[Ext] UK TV Guide and Search

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Benjamin Markson

[Ext] UK TV Guide and Search

Post by Benjamin Markson »

Hi, I'm looking for UK Firefox users who watch TV. :)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/uk-tv-guide/

I have a Preliminary Review on this add-on but it's stuck in the dreaded: "It is unclear to us at this time if your add-on will be useful for a general audience so that it warrants public listing." category.

So, if you're in the UK and interested in finding anything to watch on TV please take a look.

Thanks,
Ben
XUL is dead. Long live the Google Chrome Clones.
keithy397

Re: [Ext] UK TV Guide and Search

Post by keithy397 »

Brilliant, quite brilliant. You've stuffed so much info in!

I use TV-Browser (which is java based and uses quite a bit of memory) but it can be a bit of a nuisance opening it up just to look for 1 or 2 progs, this extrension cuts that out for me altogether.

I've only been using it for a few hours and so far the only thing I can think of to add would be an import/export pref's function.

Nice One Ben!
Cheers,
Keith
Benjamin Markson

Thanks for taking a look, Keith, and I'm glad you like it so much. :)

By import/export, I'm guessing you mean the Channel Groups with their associated selections and aliases. If you could export your settings what would you do with them - make them available to other users?

What I'd really like is if I could get a hold of a database of broadcasters and channel numbers that tie to the Radio Times channel identifiers. At the moment the length of the list of channels is a bit intimidating.

The next thing I do have in mind is to be able to highlight the search results in the guide... not a trivial matter but I think it's doable.

Thanks again,
Ben
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Benjamin Markson wrote:Thanks for taking a look, Keith, and I'm glad you like it so much. :)

By import/export, I'm guessing you mean the Channel Groups with their associated selections and aliases. If you could export your settings what would you do with them - make them available to other users?

Purely for personal use. I use multiple Profiles and create a lot of new ones for testing purposes, so if I could import & export pref's I'd merely install & import to the Profile I'm working with. That would be preferable to selecting all the channels and creating groups again, don't ya think? Also, I like to back things up!

Benjamin Markson wrote:What I'd really like is if I could get a hold of a database of broadcasters and channel numbers that tie to the Radio Times channel identifiers. At the moment the length of the list of channels is a bit intimidating.

I've seen the channel list in TV-Browser, humungous!

Benjamin Markson wrote:The next thing I do have in mind is to be able to highlight the search results in the guide... not a trivial matter but I think it's doable.

Cool. With the search function in mind, do you think at some stage you could enable it to search more than just the prog name, ie prog name and channel and/or series number? When you search something like NCIS, there's pages of results.

Benjamin Markson wrote:Thanks again,
Ben

Croeso!
Cheers,
Keith
Benjamin Markson

Keithy397 wrote:I use multiple Profiles and create a lot of new ones for testing purposes, so if I could import & export pref's I'd merely install & import to the Profile I'm working with.

I can help you with that one straight away... just grab the sqlite file from the UKTVGuide folder in your preferred profile folder and use it to replace the ones in the other profile folders. That gives you everything - including the current 'grab' of program data.

Ben.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Benjamin Markson wrote:I can help you with that one straight away... just grab the sqlite file from the UKTVGuide folder in your preferred profile folder and use it to replace the ones in the other profile folders. That gives you everything - including the current 'grab' of program data.

Ben.

That'll do for me, thanks.
Cheers,
Keith
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Apart from what I suggested earlier Ben, how's about a reminder function?
Cheers,
Keith
Benjamin Markson

I have been pondering some kind of 'favourites' type filter. I'm mainly waiting to see how much interest it gathers... currently there are only 14 users. #-o

Ben
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

I'm sure it'll gather momentum sooner or later Ben.
Cheers,
Keith
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Thanks for the update Ben.
Cheers,
Keith
bonfire_bill

Post by bonfire_bill »

Have just installed this ext and it looks handy. Maybe colour code the genres ?
Many thanks
Bill
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

No way.......Ben & Bill, it'll never catch on?? :roll:
Cheers,
Keith
Benjamin Markson

Hey Bill,

Something along the lines of allowing you to tag your own colours against a list of genres might be doable. Although, I kinda like seeing the films highlighted and they have genres too. So, I'm not sure how to colour the genre and at the same time highlight the films.

Currently, if you select a genre in Search... flip to the Guide and check the Highlight Search box... all the programs for your selected genre will be coloured yellow.

Keith, you really will need to do a reality check if a Weed Little turns up. :mrgreen:

Benjamin.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Benjamin Markson wrote:Hey Bill,

Something along the lines of allowing you to tag your own colours against a list of genres might be doable. Although, I kinda like seeing the films highlighted and they have genres too. So, I'm not sure how to colour the genre and at the same time highlight the films.

A coloured border maybe or an icon Image in the programme text box or somewhere?

Ben wrote:Keith, you really will need to do a reality check if a Weed Little turns up.

Ha, a relation of Ralf Little in The Royle Family perhaps?!
Cheers,
Keith
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

I've been noticing this sort of error showing up of late:

Any idea's?
Cheers,
Keith