Menu Editor 1.2

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

The idea hasn't been dropped, but I don't work on Menu Editor at the moment. Not sure when I get to it.
Lost User 146821

Post by Lost User 146821 »

jsallo wrote:What I'd like to see:

Make the display and editing 'tree-like' (like bookmarks).

This would allow me to open items that appear in folders and create folders to group items properly in cascading menus.

Must quote you dude.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

You can also use dorando's Menu Manipulator. I think it has that.
Lost User 146821

No thanks, I'm not going to leave ME.
Peng

Post by Peng »

I notice something: If you have moved an extension's menu items, and then uninstall and reinstall that extension, all the menu items that were enabled before will be put at the bottom of the menu, but ones you had disabled will still be in their proper places. This in Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b5) Gecko/20050927 Firefox/1.4 ID:2005092705.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
symbol

Post by symbol »

Peng wrote:I notice something: If you have moved an extension's menu items, and then uninstall and reinstall that extension, all the menu items that were enabled before will be put at the bottom of the menu, but ones you had disabled will still be in their proper places.

I've noticed this too. I think this has always been a problem.
Peng

Post by Peng »

symbol wrote:
Peng wrote:I notice something: If you have moved an extension's menu items, and then uninstall and reinstall that extension, all the menu items that were enabled before will be put at the bottom of the menu, but ones you had disabled will still be in their proper places.

I've noticed this too. I think this has always been a problem.

Yeah, I've always noticed it, I think, but, well, I had never really noticed that disabled items didn't get moved. And it couldn't hurt to bring it up. :)
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

Could you please file a bug, so that we can investigate it, when I or velcrospud have time? Thanks.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Fatal Error: Menu Editor blocks access to the Extension Manager with Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b5) Gecko/20050928 Firefox/1.4 - Build ID: 2005092806.

Took me a while to find it, but it is there: I disabled it in Safe Mode, which FF now allows, that did not fix the problem, so I returned to safe mode and removed it, whereupon the problem went away.

I then reinstalled it, and the problem had returned. I deleted it in safe mode. Unfortunately, that did not fix the problem, as I could not access the extension manager.

Had to create a new profile, start reinstalling extensions for the second time today, sigh. I'm quite certain that the problem arose with today's daily update, as I had no problems with 20050927 or earlier daily updates to Beta1, which is what the update shown above is, a branch-version updated Firefox.

[EDIT]I've found a few others: Spoofstick, SnagIt's toolbar. These may work in a profile that has only a few extensions, but all three mentioned in this thread are problematic when I have about twenty-five extensions installed. Spoofstick I was able to delete and then remove its entries in prefs.js, which restored Extension Manager access, but not the other two, sigh.
0live

Post by 0live »

Curious, same build as you + ME 1.2 and the EM opens fine. Could be another extension of yours colliding somehow.
Linux i686 (ubuntu-gutsy) | Minefield (20081118020400) | Tb 2.0.0.17pre (2008092517) w/ Lightning
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

0live wrote:Curious, same build as you + ME 1.2 and the EM opens fine. Could be another extension of yours colliding somehow.

I agree, but trying to find out which is/are the culprit(s) when the EM won't even open, is very frustrating, indeed.

I will try to do some more testing tomorrow, but I did want to warn users that they might encounter serious problems. My problems were compounded by a fatal error in the Thunderbird update, wherein message filters would continue to move messages to their relevant folders, but those messages would no longer have any text. I was able, eventually, to figure out that it was the folder mechanism; my Bugzilla report (#310305) sure got some attention today!
0live

Post by 0live »

indeed =)
just to make it clear, is the EM error occuring in FF and/or in TB?
Linux i686 (ubuntu-gutsy) | Minefield (20081118020400) | Tb 2.0.0.17pre (2008092517) w/ Lightning
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

0live wrote:indeed =)
just to make it clear, is the EM error occuring in FF and/or in TB?

I don't know about TB, as I don't use it there: Since I rarely access the menus in TB, I have yet to get around to installing EM in TB.

On the other hand, I just noticed that the daily update to TB is pending, which is supposed to have fixed the critical error of filters deleting the text of messages, so I shall run same. Before typing this, I looked at the size of the .mar update file; I suspect that someone read my complaints about the system not working properly, for the file is only 215KB, not the multi-MB of the past few days.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Finally, I found the problem, although I certainly don't understand it: When I have MR Local Install set to open the Extension Manager in a new tab, the EM will fail with certain extensions, Menu Editor being one of them!

Perhaps the oddest extension problem I've encountered has been with Image Zoom: I had it installed yesterday, and the EM-in-a-tab worked fine. I reinstalled IZ a short while ago, whereupon trying to access the EM caused FF to crash, instead of yesterday's "usual" complete lack of any action when trying to access the EM after installing such extensions as Menu Editor.

When I told Local Install to open the EM in a new window instead of a new tab, then I could install Image Zoom and Menu Editor and still have the EM work.

Quite odd and I have not the slightest idea what is causing the problem: I was using the same extensions and had the EM opening in a tab with FF 0927, but with 0928, well, many problems.
Lost User 146821

Any chance yuo're going to make it work on Firefox 1.5?