[Ext] Adblock Plus 0.5.11.4

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Zulithe

Post by Zulithe »

I like the idea of adblock coming with a default set of very basic filters which, even on their own, should block well over 50% of ads seen on the net. It seems that a lot of people install adblock thinking it will work automatically, and personally I think that it should if possible, so I say keep the filters.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

I like this idea too...

Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
Calain80

Post by Calain80 »

I also think it should have default filter.

I also know people that installed Adblock and then said, that it did not work, because no ads were blocked. They did not understand, that they did have to write the filters themselfs. ;)
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Feature Request:

I would like the option for blocked elements to leave a little image placeholder to represent something has been blocked. (perhaps they could only become visible when holding down control or something) This way you could easily click on it to show it just this one time if nessesary (to check out if it is an ad or the site's layout is just screwed) Perhaps even the ability to save it as a whitelist item, much like you would right click > adblock image. I think this would be great functionality!

Oh, and something else, the option to have whitelists and blacklists as seperate lists which don't directly interact. I hate having to carefully weed my whitelist whenever I want to install a newer version of G's Filterset
LordDeath

Post by LordDeath »

@TychoQuad: good ideas! it would be nice to see such thing in a future build of adblock :D
ChefChaudart

Post by ChefChaudart »

Why site blocking prevent me to access http://ftp.scarlet.be/pub/mozilla.org/f ... est-trunk/ ?
Do not forget Liu Xiaobo
FireManiac

Post by FireManiac »

The 0.5.7+ Button edition, only shows version 0.5.6 in the Extension manager. Was the button edition upgraded at all?
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

FireManiac wrote:The 0.5.7+ Button edition, only shows version 0.5.6 in the Extension manager. Was the button edition upgraded at all?

I had to uninstall 0.5.6 to get 0.5.7 to install properly, otherwise it kept showing as 0.5.6.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

FireManiac wrote:The 0.5.7+ Button edition, only shows version 0.5.6 in the Extension manager. Was the button edition upgraded at all?

See this post:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 72#1497572

Basically when I had to leave the overlay file in for the specified reasons I forgot to bump the number in that overlay file. Thanks for the info.

ChefChaudart wrote:Why site blocking prevent me to access http://ftp.scarlet.be/pub/mozilla.org/f ... est-trunk/ ?

Because one of your filters matches the url of that site and you have site blocking enabled. I've updated the development builds linked on the first post so the alert box will now mention what filter it is. Try installing them and edit that filter accordingly or disable site blocking under Adblock's options.
ChefChaudart

Post by ChefChaudart »

mcm_ham wrote:
ChefChaudart wrote:Why site blocking prevent me to access http://ftp.scarlet.be/pub/mozilla.org/f ... est-trunk/ ?

Because one of your filters matches the url of that site and you have site blocking enabled. I've updated the development builds linked on the first post so the alert box will now mention what filter it is. Try installing them and edit that filter accordingly or disable site blocking under Adblock's options.

I just tried, and it is blocked by filter /\/pub\/(?:\n)?/i which I do not see anywhere in my list ? ? ? Strange ?
Do not forget Liu Xiaobo
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Try the developer builds linked on the first post again, I forgot Adblock converts simple expressions into Regexp first.
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

mcm_ham, PLEASE include the option of disabling DIV blocking. This is becoming quite a problem for me. I'm not sure if the designers are catching on to AdBlock and doing this intentionally, or if it's just poor Web design, but either way, I'm having the same collapsing/dissapearing text issue that the other guy was having with betanews, ign, and also neowin.

Thanks in advance.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

It is the same filter from G's filterset that is causing the problems on ign as it is on betanews. However, I can't find any examples on neowin. Unfortunately G is unwilling to correct his filterset because Adblock Plus is unofficial.

My advice is still the same which is to alter the mentioned filter. However, if you grab the development builds on the first post, I have added a preference to disable DIV checking. Type about:config into the location bar and set adblock.divcheck to false. If people can provide a couple of other filters of G's that causes problems with DIV checking enabled or think of another good reason why someone would want to disable it, then I will provide an option through the GUI.

:EDIT
As an experiment any DIV sections named intelliTxt are now skipped so the dev builds will no longer have problems on those sites with DIV checking enabled. Please report any other sites that have trouble with G's filterset.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Just updated the developer builds again to add site whitelisting. People have been asking for the ability to whitelist all ads on a site instead of on a per ad basis. This is now an option under the menu.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

mcm_ham: I don't suppose you could comment on my feature request written above, what you think of it, and chances of any of it being implimented?