Tab Utilities revived

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Draly

Re: Tab Utilities revived

Post by Draly »

I just wanted to thank you because this is THE add-on i couldn't live without.
This will be so much easier to keep an up to date and usable add-on with your work, it will save some time to many users.

BTW, a simple question, many someone could answer, i don't know how to explain it clearly so i will try my best:
I want to be able to open links in background with right click or mousewheel click or whatever (so that they don't get the focus until i focus them manually), but, at the same time, i want to get the focus on links that are opening in new tabs/windows automatically.
If i enable focus "new tabs from links", i loose the ability to open tabs in background, is there a way to do that?

One more time, thank you for bringing that incredible add-on back to life for all of us.
BrandonH28

Post by BrandonH28 »

stux wrote:
BrandonH28 wrote:Hi. Wondering if anyone else has encountered the issue of the close button not appearing when the option is set to display on the pointed/active tab. It only appears on the active tab. It also works properly on another computer, so it must be an addon interfering. I disabled a few I thought were obvious, but it still occurs. Thanks.

Hi Brandon,
I briefly tested the pointed/active tab feature on my setup and it seemed to be working as expected. It may be that one of your other add-ons is indeed interfering. To find out which: try disabling all your add-ons (except TU), verify that the pointed/active tab feature works, and re-enable each one-by-one until it stops working. Let us know what you find.

Thanks,
-stux

Turned out to be Faviconize Tab. Can't believe it didn't occur to me. I never use that addon anyway. Thanks for your work stux.
loby

Post by loby »

perhaps a bug with Appearance -> Menus -> close left tabs and Appearance -> Menus -> close right tabs

it works with one tab to close, it doesnt work with more tabs
Keith94

Post by Keith94 »

Hello. Nice job with the extension, I hope to fully replace Tab Mix Plus with this one eventually. Well here's some possible bugs and suggestions I have for it:

1) Changing the value of extensions.tabutils.titleAsBookmark to true doesn't give the intended behaviour, which should cause the tab name to match the bookmark name if it's from a bookmark.

2) If the "Open links from foreign applications in" option is set to "New tab", urls launched from another app will refuse to open if you only have new (blank) tabs open in Firefox. I think the url should open in one of those new tabs if that's all the user has open.

3) If the user has disabled the "Focus new tabs from: Bookmarks/History" option, then I think that opening new bookmarks via middle click should also stop stealing focus, not just ctrl+click. So I suggest that the value of this preference would get changed to 1, if you agree: extensions.tabutils.middleClickBookmarks

4) The shortcut for close left tabs (Ctrl+Shift+F3) is conflicting with the Element Hiding Helper extension - specifically its "Select an element to hide" option which also uses Ctrl+Shift+F3. I tried to set this preference to false but it did not resolve the issue: extensions.tabutils.shortcut.key_closeLeftTabs

5) A couple more keyboard shortcuts that aren't working are Ctrl+X and Ctrl+Left/Right Arrow. These shortcuts should function as "Copy Page Location and Close Tab" and "Previous/Next Tab", respectively.
Last edited by Keith94 on September 25th, 2013, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgp

Post by rgp »

Thank you for taking over this extension.
stux

Post by stux »

New version: 1.6pre8

I have uploaded a new version that fixes the FF24 issues with closing multiple tabs. The culprit was a change in the arguments in warnAboutClosingTabs(). I added version-dependent code that should maintain FF23 functionality (my apologies but I haven't had time to test in FF23 yet).

I have also added several locales (from the Tab Utilities Locales add-on) into the source. These include: cs, de, es-ES, it, ja-JP, nl, pl, pt-BR, pt-PT, ru, sv-SE, tr and zh-TW. Unfortunately, newer features don't have translations yet and instead I have used English placeholders. When I have a chance I'll use BabelZilla to fill in the gaps and perhaps request other languages (and suggestions?).

I am still in the process of refactoring the code (so I can better understand it) and I have yet to start my test plan. The test plan should help me identify any potential issues with the numerous features included in this add-on. For the time being I only briefly test what I consider to be the most important features.

To download the latest version (since it's still awaiting preliminary review), please visit the versions page:
stux

Post by stux »

Keith94 wrote:Hello. Nice job with the extension, I hope to fully replace Tab Mix Plus with this one eventually. Well here's some possible bugs and suggestions I have for it:

1) Changing the value of extensions.tabutils.titleAsBookmark to true doesn't give the intended behaviour, which should cause the tab name to match the bookmark name if it's from a bookmark.

2) If the "Open links from foreign applications in" option is set to "New tab", urls launched from another app will refuse to open if you only have new (blank) tabs open in Firefox. I think the url should open in one of those new tabs if that's all the user has open.

3) If the user has disabled the "Focus new tabs from: Bookmarks/History" option, then I think that opening new bookmarks via middle click should also stop stealing focus, not just ctrl+click. So I suggest that the value of this preference would get changed to 1, if you agree: extensions.tabutils.middleClickBookmarks

4) The shortcut for close left tabs (Ctrl+Shift+F3) is conflicting with the Element Hiding Helper extension - specifically its "Select an element to hide" option which also uses Ctrl+Shift+F3. I tried to set this preference to false but it did not resolve the issue: extensions.tabutils.shortcut.key_closeLeftTabs

5) A couple more keyboard shortcuts that aren't working are Ctrl+X and Ctrl+Left/Right Arrow. These shortcuts should function as "Copy Page Location and Close Tab" and "Previous/Next Tab", respectively.

Hi Keith94,

Thank you very much for the thorough list of issues, including some (like tittleAsBookmark) that I've never used before. I will add these to the list of things to check for (and fix as needed) and will be added to my test plan (whenever I get around to making it :-" ). I am almost certain that Ctrl+Left/Right worked in FF23. I'll have to check with FF24 (I disabled those because they conflict with a text editor's skip word functionality). For other shortcut conflicts I'll see if there are options to disable the key bindings. But all this work will be contingent on my available time. Thanks again for the help!

-stux
blackwind

Post by blackwind »

Since you've begun fixing bugs, stux, here's one I submitted in the old TU thread:

blackwind wrote:In Firefox 13, the Alt+Click shortcut to save a link was disabled so that text could be selected within links by holding Alt. Tab Utilities breaks this functionality by always navigating to the partially selected link onmouseup. Can we get a fix?
/bw (Author of Reload Plus)
Keith94

Post by Keith94 »

Glad I could help, stux. I'll post again if I come across any more issues.
stux

Post by stux »

blackwind wrote:Since you've begun fixing bugs, stux, here's one I submitted in the old TU thread:

blackwind wrote:In Firefox 13, the Alt+Click shortcut to save a link was disabled so that text could be selected within links by holding Alt. Tab Utilities breaks this functionality by always navigating to the partially selected link onmouseup. Can we get a fix?

Thanks blackwind! I've also added this to the list of things to look at. Again, it will take some time before I can take a look.

-stux
travis_san

Post by travis_san »

Ithinc posted (post 4713) yesterday on the Chinese thread. Seems like he's still planning to release a new version before Oct 1 (China's National Day).

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... 3102-158-1
kIssGlaY

Post by kIssGlaY »

But he didn't state if it's this year or next couple years.
jetman

Post by jetman »

Okay, I just got the 1.6pre8 and I now have (regardless of why) the fix I didn't even bother to mention: New Tab Tools. Works ! YAY ! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
stux

Post by stux »

Several responses:

Draly wrote:I just wanted to thank you because this is THE add-on i couldn't live without.
This will be so much easier to keep an up to date and usable add-on with your work, it will save some time to many users.

BTW, a simple question, many someone could answer, i don't know how to explain it clearly so i will try my best:
I want to be able to open links in background with right click or mousewheel click or whatever (so that they don't get the focus until i focus them manually), but, at the same time, i want to get the focus on links that are opening in new tabs/windows automatically.
If i enable focus "new tabs from links", i loose the ability to open tabs in background, is there a way to do that?

One more time, thank you for bringing that incredible add-on back to life for all of us.

rgp wrote:Thank you for taking over this extension.

jetman wrote:Okay, I just got the 1.6pre8 and I now have (regardless of why) the fix I didn't even bother to mention: New Tab Tools. Works ! YAY ! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Thank you rgp and others for your words of support and appreciation :)

As for conflicts with New Tab Tools, jetman, I am not sure what could've been the conflict but I'm glad it's working for you now :)

Draly, I'm not entirely sure I understood what you're trying to accomplish. Perhaps enabling "focus from diverted windows" is what you want to enable? I'm guessing you want to switch focus when a page opens a new window/tab. Alternatively, it may be that you want every left-click on a link to open in a new tab and take focus. I think you can do that by going to the link menu and selecting "Force all links to open in New Tab". Hope this helps!

travis_san wrote:Ithinc posted (post 4713) yesterday on the Chinese thread. Seems like he's still planning to release a new version before Oct 1 (China's National Day).

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... 3102-158-1

kIssGlaY wrote:But he didn't state if it's this year or next couple years.

With regards to the original Tab Utilities and its updates I am currently playing it by ear. I plan to continue support for this add-on and fix bugs as needed; I have no plans of abandoning the project. If new releases are made by ithinc I will try to push changes downstream to this add-on. I will also try to push changes upstream to TU if ithink facilitates that. If that is the case, hopefully there should only be a single code base even if there are two add-ons. But, like I said, I'm playing it by ear since I don't know what exactly ithinc is planning. In the meantime, please remain supportive of ithinc's work for he has created an amazing and indispensable add-on, even if he hasn't been able to update it for some reason or another.

-stux
Draly

Post by Draly »

stux wrote:Several responses:

Draly, I'm not entirely sure I understood what you're trying to accomplish. Perhaps enabling "focus from diverted windows" is what you want to enable? I'm guessing you want to switch focus when a page opens a new window/tab. Alternatively, it may be that you want every left-click on a link to open in a new tab and take focus. I think you can do that by going to the link menu and selecting "Force all links to open in New Tab". Hope this helps!

First of all, thanks for your answer, even if that's not what i was talking about, i'll try to be clearer... if i can :)
Let's say that i often open links in new tabs manually, for later reading, for this i use my mouse middle clic.
When i do so, i want thoses tab not to take focus, as, like i just said, it is for later reading, so i need them to open in background tabs.
But, and this is were the fun part starts, sometimes, links are targetting to new tabs, just like the link on this page to the "new tab tools add-on", and when i clic this link, (not with middle mouse clic, but with normal left clic) i want it to take focus (i mean, open as it should, in a new foreground tab).
Ths only way i found to behave like this is to activate "focus new tabs from links" in TU (and it's the same as checking "when i open a link in a new tab, with to it immediatly" in firefox tabs options).
But, if i do so, then, i loose the ability to open links, manually, in background new tabs for later reading, every time i open a link in a new tab with my middle clic, it gets the focus... :(

To put it in a nutshell (haha, didn't use this expression sine my school years), i would be able to:
Manually open links i want in background tab (with middlemouse clic, or whatever).
Get the focus on the new tab opened (automatically, not manually with middle clic) by links targetting to new tabs.

I'll try to make a new clean profile and see if i can do that, as i think it was the way it did for the last years... thanks for your efforts, and for reading, we are really grateful to you man.