Tab Preview Discussion

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Ria

Post by Ria »

I'm having a problem with TabPreview at the moment: it jumps or disappears after one second. It seems to have problems with tooltips.
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

Using recent en-US trunk nightlies on Windows, Tab Preview works as advertised; but using the equivalent recent en-GB trunk nightlies with the same profile, the preview area is always filled grey.

Any idea why? :)
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Greg K Nicholson wrote:Using recent en-US trunk nightlies on Windows, Tab Preview works as advertised; but using the equivalent recent en-GB trunk nightlies with the same profile, the preview area is always filled grey.

Any idea why? :)

Greg: check about:buildconfig, make sure it has --enable-canvas
Greg K Nicholson

Ted Mielczarek wrote:Greg: check about:buildconfig, make sure it has --enable-canvas

Aha - it doesn't. Thanks.
Ria

Post by Ria »

Sorry - I had forgotten my post. Screenshots of the problem (tooltip makes tabpreview jump away after 1 second):

With the tabs on the bottom it does not jump but disappears simply.
The problem began a few days before I reported it here. It still continues in the latest hourly. Tested several times on a empty profile on different Win XP computers.

Regressed between ID:2005070708 and ID:2005070711.
Greg K Nicholson

Ria wrote:Sorry - I had forgotten my post. Screenshots of the problem (tooltip makes tabpreview jump away after 1 second):

[snip]

The problem began a few days before I reported it here. It still continues in the latest hourly. Tested several times on a empty profile on different Win XP computers.

Before this began happening, the tooltips weren't appearing at all (whether by design or not).
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

any new versions of this, plus the download link isn't working.
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

^sorry is working just didnt when i cliked on the link, had to drag and drop into extension manager
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

Greg K Nicholson wrote:
Ria wrote:Sorry - I had forgotten my post. Screenshots of the problem (tooltip makes tabpreview jump away after 1 second):

[snip]

Before this began happening, the tooltips weren't appearing at all (whether by design or not).

That was by design. I'll have to look at that. It was pretty fragile code anyway.

-Ted
indicavia

Post by indicavia »

Any progress on this?
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

indicavia wrote:Any progress on this?

I swear I'll fix it this week or next! I've been really busy. Hey, at least FF1.5 isn't out of beta yet. :)

-Ted
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

0.3 is available, including Mike's cool options panel. Also fixes that tooltip problem.
http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/tabpreview/
ronin712

Post by ronin712 »

Ted,

This is a really cool extension! I have a couple of comments/suggestions:

1) Regarding the preview delay, currently you can either have no delay or a delay for every preview. I think it would be more useful for the setting to control the delay of the first preview, and previews following the first would have zero delay (this is how windows native tool tips work). Rationale: You don't always want to see the previews, hence the first preview delay. But once you get the first preview, you are presuming looking for something so you don't want to wait for subsequent previews.

2) It looks like there is a hard coded maximum for the preview size. It would be nice if you could resize bigger than the current maximum and the options should indicate either what the ranges are or tell you when you enter a value that is out of range.
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

ronin712 wrote:1) Regarding the preview delay, currently you can either have no delay or a delay for every preview. I think it would be more useful for the setting to control the delay of the first preview, and previews following the first would have zero delay (this is how windows native tool tips work). Rationale: You don't always want to see the previews, hence the first preview delay. But once you get the first preview, you are presuming looking for something so you don't want to wait for subsequent previews.

That makes sense, I'll look into doing that.

ronin712 wrote:2) It looks like there is a hard coded maximum for the preview size. It would be nice if you could resize bigger than the current maximum and the options should indicate either what the ranges are or tell you when you enter a value that is out of range.

Unfortunately that limit isn't something I made up, it just seems to be the maximum size I can make a popup, for some reason. I may need to do some more research to figure out why, but I'm not sure it's something I can easily fix. But yes, the options page ought to tell you what the max is.

-Ted
suryoyo

Post by suryoyo »

Guys, I'm getting just a blank outline when clicking on the tabs, there is no preview inside of the square outline. I'm running a 9-21 branch build I think it's 1.5b2 x64 version by mmoy.
Any ideas why it's not working?