[Ext] Sort and Search Customization Dialogs

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
jmozmoz

[Ext] Sort and Search Customization Dialogs

Post by jmozmoz »

Sort and Search Customization Dialogs 0.1.0

The Sort and Search Customization Dialogs extension sorts the buttons in toolbar customization dialogs by their names. Also it adds a search box to filter the buttons shown in the dialog by a given string.

It is available for Firefox, Thunderbird and Seamonkey at addons.mozilla.org.

The current version is 0.1.0 (2014/03/29) for Firefox, Thunderbird and Seamonkey.

Changelog:
  • 0.1.0 Update for Firefox 29 (Australis UI)
  • 0.0.8 Internal cleanups to remove message in error console
  • 0.0.7=0.0.7beta2
  • 0.0.7beta2 The image attribute of a toolbar button preceeds the CSS settings in list-style-image.
  • 0.0.7beta1 Some handling of restartless add-ons.
  • 0.0.6 Determine addon names and add them to tooltip texts in dialog. The buttons can be search for by addon names. Remove a bug if two buttons have the same title.
  • 0.0.5 The way to sort the buttons in the customization dialog can now be specified by a menu in the dialog.
  • 0.0.4 Added (internal) preference to sort buttons by addon name (actually the first part of the button image URL). To use it set the preference extensions.SortCustomizationDialog.sortBy to 1. If buttons are added (e.g. by a newly installed addon) (and the corresponding customization dialog was opened before) the new buttons are shown with a red background the first time the dialog is opened.
  • 0.0.3 Added addon icon.
  • 0.0.2 Add search box.
  • 0.0.1 Sort buttons.

ToDo:
  • Update filtered buttons after drag of button from toolbar into dialog.
Please post any comments to this thread.
Last edited by jmozmoz on March 29th, 2014, 3:00 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Re: [Ext] Sort and Search Customization Dialogs

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy jmozmoz,

thank you for this! [*grin*] i have been putting off installing a button pack that has great gobs of buttons simply because it made the customization dialog so difficult to use.

will you please consider adding tbird to the supported apps?
never mind ... i finally found it. [*grin*] thanks for including tbird!

for those who prefer usa english, here's a link ...
Sort and Search Customization Dialogs :: Add-ons for Firefox
Sort and Search Customization Dialogs :: Add-ons for Thunderbird

take care,
lee
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

I have updated the links to point to the correct language versions of the AMO site above.

The reason why I created his addon was the same problem you mention: I use the addon toolbar buttons and I knew there is the button I need but couldn't find it.
Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy jmozmoz,

thank you for this! [*grin*] i have been putting off installing a button pack that has great gobs of buttons simply because it made the customization dialog so difficult to use.

will you please consider adding tbird to the supported apps?
never mind ... i finally found it. [*grin*] thanks for including tbird!

for those who prefer usa english, here's a link ...
Sort and Search Customization Dialogs :: Add-ons for Firefox
Sort and Search Customization Dialogs :: Add-ons for Thunderbird

take care,
lee
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy jmozmoz,

that is the one i was avoiding! [*grin*] i want to add it so i can use the options button that opens a non-modal options dialog.

take care,
lee
sidebar

Post by sidebar »

Hi, jmozmoz

to answer your question to my comment in the add-ons section: with chronological order I simply meant that icons of add-ons that were the latest to get installed would be displayed at the bottom, and the icons of add-ons installed earlier more toward the top. The reason is, because sometimes the latest installed add-on won't display its icon(s) at the end, and I don't know the name and look of its icons yet and what to look for in the alphabetical order.

Of course, I understand that a chronological order would conflict with the FF standard icons, maybe those should always stay on top, no idea. ;)

Another possibility to find one's way around the icon mess would perhaps be to arrange them according to one's own preference, perhaps even in groups with lines as separators, but I doubt this is possible to do for a programmer outside Mozilla.

As it is, your alphabetical order seems to be the best solution. (Or perhaps only the very latest installed add-ons will be displayed at the very end of the existing alphabetical order, until one choses to arrange them alphabetically too).

Thanks again.
K4RBQT99

Post by K4RBQT99 »

@sidebar
An alternative way for to manage that "issue" could be that this addon highlights in some way the new toolbar items added since that last time that the customize window was open. I ~guess~ that it could be more accesible to do. Take it, jmozmoz, as a suggestion.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

search and alpha sorting is a big improvement, thanks. still, it would be awesomer to have a 'sort/group by extension' as well. the only way to do this i can think of, is to get the button's list-style-image and do some parsing on the url. you could use

Code: Select all

window.getComputedStyle(buttonNode, null).listStyleImage;

so a list-style-image: url("chrome://toolbar-button/skin/24/button.png") would get 'toolbar-button'. perhaps it's even possible to relate that to manifest info in the addons interface, to get stuff like pretty name and date of install. same extension buttons could have like background colors, etc. now we're talking killer feature territory..
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

I asked at IRC (#extdev at irc.mozilla.org) and there is no way to find out the overlay by which a XUL element (i.e. the toolbar button) was added. But there might be some different ways:
  • Use the toolbar button (XUL) id: At least for newer addons they have to be prefixed by an addon specific string. Sorting for the IDs would sort by addon. But e.g. for the toolbar buttons addon this would mix up a lot of buttons (or even worse: this addon is so old, that it does not follow the requirement to prefix its XUL elements, so the buttons were not sorted correctly).
  • Try the proposed way of alta88: Do you know a way to get the relation between the URL and the manifest? At least for the toolbar buttons addon, this would work. But there might be addons, which use images for buttons which are supplied by Firefox/Thunderbird, so these would be placed incorrectly. Also buttons supplied by Firefox/Thunderbird might have different strings at the beginning of there URL, so they get mixed up.
Regarding he chronological order: There would probably a way to store the buttons in the dialog the last time it was closed and put any new ones (some how sorted) at the end.
So thank you for the suggestions...

... I tried the approach with the image URL. The result for Firefox with toolbar buttons addon installed looks more confusing than when just sorting by name. I guess it would require more work then just sorting by addon, e.g. some layout changes in the dialog: Start buttons in a new line for the next addon; add a title with the addon name.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

there are apis to get extension info (see https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Addons ... donManager). you could get all extensions, create an object with name (packagename) being derived from the AddonInstall object's iconURL (or such) and the value being an object containing interesting things like pretty name, installDate, etc. so a name for Toolbar Buttons would be 'toolbar-button'. this would then be used to process all the buttons in the customize list, with name derived from list-style-image.

this will get the large majority of cases. the important problematic case is really extensions with buttons yet without any way to get a packagename (no iconURL etc) other than opening up chrome.manifest yourself and looking for the second token in the 'skin' line.

imo, a visual grouping by extension is quite important and the real reason people are asking for date. it's enough to just have alternating color backgrounds, and a tooltip, for example.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Thank you for the tip. I now use convertChromeURL to get the location where the button image is save (on the disk). Then this location is compared with the installation directory/file of all addons to get the addon, which provides the button (see the code).
alta88 wrote:there are apis to get extension info (see https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Addons ... donManager). you could get all extensions, create an object with name (packagename) being derived from the AddonInstall object's iconURL (or such) and the value being an object containing interesting things like pretty name, installDate, etc. so a name for Toolbar Buttons would be 'toolbar-button'. this would then be used to process all the buttons in the customize list, with name derived from list-style-image.

this will get the large majority of cases. the important problematic case is really extensions with buttons yet without any way to get a packagename (no iconURL etc) other than opening up chrome.manifest yourself and looking for the second token in the 'skin' line.

imo, a visual grouping by extension is quite important and the real reason people are asking for date. it's enough to just have alternating color backgrounds, and a tooltip, for example.
syldub

Post by syldub »

Hi

"Sort and Search Customization Dialogs" is greatly useful, but sadly, it is incompatible with another well known FF addon : Save Session.

I'm using :
- Windows 7 32-bit
- FireFox 24.2 and 26.0 (I get the same behavior on the two)
- Sort and Search Customization Dialogs 0.0.8 (FF addon)
- Save Session 1.3.1.6 (FF addon)

Bug description : When going into Firefox's builtin "Customize Toolbar" dialog, when I click on "Done", then all Firefox menus in Menu bar stay disabled (greyed out). No menu is then accessible.

I use a clean Firefox profile with only these 2 add-ons installed.

Do you have an idea why we get this behavior ?
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Hi, I can reproduce it. The problem is, that both addons overwrite the customizeDone function of the customization dialog. Unfortunately I didn't find way to fix this problem. Perhaps you can also contact the author of the Save Session addon. Perhaps you can use the Session Manager addon as a replacement for it.
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... on-manager
apollo16

Post by apollo16 »

Hi, jmozmoz,
I'm using your extension "Sort and Search Customization Dialogs" under Firefox 30
and run very well.
Unforuntaley i have an other old computer with FireFox 3.6.28
and other Browser: PaleMoon 3.6.32 Portable based on FireFox Core

and i have downloaded and installed your more older extension Ver. 0.0.6 compatible with these versions of Fx 3.6 but XPI installed don't runs.
When i digit name of AddOn or name of button into window Customization Dialogs
search nothing.
Have you possibility to re-check that version under Old Fx, please ?
I found on web only your extension that permit to "sort" and "found" buttons
into "Window Customization Dialog".

Thanks