[Ext] Duplicate Tabs Closer (3.1.10)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
kennerr

Re: [Ext] Duplicate Tabs Closer (1.1.3.2)

Post by kennerr »

Is it possible to detect the following URLs as duplicates?

Tab 1: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2891237&p=13894391#p13894391

Tab 2: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2891237

Thanks for your advice!
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

Hi,

walkerpbus wrote:How do I set the options? I don't think I changed any.

Providing a "white list" is on my to-do list.

kennerr wrote:Is it possible to detect the following URLs as duplicates?

Tab 1: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2891237&p=13894391#p13894391

Tab 2: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2891237

Thanks for your advice!

If you check the "Ignore search part in URL" option it will do what you want.
...but a tab with this URL viewtopic.php it will also be considered as a duplicate tab.

I will see if I can provide another kind of option in the next release.
kennerr

Post by kennerr »

Hi Peuj,

Thanks very much for your reply. Looking forward to the next release. :)
hmijail

Post by hmijail »

Interesting extension. But I would prefer a feature like what nick222 suggested: instead of closing new duplicate tabs, open them but label them in some way (icon, bold, color, whatever).

Apart from that, thanks for your work :).
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

hmijail wrote:Interesting extension. But I would prefer a feature like what nick222 suggested: instead of closing new duplicate tabs, open them but label them in some way (icon, bold, color, whatever).

Apart from that, thanks for your work :).

Thanks for the comment.

This feature idea is indeed interesting but my problem is to find the good way to highlight the duplicate tabs.
There are already add-ons which change the color, the style of the tabs for different reasons (highlight the active tab for example).
Add an icon on the tab can work but this is also used by other add-ons.
And "Whatever" doesn't work well also. ;)

This feature should highlight duplicate tabs but also show which are the tabs with the same URL.
This could be done by using different colors but again as the color is used by other add-ons this can be problematic.

Any comments, suggestions are welcomed.
Peuj

Re: [Ext] Duplicate Tabs Closer (1.2.0.0)

Post by Peuj »

Hi,

Version 1.2.0.0 released:

* Multiple bug fixes and optimizations
* New: icon button
* New: added a badge on button to display the number of duplicated tabs
* New: french localization

Note 1: Other features are planned (like show duplicated tabs, ...) but first I'll have to focus on the Electrolysis (e10s) change coming.

Note 2: The badge button may not be well aligned on not Windows platform. Please let me know with a screenshot if it's the case, thanks.
yfdyh000

Post by yfdyh000 »

About the new badge on button begin 1.2.0.0, this background-color is a bit strange to me personally, not a pleasant color.
I feel the 0.5 changed to 0.0 (white, understated but still recognizable) or 1.0 (no transparency, a clear orange) is acceptable.
And, if the badge value is 0, the background-color should be white or else to reducing attract attention.

Also, I think the badge should can be clicked, otherwise it is reducing the usability.

Ref: style="visibility: visible; padding: 0px 3px; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 12px; font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; color: White; border-radius: 3px; background-color: rgba(255, 165, 0, 0.5);"
yfdyh000

Post by yfdyh000 »

Peuj

Post by Peuj »

yfdyh000 wrote:About the new badge on button begin 1.2.0.0, this background-color is a bit strange to me personally, not a pleasant color.
I feel the 0.5 changed to 0.0 (white, understated but still recognizable) or 1.0 (no transparency, a clear orange) is acceptable.

Thanks for the feedback!
I've made some tests and I don't like the white (0.0) and with the full orange (1.0) I miss the transparency. Maybe something like 0.7 can be a good compromise ? :)

yfdyh000 wrote:And, if the badge value is 0, the background-color should be white or else to reducing attract attention.

I understand the idea, I'll look at it.

yfdyh000 wrote:Also, I think the badge should can be clicked, otherwise it is reducing the usability.

You're right, I'm working on it.

yfdyh000 wrote:And, please take care for l10n (http://www.babelzilla.org/index.php?opt ... nsion=5726).

It's on going also but there was something wrong during the upload and I need to do some modifications.
yfdyh000

Post by yfdyh000 »

Peuj wrote:I've made some tests and I don't like the white (0.0) and with the full orange (1.0) I miss the transparency. Maybe something like 0.7 can be a good compromise ? :)

I tried 0.7, but I don't like it, this is a faint yellow. I can't understand why the need transparency, a little and fuzzy badge.

I think I found the root of disagree, I uses the "Puzzle Toolbars" add-on, and I place the toolbutton into address bar, the badge cover the little icon.
If the toolbutton be placed in the general toolbar, I think I can accept the badge color (0.5) because it on right corner.

Feel free to care or skip this particular environment. :)
mozizine

Post by mozizine »

Hi,

Is there an easy way to hide "icon button" from address bar? (I am using Duplicate Tabs Closer 1.2.0.0 in Firefox 36.0.4)
I don't like having icons in my address bar and so usually hide them or just drag them to 'Additional Tools and Features' using Customize... Duplicate Tab Closer icon reappear with every restart of Firefox.

Could you point me to any hack which allows me to hide the icon permanently?

Thanks for considerations.
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

mozizine wrote:Hi,

Is there an easy way to hide "icon button" from address bar? (I am using Duplicate Tabs Closer 1.2.0.0 in Firefox 36.0.4)...

Hi,

There is no way for the moment.
I'm currently working on the button so I will look at your problem at the same time.

Thanks
reviewer

Post by reviewer »

This addon's button disappears every time I restore a session with Session Manager (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324/).

After install the button defaults to my toolbar, I drag it down to my addon bar instead ( i have addon bar restored https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... addon-bar/). But if I restore a session with Session Manager the button is back to my toolbar, and upon a restart completely disappears from both toolbar and addon bar. I can not even add it back with customize. The only way to get it back is to restore a session so it defaults back to the toolbar, then drag it back down to addon bar then next restart it will be on addon bar.

This does not happen if i restore a session with a fresh firefox window. It only happens when i have tabs open in firefox, then restore a session, it opens another firefox window with the session tabs and forces the button to default back onto the toolbar.

Can you fix this please?

Thank you for this very useful addon!
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

reviewer wrote:This addon's button disappears every time I restore a session with Session Manager (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324/).

After install the button defaults to my toolbar, I drag it down to my addon bar instead ( i have addon bar restored https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... addon-bar/). But if I restore a session with Session Manager the button is back to my toolbar, and upon a restart completely disappears from both toolbar and addon bar. I can not even add it back with customize. The only way to get it back is to restore a session so it defaults back to the toolbar, then drag it back down to addon bar then next restart it will be on addon bar.

This does not happen if i restore a session with a fresh firefox window. It only happens when i have tabs open in firefox, then restore a session, it opens another firefox window with the session tabs and forces the button to default back onto the toolbar.

Can you fix this please?

Thank you for this very useful addon!

Hi,

I'm working on the button and I'll try to solve this problem.

Thanks for the report.
doctorcolossus

Post by doctorcolossus »

Hi. I have a small issue:

I use "about:blank" as my homepage and new tab page.
I often launch a search in one tab, then quickly open a new tab in order to open some other page or start a second search while the first one is loading.
Since the first page has not finished loading yet, its URL is still technically about:blank.
Therefore, my second tab is automatically closed.

One way to solve this problem would be to implement a user-defined URL blacklist.
Then I could simply input 'about:blank'.

Another possible solution would be to hardcode-blacklist 'about:blank' or whatever the user-configured new tab page is (browser.newtab.url). I think that would annoy many users who would prefer not to have more than one blank tab open though.

Actually, I wouldn't like to have multiple blank tabs open either. A third solution might be to wait for tabs to finish loading before checking their URL. However, that would be a waste of time and bandwidth in most cases. So maybe this could be done only for tabs with the new tab URL.

It's more complicated than I thought. Or maybe I'm just too tired to think of an elegant solution. :wink:

In any case, the current behavior is really irritating for me, as it prevents me from multitasking while waiting for a page to load. Please brainstorm with me, and let's try to think of the best way to fix that.

Thank you very much for this extension, and for your time and attention.