[EXT] Download Status Bar

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Centauri39

Re: [EXT] Download Status Bar

Post by Centauri39 »

Hi xadiCanione,

meanwhile, because of the end of the XP support, I moved on to Linux Mint 16 MATE.

Usually you can enable (or disable) DSB by using CTRL+Alt+D.
On Mint (and probably all other Linux distros as well) this keyboard shortcut also hides all open windows.

To solve this conflict, I had to open the control center of Mint, go to the settings for keyboard shortcuts,
look for the line "Hide all ordinary windows and focus the desktop"
(I hope, I've translated this line properly, because I'm on a german system)
and change CTRL+Alt+D into let's say CTRL+Shift+Alt+D.

Though I should tell you about this. :)
topoldo

Post by topoldo »

Centauri39 wrote:Usually you can enable (or disable) DSB by using CTRL+Alt+D.
On Mint (and probably all other Linux distros as well) this keyboard shortcut also hides all open windows.
To solve this conflict, I had to open the control center of Mint, go to the settings for keyboard shortcuts,
look for the line "Hide all ordinary windows and focus the desktop"
(I hope, I've translated this line properly, because I'm on a german system)
and change CTRL+Alt+D into let's say CTRL+Shift+Alt+D.

You open a window
about:config
and search for the string:
extensions.downloadbar.keyshortcut
Here you can change "d" with another letter you fit better to your needs.
In my case I have a conflict with another FF extension I use, ie "Brief" which is activated by ALT+CTRL+d, too.
In this case I simply modified "d" with "b" and now it works (see some posts by xadiCanione and myself in the last two pages of this thread).
I have only a little problem: the first time I use the shortcut in a FF session, I have to press keys combination twice before it could work.

Cheers,
Topoldo
Centauri39

Post by Centauri39 »

OK, this may be another solution. Thanks for the tipp.
I just wonder, you have to press those keys twice?
Are you sure you didn't replace one conflict with another one?
Leaving the shortcuts for DSB and the whole FF the way they are and changing the shortcut
within the Mint control center works great for me.
So far, I didn't notice any conflict anymore.

EDIT:
I just had an idea (sorry for the off-topic).
Isn't there an add-on being able to show each and every shortcut used in FF an all add-ons installed,
and compare them to a shortcut you are trying to use?
As a result of this comparison, that add-on could tell you "shortcut free" or "shortcut used already" or so.
So you would be warned whether or not you are about to produce a conflict by changing any shortcut.
Wouldn't it be a nice idea for a new add-on?
MistaTom

Post by MistaTom »

@topoldo

In this case I simply modified "d" with "b" and now it works...
I have only a little problem: the first time I use the shortcut in a FF session, I have to press keys combination twice before it could work.

This may or may not be the reason but "Ctrl + Alt + b" is used by "Firebug".
I changed my DSB shortcut to "Ctrl + Alt + \" and it works fine, first time.

You may not even use "Firebug" but, well, a conflict with another extension was the reason a shortcut combo didn't work for me.

Regards.
MrTom.
topoldo

Post by topoldo »

MistaTom wrote:@topoldo
In this case I simply modified "d" with "b" and now it works...

This may or may not be the reason but "Ctrl + Alt + b" is used by "Firebug".
I changed my DSB shortcut to "Ctrl + Alt + \" and it works fine, first time.

You were right! Tnx!
I changed my shortcut to ALT+CTRL+9 and now the combination works immediately!
Unfortunately I had no success using "\" or ">" or any other special key.
Only A-Z, a-z and 0-9 work in my hands. No idea why.
I'm presently with Windows 7 anf FF 28 in Italian.

Cheers,
Topoldo
MistaTom

Post by MistaTom »

topoldo wrote:Unfortunately I had no success using "\" or ">" or any other special key.

Strange, I tried changing the useragent language to Italian and "Ctrl + Alt + \" still worked fine.
Based on this I'd say that it's Windows that is preventing those combos, not FF.
Why? Who knows, its Windows, it has its own rules which nobody knows, not even MS.

No matter, glad its sorted for you.

Regards.
MrTom.
xadiCanione

Post by xadiCanione »

Selmo wrote:Hi!

I used the old statusbar, was my favorit. But its didn't work in Nightly, and I can't find any similar addon. (And Australis came out, and I'm using Pale Moon now.) I use Flashgot with FDM now, and I love the download limit and queue. I often download big files, and its pathetic when 20+ file is downloading like 50k speed. (And thanks to Murphy always the first video is the last.) And who have the time and patient to dwonload one by one? So there is a question: it is possible the same function on DSB? Something like:
checkbox download limit to 1 if file size is bigger than %MB% megabyte.
%MB% is variable, I think the default value is 50 or so is good or leave blank is good to. Don't sure, how is this possible, building a queue list or maybe the other download is autopaused until the first big file downloading. Maybe not so many user will use this, its a "power user feature", but if you can do this, thats could be fantastic.
Oh just came out a secondary option like: ignore the download limit if file size is less than 2 mb or similar so people can still download pictures or lesser files.

Hi Selmo,

Thank you so much for your review and suggestions. Great idea. After I freeze main features and interface, I will continue on developing Download Manager features which will include limit capabilities. Meanwhile, if you would like to, you can manually pause all downloads by "Pause All Downloads" from Downloads menu and resume the intended download by right clicking on it and selecting Resume from context menu.

Cheers
xadiCanione

Post by xadiCanione »

full_interest wrote:
xadiCanione wrote:
full_interest wrote:Nah, it's not a good idea, Windows and Linux are different, it make shit, before I was linking the same profile between win and linux, and it make some shit...

Hi full_interest,

I see. You can copy appropriate preferences from prefs.js inside profile folder and paste it into new profile prefs.js while firefox is closed.

Cheers
There's an order to respect or can paste it anywhere?

Hi full_interest,

You can append it bottom but Firefox needs to be closed meanwhile. Also file paths may differ from Windows to Linux so you need to properly modify them. If possible use the Options window to better stay away from unexpected issues by modifying prefs.js

Cheers
xadiCanione

Post by xadiCanione »

Centauri39 wrote:OK, this may be another solution. Thanks for the tipp.
I just wonder, you have to press those keys twice?
Are you sure you didn't replace one conflict with another one?
Leaving the shortcuts for DSB and the whole FF the way they are and changing the shortcut
within the Mint control center works great for me.
So far, I didn't notice any conflict anymore.

EDIT:
I just had an idea (sorry for the off-topic).
Isn't there an add-on being able to show each and every shortcut used in FF an all add-ons installed,
and compare them to a shortcut you are trying to use?
As a result of this comparison, that add-on could tell you "shortcut free" or "shortcut used already" or so.
So you would be warned whether or not you are about to produce a conflict by changing any shortcut.
Wouldn't it be a nice idea for a new add-on?

Hi Centauri39,

Good idea. Such an add-on can detect add-on conflicts but as your case Operating System level conflicts still may create issues and they are hard to trace. Manually modifying short-cuts to solve conflicts is not efficient but working for our case.

Cheers
MistaTom

Post by MistaTom »

FireFox: 28.0 | 29.0 Beta | 31.0a1 Nightly (2014-03-26) | Pale Moon (24.4.1 (x64))
Download Status Bar: 8.5.0
Forecastfox: 2.2.2

Tested v8.5.0 and all seems to be ok so far.

Not really bugs but just a couple of things noted......

The "Help" page has had some updates recently but there is still no reference to the about:config changes that can be made. (enableleftclickpopup, keyshortcut etc)
Any new users, or anyone who hasn't read any of the posts here, (Which is probably 99% of users), will not be aware that these options exist.
It may be that these are temporary and that you intend to include them in the actual "Options" dialog at some point, but if not then I think there should be something in the "Help" page about them.

Also in the "Help" page you make reference to the download item "Right Click" context menu, in which you explain what the "Open Containing Folder" option does......well, this option is actually "Show File" in the context menu and not "Open Containing Folder".

I've mentioned this label before as I think "Open Containing Folder" is much better and far more descriptive of what the option does......"Show File" is too ambiguous and could mean anything!
"Launch" is also a little strange, who "Launches" anything? Most users are used to seeing "Run" or "Execute". I can't speak for any other OS than Win7, (& XP R.I.P), but I've never seen "Launch" used anywhere.....likewise "Show File".
"Run" and "Open Containing Folder" on the other hand are used both in the OS and the software that runs, (see what I mean), on it.

I just think this minor change would keep DSB inline with the protocol used by everyone else. (Even MS!)

Thanks again for all your hard work on DSB.

Regards.
MrTom.
xadiCanione

Post by xadiCanione »

MistaTom wrote:OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
FireFox: 28.0 | 29.0 Beta | 31.0a1 Nightly (2014-03-26) | Pale Moon (24.4.1 (x64))
Download Status Bar: 8.5.0
Forecastfox: 2.2.2

Tested v8.5.0 and all seems to be ok so far.

Not really bugs but just a couple of things noted......

The "Help" page has had some updates recently but there is still no reference to the about:config changes that can be made. (enableleftclickpopup, keyshortcut etc)
Any new users, or anyone who hasn't read any of the posts here, (Which is probably 99% of users), will not be aware that these options exist.
It may be that these are temporary and that you intend to include them in the actual "Options" dialog at some point, but if not then I think there should be something in the "Help" page about them.

Also in the "Help" page you make reference to the download item "Right Click" context menu, in which you explain what the "Open Containing Folder" option does......well, this option is actually "Show File" in the context menu and not "Open Containing Folder".

I've mentioned this label before as I think "Open Containing Folder" is much better and far more descriptive of what the option does......"Show File" is too ambiguous and could mean anything!
"Launch" is also a little strange, who "Launches" anything? Most users are used to seeing "Run" or "Execute". I can't speak for any other OS than Win7, (& XP R.I.P), but I've never seen "Launch" used anywhere.....likewise "Show File".
"Run" and "Open Containing Folder" on the other hand are used both in the OS and the software that runs, (see what I mean), on it.

I just think this minor change would keep DSB inline with the protocol used by everyone else. (Even MS!)

Thanks again for all your hard work on DSB.

Regards.
MrTom.

Hi MistaTom,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

You are right. I will update options window and include those options in an Advanced section. I did not include those power user details in help page because modifying about:config is a bit error prone. But as you said they need to be disclosed either in Help page or Options window.

Which locale do you use? The translator of your localization should have changed "Show File" to "Open Containing Folder". en-US locale Help Page displays it as "Show File".

As you may already know, the add-on was intended for and based on Firefox 26. Because of new Downloads.jsm module, I tried to copy the method names of module to create consistency and imply new Firefox 26 modules. Launch was one of them. And for context menu, "Open Containing Folder" was a bit long which was pushing context menu width too far for initial versions and I used lesser version "Show File". They both got some complaints from users which is understandable. It was different from what people got used to. I will provide an options interface that will allow users can modify the strings and hide and show specific menu options.

Thanks again for your time on suggesting for add-on.

Cheers
MistaTom

Post by MistaTom »

xadiCanione wrote:I did not include those power user details in help page because modifying about:config is a bit error prone.

Fair enough.

xadiCanione wrote:Which locale do you use?

en-GB

xadiCanione wrote:The translator of your localization should have changed "Show File" to "Open Containing Folder".

Errrr I've searched the entire code and "Open Containing Folder" appears nowhere within it. How can localization change it when its not coded to do so? I'm confused on that one! :?

xadiCanione wrote:en-US locale Help Page displays it as "Show File".

You are right......totally my fault. :oops:
As I prefer "Open Containing Folder" I've re-coded things to show this....I forgot that the "Help" file also got changed too....and it was from my version that I took that screen-grab, sorry.
Please accept my appologies.
The fact remains though that your original code doesn't contain "Open Containing Folder".(See above)

xadiCanione wrote:I tried to copy the method names of module to create consistency...

Totally understandable.....from the developers point of view, but the end-user doesn't need to use the "method / function" name....so it can be called something more user-friendly.

xadiCanione wrote:And for context menu, "Open Containing Folder" was a bit long ... They both got some complaints from users which is understandable.

LOL. You can't please everyone all of the time eh?

xadiCanione wrote:It was different from what people got used to.

Really?

Its used by Firefox, so, what has everyone else been looking at? :?

Regards.
MrTom.

PS. Don't take any of that too seriously, apart from the "translator of your localization"....that genuinely has me stumped.
xadiCanione

Post by xadiCanione »

MistaTom wrote:PS. Don't take any of that too seriously, apart from the "translator of your localization"....that genuinely has me stumped.

Hi MistaTom,

Some non-English translators use their own strings instead of add-on's default strings. I did not interfere to see what how things go. It will be another issue to look into in future.

MistaTom wrote:Its used by Firefox, so, what has everyone else been looking at?

Sorry, I meant "Launch and Show File were different from what people got used to." I was not implying Open Containing Folder. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Cheers
Vulcannis

Post by Vulcannis »

Since around FF 27 or so there's been a bug where if FF is left open for days extra download bars are opened after a certain length of time. Once they appear, downloading files will open (and auto close) a new bar, but the empty extra bars continue to sit there taking up space. They can't be closed, though the other right-click menu items do work normally. With the plugin version from a couple weeks ago the new bar would have some recently downloaded files shown as well (2 entries for each, actually,) but with the current version they are just empty.

I updated to 8.5.0 a couple days ago, and as usual for the first day everything worked normally. Yesterday a new empty bar appeared, and rather than restarting FF I left it open. Now today there's 2 empty bars, which I've never seen before. The first one seems to take about one a day or so to show up normally, maybe it's really one per day? Restarting FF gets rid of them... but I prefer to leave my browser open for days to weeks so this is pretty annoying.

Is there any other info you would like? I am a dev, though not an extension writer, so let me know what to check for and I can poke around a bit. Oh, and the only options I have turned on are clear after launching, confirm before deleting, and auto close on a file type.
Splat-NJ

Post by Splat-NJ »

I reviewed this extension and the author requested a screenshot but I can't figure how to attach/add one. I'm running FF v28 with DSB 8.5.0 but since about 2 releases ago of DSB I haven't been able to fully clear the download status bar. Hitting the clear button sometimes clears only a few files or clears all. I don't understand why it does this.
Splat