.xpi" does work! History and bookmarks now appear. (The delay still exists, which means there is the waiting pinwheel while the menu populates, but then, after that, the menu appears with the history and the bookmarks.)
Unfortunately, there are some informational panels that appear. I can't show the screen grab, but I can describe them:
The first said: "Warning" Unresponsive script" and the script is:
chrome://browser/content/places/browserPlacesViews.js:100
The second one said: "[JavaScript Application]"
Could not convert Native argument arg 5 [nslWindowWatch.openWindow] undefined

I still have all the other add-ons disabled, so it is not likely those info panels are related to another add-on.

In the Log Console, I see:
XPCWrappedNative_NoHelper { QueryInterface: QueryInterface(), message: Getter, result: Getter, name: Getter, filename: Getter, lineNumber: Getter, columnNumber: Getter, location: Getter, inner: Getter, data: Getter, 1 more… }

this.HistorySubmenus2.bind/func/<() HistorySubmenus2.jsm:520
openModalWindow() nsPrompter.js:370
ModalPrompter.prototype.openPrompt() nsPrompter.js:553
ModalPrompter.prototype.alert() nsPrompter.js:605
this.HistorySubmenus2.bind/func/<() HistorySubmenus2.jsm:514

In the JS Console, I see:
TypeError: this.controller is undefined browserPlacesViews.js:258:0
too much recursion HistorySubmenus2.jsm:209:23
Error: Script terminated by timeout at:
PlacesViewBase.prototype.options@chrome://browser/content/places/browserPlacesViews.js:100:5
PVB__insertNewItemToPopup@chrome://browser/content/places/browserPlacesViews.js:403:11
PVB__rebuildPopup@chrome://browser/content/places/browserPlacesViews.js:273:9
HM_rebuildPopup@chrome://historysubmenus2/content/HistorySubmenus2.jsm:220:18
PVB_invalidateContainer@chrome://browser/content/places/browserPlacesViews.js:738:7
PVB_containerStateChanged@chrome://browser/content/places/browserPlacesViews.js:673:7
PlacesViewBase.prototype.result@chrome://browser/content/places/browserPlacesViews.js:88:7
PlacesViewBase.prototype.place@chrome://browser/content/places/browserPlacesViews.js:60:5
this.HistorySubmenus2.bind/<@chrome://historysubmenus2/content/HistorySubmenus2.jsm:183:5
HM_rebuildPopup@chrome://historysubmenus2/content/HistorySubmenus2.jsm:215:6
PVB_invalidateContainer@chrome://browser/content/places/browserPlacesViews.js:738:7
PVB_containerStateChan
Saint Rowan

Post by Saint Rowan »

Also, every time I open a new Firefox window, I get the following message that I must manually dismiss EACH TIME:
PanelUI-HSM-historyItems initialized successfully.

I know this is "test software" but once you fix the HS problem, I hope all these JS messages will go away.
Thanks.
Merci chao

Post by Merci chao »

Saint Rowan wrote:Also, every time I open a new Firefox window, I get the following message that I must manually dismiss EACH TIME:
PanelUI-HSM-historyItems initialized successfully.

I know this is "test software" but once you fix the HS problem, I hope all these JS messages will go away.
Thanks.

Please try this one:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3rli ... Tk4Z3pHNjQ

I've tried to fix the long loading of first open, and the no histories problem.
Since I'm still not sure the root cause, the fixings may not work and you still need to take a look at the console.
Thanks.

Saint Rowan

Post by Saint Rowan »

成就
祝贺您!

All of the problems have gone away. First of all, it works! I mean, that's the most significant reply I can write. Second, the annoying delay (that causes the pinwheel) has also gone away for both History and Bookmarks. So you solved that long-standing issue as well. And last, the JS messages that were introduced have also all gone away.
I would would release this version, my friend. And pat yourself on the back!
Thanks for getting it fixed.
Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

I've returned to this thread after a year of absence, happily running History Submenus II 2.3.8. But it sounds like Firefox 45 will be the last that will run it, what with no more Add-on signing override in the next Firefox. But I see in the previous post that Saint Rowan says that the delay that causes the pinwheel has gone away in the current version of History Submenus. While Merci chao doesn't come right out and say that he's added caching or pre-fetching or whatever fixed the delay that began after v2.3.8, I'm eager to try it out. But my problem is that I cannot find a place to download v2.3.8 again if the problem isn't really solved for me.

So my question is, how do I back-up v2.3.8?

As I google around, all I can find is ways to backup your whole profile, or suggestions to use FEBE, or similar. But none of those suggestions tell me how to manually backup a single extension.
• Firefox 45.9.0 ESR
• Mac OS X 10.6.8
• MacBook Pro (5,2) 17-inch, "Mid 2009"
Merci chao

Post by Merci chao »

Schmye Bubbula wrote:I've returned to this thread after a year of absence, happily running History Submenus II 2.3.8. But it sounds like Firefox 45 will be the last that will run it, what with no more Add-on signing override in the next Firefox. But I see in the previous post that Saint Rowan says that the delay that causes the pinwheel has gone away in the current version of History Submenus. While Merci chao doesn't come right out and say that he's added caching or pre-fetching or whatever fixed the delay that began after v2.3.8, I'm eager to try it out. But my problem is that I cannot find a place to download v2.3.8 again if the problem isn't really solved for me.

So my question is, how do I back-up v2.3.8?

As I google around, all I can find is ways to backup your whole profile, or suggestions to use FEBE, or similar. But none of those suggestions tell me how to manually backup a single extension.
1. Open about:support;
2. Application Basics -> Profile Folder -> Show Folder;
3. Backup extensions/HistorySubmenus2@Merci.chao.xpi
Then you can drag the .xpi into Firefox to re-install.

In addition, you can go to about:config, turn off xpinstall.signatures.required to install an add-on that is not signed.

Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

Merci chao, many thanks for the manual back-up instructions for extensions!

Yes, I already was having to override Add-on signing for a number of extensions because I'm in Firefox 45. But as I said in my post, "Firefox 45 will be the last that will run it, what with no more Add-on signing override in the next Firefox," so toggling xpinstall.signatures.required will no longer be available.
[color=#004000]Mozilla Support[/color] wrote:You can temporarily override the setting to enforce the add-on signing requirement by changing the preference xpinstall.signatures.required to false in the Firefox Configuration Editor (about:config page). Signing will be mandatory with no override, in Firefox 46 beta and release versions. For details, see this Mozilla blog.
I've used History Submenus II 3.1.2 for a couple of days now, and I can happily confirm that the problems I had in earlier versions after 2.3.8 are gone: no more delays showing the History menu, and no "holes" in the list. I don't know whether that's because of changes in Firefox updates, or if you added caching or pre-fetching, but good work! Very happy now.
• Firefox 45.9.0 ESR
• Mac OS X 10.6.8
• MacBook Pro (5,2) 17-inch, "Mid 2009"
^k2

Post by ^k2 »

Merci chao wrote:
gylgamesh wrote:Great add-on. Thank You very much for it.

Can you please make it work for more than 365 days of history?!

It should list the Firefox history for at least 9999 days.

Thanks.
You may go to about:config and modify

Code: Select all

extensions.HistorySubmenus2@Merci.chao.submenuCount
to increase the days amount. (restart needed)
Please note that too much days may hang your Firefox.
Thank You very much for your help and for creating this great addon! Image
bawldiggle

Post by bawldiggle »

in 2015 gylgamesh wrote: Can you please make it work for more than 365 days of history?!
It should list the Firefox history for at least 9999 days.
Thanks.
I know this is an old post (2015) .... BUT ... 9999 days ... 27.5 years of browser History . . :shock: . . . ](*,)

"Merci chao" ... your addon is excellent, some people will grizzle because they can.
- thank you for your addon and your dedication :)
. . . never to old to learn!
kinoe

Post by kinoe »

Hi merci chao,

thanks a lot for your helpful addon. I use it often and i like it very much.
But recently hs2 got some failures:
1. no fonts in submenus: it only shows undefinable icons
2. only the submenu for 'today' is working other subs do not
>I disabled all other addons + reinstalled hs2- with no effect
>got firefox 52.0.1 and hs2 4.0.4
:roll:
Merci chao

Post by Merci chao »

Hi kinoe,

I've tested both Firefox 52 and 52.0.2 with HS2 4.0.4, no errors here.
The errors you mentioned should be related to Firefox 53 and above, and fixed in HS2 4.0.4.
Please check again the versions you are running.

If it is really Firefox 52.0.1, please:
1. Press Ctrl+Shift+J to open the console, open the history menu again, see if there are any errors showing in the console and paste them here;
2. Open the settings of HS2, check if the settings dialog work, rename the sub-menus as some static name like "hello world" to check if it works.