[Ext] Adblock Plus 0.5.11.4

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
edbro

Post by edbro »

WTF? You mean the Adblock Plus 6 that I just installed is not the same?
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

edbro: Well I'm confused too, now . . . with all due respect to its author, who exactly is Wladimir Palant? Why is the extension size a mere 26k - 1/3 that of mcm's "AdBlock+?" Why is the only "link" to Wladimir Palant an email?

And so now we have AdBlock, AdBlock+, and AdBlock Plus? It's certainly not 0.5.11.2, and probably should be discussed in its OWN thread, if the author would "start" one.
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
foghorn

Post by foghorn »

I did test this Adblock Plus with new profile:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... hp?id=1865
And it's more like Official Adblock, but even that one has more features,
because Site Blocking and Whitelisting is missing, also Overlay Flash (CTRL+Shift+F) is missing and List all blockable-elements -page is different, you only have Firefox addressbar -like dropdown list.

And This* is only window you get with Right, Left or Middle mouse click(Adblock txt), or Tools > Adblock Plus.
Really there is no Tools > Adblock plus > Overlay Flash.
Or anything else, only Tools > Adblock Plus.

* Only options are:
Enable Adblock Plus
Object Tabs
Collabse Blocked Elements
Check Parent Links

Keep list sorted

Import filters
Export filters
Remove all filters

edit: Site whitelisting is there, you just add those @@http://... addresses in same list with everything else.
edbro

Post by edbro »

This is from the "official" Adblock Plus forum:
Quote = Wladimir Palant
"No, it is officially the next Adblock Plus version, the web site simply hasn't been updated yet."
and
"I'm sure Michael will change the web site and make an announcement soon."

This is all very confusing. This guy shows up with a new name and a new forum stating that this is the same program.

Forum is here:
http://p2.forumforfree.com/here-vp2007-adblockplus.html
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

Many thanks, foghorn & edbro. Seems strange to me. Anyway, if it's only 26k and has whitelisting, and Michael's "blessing," it's great for me since "its features" are exactly what I use and nothing more. This will be interesting, in terms of the "announcement."

Addendum: OK, checked links, uninstalled 0.5.11.2 (after archiving!), and installed this one.

1. Prefs jumped from 15k to 19k, can't see where. There are only 3 entries in about:config for AdBlock Plus .6.
2. There is nothing in this version to show what filters are being effective.
3. When new sidebar is called up, clicking on items contained therein do not "flash" on page to show where they are
4. No DIV support (which is fine with me, I never used it and think RIP was faster anyway)
5. The Filterset is double spaced to make it "easier" to read, but that may be where the 4k in Prefs difference is (list is in there twice?) I'll check that.

The interface is leaner and meaner (which I like) and of course it's 1/3 of raw .xpi size (I'll check poroperties of "expanded" extension folder and compare it wit the 76k _en version from mcm -- raw .xpi sizes are misleading. AdBlock+ from mcm expanded to 400k).
Last edited by paulfox on January 17th, 2006, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Not to start anything, but I'd like to see a post from either mcm or rue on this. Please speak up guys. As I don't know who this "new" guy is. Thanks
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

IceDogg: I PM'd you off the AdBlockPlus forum - and here's the link to the thread over THERE: (this will eliminate taking up space here)
http://p2.forumforfree.com/1-vt432-adbl ... sc&start=0

I installed this thing twice and my comments as to its performance start (I believe) on page2, so as not to take up space here repeating them. Frankly I don't believe they belong on this, "mcm's thread," anyway. I share(d) IceDogg's concerns, believe me. It's a little "outta nowhere."

Yes, I think mcm should weigh in soon (preferably here as well) and I've emailed him. This "newbie" version seems ok though - see the comments as I "proceeded through the steps."

Edited for missed wording
Last edited by paulfox on January 17th, 2006, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rue

Post by rue »

Here's what happened:
Wladimir tried to hijack the official Adblock project, demanding exclusive mozdev+AMO access -- or else he would "fork". After discussion with various people on our team, and at mozilla.org, it was decided to let him go. Really, he had only contributed to the project for a 2-month span, back in 2003.
Until last evening, when Wladimir told me, I had no idea he'd convinced mcm to hand-over Adblock Plus. Michael (mcm) previously mentioned he would be mostly offline until February, when he'll return with university-access; so he's probably out of the picture until then.
Wladimir definitely has his own ideas about where to take Adblock. And now, he has Plus project to play with. That's where things stand.
Last edited by rue on January 17th, 2006, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Rue, do you know for sure mcm has handed over adblock plus. He doesn't have control of the adblock plus site or forums as far as I can tell. That's the reason I ask if you are sure about that part. Could Michael just be away and unaware of this? Just trying to get to the bottom of it and understand. I'm not saying I don't believe, just making sure I got it all correct.
rue

Post by rue »

Ice:
Personally, I don't think Michael was aware what Wladimir had in mind -- pushing his own, existing fork, in the 'Plus' name. In any event, here's the quote Wladimir offered, from Michael:
Wladimir said mcm wrote:"At this stage since I'm taking a back seat I'm more then happy for you to take over Adblock Plus and release to AMO and list on mozdev"

Michael is indeed away, and said he was moving to a flat that didn't have easy internet-access; but added that he'd be back, in February. He mentioned it late last week.
Last edited by rue on January 17th, 2006, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Ok thanks Rue for the info.
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

So, let me get this straight: there are now 2 adblock plusses (and nothing that's just "adblock"). One is a complete rewrite with fewer features and the other problems paulfox noted. The other is the continued development of the build in this thread, mostly done by Rue.

Did I miss anything?
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
rue

Post by rue »

tolremeno:
Presently, I'm with the official, original <a href="http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html">Adblock project</a>, which is still in ongoing development. I actually added mcm to our team, just before he left. He will influence our future-builds.
As for Adblock Plus, yes- technically there are now two codebases. The first is mcm's original fork. The second, is Wladimir's new design.
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

I'll just nod my head, then.
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

Some comments from mcm back in August regarding "upcoming 0.6:"
http://p2.forumforfree.com/-vp195-adblockplus.html

This mentions uploading of Wladimir's extension on the trac-site for AdBlock (mcm):
https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/Adbloc ... ock%20plus