[Ext] Adblock Plus 0.5.11.4

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Why you keep posting here when you have another thread for 6.x?
VinDSL
Location: Location: Arizona (USA) Site Admin: Disipal Site Site Admin: Nuke Cops Site Admin: Lenon.com

Post by VinDSL »

DonGato wrote:Why you keep posting here when you have another thread for 6.x?

Friends don't let friends drive drunk! Pass it on... ;)

Besides, the writing is on the wall, my friend...

mcm_ham wrote:The story is this, I have been invited to join the original Adblock project which I've accepted... Wladimir as you've guessed from the posts earlier in this thread has also been in talks with rue and other Adblock developers and wanted to take Adblock down a more fast lightweight approach so is breaking away with a new version (now called Adblock Plus 0.6)...

mcm_ham wrote:Actually a couple of things I have been debating on the pros and cons with Wladimir and would like comment on is this:

Do people think the name of the new Adblock Plus version should be renamed...?
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

And that what had to do with what I asked?
This is 0.5.11.2 support/development thread.
You have 0.6.x release thread for all you blabbering.
Ðårkeñ®

Post by Ðårkeñ® »

DonGato wrote:This is 0.5.11.2 support/development thread.
You have 0.6.x release thread for all you blabbering.

+1
See ya, Darken
VinDSL
Location: Location: Arizona (USA) Site Admin: Disipal Site Site Admin: Nuke Cops Site Admin: Lenon.com

Post by VinDSL »

LoL! mcm_ham asked, in THIS thread, if the *new* Adblock Plus version should be renamed. I should answer him in another thread?!?!?!?

Instead of suggesting names for the *new* Adblock, how about if he renames the *old* one Adblock Orphan instead? That way we can stay on topic... :)
periferral

0.5 vs 0.6

Post by periferral »

I guess since 0.6 is moving forward with the real development, why isnt there a consensus to make adblock 0.6 feature parity with 0.5. While 0.6 does the job, there are options in 0.5 that make it more useful to use.
For example
1. An option to not show Adblock under Tools. With so many extensions, and each one putting itself up there, managability becomes a mess

2. An option for the location of Adblock on the statusbar.

3. Icon instead of text for Adblock. Space on statusbar is a premium and the lesser space occupied by extensions, the better.

4. Single click on Adblock shows existing filter on 0.6. However in 0.5 it showed what could be blocked on the page. Frankly, thats what is more important. When I'm on a page and I click on Adblock, I dont want to see what is already blocked but what can be blocked.

5. 0.6 uses a sidebar to show blockable items. While this is good, I prefer the dialog window as in 0.5. Also, The text is black for unblocked and gray for blocked I think. This is really hard to distinguish. Maybe red and black/green are better colors to go with.

my 2c. thanks
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

< is not and has never been a fan of sidebars.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
Peng

Re: 0.5 vs 0.6

Post by Peng »

periferral wrote:I guess since 0.6 is moving forward with the real development, why isnt there a consensus to make adblock 0.6 feature parity with 0.5. While 0.6 does the job, there are options in 0.5 that make it more useful to use.

Because Wladimir doesn't like some of the features and some of them were buggy and didn't work well and weren't frequently used.

periferral wrote:1. An option to not show Adblock under Tools. With so many extensions, and each one putting itself up there, managability becomes a mess

That would be nice, but for the moment you can use Menu Editor.

periferral wrote:2. An option for the location of Adblock on the statusbar.

See the FAQ. Use Organize Status Bar.

periferral wrote:3. Icon instead of text for Adblock. Space on statusbar is a premium and the lesser space occupied by extensions, the better.

Mm-hmm. That would be nice.

periferral wrote:4. Single click on Adblock shows existing filter on 0.6. However in 0.5 it showed what could be blocked on the page. Frankly, thats what is more important. When I'm on a page and I click on Adblock, I dont want to see what is already blocked but what can be blocked.

You use the drop-down next to the New filter box to see what can be blocked on the current page. But yes, that needs to be improved.

periferral wrote:5. 0.6 uses a sidebar to show blockable items. While this is good, I prefer the dialog window as in 0.5. Also, The text is black for unblocked and gray for blocked I think. This is really hard to distinguish. Maybe red and black/green are better colors to go with.

In one of the next versions, you'll be able to 'detach' the sidebar into a new window.

periferral wrote:my 2c. thanks

More like five or ten cents. :P

Since this is all related to Adblock Plus 0.6, you should've put it in the 0.6 thread. :\
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
mozillaphile

Post by mozillaphile »

mcm_ham wrote:

Do poeple think the name of the new Adblock Plus version should be renamed to Adblock Lite since that fits better to where Wladimir is aiming his version a clean, fast, lightweight version. Or will this add to the confusion.

The name definitely needs to be changed unless "Adblock Plus" is orphaned by MCM to the extent of termination. By all means Adblock Plus 0.6x, as it stands now, is a lighter version of the original Adblock Plus 0.5x ). This one can be called "Adblock Plus Lite" instead since it removed some of the organization features that the original PLUS offered. For example, an option to not show Adblock under Tools menu, an option to show a compact icon instead of a wide text on the status bar (space is premium), an option to support websites (by downloading the ads but not displaying them onscreen), better organization of whitelists and support lists (separate lists for Whitelisted Sites and "Supported" websites), etc. If Wladimir Palant believes that his way of GUID will eventually lead to better performance, then he may call his version "Adblock Streamlined" or "Adblock Enhanced" instead to stave off the confusing nomenclature. Thanks MCM for asking.
max1million

Post by max1million »

Palant says he's sticking with the Plus, no debate. mcm_ham and rue are working on adblock a few words and some more
Both Adblock Plus 0.6 and Adblock are on addons.mozilla.org/ but if you still want the other Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2
ratchet

Having a particular hard time blocking...

Post by ratchet »

http://geo.precisionclick.com-http//ser ... om-Mozilla Firefox at Rivals.com message board.

Where should I put *? Thank You!
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

Try *.precisionclick.com
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

XerBlade wrote:Try *.precisionclick.com

As far as I can tell, it's usually redundant to put a star at the beginning or the end of a filter.
.precisionclick.com should be sufficient.
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

Or just add it to the all-time best "clickbuster" that is probably the 4th most effective filter for me . . .
/[\W](cible|com|double|fast|inter|precision|value)click[\W]/

I tested mine on that site by the way, and it works. Think I'll keep as permanent addition - thanks for the find, ratchet! Didn't realize there was a "new click."
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
ratchet

Post by ratchet »

Thank you paulfox, it is a nasty one!