[Ext] Clean Links 2.4

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Soul Stealer

Re: [Ext] Clean Links 2.4

Post by Soul Stealer »

I'm so confused ... I read all 3 pages and I admit to not understanding most of it.

I thought this addon would convert this:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/04/justice/pennsylvania-blind-man-beating/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_us+%28RSS%3A+U.S.%29

to this:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/04/justice/pennsylvania-blind-man-beating/index.html

but it doesn't. Am I just confused, not doing something right, or what? :(
It's like I said.
diegocr

Post by diegocr »

Yeah, it does:

Can you post the page where that link can be found or the source code of the page itself for the relevant part? Tried myself to add cnn's rss to feedburner here but i don't see any utm tag added to my links.
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist...
https://addons.mozilla.org/user/diegocr/
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for ... I use FeedDemon and it was one of the article's under this feed:

http://rss.cnn.com/rss/cnn_crime.rss

You can click here to see a screenshot. At the bottom is the what the url looks like when I hover over it but when I click it, I get the above one with all the utm stuff.
It's like I said.
diegocr

Post by diegocr »

Enable the "Redirect Watcher" option and it should catch them.
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist...
Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 »

Hi Diego,

Unfortunately it looks like I spoke too soon. After updating Palemoon yesterday to 24.1.2(x64) the icon again vanished- and this time it is total. It is nowhere to be found and I even scrolled up and down through the customization window in case it wasn't listed in the "C"s section. Nope. This time it is gone-gone.

I have reasons why I would rather not post my toolbar setup in public. I do use the menu, address and then 3 custom bars- all of which are highly customized into a setup that took years to perfect. There are many many icons and I only have trouble with 2 of them: CL and Ghostery.

I have more faith in you than the Ghostery developers- and I wont even begin to list their faults here. That is for another time and place... Still, out of perhaps 100 icons there is something wrong with just 2 of them.

Ghostery suffers from jumpy-icon syndrome, they have been warned about it- and yet they refuse to fix it. [-(
I thought that the CL icon was fixed because it stuck around and it stopped jumping- but apparently something about it is different.

Now aside from the ability to do minor edits I am not a coder. I am a glorified script-kiddie with a bunch of other talents. Having said that, the evidence I have seen seems to have isolated the problem. Am I wrong? Will this evidence help? Could it be something else?

Assuming it is this simple how will the word get out to developers so that they don't put Mexican jumping beans into their code and repeat this problem? :?:
anewuser

Post by anewuser »

Google Cache links (like http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... en&ct=clnk) and Feedly single feed pages (like http://cloud.feedly.com/#subscription/f ... m/rss2.xml) should be added to the default whitelist.
MC Fat Tongue

Post by MC Fat Tongue »

Hi Diego,

In my previous post I asked you if you would put myibidder.com in the skip domain options. You said were not comfortable doing that and I fully understand why, but I have made a mistake.

I have now discovered that it works better if I put myibidder.com in skip links matching with, I'm not conversant with reg ex but putting |myibidder.com at the end of the skip links matching with works a treat.

Is that something that you would consider putting on the default white list for skip links matching with.

But again I fully understand if its not something you want to do.

Thank you for regularly updating this add-on it just keeps getting better and better.

Regards,
MC Fat Tongue.
Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 »

We haven't heard from Diego in close to a month. I fear that he may have slipped on a banana peel. :(
MC Fat Tongue

Post by MC Fat Tongue »

Diego,

I hope everything is okay with you.
diegocr

Post by diegocr »

Hi folks, i'm fine don't worry :mrgreen: just kinda busy these days.

@Apollo702

Are you aware of some change in the last version of PM related to toolbar buttons? needless to say what you describe is pretty weird if it really isn't available anywhere :(

The only thing which comes to my mind atm that you can do is opening localstore.rdf in a text editor and remove any reference to "cleanlinks" - or it is also gone from there?

@MC/newuser

I'll consider whitelisting that once i have a chance to do some tests, but in any case i don't expect to release a new version until next year and even then it doesn't mean your defined domains will be overwritten ;)

Thanks.
Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 »

Welcome back!

I should clarify my earlier posts. When I said that it vanishes the pattern actually is it vanishes on the first start of every PM update. Then it can be manually placed back on the bars on the 2nd+ start. No other icon suffers from this problem- and I have a LOT of them. Something definitely is different with it.

As far as UI changes in PM I am aware of no recent changes- other than the last version adding a QR icon into the address bar- which I may want to remove. I follow PM developments extremely closely as it is key to many of the things that I do and I know of nothing relevant in this regard.

The only other icon that is having problems is the damn Ghostery icon which insists on jumping with every browser start and I can't get through to their #@*& developers. They also delete all reviews which aren't 5 stars- and I hate to say it but Mozilla essentially is condoning fraud by allowing developers to delete all reviews that they don't like. I think it also is preventing problem solving. If problems get covered up how will they ever get fixed? That isn't very open sourced thinking at all.

What I also think is happening is more people may be suffering from buggy icons than they realize. I suspect that many users aren't that adventurous and they only run one or two add-ons and they don't customize their toolbars. This means that some of these problems probably are there- but since they only have one or two icons they might not see the bugs.
diegocr

Post by diegocr »

Apollo702 wrote:it vanishes on the first start of every PM update.

Oh, er.. ok, got it, that issue again - no clue atm then, thought it was fixed :oops:

Apollo702 wrote:They also delete all reviews which aren't 5 stars- and I hate to say it but Mozilla essentially is condoning fraud by allowing developers to delete all reviews that they don't like. I think it also is preventing problem solving.

Well, I can say for sure that Add-On Developers cannot delete reviews, they/we can only flag them and AMO editors will take care ensuring they meet the Review Guidelines.

Reviews just containing bug reports or support requests are deleted, since we have the Support site and/or Support E-mail for that.
anewuser

Post by anewuser »

diegocr wrote:@MC/newuser

I'll consider whitelisting that once i have a chance to do some tests, but in any case i don't expect to release a new version until next year and even then it doesn't mean your defined domains will be overwritten ;)

Add Google Images "search by image" links too. See an example on this page.
Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 »

Well, I can say for sure that Add-On Developers cannot delete reviews, they/we can only flag them and AMO editors will take care ensuring they meet the Review Guidelines.
Reviews just containing bug reports or support requests are deleted, since we have the Support site and/or Support E-mail for that.

Forgive me for going OT- but (some-not all)developers regularly take any criticism and call it a misplaced bug report and get reviews deleted- and Mozilla continually lets them get away with it.

I personally have written many of them and I have seen others who said nothing wrong have their reviews vanish. The only thing that they did wrong was saying things that developers didn't like.

Combine this with the rampant and blatant sock-puppet accounts and Mozilla rounding up and the reviews truly cannot be trusted. :^o
diegocr

Post by diegocr »

Apollo702 wrote:Forgive me for going OT- but (some-not all)developers regularly take any criticism and call it a misplaced bug report and get reviews deleted- and Mozilla continually lets them get away with it.

I personally have written many of them and I have seen others who said nothing wrong have their reviews vanish. The only thing that they did wrong was saying things that developers didn't like.

I see. well, my only advice is to report it at the Mozilla Forums

Apollo702 wrote:Combine this with the rampant and blatant sock-puppet accounts and Mozilla rounding up and the reviews truly cannot be trusted. :^o

What i can say in my experience is that we can't trust on reviews for add-ons released by companies mainly, you just have to read the last review on my AMO profile to know what i'm talking about.

I suggested Mozilla Staff to make a way to identify and link different accounts created by the same person, and i'm hoping to see that someday implemented...

@anewuser:

That wouldn't involve a simple whitelisting, but i'll check what i can do when i get a chance, thanks.