[EXT] Download Status Bar

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Centauri39

Re: [EXT] Download Status Bar

Post by Centauri39 »

@xadiCanione
I just sent you a reply to your PM, but I'm not sure if it worked, because the PM section keeps on telling me, the reply was still in Outbox.
Now, I don't know how to get it into Sent messages.
xadiCanione

Post by xadiCanione »

Hello everyone,

I uploaded another update for Mozilla. Could you please install v1.8.8 and review it?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ions/1.8.8

✓ Download Complete Color
✓ Play notification sound (supports .ogg, .wav, .mp3 file types)
✓ Pause/Start/Cancel buttons
✓ Delete File
✓ Double click on empty bar space will auto clear completed download items

Sorry, I could not properly sent replies for some posts. I was coding add-on to add more features meanwhile. I am reading all posts in this topic and will send replies to each post as soon as I can.

Thanks again for your all help.

Cheers
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

xadiCanione wrote:... I uploaded another update for Mozilla. Could you please install v1.8.8 and review it?...
You are amazing! =D>

I've installed it, but my wife is insisting that we have breakfast before I start testing, so .... see you later. :D
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Centauri39

Post by Centauri39 »

Just tried 1.8.8.
Since I've added the black arrow of the download manager, there's stil this strange effect,
where the download bar is getting bigger when I click the black arrow.
But with 1.8.8, after the download bar got bigger, the lower half of this bar is hiding behind the ordinary status bar of FF.
Masur

Post by Masur »

Hi xadiCanione,

I've just tested 1.8.8. and wanted to share some impressions about your amazing development.

1. As the progress bar itself provides the visual overview of the download giving the numerical value in % is kind of redundant. Do you plan to show time remaining instead/additionally?
2. The same goes for bytes downloaded; as one might not remember how big is the file in total, just bytes downloaded is not helpful really. bytes downl./bytes total would be more useful.
3. And the download speed squized somewhere? Maybe consider smaller font and two lines for such informations?

In summary, I think that the most informative bar would be one including following information about a download: file_name.ext - 0.0 MB/000.0 MB - 0h00m - 0.0 kb/s. What do you think?

4. I downloaded file "name.ext". The download was finished; the bar was/wasn't closed (I tried both) automatically after finishing. Now, I tried to download the same file again; the browser asked do I want to overwrite - yes I want, I started it and no statusbar this time at all, however the download started. If there are multiple downloads at the same time (of different files) and I try to download again the same file (and its progress is visible as completed at the status bar) also nothing happens.

And a question:
1. If I want to clear finished downloads automatically I need to use the option "automatically clear these file types", right? And if I want to have it for ALL downloads shall I put * after 1 sec? '*' for 'all types' or how does it work?

And an offer:
If you plan to translate your tool to other languages, I can offer Polish. Just drop me a message.

And thank you for your time and wonderful work!
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Version 1.8.8
This is what the Options panel looks like on my monitor. I'm not sure why the gray vertical shape is there. It doesn't really bother me at all, though.

And please feel free to ignore my previous request about getting the extension to remove the downloaded items from the Fx download panel. I have Fx set to eliminate everything when I close the program or do a manual clear, so this is taken care of automatically.

For my purposes, this is now perfect.

This extension is, as far as I can remember, the greatest single "complicated" achievement done in the shortest amount of time over in ten years of dealing with Firefox. (Aris's extension for Australis, I have to say, is even greater, but I'd classify it as "really complicated" and hence requires lots more time.)

Anyway, the dev really deserves a prize for this!

-> @ xadiCanione: If you add a "Contributions via PayPal" button to the extension page, I'll be happy to make a small donation. I'm afraid, though, it won't be enough for a new Mercedes. :oops:
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Masur

Post by Masur »

JoeG wrote:I have Fx set to eliminate everything when I close the program

Hm, is this an in-built option? I cannot find it.
joeg

Post by joeg »

Masur wrote:
JoeG wrote:I have Fx set to eliminate everything when I close the program
Hm, is this an in-built option? I cannot find it.
Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> History. You have a variety of choices.

Hmmmmmmm, are you using Australis???? Is it possible that this has been removed, too? #-o
ranasrule

Post by ranasrule »

small bug...I have the option "Automatically clear these file types" enabled and that seems to be working fine but when it clears all the downlods automatically and no downloads are left on the bar the bar does not close automatically ie its stays open with no downloads
Masur

Post by Masur »

Hm I see it. However I can only remember both history and downloads or neither of them. Not possible to not keep just a download history. Pity.

And I haven't figured out how to clear Download Statusbar from downloaded items (unless I do it manually).
joeg

Post by joeg »

Masur wrote:Hm I see it. However I can only remember both history and downloads or neither of them. Not possible to not keep just a download history. Pity.

And I haven't figured out how to clear Download Statusbar from downloaded items (unless I do it manually).
Ummmmm, down at the very bottom it says "Clear history when Holly closes."

To the right it says "Settings". When you click this, you're given lots of individual possibilities, including - I think - the combination you seem to want.
Yoda_2013

Post by Yoda_2013 »

I m using FF from the very start of its life. I was using Netscape before (Ancient history) but never IE [-X
Having noticed you download extension I decided to open an account here for first time just to tell you about the great job you re doing, =D>
and also propose some improvements :-k

1) There is no difference in viewing a "running" download or a "Paused" download. Please add a symbol or a border or a different color for paused downloads.
2) Add (custom) color to the bars depending on the download speed.
3) Putting a * to automatically clear file types (in order to clear them all after downloading), does not work.
Please add the * option or a [clear all] check box

Thank you :)
joeg

Post by joeg »

Yoda_2013 wrote:I m using FF from the very start of its life. I was using Netscape before (Ancient history) but never IE [-X
Having noticed you download extension I decided to open an account here for first time just to tell you about the great job you re doing, =D> ...
Wow, this is quite a compliment!
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Using version 1.8.8. When right-clicking on files and doing "Show File" I have it set to clear the item from the bar. After I've done this with the last file and the bar is now empty, it remains open. My guess would be to add an option to auto-close the bar once it's cleared of items which applies to all methods that can clear an item from the bar.

The options dialog has no title yet. Would be nice to have a title of some kind.
Lion7718

Post by Lion7718 »

xadiCanione wrote:Hello everyone,

I uploaded another update for Mozilla. Could you please install v1.8.8 and review it?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ions/1.8.8

✓ Download Complete Color
✓ Play notification sound (supports .ogg, .wav, .mp3 file types)
✓ Pause/Start/Cancel buttons
✓ Delete File
✓ Double click on empty bar space will auto clear completed download items

Sorry, I could not properly sent replies for some posts. I was coding add-on to add more features meanwhile. I am reading all posts in this topic and will send replies to each post as soon as I can.

Thanks again for your all help.

Cheers

Damn good job... =D>