[EXT] Download Status Bar

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
AnotherLife

Re: [EXT] Download Status Bar

Post by AnotherLife »

Oh crap, at some point Delete doesn't work when using "Open" instead of "Save" on the save dialog.
PC Martin Seattle

Post by PC Martin Seattle »

Hi ---

Thank you for a fantastically useful extension. The checksum feature is very convenient!

I'm currently using Download Status Bar 12.3.0.1 signed in Pale Moon 25.6.0 (x64) and have occasionally run into the following problem for at least several months:

Sometimes, when a download terminates because of an error, it cannot be canceled or cleared from the Download Status Bar and the terminated download remains on the Download Status Bar between browsing sessions. The most recent time this happened, disabling and re-enabling the Download Status Bar extension made the spurious download go away. Previously, I have had to uninstall and re-install the extension to get rid of it.

I wish I could test this for you in Firefox x86 (or in Firefox x64 nightlies), but I no longer use Firefox often enough to have run into download errors in it.

Apart from this occasional minor annoyance, Download Status Bar is working great for me in Pale Moon.

Since I mentioned how much I liked the checksum feature, I do have one idea about that. Calculating file hashes can take a while for really big files (e.g., the ISO for the PCLinuxOS "FullMonty" distribution). Would it be worthwhile to give users the option of having Download Status Bar automatically calculate a downloaded file's various file hashes in background and cache or store them as soon as the download is complete? That way, they wouldn't have to be calculated on the fly when the user gets around to checking them. My guess is that most users wouldn't find this worth the additional background resource usage ... but people who regularly download large files might.

Thanks again for a great extension.
HughHyatt

Post by HughHyatt »

xadiCanione wrote:
HughHyatt wrote:When I start Firefox, the Download Status Bar appears at the bottom of the window and I have to manually close it to make it go away. What do I have to do to have it closed when Firefox starts? I'm running version 11.0.0 on Firefox 30.0 over Linux Mint 16 (petra) with the following DSB preferences set:

Options
  • ☒ Ask confirmation before deleting downloaded file
  • Double click functionality for Download Item = Launch
  • Automatically close download bar when all download complete after "1" seconds
  • Disable scan for these file types: png,jpg,gif
  • Audio file path = Default Sound
  • ☒ Play notification sound when the download is complete
Appearance
  • Download speed
    • 0 - 100 KB/s = #FF0000
    • 100 - 500 KB/s = #FF7F00
    • 500 - 1000 KB/s = #BFFF00
    • Over > 1000 KB/s = #00FF00
  • User Interface
    • ⊙ Download Bar
  • Progress Notifications
    • ☒ Progress
    • ☒ Speed
    • ☒ Remaining Time
  • Progress Alignment
    • ⊙ Horizontal
  • Buttons
    • Button Type: ⊙ Iconic
  • Download Item
    • Width = 150
    • Height = 22
    • File name font size = 11
    • Progress font size = 11

Hi HughHyatt,

Thank you so much for your review and kind words.

From Options window, please tick the "Clean completed downloads when Firefox quits" option.

Cheers

This problem has cropped up again with Firefox 40.0.3 on both Windows 7 Professional SP1 and Linux Mint 17.2. I have tried various combinations of options, none of which seem to alter the fact that Firefox opens with the Download Status Bar open.
Use open source software; with no walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates? — Luis Pinto

(Linux Mint 20.3 (una)/Win10) Firefox 107.0 (64-bit), Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10210U CPU @ 1.60GHz
andrybak

Post by andrybak »

Can padding be added to the status bar? On top and bottom, so that buttons don't stick to the border?
lashkevi

Post by lashkevi »

It is impossible to change notification sound volume (the volume slide does not work) on Firefox 40 (and several previous versions I used) on Linux (OpenSUSE 13.1, x64).
vertigoelectric

Post by vertigoelectric »

andrybak wrote:Can padding be added to the status bar? On top and bottom, so that buttons don't stick to the border?

I found out recently that you can actually use CSS to customize the UI of Firefox. To point you in the right direction, try this post here: http://superuser.com/questions/749165/h ... -using-css ...or just do a Google search for "customize firefox UI with CSS"
vertigoelectric

For me, the download bar won't close automatically after the specified number of seconds I set in the options. It just stays there until I close it manually. Not a huge deal, but if I could get that feature working that would be terrific.
andrybak

Post by andrybak »

vertigoelectric wrote:
andrybak wrote:Can padding be added to the status bar? On top and bottom, so that buttons don't stick to the border?

I found out recently that you can actually use CSS to customize the UI of Firefox. To point you in the right direction, try this post here: http://superuser.com/questions/749165/h ... -using-css ...or just do a Google search for "customize firefox UI with CSS"

Unfortunately, XUL elements of this extension aren't available in chrome://browser/content/browser.xul page.

I use userChrome.css and userContent.css extensively.
vertigoelectric

andrybak wrote:
vertigoelectric wrote:

Unfortunately, XUL elements of this extension aren't available in chrome://browser/content/browser.xul page.

I use userChrome.css and userContent.css extensively.

Right. They wouldn't be part of the stock CSS files. However, you can use the DOM Inspector to figure it out. Then you can just add it to the CSS files.

Try this:

Code: Select all

#downloadbar-bar {padding-top:5px!important;padding-bottom:5px!important;}

It worked for me. This is before:

...and this is after:

Notice the added padding.
vertigoelectric

vertigoelectric wrote:For me, the download bar won't close automatically after the specified number of seconds I set in the options. It just stays there until I close it manually. Not a huge deal, but if I could get that feature working that would be terrific.

By the way, the autoclose feature seems to be working now. Not sure why it wasn't before.
Jost0123

Post by Jost0123 »

Enhancement Request: Automatic Clear after Delete

Many times I download temporary files that I do not need to keep. After I have finished with them I use the "Delete File" selection from the context menu. This brings up the confirmation dialog as expected and I confirm my intent. However, the downloaded file still appears on the status bar. Since the file is no longer on my system there are no further actions I need to perform and would like the entry to be automatically cleared from the status bar.

The Options screen has selections for clearing the item after launching or showing. Perhaps this could be another option selection.
thenonhacker

Post by thenonhacker »

Hi guys!

I just updated to Firefox 43.0.2 for Windows 10 (64-bit).

After restarting Firefox, I noticed that the following functionality doesn't work anymore:

+ Clear
+ Clear All (Broom Button at the far right of the Download Status Toolbar)

Even if I restart Firefox, the Download History doesn't get cleared.
The only workaround is to Close the toolbar (but the finished downloads are still intact).

Also another BUG:

+ The download progress intermittently doesn't display as 100% complete (e.g. they stop at 99%), however, if you check the file you just downloaded, you'll see that it's 100% finished and OK.

SUGGESTION:

+ Make the Download Status Bar work in sync with Firefox Download History.

Please fix this bug!
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

thenonhacker wrote:Hi guys!

I just updated to Firefox 43.0.2 for Windows 10 (64-bit).

After restarting Firefox, I noticed that the following functionality doesn't work anymore:

+ Clear
+ Clear All (Broom Button at the far right of the Download Status Toolbar)

Even if I restart Firefox, the Download History doesn't get cleared.
The only workaround is to Close the toolbar (but the finished downloads are still intact).
BUMP!

The above is still happening for me on Fx 43.0.3. On 43.0.2 the audible 'download completed' alert stopped working too, but it's now back.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Version 12.3.0.1-signed of this extension stopped working with Nightly (Fx46) on 07 Jan16. It's a wonderful extension and it would be great if you could update it.

Thanks very much. Please keep up your great work!
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
PirateKing42

Post by PirateKing42 »

There is a fault with the handling of the options when virus scanning.

My setup has the virus scanner arguments set thus:

/CLEAN /ARC /THOROUGHSCAN /REPORT=t:\DownloadStatusbarScan.log /SCAN=%1

When this is expanded and passed out to the command line it has become:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Av\avgscanx.exe" /CLEAN /ARC /THOROUGHSCAN /REPORT=t:\DownloadStatusBarScan.log "/SCAN=R:\System\Win 7\C\Users\mikey\Downloads\5MB.zip"

which is not what AVG is expecting. It should instead be:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Av\avgscanx.exe" /CLEAN /ARC /THOROUGHSCAN /REPORT=t:\DownloadStatusBarScan.log /SCAN="R:\System\Win 7\C\Users\mikey\Downloads\5MB.zip"

If there is a space between the "=" and the filename then the inserted leading speechmark appears in the correct place but AVG does not allow a space to be there.

Cheerio!

Mike