[Ext] Adblock Plus 0.5.11.4

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

El_Matzo wrote:Now it's clear and the issues I posted with the site (and other sites I haven't posted [all using IntelliTXT]) have disappeared.
Thank you for this great product! I'm on the hunt for other issues now just to freak you out. :D ;) (even though I guess I'll hardly find any.) :)

Glad you're sorted. You don't have to thank me entirely for Adblock, I've just been hacking the official version and learning a little about how extensions integrate into Firefox in the process.
rtilson

scrollbars "flash"

Post by rtilson »

Using Adblock Plus 0.5.7+ and Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b2) Gecko/20050609 Firefox/1.0+ ID:2005060916. Go to i.e. my.yahoo.com. Select "View blockable items". The scrollbars flash up/down, right/left as the selected blockable item is highlighted in the web page. Extremely annoying.
Sometimes I go off into my own little world. But that's ok, they know me there.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

I've noticed that before and I've also experienced it with the official version of Adblock as well. I'll have a look at it but I can't remember if I experienced on Firefox 1.0.4 could be a bug in Firefox. It doesn't look that easy to fix though :(
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Just letting everyone know that support for hiding ads on a site by site basis has been added to the developer builds. I don't plan on adding any more new features to Adblock Plus in the future and will instead focus on fixing the remaining bugs.
aaron

Post by aaron »

I'd like to see this fixed: when you have "remove" selected, it will collapse blocked elements, but "hide" doesn't seem to do this for me... (use www.zeropaid.com as a testcase, with the default filters).

Got an email this weekend -- someone saw the Adblock page on my website (http://www.spuler.us/extensions/adblock.htm)

Hi Aaron. I run a fairly large website. I do not use popups/popunders. Just normal ads right on the site.

I just wanted to thank you for your work trying to eliminate my revenue stream. I use a dedicated server and spend hundreds a month, and the one way I make the money back is from ads. I wanted to let you know that I appreciate you doing all you can to help make it so that ads do not show on my site and my income drops. I definitely appreciate it.

If you ever happen to start your own business, please be sure to let me know if there's anything I can do to help you make less money.

Cheers
dk70

Post by dk70 »

Heh, whatever the arguments, whatever site - he wants to force your eyes. Actually not very polite, his mail obviously isnt. So his business model tells him to force you - so? Die site, die. You have the right to speak, I can chose not to listen etc. etc.

Having said that latest Ad-Block version is brilliant and I sure dont mind hiding ads on sites I want to support. Like those with "integrated" ads not making me dizzy. Couldnt care less. Last 2 weeks Ive been without Ad-block, has been hell. Im mostly into tech-sites, computers and many of them feels almost like optical illusions. Whole layout is based on and circles around ads - in bad cases even hard to navigate site! if they have problem with people shutting it off I think they should close shop. If only they could control themself problem wouldnt be so annoying. Ads as such not real problem I think, screaming sites are.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

aaron wrote:Got an email this weekend -- someone saw the Adblock page on my website (http://www.spuler.us/extensions/adblock.htm)

It's great how these people are running businesses and yet can come out with such rubbish. Yes, clearly Adblock is the only way to block ads in the history of the Internet and the fact that it exists is purely malicious - not at all because there's demand for it.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

aaron wrote:I'd like to see this fixed: when you have "remove" selected, it will collapse blocked elements, but "hide" doesn't seem to do this for me... (use www.zeropaid.com as a testcase, with the default filters).

Adblock seems to be intentionally not collapsing ads when hidden, I'll have to figure out why.

Anyway I've just updated the developer builds to combine all three versions into one. I've shifted the hide ads option into the options menu now. Where it used to be is now where you can choose which version of Adblock you want.

---------
Note I had some problems with the button version in this new setup. At the moment you will see it appear in the customize toolbar palette even under the icon or text version. However, if you drag it to the toolbar upon restart it will disappear like its meant to.
Last edited by mcm_ham on June 17th, 2005, 3:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

mcm_ham: how do you do the hiding ads on a per site basis? I have read both this and the forums on mozilla and your home site for adblock plus, but I can't find how do to this anywhere. I'm sorry If I just overlooking it and Thanks for you time.

This is from another forum but I thought I'd post it here too, so more could see the answer. thanks.
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Post by MeCasa »

Thanks for all the good work ;-)
Sex is dirty only if it's done right .... Live and Let Live .... Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
...................................................... MeCasaEsSuCasa ................................................
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

IceDogg, I've moved the Hide ads option to "Adblock Options" menu and renamed it to "Support Websites..."
El_Matzo

Post by El_Matzo »

It seems to me that with the latest test build, the icon, text or button works only if you have installed exactly that version before.
What I noticed installing this build is: I had the icon one before. But now I thought, let's try out text again (wanted to look if it works just like in original adblock). I switched to it in the options menu and the only thing that happened was that my icon disappeared (not sure if it only happened after restart). So I tried to switch to icon again. After a restart it worked. Then, I wanted to switch to button, just for testing purposes, again nothing showed up, only the icon disappeared, even after a restart nothing happened. :)
I hope that helps somehow. :)
Also, "help" at options could be updated, because it's getting a little confusing now, especially with the translation, what is meant exactly marking an option.
Only one short sentence would be enough there, thx. :)

Thank you for hacking AdBlock. :D
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Thanks mcm_ham , I always feel stupid after someone tells me (like now) but I couldn't find it anywhere. Great work!
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

El_Matzo, I'm not sure why you are having problems with the text / icon parts but there a few remaining issues with the button. For the button version you need to customize the toolbar via "View->Toolbar->Customize" and drag the adblock icon onto the toolbar at the top. Unfortunately that's one of the bugs, its invisible in the palette until you drag it onto the toolbar and restart Firefox.

El_Matzo wrote:Also, "help" at options could be updated, because it's getting a little confusing now, especially with the translation, what is meant exactly by 'marking an option'.

You might want to [Pri. Msg.] me about this, where abouts are you talking about and what translation.

IceDogg, it was a fair enough question, I wouldn't have found it either if I was looking for a "Hide Ads" option. The reason for the name change is because over at the Adblock Forums I've seen a number of people making a feature request to download ads and hide them instead of blocking them at the source to support the website. Not realising, that is exactly what hide/remove ads did.
tronicum

Feature Request: Obj. Tabs Whitelisting

Post by tronicum »

Hi,
I have used the "original" adblock for a while and switched to AdBlock+ for the ease of use (sycronize filter/whitelists). But there is still a small problem I have with our Intranet Software called "Livelink". If I have Obj.Tabs enabled, the javascript/java stuff gets confused.

I would love to have a option like "disable Obj. Tabs if site ist whitelisted". Another way to implement could mean another prefix like @@ (@²³) or some string that defines an Obj. Tab Whitlisted Website.

Rergards,
tronicum

P.S. I don't have to mention that I love AdBlock and the features that AdBlock+ extends! Great work mcm_ham & adblock team!
Does the orginal AdBlock team code stuff at the moment anyway?