Announcing "All Tabs Helper"

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Kevin Jones

Re: Announcing "All Tabs Helper"

Post by Kevin Jones »

rayquaza88 wrote:Sorry for posting it here but I cant find the thread for tabs group helper. I was wondering if you could make it possible to move tabs in bulk from "Window 2" "group 1" to "Window 1" "group 2" maybe you could make the add-on compatible with multiple tab handler or make the manage group window include groups from other windows or something. Also would be nice to have the option to display the tab groups bar under the navigation bar if possible and make an option for the TGH button to show/hide tab groups bar instead of group manager.

Thanks a lot for creating the add-on and maintaining it.

EDIT: I noticed a bug. Moving bunch of tabs from window 2 current group to window 1 current group causes the new moved tabs to not display on the group manager ( Ex group 1 w1 has 100 tabs g1 W2 has 3 tabs I move those 30 tabs to G1W1 now that group has 130 tabs. I open the group manager to move those 30 tabs to a new group and the manager and the tab list on the tab group bar only shows the first 100 original tabs It doesn't show the new 30 tabs that were moved.
Hi Ray,

Short answer is, TGH does not support cross-window operations. AFAIK, neither does Tab Groups addon (on which TGH depends for its backend).

Please use the support email address on the Tab Groups Helper addon page for further TGH issue discussion.

Thank you,
Allasso
avada

Post by avada »

Hi Allasso!

There's an small, but annoying bug with ATH 0.2.32. I can't select a range just with shift+click. I have to click with ctrl+click first and select an item. (downgrading fixes the issue.)
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

avada wrote:Hi Allasso!

There's an small, but annoying bug with ATH 0.2.32. I can't select a range just with shift+click. I have to click with ctrl+click first and select an item. (downgrading fixes the issue.)
By golly you're right. I'll look into it. Thanks
rayquaza88

Post by rayquaza88 »

Could you add an option to show the number of the tab next to it on the alltabs menu?
avada

Post by avada »

Allasso wrote:

Hi!

Any progress on this? Even a beta/dev build would be nice.
I'd like the new features, but not with this bug.
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

avada wrote:
Allasso wrote:

Hi!

Any progress on this? Even a beta/dev build would be nice.
I'd like the new features, but not with this bug.
At this point it does not appear this is a trivial fix with the new API. As I am not viewing this as a bug, but a feature regression (and a very minor one at that - I have no problem with clicking `ctrl` instead of `shift` to start things off), it is something that I will address only if I am addressing other things in that area of the code.

Unfortunately addon development is a "spare time" endeavor for me, a commodity I don't always have much of.
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

ANNOUNCEMENT:

I will be closing this thread as a means of support access. Users can continue to contact me through the "Support Email" link posted in the All Tabs Helper listing page for support regarding critical bugs.

I would also like to note that the current shift that Mozilla is doing in deprecating XUL-based addons (on which ATH is heavily dependent) may portend the extinction of ATH. 1) I really don't think I have the energy to completely re-invent ATH from scratch in order to try to come up with a substitute in a more restrictive environment (WebExtensions) 2) Even if I did attempt that, I don't believe that I could ever approach the robustness of the UI due to the restrictiveness of WebExtensions anyway (at least not until WebExtensions becomes far more advanced than it is which could be quite some time - if ever) and the result would be a dissapointingly diminished product.

Firefox addon development was once something that was fun for me (and other developers) because devs had access to core APIs and had much freedom to innovate with truly creative UIs. It appears the fun of that is coming to an end.

Because of all of this, I doubt I will be putting much (if any) energy into feature upgrades and even trivial bug fixes.
avada

Post by avada »

Kevin Jones wrote:Because of all of this, I doubt I will be putting much (if any) energy into feature upgrades and even trivial bug fixes.
Well, a fix for the afore discussed shit+click bug would be nice though. (no matter how hacky) So that I could stop blocking updates for ATH and get updates if there's any. To me selecting multiple tabs (and closing them) is the most used feature by a large margin, so anything that disrupts that is fairly painful.

PS:
I think some might be confused by the name change since you didn't announce it in this thread.
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

avada wrote:Well, a fix for the afore discussed shift+click bug would be nice though. (no matter how hacky) So that I could stop blocking updates for ATH and get updates if there's any. To me selecting multiple tabs (and closing them) is the most used feature by a large margin, so anything that disrupts that is fairly painful
Is it really that painful to press `ctrl` instead of `shift`?
Last edited by Kevin Jones on November 14th, 2016, 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Jones

Post by Kevin Jones »

Kevin Jones wrote:
avada wrote:Well, a fix for the afore discussed shift+click bug would be nice though. (no matter how hacky) So that I could stop blocking updates for ATH and get updates if there's any. To me selecting multiple tabs (and closing them) is the most used feature by a large margin, so anything that disrupts that is fairly painful
Is it really that painful to press `ctrl` instead of `shift`?
You do realize that you only have to ctrl-click on the first item to start things off, then shift-click to select a block of items, right? ie, you can still select multiple items.
avada

Post by avada »

Kevin Jones wrote: Is it really that painful to press `ctrl` instead of `shift`?
Fairly. If it's in the "muscle memory" to select multiple items with shift and single items (which is reinforced by other apps, ), it can be quite annoying if it works differently, more so that I need to alternate between the two.
Kevin Jones wrote: You do realize that you only have to ctrl-click on the first item to start things off, then shift-click to select a block of items, right? ie, you can still select multiple items.
Yep.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Locking this at the OP's request.
Please note the contact details he posted, ^^^^^, re; any problems encountered.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)