[Ext] Easy Copy

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
jkeks

Re: [Ext] Easy Copy

Post by jkeks »

please add one little feature:
show little message like balloon on 3-5 seconds when copied with own text and template if it's not too hard.
I used vimperator and used 'y' to copy, it's was very comfortable to see that url was copied.

Thanks
oombii

Post by oombii »

jkeks wrote:please add one little feature:
show little message like balloon on 3-5 seconds when copied with own text and template if it's not too hard.

Thanks for the request. I think there are some options available that I'll investigate. I remember the status bar being used for this sort of notification but that's no longer the case since it disappeared completely.

If it's an easy thing to do (ie. FF already has built-in support that works out of the box) then I'll try and fit it into one of the upcoming releases. If it's not easy, then it might have to wait a bit longer because notifications are always a tricky thing to get right, esp. if you're targeting different systems.

(BTW, vimperator seems to have implemented custom notifications that integrate with their command line, so can't be reused).

Thanks again for the request.
Please support Easy Copy by contributing on Patreon, via PayPal or with a Flattr.
jkeks

Post by jkeks »

jkeks

Post by jkeks »

maybe just let to execute any JavaScript code when pressed hotkeys
esponki

Post by esponki »

I would like to suggest to add the possibility of copying the alt text of images. This is useful because math expressions in Wikipedia articles contain the LaTeX code to generate them in the alt text.
oombii

Post by oombii »

esponki wrote:I would like to suggest to add the possibility of copying the alt text of images. This is useful because math expressions in Wikipedia articles contain the LaTeX code to generate them in the alt text.

That's a good idea and shouldn't be hard to implement. Just to confirm the request, can you please give an example Wikipedia page and an example image that you want the alt text for? I assume you mean something like the images on Continuum hypothesis?
Please support Easy Copy by contributing on Patreon, via PayPal or with a Flattr.
computergeoffrey

Post by computergeoffrey »

oombii wrote:
computergeoffrey wrote:The shortcut to copy URL to clipboard is not working in other windows than the first. I customised my shortcut with Customizable Shortcuts (see https://github.com/ttaubert/customizable-shortcuts). I tried F1, Insert and Dollar-key. With the default shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+U it seems to work. How can I assign another key combination without breaking the functionality?

I suspect it might have something to do with the way that Customizable Shortcuts registers the shortcuts. I tried assigning a different shortcut to Copy URL using keyconfig and it worked both on the first window and any subsequent window.

I've only ever tested Easy Copy with keyconfig so that's the only working advice I can give you right now. But I'll log this issue and try and investigate what's going on when I have some time. It may be a bit lower priority though seeing that it works with Keyconfig but I'll have a look when I have some time.

BTW, are you using the latest version of Customizable Shortcuts? They seem to have put a fix out 5 months ago relating to tab groups and some other fixes.

Yes, this is using the latest version of Customizable Shortcuts. Thanks for your reply. Other custom shortcuts with Customizable Shortcuts work across multiple windows. I filed a bug with Customizable Shortcuts, maybe they see the problem: https://github.com/ttaubert/customizabl ... /issues/86

Also, using keyconfig works. So as a workaround, I now use both keyconfig and Customizable Shortcuts (I need the second for other shortcuts that don't work with keyconfig).
em28

Post by em28 »

Hi, there.
Is it possible to add an option to paste with middle-click ?
I saw it in some extension (ClickCutter/AutoCopy) and it felt more intuitive than dbl-click.
In that case the extension must deal with middle-click scroll. #-o
nickodemos

Post by nickodemos »

[ url=http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2421905&start=60][Ext] Easy Copy • mozillaZine Forums[/url]

Was wondering about adding an option for using the url without the domain. I work on a website that has multiple domain urls but the content is the same. So when I post urls to needed information many times people are not logged in on that domain and then get booted to the login page.

Was wondering about an option to take the link above and turn it instead to:

[ url=/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2421905&start=60][Ext] Easy Copy • mozillaZine Forums[/url]

This would allow me to post one link that seven different domains can all go to. Right now I have to hand edit this.

One other thing. Possible to add an option to send links to a url shortener? Right now some websites will cut off any link with a ampersand in the title and breaks the link.

Ie if I use this http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=72129 the link turns into this when clicked on at the site. http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=series
CleverClogs

Post by CleverClogs »

Hi,

When I install Easy Copy in my default Firefox profile with all other add-ons disabled, the Copy Title - Link option in the context menu is greyed out. When I install Easy Copy in a clean Firefox profile, the option Copy Title - Link comes up just fine. I'd hate to have to create a whole new profile just to get Easy Copy to run. Can you think of some circumstance that might explain why that option got greyed out in the first place? Thank you so much for helping out.

Kindest,

Marjolein
yemiteliyadu

Post by yemiteliyadu »

Just started using your Easy Copy extension and I like the possibilities of customized templates.
I am having trouble with one particular customization:
%selection% - %links_text% - %url%
My intent is to copy the selected text with embedded links following it and ending with page url.
The resulting text is all joined together without line breaks. However, the individual items %selection%, %links_text%, and %url% are all formatted fine with proper line breaks and spacing.
Any suggestions on how to fix my template to retain the line breaks?
Or is this a bug?
Thanks.
oombii

Post by oombii »

em28 wrote:Is it possible to add an option to paste with middle-click ?
I saw it in some extension (ClickCutter/AutoCopy) and it felt more intuitive than dbl-click.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I try to stick to just copying functionality in Easy Copy but there's no reason why you couldn't use the 2 extensions together. I assume ClickCutter just pastes whatever is in the clipboard at the time, so it can paste whatever Easy Copy has copied.

Or is there something else that you wanted to accomplish?
oombii

Post by oombii »

nickodemos wrote:Was wondering about adding an option for using the url without the domain.

Yes, this would definitely be possible. I'll probably call it something like %relative_url%. Hopefully I'll have some time over the next couple of weeks to get out a release.

nickodemos wrote:One other thing. Possible to add an option to send links to a url shortener?

As tempting as it sounds to integrate URL shorteners (and I have considered and looked into it), I think it would be really hard to maintain. I've seen similar extensions struggle to keep up with changing APIs and the number of new/old shorteners, esp. since everyone has their favourite shortener. Perhaps when there's a lot more time... :)

I know there are dedicated extensions that do URL shortening so you could possibly try one of them, but I can understand that this wouldn't be as convenient.
oombii

Post by oombii »

CleverClogs wrote:When I install Easy Copy in my default Firefox profile with all other add-ons disabled, the Copy Title - Link option in the context menu is greyed out. When I install Easy Copy in a clean Firefox profile, the option Copy Title - Link comes up just fine. I'd hate to have to create a whole new profile just to get Easy Copy to run. Can you think of some circumstance that might explain why that option got greyed out in the first place?

That's weird. Normally, items only get greyed out if they don't apply to a certain context. Eg. if your template says "%selection% - %url%" but there isn't anything selected, then that option would be greyed out.

In the case of the default Copy Title Link, there is always some context available, so I can't see why it would be greyed out.

Here's how the default template should look:

Code: Select all

<a href="%url%">%title%</a>

Have you perhaps made any customisations to the default template? Would it be possible for you to go to options and paste the template that you're trying to use?

Also, are the other templates enabled and working? If so, please also paste an example of one that's working.
oombii

Post by oombii »

yemiteliyadu wrote:I am having trouble with one particular customization:
%selection% - %links_text% - %url%
My intent is to copy the selected text with embedded links following it and ending with page url.
The resulting text is all joined together without line breaks. However, the individual items %selection%, %links_text%, and %url% are all formatted fine with proper line breaks and spacing.
Any suggestions on how to fix my template to retain the line breaks?

I think the problem is that you haven't added line breaks between the variables themselves. So your template should look like this:

Code: Select all

%selection%

%links_text%

%url%

You can add newlines in the Template text box by just pressing Enter (or just template the code above).