[Ext] Duplicate Tabs Closer (3.1.10)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
stevek123

Re: [Ext] Duplicate Tabs Closer (2.2.5)

Post by stevek123 »

Now that the app is a WebExtension, is there any chance to put up a compatible version to the Chrome webstore? I would love to use it there as well. There is no real alternative for this awesome extension :)
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

I filed a bug to fix the issue on Android: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1402640
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

sabret00the wrote:I filed a bug to fix the issue on Android: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1402640
Thanks. I've read that I need to make some changes to support Android (mostly for UI reason). I'll look at it just after the next release.
TitanNano wrote:Two things:

1. can you add a scope for Tab containers? I don't want the addon to close tabs from a different container.

2. did you consider putting the source on something like GitHub? I would be happy to contribute and I think bug tracking would be more structured.
1 - No problem. I've found how to do it. I'll look at it after the next release.
2 - Yes sure, after the next release.
stevek123 wrote:Now that the app is a WebExtension, is there any chance to put up a compatible version to the Chrome webstore? I would love to use it there as well. There is no real alternative for this awesome extension :)
It should work on chrome wihout too much modifications. I'll look at it just after the next release.

I'm working on a new version (as you may have noticed :)) because I'm not really happy with the webextension performance and so I try another way to catch the duplicate tabs.
I keep you informed.
andrew13

Post by andrew13 »

addons.mozilla.org comment:
Shows the wrong number of duplicates.
More than really, even if real quantity of duplicates = 0
Perhaps it's conflict with "Tree Style Tab" or "BarTab Plus".
my FF version - 55.0.3 (x64)

UPD:
Also, "Duplicate Tabs Closer" close some NOT-duplicate tabs.
I found how this conflict appears - when I use the "Unload" option of "BarTab Plus",
"Duplicate Tabs Closer" defines the unloaded tabs as duplicates for some reason.

Tree Style Tab
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... 2017090601

BarTab Plus
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/bartab-plus/
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

andrew13 wrote:addons.mozilla.org comment:
Shows the wrong number of duplicates.
More than really, even if real quantity of duplicates = 0
Perhaps it's conflict with "Tree Style Tab" or "BarTab Plus".
my FF version - 55.0.3 (x64)

UPD:
Also, "Duplicate Tabs Closer" close some NOT-duplicate tabs.
I found how this conflict appears - when I use the "Unload" option of "BarTab Plus",
"Duplicate Tabs Closer" defines the unloaded tabs as duplicates for some reason.

Tree Style Tab
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... 2017090601

BarTab Plus
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/bartab-plus/
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look at the problem.
shibasareanonymos

Post by shibasareanonymos »

Hello peuj, your extension was working perfectly until recently. I'm experiencing an identical issue to andrew13, and I have concluded that BarTab https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bartab/ is causing the conflict. When I "unload" a tab using BarTab the duplicate tabs counter instantly increases, despite there not being duplicate tabs. Going to filters, checking " ignore hash part of url " temporarily resets the duplicate tab counter, but once more tabs are "unloaded" the issue persists.

Something very important I noticed, is the bug only happens when you have multiple tabs from the same website, no matter if they are a duplicate or not, if I have two different tabs from the same site, the extension believes it is a duplicate. I could not fix this issue permanently with any of the filter options as such I believe it is simply some sort of conflict with how BarTab names "unloaded" tabs.

Thank you for your continuous support on this incredibly useful extension thus far, and I look forward to having my duplicate tabs automatically closed once again.
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

Peuj wrote:I'm working on a new version (as you may have noticed :)) because I'm not really happy with the webextension performance and so I try another way to catch the duplicate tabs.
I keep you informed.
I had no idea the performance wasn't up to scratch. DTC has been working fabulously for me.
BorgInvasionReturns

Post by BorgInvasionReturns »

Does anyone have an issue where the Duplicate Tabs Closer 3.0.0 icon does not show the tabs that can be closed? I am on Firefox ESR 52.4.0 64b because other addons I need like Tab Kit 2 and Form Filler do not work on Firefox 56.0 (and because of a mistake, I had to type all this again since I can not use my form filler on that Firefox where I am posting from).
For me, the icon shows the number of tabs duplicated, but when I click it only the OPTIONS is clickable. Not the DUPLICATE TABS button to view the tabs, nor the CLOSE ALL DUPLICATED TABS (not that I want to) because hovering over it the cursor turns into a stop sign.
Thanks.
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

About the BarTab issue:

BarTab Plus https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/bartab-plus/ or BarTab https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bartab/

Sadly there is nothing I can do. The webextension API doesn't react very well with the tab manipulations done in the background.
I'll create bug for the webextension team but don't expect too much as these add-ons will not be supported soon.
sabret00the wrote:I had no idea the performance wasn't up to scratch. DTC has been working fabulously for me.
Because you don't see what happens behind the wall :)
Also there are some bugs in the webextension API and so the code needs adaptations.
BorgInvasionReturns wrote:Does anyone have an issue where the Duplicate Tabs Closer 3.0.0 icon does not show the tabs that can be closed? I am on Firefox ESR 52.4.0 64b because other addons I need like Tab Kit 2 and Form Filler do not work on Firefox 56.0 (and because of a mistake, I had to type all this again since I can not use my form filler on that Firefox where I am posting from).
For me, the icon shows the number of tabs duplicated, but when I click it only the OPTIONS is clickable. Not the DUPLICATE TABS button to view the tabs, nor the CLOSE ALL DUPLICATED TABS (not that I want to) because hovering over it the cursor turns into a stop sign.
Thanks.
Maybe there is a conflict with another extension.
Also note that the webextension API (used by the add-on) may have bugs in the Firefox ESR 52.4.0 64b which have been fixed in a newer version.

If the icon shows the number of tabs duplicated but you don't see duplicated tabs listed, this can happen for two reasons:
1 - The number of tabs duplicated is wrong. (probably because of a conflict with another extension). You can refresh the duplicate tabs information by changing options in the filter section.
2 - There is an issue during the load of the listed tabs.

You can look in the Firefox console (Ctrl+Shift+j) to see if there are errors related to Duplicate Tabs Closer.

I'll push the new version very soon.
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

Sir/Ma'am, I need this but I found no options click. Last I heard it required a key combo but there used to be some add-on which closed them automatically if you set the option correctly.
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

walkerpbus wrote:Sir/Ma'am, I need this but I found no options click. Last I heard it required a key combo but there used to be some add-on which closed them automatically if you set the option correctly.
Sorry I didn't understand what you miss. Can you give more details?

Thanks
tekko

Post by tekko »

ver 3.0.0 doesn't show the check boxes on Firefox ESR v52.4 in xp mode (windows classic theme)
If I click that spot, it still has the effect to turn it on/off. But no boxes or check marks are showing. It's all plain white in front. I went back to v2.2.5 and they show again.

To test...
choose a bookmark folder, and select "open all in tabs". Normally you should see all tabs.
Now click the spot in front of "compare with tab title" (where the checkbox should be), you'll see no difference since it's plain white.
Do the same thing and select "open all in tabs", all tabs will be close. To revert the effect, click that spot again.

Thanks.
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

tekko wrote:ver 3.0.0 doesn't show the check boxes on Firefox ESR v52.4 in xp mode (windows classic theme)
If I click that spot, it still has the effect to turn it on/off. But no boxes or check marks are showing. It's all plain white in front. I went back to v2.2.5 and they show again.

To test...
choose a bookmark folder, and select "open all in tabs". Normally you should see all tabs.
Now click the spot in front of "compare with tab title" (where the checkbox should be), you'll see no difference since it's plain white.
Do the same thing and select "open all in tabs", all tabs will be close. To revert the effect, click that spot again.

Thanks.
Thanks for the report! It's fixed in the new version.
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

Hi,

Version 3.1.0 released:

* Optimize duplicate tabs detection
* Fix: Display issue in the popup panel with Firefox ESR v52.4
* New: added Priority option "Keep pinned tab"
* New: added Scope "Container"
* New: added Hotkey "Alt+Shift+W" to close all duplicate tabs (will be configurable in next version)

I'll work on Android and Chrome compatibility for the next release and then I'll work on white-list and black-list

Note:
As already mentioned in a previous post the issue with BarTab (Plus) cannot be fixed.
The problem happens at the Webextension API level (which doesn't see the unloaded tabs).

Thanks
BorgInvasionReturns

Re: [Ext] Duplicate Tabs Closer (3.1.0)

Post by BorgInvasionReturns »

It was updated for me today.
So far, so good. It is working normally again on Firefox 56.0.2 (64b).
I also have BarTab Heavy and everything was fine until the beginning of October and after some days I posted my comment. It all seems good right now. No more constant duplicates, and I can now see what are duplicates.
Thank you.

Hope I did not jinx myself.