[Ext] Duplicate Tabs Closer (3.1.10)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Peuj

Re: [Ext] Duplicate Tabs Closer (1.1.0.0)

Post by Peuj »

@Greg K Nicholson, I've found and fix the problem. I'm testing a little more and push a new version soon.
fallmq

Post by fallmq »

Bug report:
"Multi-Row" of Tab Mix Plus be changed to single row after close tab, open empty new tab, or restart firefox process.

Software:
* Windows7 64
* Firefox 21
* Duplicate Tabs Closer 1.1.0.0
* Tab Mix Plus 0.4.1.0

Duplicate Tabs Closer options:
* On close: Activate existing tab
* Ignore hash part in url: off
* Ignore search part in url: off
* Close duplicate tab automatically: on

Steps:
1. change the "Display"->"Tab Bar" setting of Tab Mix Plus to "Multi-row" when tabs don't fit width. the position is "bottom", the max number of row is "4".
2. after close an existing tab, or open a new tab, or just close the firefox and reopen it, there is a posibility(not always) that I see the "Multi-row" change to "single-row" in the tab bar.
3. when checking the configuration of Tab Mix Plus, it is still "multi-row".
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

@fallmq, thanks for the report.

I can reproduce the problem but I don't how to fix this. (note that you can solve the problem by clicking on the maximize button to refresh the opened tabs)
I'll check with the dev of TMP.

I will push a new version soon to fix some issues, it will probably not fix your problem.
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

Hi,

Version 1.1.0.2 released:

* fixed: tabs not shown when loaded from "restore session".
* fixed: tabs not shown with Tab Mix Plus.

* new: new option to keep tab with history.
Peuj

Re: [Ext] Duplicate Tabs Closer (1.1.0.3)

Post by Peuj »

Hi,

Version 1.1.0.3 released:

* fixed: errors when multiple tabs are opened at the same time
William Strong

Post by William Strong »

Hi! This app is really really useful... thanks for making it, because I really needed something like this.

Feature request: on mouse-over, have it show a list of the tab names that are duplicated, not just the amount -- so that I know what I'm closing!
temporaryinvaliduser

Post by temporaryinvaliduser »

On Firefox beta (25.0b1) or higher (like Aurora 26.0a2, didn't test current Stable or ESR FF release), this extension seems to cause some kind of leak or memory corruption.

The issue seems to arise after the extension as dealt with duplicated tabs that are open very fast, and the extension closes then, but somehow FF leaves an empty inaccessible (only visible in tab group manager) tab.
After this Firefox bugs out and access to bookmarks or any kind of options or settings via standard app menus are lost (either no bookmarks shown or click does nothing).

Disabling this extension fixes these issues completely, but since this very same version worked just fine on FF 24 beta, it can very easily be a FF bug or incompatibility issue that was overlooked.

Hope you can easily replicate, debug (and fix, if possible) the issue.

BTW, thanks for the extension, keep it up :)
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

William Strong wrote:Hi! This app is really really useful... thanks for making it, because I really needed something like this.

Feature request: on mouse-over, have it show a list of the tab names that are duplicated, not just the amount -- so that I know what I'm closing!

I'm working on the new version and I've planned to add a command to show only the duplicate tabs.
This should help to see what you are closing.
Let me know what you think about it.

Thanks
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

temporaryinvaliduser wrote:On Firefox beta (25.0b1) or higher (like Aurora 26.0a2, didn't test current Stable or ESR FF release), this extension seems to cause some kind of leak or memory corruption.

The issue seems to arise after the extension as dealt with duplicated tabs that are open very fast, and the extension closes then, but somehow FF leaves an empty inaccessible (only visible in tab group manager) tab.
After this Firefox bugs out and access to bookmarks or any kind of options or settings via standard app menus are lost (either no bookmarks shown or click does nothing).

Disabling this extension fixes these issues completely, but since this very same version worked just fine on FF 24 beta, it can very easily be a FF bug or incompatibility issue that was overlooked.

Hope you can easily replicate, debug (and fix, if possible) the issue.

BTW, thanks for the extension, keep it up :)

I cannot reproduce your issue but I rewrite some part of the code so the problem may have been fixed.
Could you explain how the duplicated tabs are "open very fast"?

Thanks
temporaryinvaliduser

Post by temporaryinvaliduser »

Hi,

the main reason I started using your extension was because my mouse sometimes double-clicks (or even triple-clicks) when I use the mouse wheel click. The mouse works OK so I believe it's the button that is showing sines of age (had to replace the left button a couple of years ago also). It was driving me nuts, having to load and then close multiple repeated/duplicated tabs when browsing news feeds, and I was about to replace the button but then I found your extension :) and have been using it for maybe a year or so.

Anyhow, I guess this rapid multiple mouse click is the very fast tab open.
With the extension disabled (for 3 days), sometimes I get multiple duplicated tabs and they load and can be closed afterwards just fine, without bugging the browser. Maybe the extension is closing the tabs before the proper memory for each is even allocated (dunno the internals but sounds plausible that it might be a "simple" array/buffer overflow).

I'm going to try activating the extension again and see if I can replicate the issue without using the mouse-wheel click and using the "regular" Ctrl + Left Click to open links on new tabs. I'll report back later.

Thanks.

EDIT:
After further testing, with the latest version of Firefox Aurora (v26.0a2) with just the Duplicate Tabs Closer (v1.1.0.3 with default settings) extension enabled, it seems that the browser/extension bugs out after the very first termination of a duplicated tab.
To make sure that it was not a mouse (or other hardware) problem I've even used 5 seconds spaced out Ctrl+Enter clicks on the same localhost/file link (letting the tabs fully load between clicks).
So either newer versions of FF don't support the plugin properly or it's the other way round :) (because this very same version of the plugin worked perfectly well on the stable Firefox v23 release, IIRC).

Thanks again, and I hope the issue can be easily fixed, or else I'll have to replace my mouse wheel button :D
Regards.
fallmq

Post by fallmq »

Hi, Peuj.
the latest version works very well, didn't see any more strange bugs now, really stable. thanks very much to make such a useful addon.
I really like the auto close option, and always open it. but sometimes it cause small troubles.
in a few user cases, I want to manul duplicate a tab temporarily, usually I am using a mouse gesture, sometimes using hotkey "CTRL + ALT + T". however, when enable the auto close option, the new tab will be closed at once.

I think if one guy want to do a "duplicate tab" action directly, there must be some reason, maybe it will be better to always allow this behavior?
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

Hi fallmq,

Thanks for the feedback.

I've already notice this "problem" as I always use my add-on in auto mode and also duplicate tab manually. :)
The thing is I don't think it's possible to detect that a user is duplicating tab manually.

So currently if I need to duplicate a tab manually I simply disable the auto mode (using middle click on the icon).
Peuj

Re: [Ext] Duplicate Tabs Closer (1.1.1.0)

Post by Peuj »

Hi,

Version 1.1.1.0 released:

* new: support URL redirection (to not close identical urls which can redirect to different locations)
* new: add shortcut "Ctrl+Shift+W" to close the duplicate tabs

* some bug fixes

New features are coming in next release.

Thanks
fallmq

Post by fallmq »

Hi, peuj

one suggestion, what about bypass some special tab type from auto close? for example: new blank tab.

since tab mix have a new feature of "tab group", if I try to create a new blank tab in one group, and I already have a blank tab in another group, it will redirect to the exist blank tab immediately when enable the "auto close duplicate tab" feature.
this is not my purpose, I just want to create a blank tab temporarily and write the URL manually.
Peuj

Post by Peuj »

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I'll look to add an option to close duplicate tabs only in the same group.