Tab Utilities revived

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
philly30

Re: Tab Utilities revived

Post by philly30 »

This is much better than tab mix plus
max2

Post by max2 »

philly30 wrote:This is much better than tab mix plus

I agree.
jetman

Post by jetman »

@stux:

I was just about to report all is well, then I forgot a serious problem from 1.6pre4 that reared its head as I was typing this msg: please disable or permit remapping of [Ctrl]-{Right] and [Ctrl]-[Left]. These two keystrokes are an integral part of Windows' text controls (ie. word-right and word-left). I'm very certain that the updated TU is the cause, as I stopped using 1.6pre4 for this very reason.

When you get a chance and thanks for picking up the project....
stux

Post by stux »

First off, I would like to thank everybody for your feedback and words of support. :)

Now in response to jetman's comment,
jetman wrote:@stux:

I was just about to report all is well, then I forgot a serious problem from 1.6pre4 that reared its head as I was typing this msg: please disable or permit remapping of [Ctrl]-{Right] and [Ctrl]-[Left]. These two keystrokes are an integral part of Windows' text controls (ie. word-right and word-left). I'm very certain that the updated TU is the cause, as I stopped using 1.6pre4 for this very reason.

When you get a chance and thanks for picking up the project....

I actually did encounter this issue a while ago when I started using this add-on. The long-term solution would be to remap the keys to something else. These changes will have to wait a while, especially since I'm still waiting to see what ithinc will do for his release. Fortunately there's a simple way to work around this issue: in the Tabs Settings, go to the "Tab Closing" pane and uncheck "Ctrl Left/Right Arrow to navigate in sequential order". This will revert the buttons to their original behavior.

-stux
jetman

Post by jetman »

stux wrote:First off, I would like to thank everybody for your feedback and words of support. :)

Now in response to jetman's comment,

I actually did encounter this issue a while ago when I started using this add-on. The long-term solution would be to remap the keys to something else. These changes will have to wait a while, especially since I'm still waiting to see what ithinc will do for his release. Fortunately there's a simple way to work around this issue: in the Tabs Settings, go to the "Tab Closing" pane and uncheck "Ctrl Left/Right Arrow to navigate in sequential order". This will revert the buttons to their original behavior.

-stux

That's fine. Is it simply that he (ithinc) hasn't responded at all or he's indicated he's still considering his options ? One would think he'd want to hand off to someone who wants to do the work. Anyway, thanx and good luck...
Dawz

Post by Dawz »

I love this version! It fixes the issue with pinned app tabs overlapping and having weird colors.

However, the only thing I cannot figure out is why the buttons for the tab priority will not go away. In the Status Bar, the lower right-hand corner, the "Tab Bg Fg" text will not go away. I have gone into the settings to set them to "Hide", and I have also tried to set them to icons, icons + text, or just text, and no settings work. Even setting the option to show, restarting the browser, and then doing the same after setting them to "hide" will not make them go away!

--nevermind! I'm not quite sure how I fixed it, but after importing my old Tab Utilities preferences and also installing the addon for Tab Groups (since in PM 24 they inexplicably blitzed Tab Groups / Panorama.....), the text is gone from my status bar and comes and goes as I change settings.
stux

Post by stux »

Dawz wrote:I love this version! It fixes the issue with pinned app tabs overlapping and having weird colors.

However, the only thing I cannot figure out is why the buttons for the tab priority will not go away. In the Status Bar, the lower right-hand corner, the "Tab Bg Fg" text will not go away. I have gone into the settings to set them to "Hide", and I have also tried to set them to icons, icons + text, or just text, and no settings work. Even setting the option to show, restarting the browser, and then doing the same after setting them to "hide" will not make them go away!

--nevermind! I'm not quite sure how I fixed it, but after importing my old Tab Utilities preferences and also installing the addon for Tab Groups (since in PM 24 they inexplicably blitzed Tab Groups / Panorama.....), the text is gone from my status bar and comes and goes as I change settings.

Hi Dawz,

I don't exactly know what is going on with Pale Moon, but there was a report of TU having issues with PM 24. I confirmed those issues and I am working on trying to resolve them. I don't know if they are found in PM 24 64-bit as well. Some of the issues you report are likely related. I, too, use Pale Moon and will try to figure out the cause of these issues as soon as I can (provided I have available time to work on this). Here is a link to the relevant report:
Incidentally, the pinned tabs bug you mentioned might be a side effect of the PM issues. Once these issues are (hopefully) resolved, let me know if the bug comes back along with detailed information about the bug.

Finally, your comment about getting the system to work after installing the tab groups add-on intrigues me. I will test that out and see if the cause of the issue is the removal of the tab groups module.

Thanks!

-stux
stux

Post by stux »

stux wrote:
Dawz wrote:I love this version! It fixes the issue with pinned app tabs overlapping and having weird colors.

Hi Dawz,

Finally, your comment about getting the system to work after installing the tab groups add-on intrigues me. I will test that out and see if the cause of the issue is the removal of the tab groups module.

Thanks!

-stux

Dawz, you have made me a very happy person!!! :D Installing the Tab Groups add-on solved the issue! =D> It looks like the TU add-on relies on some of the modules provided by Tab Groups. I will add instructions for Pale Moon users and beg the PM developers to bring the code back (even if disabled) ;).

Once again, thank you very, very much!
Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 »

Hi Stux!

I just found this section so now I don't have to use the review process to communicate. Anyways, I am going to experiment with it on a few computers and see what happens.

One point of advice is you may want to plan your listed min/max versions carefully and I will explain why:

You want to keep the minimum high enough that it wont end up breaking on old versions of Firefox. However, Palemoon does not use FFs ridiculous rabid-release schedule and often times it's version #s fall behind leading to false incompatibility issues. Periodically PM will be given a large version # bump to keep up with all of the version # inflation. Of course Mozilla has fooled us all by abandoning the decimal point and labeling even the most minor update a "major new release." Wow! Such innovation!

Advanced users will know how do things like change their user agent, edit the min/max versions and other tricks but the average user wont. That is why it gets a bit tricky for developers.

Anyways, that is enough technotalk for now. Please make sure that you have a great weekend!

**Edit** I started writing this a while ago and got pulled AFK. By the time I got back it looks like you found the solutions. I will go and start fixing things. I also have my on page on how to operate TU and it now looks like I will have to update it too and switch it to your updated version. Also, within 24 hours you can expect a glowing 5 star review for a job well done!
Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 »

Thank you very much! It looks like we all can be in tab heaven now that TU is in good hands. I got it working on each computer and it is working probably better than ever. I am going to update my TU page and I am going to promote the daylights out of the new version! I went and deleted the old review and put on a well deserved 5 star review instead.

Still, there is one strange issue: When I do searches for TUP it doesn't show- even if I change my user agent. How are enough people going to find it if they don't get it shown? That is typical Mozilla...

I do somewhat understand why tab groups got removed from PM. I massively experimented with them and the system was half-baked and more trouble than it was worth. I have a business that promotes tech that works and I am constantly looking for ways to make tech work for real people. In the end I decided to jettison them because it just was too much trouble for too little results. Maybe someone out there could get in there and develop a system that truly shines!?!?

Also, few people used it making it in the PM developer's eyes disposable. There was a poll in the PM forums and virtually nobody used it. Also IMO a great TU setup can also lessen the need for tab grouping. Put it all together and it kinda makes sense why the situation is the way it is right now. Who knows though? What if someone revamps tab grouping and really makes it sizzle?

To close this out it looks like Stux is going to do a great job here. Have a great weekend!
BrandonH28

Post by BrandonH28 »

Hi. Wondering if anyone else has encountered the issue of the close button not appearing when the option is set to display on the pointed/active tab. It only appears on the active tab. It also works properly on another computer, so it must be an addon interfering. I disabled a few I thought were obvious, but it still occurs. Thanks.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Apollo702

I split your post off to locked since it was little more then a shrill for Palemoon. You are welcomed to report a problem with the extension here. You will not use this thread to promote any browser.

All conversation about this will take place in viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2706389 and not here.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
stux

Post by stux »

First off, please note that I found an issue with closing multiple tabs in Firefox 24 (posted in the add-on's page):
NOTICE FOR FIREFOX 24.0 USERS:
I have noticed that closing multiple tabs (and some related functions) isn't working correctly under Tab Utilities. The Firefox-provided "Close Tabs to the Right" option does, however, work correctly. As a workaround, please group, then ungroup the tabs you need to close and move them to a new window. From that point on the window may be closed normally. I will work on finding a solution in the following weeks.

I did not catch this sooner since I still haven't created my Test Plan. Along with it are other issues and my workaround isn't foolproof, sadly. If ithinc launches a release, hopefully those issues will be fixed, otherwise a fix will have to wait until I am more comfortable with the code base (there is a lot of code to understand) and find the cause of the issue.

Time for several replies:

Apollo702 wrote:One point of advice is you may want to plan your listed min/max versions carefully and I will explain why:

Apollo, please note my first post in this thread:
stux wrote:FF17-20 are not supported. For the time being anyway. The fixes break backwards compatibility. Since existing solutions (1.5.1 and 1.6pre3) work fine, I have deemed backwards compatibility to be a lower priority.

This is the reason why the minimum version number is so high. As for the maximum version, I only leave it as high as I can test it. That may or may not change in the future.

Apollo702 wrote:Still, there is one strange issue: When I do searches for TUP it doesn't show- even if I change my user agent. How are enough people going to find it if they don't get it shown? That is typical Mozilla...

This is actually due to Mozilla's review process. Since I can't really take over the original Tab Utilities add-on, I had to submit a new extension. By policy, extensions are not searchable until they have at least been through the Preliminary Review Process. You can download the add-on but you get a warning from Mozilla saying that they haven't reviewed it for safety. Currently, TUP (my version of TU) is in the Preliminary Queue sitting in position 21. It has taken weeks to get there from position 160-something and will take an unknown amount of time for it to pass. Once it does, it will be searchable, but not before. I can speed up the process by volunteering with the review process but my available time and extensions experience are both lacking. Until then, the most I can do is advertise that this add-on exists as an alternative.

Apollo702 wrote:To close this out it looks like Stux is going to do a great job here. Have a great weekend!

Thank you for the encouraging words!

BrandonH28 wrote:Hi. Wondering if anyone else has encountered the issue of the close button not appearing when the option is set to display on the pointed/active tab. It only appears on the active tab. It also works properly on another computer, so it must be an addon interfering. I disabled a few I thought were obvious, but it still occurs. Thanks.

Hi Brandon,
I briefly tested the pointed/active tab feature on my setup and it seemed to be working as expected. It may be that one of your other add-ons is indeed interfering. To find out which: try disabling all your add-ons (except TU), verify that the pointed/active tab feature works, and re-enable each one-by-one until it stops working. Let us know what you find.

Thanks,
-stux
fenrei

Post by fenrei »

Hi! Could you fix this bug in the Tab Utilities Lite 1.1.5 please?

The problem is with Read/Unread tab highlighting.

Example:
If I refresh/load a tab, the refresh/load finished, then I switch to other tab, then about 1-2 seconds later I see that the previous tab's unread highlighting is again active (or the read highlighting is removed).

This bug is not in Tab Utilities, but it is in Tab Utilites Lite 1.1.5 version.
stux

Post by stux »

fenrei wrote:Hi! Could you fix this bug in the Tab Utilities Lite 1.1.5 please?

The problem is with Read/Unread tab highlighting.

Example:
If I refresh/load a tab, the refresh/load finished, then I switch to other tab, then about 1-2 seconds later I see that the previous tab's unread highlighting is again active (or the read highlighting is removed).

This bug is not in Tab Utilities, but it is in Tab Utilites Lite 1.1.5 version.

Hi fenrei,

I am sorry but I am currently not supporting Tab Utilities Lite. I mentioned this in a previous comment:

stux wrote:Hi molio,

Sorry, forgot to mention this in the release but I didn't have immediate plans of supporting Tab Utilities Lite and I was going to point people to the full version. Once I became familiar with the code, I'd be able to look into the Lite version. I'm sorry if that causes an inconvenience.

I have updated my initial post to reflect this.

Thank you for your understanding,

-stux