[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (for Australis UI)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
e.alimonda

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (for Australis UI)

Post by e.alimonda »

This addon is a life saver!

There are some issues though, at least on Mac OS.

Is there any way to make the legacy status bar icons (for those of us who still have such old addons installed) moveable? They seem to be stuck in a new toolbar below the navigation bar (see screenshot) and it's not possible to move them i.e. to the addon bar.

Also, is it possible to change the 'squared' tab theme that comes with this addon so that on Mac OS X it matches the pre-Australis theme? The Windows-style theme bundled seem to be much larger, [s]and the color (a little too yellowish) doesn't quite fit either[/s].

(edit: nevermind the color - latest dev build fixed it)

There also seems to be a problem with the title bar, as the navigation bar partly (or completely, depending on the 'tabs in titlebar' setting) overlaps it, making the buttons hard to click (not to mention the ugly lien it draws)

Additionally, would it be possible to restore the window title when tabs aren't in the titlebar? It would make it much easier to read than having to put your mouse on the tab title and wait for a tooltip, when the title is larger than the tab width ( = in most cases )

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like after installing the addon and changing the settings so that the tabs are squared and placed on bottom:

This is what the pre-Australis tabs looked like instead (currently running the Holly builds):
Last edited by e.alimonda on November 20th, 2013, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmb74

Post by jmb74 »

irkregent wrote:Maybe I overlooked it, but I don't see a download link for the latest development version, either here in the forum or on the AMO page. Is it meant for public access?

They are in the "code" box in the first post of this thread. Both mediafire and zippyshare links to the dev builds.
irkregent

Post by irkregent »

jmb74 wrote:
irkregent wrote:Maybe I overlooked it, but I don't see a download link for the latest development version, either here in the forum or on the AMO page. Is it meant for public access?

They are in the "code" box in the first post of this thread. Both mediafire and zippyshare links to the dev builds.

Ah--so, yes, I overlooked it. Thanks for the pointer.
Aris

Post by Aris »

fhoshino wrote:Hi, I love how classic theme restorer brings back the classic UI,
I'd like to request some functions:

1. The app button to also show the traditional menu items
like this: http://i.imgur.com/adg7zBH.png

2. The addon bar could be auto hidden and place in the url bar, show when mouse over
like this addon does: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r/?src=api

1. I would like to keep it more "default" for now, but this may happen in the future

2. I talked to the dev of "The Puzzle Piece" add-on. Since his add-on is focused on add-ons bar and does offer more add-on bar tweaks, he is going to add such features to Australis ui once he updated his add-on.

jmb74 wrote:Latest dev build gives a slightly misplaced close button on tabs on linux. i.e. too close to the tab edge.

My fault, the different close button should only appear Windows. I'll fix this.

TheVisitor wrote:Thanks for this addon. I have a small problem, not sure if it can be worked-around or will have to wait (likely forever) for ForecastFox to fix the addon.

I enabled the 'addon bar'
Opened Customize and drag&drop the ForecastFox Addon to the Add-on bar. All is good except:

When I enter 'Addons Panel' normally to see what addons I have ForecastFox will 'revert' back to the Customize Pallet complaining the Error Console about being too wide. ForecastFox is a 'wide' add-on due to the number of icons it can display for say 2 day's of forecast w/ days&nights enabled.

Wed Nov 20 2013 09:33:13
Error: Error: forecastfox-toolbar is too big (259.6000061035156px wide), moving to the palette
Source file: chrome://browser/content/customizableui/toolbar.xml
Line: 469

Anyway to override the 'addon too wide' limit in Australis ?

EDIT: Restarting the browser also removes ForecastFox again to the 'customize pallet'. :(
Also downloading a file caused it for whatever reason to revert back to pallet.

For me Forecastfox toolbar items do not even appear on toolbars or in customize area using nightly builds. Does Forecastfox work on a clean profile without CTR installed for you? I bet it has to be updated to support latest builds.

marty60 wrote:This addon works real well to restore most of the way I had it. Even KrickelKrackel autohide recognizes the replaced addon bar and autohides it in full screen so it's like it was never removed.

One minor problem I'm having is that occasionally the Tabbar loads in a yellow-orange color and then other times it's completely gray. That could be probably be fixed when themes start getting written for Australis but if it stayed gray all the time the default theme would be good enough. Thanks Aris for your all your work.

Please post a screenshot and tell which WinXP theme you are using. CTR supports luna, silver, olive, classic, zune and royale on XP. It does not support the 50 color variations of classic sub themes.

e.alimonda wrote:This addon is a life saver!

There are some issues though, at least on Mac OS.

Is there any way to make the legacy status bar icons (for those of us who still have such old addons installed) moveable? They seem to be stuck in a new toolbar below the navigation bar (see screenshot) and it's not possible to move them i.e. to the addon bar.

Also, is it possible to change the 'squared' tab theme that comes with this addon so that on Mac OS X it matches the pre-Australis theme? The Windows-style theme bundled seem to be much larger, [s]and the color (a little too yellowish) doesn't quite fit either[/s].

(edit: nevermind the color - latest dev build fixed it)

There also seems to be a problem with the title bar, as the navigation bar partly (or completely, depending on the 'tabs in titlebar' setting) overlaps it, making the buttons hard to click (not to mention the ugly lien it draws)

Additionally, would it be possible to restore the window title when tabs aren't in the titlebar? It would make it much easier to read than having to put your mouse on the tab title and wait for a tooltip, when the title is larger than the tab width ( = in most cases )

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like after installing the addon and changing the settings so that the tabs are squared and placed on bottom:
[img]...[/img]

This is what the pre-Australis tabs looked like instead (currently running the Holly builds):
[img]...[/img]

Is there any way to make the legacy status bar icons (for those of us who still have such old addons installed) moveable?
If this buttons/icons are created by another add-on, the add-on probably needs to be updated. There is at least no magic trick to make all items movable. Each one has to be forced manually preferable by their add-ons. The optimal solutions would be, if every add-on dev leaves toolbar buttons/items movable without forcing them to one particular toolbar.

There also seems to be a problem with the title bar
That is not optimal on OSX yet, but why not disable tabs in titlebar setting completely when tabs not on top are used?

Additionally, would it be possible to restore the window title when tabs aren't in the titlebar?
No, window title is 'recreated' by about:config setting 'tabs in titlebar' by Firefox not by this add-on. Prefs window only adds a checkbox for this.

MacOSX tab appearance for tabs not on top setting
I'll will look into it later. I know, tab appearance is more based on Windows tabs than on old Mac tabs, but it is a lot easier to maintain them when they have the same ui base.
Last edited by Aris on November 20th, 2013, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

It looks like Aris has put the links in the Code Box of his OP http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=13195115#p13195115. For the most recent version:

Code: Select all

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1a3sb0gqq8t71kc/CTRv1.0.0.20131120.xpi
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Aris

Post by Aris »

I cannot upload devbuilds (pre, beta) to amo until the add-on gets fully reviewed. Once this happens I will share devbuilds over that channel again.
e.alimonda

Post by e.alimonda »

Aris wrote:Is there any way to make the legacy status bar icons (for those of us who still have such old addons installed) moveable?
If this buttons/icons are created by another add-on, the add-on probably needs to be updated. There is at least no magic trick to make all items movable. Each one has to be forced manually preferable by their add-ons. The optimal solutions would be, if every add-on dev leaves toolbar buttons/items movable without forcing them to one particular toolbar.

Alright, as I suspected, thank you for confirming this.

Aris wrote:There also seems to be a problem with the title bar
That is not optimal on OSX yet, but why not disable tabs in titlebar setting completely when tabs not on top are used?

Additionally, would it be possible to restore the window title when tabs aren't in the titlebar?
No, window title is 'recreated' by about:config setting 'tabs in titlebar' by Firefox not by this add-on. Prefs window only adds a checkbox for this.

Ahh, now I realize what really happened in that screenshot. My 'tabs in titlebar' setting was disabled (of course, if I place my tabs on bottom, why would I want to draw them in the titlebar after all) - but after you go into Customization mode and then leave it, Firefox decides to draw them into the titlebar again, regardless of what the addon setting says. If I go into the addon settings and toggle it on and back off (or close and reopen Firefox), it fixes the position, but everytime I go into customization mode, it breaks it again. Addon or Firefox fault?

MacOSX tab appearance for tabs not on top setting
I'll will look into it later. I know, tab appearance is more based on Windows tabs than on old Mac tabs, but it is a lot easier to maintain them when they have the same ui base.

Indeed, I see your point here. The appearance isn't really a problem, but the size is. Which selectors would I need to target if I wanted to work around it through some userstyle, at least for the time being?
juanj78

Post by juanj78 »

I have a few questions for OsX
- Is it possible to put the Firefox button in the title bar?
- Or display the same way as the purple 'mask' button as in 'private' browsing mode?
- Possible to let the tabs look it bit more like pre australis?
Last edited by juanj78 on November 20th, 2013, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Aris, in XP I'm using the Classic Theme.

What I did was add this css code and it seems to be ok:

.tabbrowser-tabs {
background-color: -moz-Dialog

!important;
Aris

Post by Aris »

e.alimonda wrote:No, window title is 'recreated' by about:config setting 'tabs in titlebar' by Firefox not by this add-on. Prefs window only adds a checkbox for this.

Ahh, now I realize what really happened in that screenshot. My 'tabs in titlebar' setting was disabled (of course, if I place my tabs on bottom, why would I want to draw them in the titlebar after all) - but after you go into Customization mode and then leave it, Firefox decides to draw them into the titlebar again, regardless of what the addon setting says. If I go into the addon settings and toggle it on and back off (or close and reopen Firefox), it fixes the position, but everytime I go into customization mode, it breaks it again. Addon or Firefox fault?
[/quote]

Probably Firefox. Tabs in titlebar setting isn't stable even without CTR.

Indeed, I see your point here. The appearance isn't really a problem, but the size is. Which selectors would I need to target if I wanted to work around it through some userstyle, at least for the time being?

Margins, padding, width and height of .tabbrowser-tab, .tabbrowser-tabs, .tab-stack and .tab-content could be a good start, if you want to tweak tab sizes.

Look into \content\css\tabs_squared.css for more info.

marty60 wrote:Aris, in XP I'm using the Classic Theme.

.tabbrowser-tabs {

!important;

I will look into this.
Last edited by Aris on November 20th, 2013, 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Edds

Post by Edds »

I have a small suggestion. It's about tweaking appearance for hovering over buttons and pressing buttons (don't know how to explain) on toolbar for better pre-australis feel. However it's not so important.
Laptop: Intel Core i5 1240P | 16GB DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 1080p | Win 11
Phone: Samsung S24 Ultra | Android 14
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Aris wrote:
For me Forecastfox toolbar items do not even appear on toolbars or in customize area using nightly builds. Does Forecastfox work on a clean profile without CTR installed for you? I bet it has to be updated to support latest builds.

Yes, I can install it in a new Profile, other existing profiles I use for testing it would not install. Its tricky. I already had it installed before Australis so it did appear in the Customize-panel.
It will try to install itself to the addon-bar be default. It can be dragged from the Customize-panel to the navbar, or the tabbar, but the width limit of 100px causes it to drop back into the Customize-panel.
The error is showing that the default settings of ForecastFox are approx 256 pix or slightly more.

After much playing around, and I have no idea why, but I finally have it working with CTR in the addon bar.

The author of ForecastFox has been looking for over a year to take up the addon as he has no time for it, and what few fixes he has issued has taken weeks/months to arrive, and the latest fix is still not on AMO.
The current version is 2.2.4 (available https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... tfox-users, if you dig around in the posts) but AMO has 2.2.2 PM me if you want with your email, and I'll try to send the
latest xpi to you. I always download / save my addons for quick local restore and profile building/testing.

Thanks for you time and consideration.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Edds wrote:I have a small suggestion. It's about tweaking appearance for hovering over buttons and pressing buttons (don't know how to explain) on toolbar for better pre-australis feel. However it's not so important.

Lets hear. You also can use Classic Toolbar Buttons 1.3.3pre builds to restore pre-Fx13 buttons.

TheVisitor wrote:Yes, I can install it in a new Profile, other existing profiles I use for testing it would not install. Its tricky. I already had it installed before Australis so it did appear in the Customize-panel.
It will try to install itself to the addon-bar be default. It can be dragged from the Customize-panel to the navbar, or the tabbar, but the width limit of 100px causes it to drop back into the Customize-panel.
The error is showing that the default settings of ForecastFox are approx 256 pix or slightly more.

After much playing around, and I have no idea why, but I finally have it working with CTR in the addon bar.

The author of ForecastFox has been looking for over a year to take up the addon as he has no time for it, and what few fixes he has issued has taken weeks/months to arrive, and the latest fix is still not on AMO.
The current version is 2.2.4 (available https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... tfox-users, if you dig around in the posts) but AMO has 2.2.2 PM me if you want with your email, and I'll try to send the
latest xpi to you. I always download / save my addons for quick local restore and profile building/testing.

Thanks for you time and consideration.

Ok managed to install 2.2.4.
- clean profile on Fx 27 for example
- install Forecastfox
- move it to nav-bar
- switch to Fx28 Australis
- move to other toolbars

It looks fine for me everywhere.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Aris wrote:
marty60 wrote:Aris, in XP I'm using the Classic Theme.

.tabbrowser-tabs {

!important;

I will look into this.

That code only changed the color of the Tabbar background but not the background color of the buttons on the tabbar, that's still yellow. Would you know offhand what code I could use to change that as well?
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

Hey Aris, first, thanks for update :)

Is there any way to set radius for app button to 0, I've look in xpi, but I don't know how You have set radius there or I've look in wrong place :D