[Ext] Adblock Plus 0.5.11.4

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Peng

Post by Peng »

Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
xpgeek

Post by xpgeek »

Thank you, those work.
Ulobor

Does not work with SeaMonkey

Post by Ulobor »

Adblock-plus-0.5.11 does not work any more with SeaMonkey. It gets installed without error, but the status bar icon is missing and the adblock preferences popup shows no content. The development version adblock-plus-0.5.10+ as at Nov 21st 2005 used to work. (I did not test any version in between.)

I'm using a SeaMonkey nightly: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051210 SeaMonkey/1.0b, and there is the same problem with the SeaMonkey 1.0a release.

By the way, there is a minor UI issue affecting all Adblock Plus versions when used with SeaMonkey. In chrome/adblock.jar/skin/classic/contents.rdf all occurences of "urn:mozilla:skin:classic" have to be replaced with "urn:mozilla:skin:classic/1.0". Otherwise SeaMonkey is displaying an additional empty theme in Edit->Preferences->Appearence->Themes or View->Apply Theme respectively.
Ulobor

I have to correct myself...

Post by Ulobor »

I have to correct myself.

The "minor UI issue" turns out to be the cause of the problem. I've replaced those contents.rdf entries "classic" with "classic/1.0" in the adblock-plus-0.5.11.xpi package and it is working again with SeaMonkey.

Seems you have to create a separate SeaMonkey version...
Old WildcatRay

Post by Old WildcatRay »

I have an (odd) question. I use two profiles both of which have adblock plus installed. Why does the box with Adblock in the Status Bar at the bottom of the FF window have solid underline in one profile and a dashed underline in the other?
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

WildcatRay wrote:I have an (odd) question. I use two profiles both of which have adblock plus installed. Why does the box with Adblock in the Status Bar at the bottom of the FF window have solid underline in one profile and a dashed underline in the other?
It indicates the staus of quickblock. You can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+k to toggle between the 3 states:
Unbroken line: Full
Broken line: Partial
No line: Off
See The Adblock Project - What is Quickblock?
foghorn

Post by foghorn »

I was slow, so i only give this Tips & Tricks link:
http://p2.forumforfree.com/tips-amp-tri ... kplus.html
Felipe1982

Post by Felipe1982 »

what is the difference, then, between the "whitelisting" and just adding "@@domain.ext" to the preferences window?

Do i make feature suggestions here (at forums.mozillazine.org?)
Felipe1982

Post by Felipe1982 »

I would like to support a site, any site that I think needs supporting. But lets say that I installed AB+ before I knew about the site that I would like to support. I visit the site, and see *NO* google adds in a frame, or a picture, or whatever. How would I know that the site indeed uses those features to generate income???? Adblock should *inform* me that those elements were indeed blocked successfully. That was, i could choose to whitelist them, and thus help the site generate income.

did that make sense?
Junx

Post by Junx »

Wonderful, not a valid install package. Stuck with 20051211 for now.
Jus

Post by Jus »

You could just click on the adblock icon to view the adblockable list. Blocked items are shown there.
Peng

Post by Peng »

Felipe1982 wrote:I would like to support a site, any site that I think needs supporting. But lets say that I installed AB+ before I knew about the site that I would like to support. I visit the site, and see *NO* google adds in a frame, or a picture, or whatever. How would I know that the site indeed uses those features to generate income???? Adblock should *inform* me that those elements were indeed blocked successfully. That was, i could choose to whitelist them, and thus help the site generate income.

did that make sense?

You could selectively block things instead of selectively unblocking them...
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Junx wrote:Wonderful, not a valid install package. Stuck with 20051211 for now.

Don't worry, Junx. You and I might be better off with this version until mcm_ham gets back from being "away for the next wee while". There might be a bug in 0.5.11. Are you having any problems with 20051211?
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
Adblock Plus 0.5.10.20051211
Felipe1982

Post by Felipe1982 »

:::peng:::

like this?
1) support "all sites"
2) blacklist sites I don't want to support?

But this downloads all the ads and stuff into my computer anyways, stuff I don't want/need.

What AB+ really needs is a more complete context menu on R.Clicking the statusbar icon
1) a "support list" shortcut
2) a white list shortcut (i know shft ctrl N does it, but an extra way to do it with the mouse isn't bad)
3) shortcuts each for showing/unshowing DIV elements, showing/unshowing obj-tags....et al.
4) show the state of the current "domain" or 'website": i.e. If I am on www.billgatesrulestheworld.com, I want to R.CLick Ab+ and it will show me one of three icons, or show no icon if nothing was blocked: a)blocked; b)whitelisted; c)supported (adhiding)

These UI seem like no-brainers (i'm no programmer --- and I don't want to seem rude sorry, i've had very little sleep)

These shortcuts avoid the annoying large prefs window. I dont' think these would be terribly hard to do. I've heard that the "creator" is "busy" or whatever, and thats fine. But i think these suggestions should be considered. What do you all think?
Felipe1982

Post by Felipe1982 »

ok...here's more

Instead of 3 windows (support list, whitelist, normal or (blacklist) ) have one window with radio checkboxes (round ones). Then the user can see quickly the state of their favourite, or not-favourite, websites.

here's an image of the menus one should see when opening the prefs (regular expressions could appear beneath a different tab on the same window (or someone else can think of something)

My ASCII skills aren't so sharp, but my ms paint ones are ;-)

http://www.geocities.com/wencer/images/ABplus.gif