[Ext] PrefBar - The all in one button container

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Elhem Enohpi

Re: [Ext] PrefBar - The all in one button container

Post by Elhem Enohpi »

Thanks, I put the bookmarklet as a link and it works. So it was easy!

I did find a few features that don't seem to work, for example CSS (tab), and also Reload Window does some bad things. But I don't need those.

My favourite is Javascript (tab). It's helpful when you come to some page that you won't visit again, that's doing something annoying, to just turn it off temporarily for that one tab. There was "Tab Permissions" addon that could do that too, but it's not e10s compatible. I don't know of any others - maybe one to consider for you?
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

If you need a replacement for the "Page2Image" button, you may get one here: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... creenshot/
This one is meant to be a really simple screenshot taking addon. Some minor feature additions may follow in future, but I don't plan to add stuff like "modifying screenshots" or similar. Use the image manipulation software of your choice for this.
notonymous

Post by notonymous »

M-Reimer wrote:
notonymous wrote: Cookie Behavior Menulist
The preference behind this no longer exists for Addons. There is API for managing cookies and to get told when websites set new cookies, but to do something with this, I need to know what exactly you set with "Cookie Behaviour Menulist". Or in other words: For what reason do you use it? I don't use it myself and never used it in the past...
During normal browsing, I don't have cookies enabled. If I run across a site that needs cookies to work, I enable cookies (for that site) but disable third party cookies. On rare occasions, I need to enable third party cookies for a site to work properly.
allande

Post by allande »

Hi. I request the images toggle checkbox (it says its prefstring is permissions.default.image), I use it to speed page loading on a very slow connection when images aren't needed, but then turn them on at times as necessary. I do not know if the toggle can now or later be done as a webextension or a bookmarklet?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

PrefBar is no longer working for me in Firefox 56 beta and the toolbar is empty (Options window still opens via about:addons, but is empty).
Browser Console:
TypeError: PrefBarNS is undefined
cabriolet2

Post by cabriolet2 »

I just updated w10 to FF 56.0 and Prefbar lost all its buttons, it only shows >>.

If I try to import form author's page, I get:

The address wasn’t understood

Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (prefbar) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

I'm really busy with my study and am not at home most of the time.

Maybe I'll find some time this weekend to have a look at this, but please keep in mind that with Firefox 57 PrefBar definitively can no longer work!

I spent several hours of developing replacement addons and creating a migration page:

http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org/migration.html

If I missed something, please tell me!

I'm currently working on a replacement addon for the "Referer" checkbox (the last one I use and have no replacement for). I hope to have this available before FF 57 arrives.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Firefox 57 Developer Edition has a pref setting to enable legacy extensions (extensions.legacy.enabled).

Would it be possible to use PrefBar with Firefox versions that support this pref (DE, Nightly)?
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

No it won't. The pref will disappear (or no longer work) in the final version of FF 57.

And even if it would work. I tried to communicate serveral times, that I'm not sad at all that PrefBar now can be phased out with a good reason to do so. It just sucks to maintain an addon which tries to be some one-for-all thingie if you (as developer) only use about 1% of the features and don't want to test stuff that you don't use at all.

It's much nicer to maintain small addons with just the features you (as developer) need.

And the addons, I did so far, already can do MUCH more than the PrefBar buttons, they replaced, ever were able to do. The "colors" checkbox can work for just one tab and doesn't kill all the other websites you open. The next version will have configurable colors. The "Restore Tab" addon can't just restore tabs, but also allows to pick individual closed tabs from a list. The "Save Screenshot" addon can be configured individually and can't just take a screenshot of the full page but also the viewport region. More to come in future...

You can do much more stuff if you create dedicated addons which do *one* thing and do it right.
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

Fix is on its way, but there is some chance that the review gets rejected (pre-tests complained about my usage of "evalInSandbox"). If this gets a problem, the end of PrefBar may come earlier as initially planned.
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

OK. Forget my last posting. Got review earlier than expected.

LAST VERSION!

Get prepared to replace PrefBar with individual Addons. Here, again, my migration list:
http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org/migration.html
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Thanks for fixing this in Firefox 56.

I still see a problem in Firefox 57 and 58:

TypeError: PrefBranch is undefined[Learn More] main.js:293:7
GetPref chrome://prefbar/content/goprefbar/main.js:293:7
dump chrome://prefbar/content/goprefbar/main.js:251:8
Init chrome://prefbar/content/goprefbar/main.js:67:3
<anonymous> chrome://prefbar/content/goprefbar.jsm:74:1
<anonymous> chrome://prefbar/content/prefbarOverlay.xul:49:5

From 2012:
Bug 718255 - Merge nsIPrefBranch2 with nsIPrefBranch [13]
Bug 752747 - Show compatibility warning if an add-on uses nsIPrefBranch2
Bug 795718 - Remove nsIPrefBranch2 and nsIPrefBranchInternal =>
Bug 1374847 - Remove nsIPrefBranch2 and nsIPrefBranchInternal (FIXED: Firefox 57)

It works if I edit main.js and change nsIPrefBranch2 to nsIPrefBranch.
main.js line 46:
var PrefBranch = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1"]
.getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefBranch);
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

It doesn't make sense to do any fixes for Firefox 57.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

This is only about removing one character because they finally removed support for an interface that has been deprecated for a long time.
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

It's "only" about removing a character, but may break older Firefox versions or SeaMonkey or the (never officially supported) Pale Moon.

If you test your change in:

- Firefox ESR (current version)
- SeaMonkey
- PaleMoon
- Firefox 56

and proove that with screenshots, then (and only then) I'll add this change.

And even if I add this change, I can't mark PrefBar as "supports Firefox 57" as the range, I can choose on addons.mozilla.org for a "legacy addon" is already maxed out.

What exactly keeps you from just searching for alternatives? If there is something missing, you still need, just ask for it.