MozillaZine

[Ext] Duplicate Tabs Closer (3.1.2)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Peuj
 
Posts: 121
Joined: January 30th, 2006, 7:24 am

Post Posted May 19th, 2015, 6:06 am

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

What you described should not happen because normally I take care of the loading state.
I've tried to reproduce the problem following your steps but with no luck.

Just to be sure I understand your steps:
You have a blank tab, you type in the adress bar to make a search (using google I guess) you click on the "Go" button or use the "Enter" key (?) then you open a new blank tab using the "+" button or with "Ctrl+T" (?) and the second tab is closed.
Am I correct?
Does it take time for the search on the first tab to be completed or does it load during more than 1 second?

Thanks

Rizrael
 
Posts: 1
Joined: June 27th, 2015, 4:47 pm

Post Posted June 27th, 2015, 4:55 pm

Hi, I'm not sure what the problem is but when I have it installed it works fine but the icon disappears after I close my browser. It remains active, just not visible.

The list of add ons I have that affect tabs are as follows
Customize about:newtab https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/customize-aboutnewtab/
Private Tab https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/private-tab/?src=api
Speed Dial [FVD] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fvd-speed-dial/?src=search
Tab Badge https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-badge/?src=api

Peuj
 
Posts: 121
Joined: January 30th, 2006, 7:24 am

Post Posted June 30th, 2015, 2:02 am

Thanks for the feedback.

Something similar has been raised, I think the problem is related with the sdk I use to create the button, not the other add-ons.
I'm working on a new kind of button with the Mozilla Add-on SDK to solve this problem.

robsonsobral
 
Posts: 4
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Post Posted July 11th, 2015, 4:40 pm

Hi!

I'm testing your addon and it looks really fantastic! Congratulations!

I found some bugs:

- the tabs on a second window aren't being counted;
- when e10s is enabled, the any tabs are being counted;

One suggestion! is it possible to add over the favicon on the tab the same rounded square used over the button but with the number of repeated tabs using that URL on it?

Thanks!

robsonsobral
 
Posts: 4
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Post Posted July 11th, 2015, 5:52 pm

I'm sorry! I forgot to tell you about my system on my last message.

- Windows 8.1
- Firefox 41.0a02

Peuj
 
Posts: 121
Joined: January 30th, 2006, 7:24 am

Post Posted July 21st, 2015, 2:37 am

robsonsobral wrote:Hi!

I'm testing your addon and it looks really fantastic! Congratulations!

I found some bugs:

- the tabs on a second window aren't being counted;
- when e10s is enabled, the any tabs are being counted;

One suggestion! is it possible to add over the favicon on the tab the same rounded square used over the button but with the number of repeated tabs using that URL on it?

Thanks!


Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

The problem with the button (position, badge,...) should be fixed in the next version.
I'm aware about the e10s compatibility and I'm also working on it.

About the suggestion, the idea is really good but I think there are already a lot of add-ons adding badges, colors, images on the tabs so there will be incompatibilities at some moment.
For the moment I'm working on a panel to show the duplicate tabs.

robsonsobral
 
Posts: 4
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Post Posted July 23rd, 2015, 9:03 am

Hi!

Thanks for your attention!

I found another bug that only happens when auto close duplicated tab is enabled.

When opening some link on a new tab in the second or third window, a new tab group is automatically created and the new tab moved into it. Even stranger, the previous tab group can't be accessed, except if you close all tabs on the new group.

After the new tab group be created, everything works fine.

I "guess" this bug is related to the badge on the second window bug.

I'm using, yet:

- Windows 8.1
- Firefox 41.0a02

Thanks for your attention, @Peuj!

robsonsobral
 
Posts: 4
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Post Posted July 24th, 2015, 4:51 am

Correction!

This happens even with Close duplicate tabs automatically disabled.

hmijail
 
Posts: 13
Joined: September 15th, 2013, 11:32 am

Post Posted September 24th, 2015, 2:09 pm

I also would like to have an indication on the duplicated tabs, or rather an indication that a new tab didn't get open because a duplicate exists; maybe flash the existing tab, or show some non-blocking notification? Failing that, a counter/badge as mentioned earlier might be good enough to identify the duplicated ones. Would make safer/less surprising to use this addon.

Anyway, of course thanks for your work!

hmijail
 
Posts: 13
Joined: September 15th, 2013, 11:32 am

Post Posted September 24th, 2015, 2:12 pm

Oh, and is this add-on open source? If so, is there any public repository? I would like trying my hand at helping a bit :)

yfdyh000
 
Posts: 13
Joined: April 9th, 2011, 10:11 am

Post Posted September 26th, 2015, 5:03 am

The auto close mode will break view_source.tab=true.

hmijail
 
Posts: 13
Joined: September 15th, 2013, 11:32 am

Post Posted September 26th, 2015, 4:08 pm

Uh, I see now that I didn't follow up on an earlier answer, sorry. I wasn't subscribed to the topic and didn't get notifications about it.

Peuj wrote:
hmijail wrote:... But I would prefer a feature like what nick222 suggested: instead of closing new duplicate tabs, open them but label them in some way (icon, bold, color, whatever). ...

...
This feature should highlight duplicate tabs but also show which are the tabs with the same URL.
This could be done by using different colors but again as the color is used by other add-ons this can be problematic.

Any comments, suggestions are welcomed.


What about adding a simple "reference number" to the tab name? For example, if a tab is duplicated x times, each of them could have a suffix added, looking like this: {1}. If another tab is duplicated y times, it could have a {2} added.
To make it more informative, the pattern could be extended to {1,x} for the first set of tabs, and {2,y} for the second set. But I am not sure that I would care about that extra info.
The "reference number" could be recycled whenever its set has been closed... or just keep growing...

Peuj
 
Posts: 121
Joined: January 30th, 2006, 7:24 am

Post Posted September 28th, 2015, 3:10 am

yfdyh000 wrote:The auto close mode will break view_source.tab=true.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean.

hmijail wrote:I also would like to have an indication on the duplicated tabs, or rather an indication that a new tab didn't get open because a duplicate exists; maybe flash the existing tab, or show some non-blocking notification? Failing that, a counter/badge as mentioned earlier might be good enough to identify the duplicated ones. Would make safer/less surprising to use this addon.

Anyway, of course thanks for your work!

As for the color, I don't think adding badge or counter on tabs is a good idea as there are add-ons already doing this and it will a mess at the end.

In the new version, a panel will show the duplicate tabs in manual mode.

In automatic mode, there is nothing planned for the moment, but I can show a popup to alert about a tab closed and propose to activate the remaining tab.

hmijail wrote:Oh, and is this add-on open source? If so, is there any public repository? I would like trying my hand at helping a bit :)

Once I release the next version I will push the code on Github.

hmijail wrote:...

What about adding a simple "reference number" to the tab name? For example, if a tab is duplicated x times, each of them could have a suffix added, looking like this: {1}. If another tab is duplicated y times, it could have a {2} added.
To make it more informative, the pattern could be extended to {1,x} for the first set of tabs, and {2,y} for the second set. But I am not sure that I would care about that extra info.
The "reference number" could be recycled whenever its set has been closed... or just keep growing...

I like the idea but let see first if a panel showing the duplicated tabs is not enough.


Thanks

hmijail
 
Posts: 13
Joined: September 15th, 2013, 11:32 am

Post Posted September 28th, 2015, 3:21 am

Just a note on the "duplicate tabs pane": the add-on All Tabs Helper (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r/?src=api) already does something like that.

Snapshot:
https://addons.cdn.mozilla.net/user-med ... 1440291773

yfdyh000
 
Posts: 13
Joined: April 9th, 2011, 10:11 am

Post Posted September 28th, 2015, 3:35 am

Change the view_source.tab to true, and turn on the "Close duplicate tabs automatically" of the add-on, then click "View Source" in an page context menu.
The new tab be closed immediately, and an error in Browser Console: "TypeError: content is null viewSource-content.js:72:9".
Non-automatic mode to work properly.

Return to Extension/Theme Releases


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests