[Ext] PrefBar - The all in one button container

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
M-Reimer

Re: [Ext] PrefBar - The all in one button container

Post by M-Reimer »

I've published a "pre-release" which contains an updated colors checkbox. I hope this works for everyone. If there are still problems, please report them so they can be fixed prior to releasing 6.6 final. http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org/#n2015-05-13
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Wouldn't it be safer to check if the new pref exists via GetPref() and then use the new pref instead of doing a browser version check?
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

No as it may be possible, that the same profile is used with different browser versions.
DERoss

Post by DERoss »

I downloaded and installed PrefBar 6.6 RC1 on 16-May-15, only in my primary SeaMonkey profile. I have observed NO problems yet. I must note, however, that I have done little with this version other than using buttons, checkboxes, etc that I already had before this version.
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

PrefBar 7.0 is now available.

As PrefBar 6.6 did not get the review, required to be distributed as update, I had to rewrite a few things. The way, how code is executed, was changed completely. As this is no small change and may cause some buttons to fail (I'll check the buttons in the online database as soon as possible and publish updates where needed) I decided to publish this as "7.0". Please report any problems you find.

This release is prepared for the upcoming "multiprocess support" (electrolysis) in Firefox. I at least tried to keep compatible with older Firefox versions, but I'm only testing with the latest final and with an up-to-date nightly version. If something fails, please report.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

M-Reimer wrote:PrefBar 7.0 is now available.

As PrefBar 6.6 did not get the review, required to be distributed as update, I had to rewrite a few things. The way, how code is executed, was changed completely. As this is no small change and may cause some buttons to fail (I'll check the buttons in the online database as soon as possible and publish updates where needed) I decided to publish this as "7.0". Please report any problems you find.

Well done! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
gbukwa

Post by gbukwa »

Two new howtos available: links appear broken.

GoB
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

Fixed. Thanks for reporting.
DERoss

Post by DERoss »

The URI [url]chrome://passwordmgr/content/passwordManager.xul[/url] launches the old Password Manager. How can I create a PrefBar button that uses this? Or can you do this and add it to your "More Buttons" at http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org/buttons.html?

==========================================================================

Never mind. I found a custom Password button extension at https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/t ... ton_maker/. Since I already have the Toolbar Buttons extension, I downloaded the Password button and then customized my SeaMonkey menu bar to put the button there.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that PrefBar will be affected by nsIOService changes if they decide to remove the deprecated NewChannel() API
PB temporarily stopped working, but Bug 1257339 restored this for now.
Bug 1257339 - Bring back deprecated newChannel() API on nsIIOService

Warning: 'nsIOService::NewChannel()' deprecated, please use 'nsIOService::NewChannel2()'
JSONUtils.js:101

Code: Select all

function ReadJSON(aFile) {
  var istream;
  if (typeof aFile == "string") {
    var ios = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/network/io-service;1"]
      .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIIOService);
    var channel = ios.newChannel(aFile, null, null);
    istream = channel.open();
  }
  else {
    istream = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/network/file-input-stream;1"]
      .createInstance(Components.interfaces.nsIFileInputStream);
    istream.init(aFile, -1, -1, false);
  }
begemoth

Post by begemoth »

I would like to suggest the small patch to extend functionality. How can I have to do?
unbeleevabull

Post by unbeleevabull »

PB 7.0.0.1 is working in latest Waterfox with buttons I had already installed, but can''t import anymore from the tuxfamily extra buttons page (worked about a year ago). Import Dialog shows only OK and Cancel and neither do anything (close with window button). Found similar result with that page in latest SeaMonkey nightly, but there were other, even worse problems (couldn't drag to add built-in buttons). Tried a PB-unsupported browser and the extra buttons page did show Import button but still didn't work. No plain chrome-like FF to test with. Nothing critical and I did get some of the desired functions from the toolbar button maker. EDIT: I was able to use "Download" to save then import in Preferences. No work around for installing built-in buttons.
DERoss

Post by DERoss »

"A few words about the future of PrefBar"

I just read your essay on the future. There is some divergence between Firefox and SeaMonkey. Will PrefBar continue to be compatible with SeaMonkey, my preferred browser?
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

It will keep compatible as long as it is possible to keep it compatible with Firefox. I'm testing each release with SeaMonkey once without going into details. So if there are any problems, I depend on feedback.

We will see what happens as soon as Mozilla decides about the final plan of dropping XUL. I guess most of the PrefBar builtins can be ported to individual Addons, if they not already exist by that time.

I no longer use SeaMonkey at all since many years, so from me there will be no "SeaMonkey only" Addon. Why should I develop something, I can't use myself?

We'll see what happens to SeaMonkey as soon as Mozilla decides to drop Gecko and use Servo as the only backend for the future Firefox. As explained this may still take some years. The small SeaMonkey team will not be able to keep Gecko up-to-date and we'll see if the very small team will be able to base their code on Servo, too.

If SeaMonkey manages to base their code on the new backend, there is a good chance they also get the Web extensions API via the new backend. This would mean that whatever I'll get up with to replace PrefBar may work in SeaMonkey, too. If not directly, then with minimal changes.

If the SeaMonkey team can't handle this change, you only have two options. Port to Firefox which has Web extensions and will run whatever PrefBar replacement will be there at that time, or keep with an outdated browser where updating PrefBar will no longer be required as the API will never change.

Just for my interest: What exact feature of PrefBar do you depend on where you don't think it would be better as individual Addon with maybe a nicer UI (Icons for the button, ...)
DoYouWantKarate

Post by DoYouWantKarate »

M-Reimer wrote:Just for my interest: What exact feature of PrefBar do you depend on where you don't think it would be better as individual Addon with maybe a nicer UI (Icons for the button, ...)
Your "page2Image" button is the only cross-platform, full web page screenshot addon I've found that works in SeaMonkey.

Other than that, I've been using Preferences Toolbar since the beginning and would very much miss being able to toggle core browser features and clear cache with a single click. Needing to hunt down and evaluate separate addons for each one of these things doesn't sound attractive (especially on the current web, where every other piece of software you look at is some flavor of malware and even many once-respectable projects have gone to the dark side).