Torrent Status (old addon, new name)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
lithopsian

Torrent Status (old addon, new name)

Post by lithopsian »

Torrent Status Tool used to be uTorrent Status Tool, but can now support different server types. v1.2 (currently available in beta) supports uTorrent and qBittorrent. I've only tested qBittorrent on Linux, not the Windows version. It shows the overall status of the torrents, including a summary list, and allows torrent files and magnet links to be submitted directly to your configured server.

To accompany the support of different torrent programs, I've added a feature to have different sets of icons display for different server types. I've included four icon themes:
- classic uTorrent
- classic qBittorrent
- fresh uTorrent (flatter and greener)
- red neutral.
Theming isn't my speciality so I hope the icons are usable.
Last edited by lithopsian on August 12th, 2013, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
lithopsian

Re: Torrent Status (old addon, new name)

Post by lithopsian »

So it turns out that qBittorrent changed its API between v2 and v3, so this beta only works with versions earlier than v3. The release will support both, and I also added BitTorrent.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

v1.2 is up. Reviews are taking a long time, so probably won't appear on the front page for a couple of weeks.

The beta has an issue with server discovery, so it wouldn't "discover" anything other than localhost which isn't very useful :)

Version 1.3 should have support for more than 3 torrent servers, mostly just changes to the options dialog to configure them. I'm also looking to add support for Deluge and Transmission. Maybe Azureus/Vuze. What other programs do people use? Remember it needs an HTTP/XML/JSON API that I can connect to.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

v1.2 is finally approved, after more review shennanigans with the team making up new rules that nobody has heard of before and then refusing to approve addons that don't even contravene those rules.

Unfortunately qBittorrent v3 doesn't work for torrent file downloads. v2 is OK but the latest version on Windows and many Linux distros including Ubuntu is now 3. Debian stable is still on 2.9.8. Don't know why they changed an API that worked just fine, but they did. v1.4 fixes this, so you'll need that if you want to use qBittorrent v3 for anything other than magnet links.

v1.4 is now up, awaiting review. The queue is shorter, but it still looks like a minimum 3 week wait.

v1.4 includes a rewrite of the code for configuring servers. You can now add (and delete) as many different servers as you want, although I guess most people will only need one. The icon theming for each server is extended into the notifications and alerts. Initial configuration and connection of a new server is improved, although the step-by-step wizard didn't make it into this release. The server address textbox will indicate when the addon is looking for a listening torrent program. You can still type one in manually while this is happening, or just wait for it to run its course. qBittorrent does have a habit of banning users after quite a small number of failed logins, which can be frustrating when you're trying to connect, and the only way around it seems to to restart qBittorrent after it happens. Each server can now be disabled without deleting it, and then it won't appear anywhere outside the options dialog.

I have changed the default notification method from modal dialog boxes to the "native" because these have more functionality, are less annoying, and now work reliably on all platforms. Unfortunately no sooner did Firefox get them working well on pretty much every Linux out there than they replaced them with HTML5 notifications which are not native and are really ugly. Macs are the same, a nasty box up in the top right corner. Windows actually seems to get native notifications. Still, you're free to go back to modal dialogs if you want. And those native notifications I see in Firefox 17 ESR are just beautiful ...

The big downside of Torrent Status v1.4 is that your addon bar icon may disappear :shock: The review team have decided that icons in the old status bar shim can no longer appear by default, so even if you've been using it for years it will disappear. You can turn it back on in the options dialog, but it might be better to drag one of the toolbar buttons from the customise palette instead. The statusbar shim is going to disappear completely one day and then your icon would just disappear again. Either kind of icon will work identically.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

v.1.5 (minor bug fix)
v1.6 adds support for Vuze/Azureus and Transmission.

Transmission is simple enough, but you have to remember to enable the web interface from the options. Versions back to at least 1.4 should be supported, which is ancient.

Vuze needs a plugin to enable remote access. There are three choices: HTML WebUI, azSMRC multiuser remote control, and Vuze Web Remote. Each has their own configuration settings, but basically it always boils down to picking a port and choosing whether to have username and password authentication. Torrent Status should pick the default settings for whichever you choose, but obviously you'll have to fill in any password and change any non-default port. There are all sorts of versions, but everything from the latest release back to the fairly old 4.3 provided in many Linux distros should work.

There is now just one choice for all qBittorrent versions. You should automatically be switched to this, but if something looks weird, check the options and make sure it is selected. Versions from 2.9 upwards work, and theoretically quite a bit older too.

90%+ of torrent users should be covered now, so what's next? Deluge uses a weird authentication methodology, not HTTP and just a password with no username, so I'm not keen to mess about to support that. There's rTorrent and KTorrent, which both have avid fans on Linux?
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

We have a new Serbian translator, but where are all the Russians? Second most popular language, but they're all stuck reading English. Please go to http://www.babelzilla.org/index.php?opt ... nsion=5640 and type in some Cyrillic characters :)
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Deluge and KTorrent now supported.
BubbleNSqueak

Post by BubbleNSqueak »

This great extension worked in my FF 21beta, but since updating to FF 25 beta it is just greyed out and it can't connect. Is it possible to make it compatible or tell me if there is a change i need to make to make it work??

edit: just installed FF 24.0 and it doesn't work in that also.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

BubbleNSqueak wrote:This great extension worked in my FF 21beta, but since updating to FF 25 beta it is just greyed out and it can't connect. Is it possible to make it compatible or tell me if there is a change i need to make to make it work??

edit: just installed FF 24.0 and it doesn't work in that also.

What program are you trying to connect to? Are you using the same version of the addon in all the Firefox versions? Is the server on your local machine? Do you have a password set or is it blank?

For a little debugging, go into about:config and filter to "TorrentStatus.d". Toggle the doDebug preference to true and see if you get any error messages showing up in other preferences when you try to connect.

It would also be useful to know if it can detect the torrent server at all. If it is on your local machine, go to the options and blank out the address. It should change to a blue "Searching ..." and then fill in the address where it found someone listening, probably localhost. That would mean it connected but either couldn't authenticate or was getting some sort of error response from the server.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Turns out magnet links in Deluge haven't been working for ages. Someone finally let me know and this is fixed in version 1.11 of the addon (still requires Deluge 1.3.4 or greater for magnet support). Please let me know of anything not working right with any torrent program. If I don't know about it then it won't get fixed.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

I'm adding some extra features on the icon. In v1.12 there is detection of the mouse wheel. It will switch between multiple configured servers, and if you scroll past the last server or there is only one, then it will temporarily disconnect from it. I'm not sure how this will work on different devices, but on a standard mouse it seems OK.

v1.13 has an option for whether a left click on the toolbar item (label or icon) opens the webui or stops submitting torrents (eg. if you want to save a torrent file to disk). There is also a menu item for stopping handling torrent clicks, even if the button isn't set to do that. There is an option for whether the mousewheel scrolls through the configured servers or opens the web ui (in the current tab). If there is only one configured (and enabled) server then the mousewheel always opens the webui.
piotrkustal

Post by piotrkustal »

@lithopsian when can we expect rtorrent/rutorrent support? I think it's crucial for many linux users and fans of your extension. Thank you in advance.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

piotrkustal wrote:@lithopsian when can we expect rtorrent/rutorrent support? I think it's crucial for many linux users and fans of your extension. Thank you in advance.

I've looked at it, but it wasn't straightforward. So it will have to wait until I have a bit more time. It should be the way forward, but it is also a cobbled together group of different front ends to the engine and supporting them properly will take some imagination.
piotrkustal

Post by piotrkustal »

Thanks for feedback. At the moment there's only one FF addon which supports rutorrent frontend:

https://addons.mozilla.org/pl/firefox/a ... src=search

but it hasn't been updated since 2013 ;( Can't wait to see rtorrent support in your extension.
khakkinen

Post by khakkinen »

Hey Lithopsian,

When using the addon to monitor Transmission, the number of torrents is not working for the download side. The download speed works fine, the torrents are showing up when I hover over the area, just the count remains at 0. Any ideas?