[Ext] Simple Locale Switcher

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
nohamelin

[Ext] Simple Locale Switcher

Post by nohamelin »

Simple Locale Switcher in: AMO | Github | BabelZilla

Compatibility: Firefox 10.0 and later, Thunderbird 10.0 and later, SeaMonkey 2.7 and later.
License: Mozilla Public License (MPL) 2.0

It exposes in a more friendly way the hidden preferences that controls the user interface language: general.useragent.locale and intl.locale.matchOS. It can be seen as an alternative to Locale Switcher and (partially) to Quick Locale Switcher.

Thread open to general discussion and user support.
nohamelin

Re: [Ext] Simple Locale Switcher

Post by nohamelin »

Okay, let me try to give to this thread a bit of life...

* Release 0.8.7 was recently pushed to AMO. Getting full review should be fast. I expect I did not break anything with a recent internal change: getting rid of the recently deprecated FUEL library: If for anybody the 'Restart after switch language' switch doesn't work anymore, let me know about it.

* I have checked and it seems that the extension wasn't bitten by the recent 'let' and 'const' behaviour changes. I was a bit lucky here: though I use 'let' extensively in functions and block scopes, using it in the global context always feels a bit off to me, so I used 'var' in these cases :-" Anyway, more reports are welcomed.
nohamelin

Post by nohamelin »

Between all the stuff being removed upstream in Firefox 57, nsLocaleService got the cut too and the add-on was broken. Hard. As the availability of a WebExtensions API for it is still an uncertain thing, I will try to keep the add-on working in Nightly/Aurora while it's possible: I will update it soon.
grahamperrin

Simple Locale Switcher and FreeBSD port www/firefox-i18n

Post by grahamperrin »

For reference:

FreeBSD bug 221916 – cease www/firefox-i18n dependency on old, incompatible xpi-quick-locale-switcher

> … Working alternatives that are multiprocess-compatible include:
>
> … Simple Locale Switcher …
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

Hi,
nohamelin wrote:Between all the stuff being removed upstream in Firefox 57, nsLocaleService got the cut too and the add-on was broken. Hard. As the availability of a WebExtensions API for it is still an uncertain thing, I will try to keep the add-on working in Nightly/Aurora while it's possible: I will update it soon.
Maybe you can keep Simple Locale Switcher working at least in Thunderbird ?
I'm still using SLS with Thunderbird 58.0b3 but it no longer works with Thunderbird 59.0b2 and Thunderbird Daily since "general.useragent.locale" has been deprecated in favor of the new preference "intl.locale.requested". Actually this new pref is not yet been installed by default and his to be created manually in the config editor by the user who wants to change the GUI language of his local Firefox or Thunderbird copy.
See Bug 1410738
nohamelin

Post by nohamelin »

Eckard wrote:Hi,
Maybe you can keep Simple Locale Switcher working at least in Thunderbird ?
I'm still using SLS with Thunderbird 58.0b3 but it no longer works with Thunderbird 59.0b2 and Thunderbird Daily since "general.useragent.locale" has been deprecated in favor of the new preference "intl.locale.requested". Actually this new pref is not yet been installed by default and his to be created manually in the config editor by the user who wants to change the GUI language of his local Firefox or Thunderbird copy.
See Bug 1410738
Yes, I'm aware of the issues of the add-on with the dev builds of Thunderbird, I'm tracking them here, but I haven't had time to work on it. I definitely publish an update specific for Thunderbird 60 before it hits the release channel.
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

Thank you for this update.
Hopefully looking forward to your success ;)
nohamelin

Post by nohamelin »

Thunderbird 60 has been released but there isn't an updated compatible build of this add-on for it. It will be completed during the next weeks. I have very little time to work on it.