[ext] Luddite UI - closed for business.

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Re: [ext] Luddite UI - now looking for testers.

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy patrickjdempsey,

you are welcome! [*grin*]

heck, write your own code and _then_ compare it to what LARG did. the two of you may come up with useful variants that each can use. in any case, it's often fun to read thru the logic of how different programmers solve a problem.

i don't use themes since i like to diddle with the CSS stuff to achieve most of the effects i use. still, i know others value them, so i'm sorry to hear you are surrendering to the firefox devs antipathy to themes. while they may not actually be deliberately hostile to themeing, they certainly _seem_ to be aiming in that direction. [*sigh ...*]

take care,
lee
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I simply have no desire to keep up with the relentless onslaught of changes. Mozilla decided that the answer to users complaining that they didn't notice anything different with rapid releases was to introduce UI changes into as many versions as possible. Which is stupid and backwards and just makes ridiculous amounts of work for the people who have to support it.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy patrickjdempsey,

that's the impression i had gathered. you are quite right that it is appallingly foolish of them. [*sigh ...*]

take care,
lee
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

Thank you very much,Patrick :wink: ! Luckily there are some folks around able to straighten back what they enthusiastically keep on ruining for no good reason.
patrickjdempsey

Well I got an awesome new version ready that restores the favicons, disables autofill, and cleans up some things but it's being blocked by AMO because it's designed to work in multiple versions. ](*,)

P.S. after looking at that extension, I decided I really don't like the way it restores favicons... it will probably cause a memory leak, and it tends to be a little slow in updating the graphic when you switch tabs. I used it as an inspiration but totally rewrote it differently.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

AHA! I figured it out. The error is the wrong message. What was really wrong was that I had an empty folder. My "duplicate entries" passed just fine.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Well I got an awesome new version ready that restores the favicons, disables autofill, and cleans up some things but it's being blocked by AMO because it's designed to work in multiple versions. ](*,)

More good news :wink: ,any chance we can download it somewhere and test it?

patrickjdempsey wrote:P.S. after looking at that extension, I decided I really don't like the way it restores favicons... it will probably cause a memory leak, and it tends to be a little slow in updating the graphic when you switch tabs.

I think I've seen a small delay also when a new site is opened in the same tab.
patrickjdempsey

As always, it's located on the Versions page:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

In the original, the delay can vary depending on when the function fires, but it can be as long as a quarter of a second.
patrickjdempsey

Version 0.2.1 includes several fixes and support for upcoming Firefox 15 (which has lot's of changes and new features):

New to 0.2.1:

- Changed the identity box colors slightly.
- Completely re-wrote the code to disable dark backgrounds for images.
- Put the white icons override into the presets.
- Added option to restore the busy mouse cursor under General and added to presets.
- Removed bottom and side borders on bottom toolbar when Aero border is on.
- Added option to restore toolbar separator and added to presetss.

- Created separate prefs panel for Development versions and added Firefox 15 support:
-- Updated the way identity box colors are done to work in Firefox 15.
-- Added option to disable in-Content Options and added to presets.
-- Cleaned up the toolbar backgrounds in Firefox 15 (screwed up by lack of tabs-on-bottom).

Most of you won't notice the differences when you update. If you want to see how things have changed you need to open up the preferences panel and choose either a preset, or dig through the various options.
eliuri

Post by eliuri »

Hi Patrick:

I'm trying out Luddite 0.2.1 for Firefox 14.0.1 mainly as a way to restore favicons and highlighting of the identity box. I'd like to look into some those other features it offers later. I do like the way you did that highlighting. And nice touch with that padlock on the right

However, the favicon often doesn't change when a new site is loaded on the same tab. Sometimes, it takes a while , and other times I need to reload the page to get the new favicon. Something along the lines of what you said above about "Favicon Inserter", but much more so when a new site is loaded on same tab than when switching tabs-- though the latter occurs here as well. On my end ,the delay is considerably more than the "quarter of a second" you mentioned above. The address bar tends to retain the favicon of the previous site. I've tested this on another PC using a new profile and the same occurred.

I like the idea that your extension addresses many issues created by recent Mozilla development all within a single extension. So I'm hoping that this delay in updating the favicon when switching sites can be ameliorated.

Much thanks for your work on this:

-eliuri

Firefox 14.0.1
Luddite 0.2.1
patrickjdempsey

Thank you. I hadn't noticed that but now that you mention it, there is an issue. I think it's because I'm waiting for the page to finish loading and that's significantly longer than when Firefox loads the tab favicon. I also need to have a blank favicon during page load. This is all why I originally suspected this was going to be very difficult to restore.
patrickjdempsey

OK. I've been playing around and got something that works a little better with version 0.2.2. It still randomly fails. I think it's possible that Firefox is not correctly firing all of the page-load events it's supposed to. I'm currently listening for these events:

TabSelect: fires immediately on tab change. - I'm loading immediately.
DOMTitleChanged: fires immediately on title change. - I'm loading immediately and on a delay.
DOMContentLoaded: fires on page load completion. - I'm loading immediately and on a delay.

The fact that it sometimes still doesn't refresh the favicon makes me think Firefox isn't firing all events. The addition of DOMTitleChanged and the delayed scripts does make it significantly more robust than the previous version.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Would DOMLinkAdded help in some cases? https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Listen ... inkHandler
patrickjdempsey

Hmmm.... I'll look into it later when I get the chance. Thank you. :)

Meanwhile, I did finally figure out how to change the urlbar search option. Buried in the preference options is the choice of "unichar" which allows you to put unicode characters in the XUL and it will convert them into the correct characters in the preference. I'm offering the following choices:

Netscape: Google - I'm feeling lucky
Fx 2.0-3.6: Google - Browse By Name
Fx 4.0+: Google search
Yahoo seach
Bing seach
IxQuick search
DuckDuckGo - I'm feeling ducky

For all that offer HTTPS, I'm using that version. (Bing and Yahoo do not). If anyone has suggestions for more urlbar searches they would like to see I'd be happy to add them. I tried out my "disable Google Instant" code and it no longer works, I guess Google "fixed" it. I'm trying to decide if I want to add Browse By Name to the presets, I probably will, just trying to make sure there aren't any arguments against it that I haven't thought of.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

I wrote myself a favicon replacer when it was first removed. I never released it since it fires too often. I don't care about that since I'm the only one using it, but I thought it might be helpful to you.

Code: Select all

let URLfavIcon = {
  onLocationChange: function(a, b, c) {document.getElementById('page-proxy-favicon').setAttribute('src', gBrowser.selectedTab.image)},
  onStateChange: function(a, b, c, d) {document.getElementById('page-proxy-favicon').setAttribute('src', gBrowser.selectedTab.image)},
  onProgressChange: function(a, b, c, d, e, f) {document.getElementById('page-proxy-favicon').setAttribute('src', gBrowser.selectedTab.image)},
  onStatusChange: function(a, b, c, d) {document.getElementById('page-proxy-favicon').setAttribute('src', gBrowser.selectedTab.image)}
};
window.addEventListener("load", function() {gBrowser.addProgressListener(URLfavIcon)}, false);
window.addEventListener("unload", function() {gBrowser.removeProgressListener(URLfavIcon)}, false);
It probably doesn't need all four state changes, but I never tested it. It always matches the tab icon without any noticeable delay (at least for me.)