[EXT] Download Manager (S3)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
megamanx

Re: [EXT] Download Manager (S3)

Post by megamanx »

Is there a way to make the add-on not open a new tab when it is updated, I dislike when it takes focus when I am doing something? At least not take focus, or disable the tab option completely. Using HoldTab add-on, new tabs rarely ever take focus and don't load, so if it can work with that it would be great.
tetomedina

Post by tetomedina »

Hi guys:

I am still using Firefox 56.0.2 but S3 updated itself and can't roll it back to version 4.13, which is not available on AMO. Does anyone have a download link for it?

Thanks in advance.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

If you install Classic Addons Archive from here https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases explained a bit more here https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive and reviewed here https://www.trishtech.com/2018/10/use-o ... s-archive/ you can search classic addons archive, and old versions of Download Manager (S3) might be there. If you find extensions you want to keep you can save them to your computer instead of only installing them, often by right clicking. If you have backups of your old profiles, extensions installed in them often are in .xpi files in the profile. Many are named with the name of the extension, but some have a ID number which you can often google to see what extension it was. You can copy the xpi from the old profile and drag it into a running Firefox browser window to install it.
tetomedina

Post by tetomedina »

lasardo wrote:If you install Classic Addons Archive from here https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases explained a bit more here https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive and reviewed here https://www.trishtech.com/2018/10/use-o ... s-archive/ you can search classic addons archive, and old versions of Download Manager (S3) might be there. If you find extensions you want to keep you can save them to your computer instead of only installing them, often by right clicking. If you have backups of your old profiles, extensions installed in them often are in .xpi files in the profile. Many are named with the name of the extension, but some have a ID number which you can often google to see what extension it was. You can copy the xpi from the old profile and drag it into a running Firefox browser window to install it.
Thanks, indeed the S3 download manager is available on the Classic addons archive. As a side note, I was unable to install the classic addon archive straight forward, I had to download the xpi and install it as a temporary addon from about:debugging. Once there I could run the classic addon and install the addon I wanted to.
grahamperrin

Broken links at AMO

Post by grahamperrin »

At https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/s3download-statusbar/ the first two links in the About section are redundant, since legacy add-on files are no longer served by AMO:
Corresponding URLs in the CAA:
  • caa:addon/download-statusbar
  • caa:addon/s3download-statusbar
google_crawler

Post by google_crawler »

I have multiple issues with this extension:

It doesn't open downloaded files and just opens some useless popup with 'click here to open' srlsy? I've already not only clicked but double clicked to open, so I think I've made my intentions pretty clear.

Also, there is no option to customize time/date format. Really customize it - not just pick something that doesn't apply to me from some short list.

And last but not the least: the order of downloaded files [in the download bar] changes while switching from one tab to the other.
grahamperrin

Post by grahamperrin »

google_crawler wrote: useless popup with 'click here to open' srlsy?
Seriously, what do you mean?
SillyPerson

Post by SillyPerson »

Hi. I've used download statusbar in its different incarnations from the start. Thanks for keeping it up to date.
It's a large thread and search didn't help, sorry if this was discussed already: is there a way to fix statusbar disappearance on New Tab?
I understand it's a WebExtensions issue but something tells me it could be fixed with a few lines in userChrome.css. I experimented but without success. If it's possible I would need someone savvier than me to tell me how.
megamanx

Post by megamanx »

grahamperrin wrote:Seriously, what do you mean?
Since you didn't get a reply, when you double-click the file you downloaded that is showing in the Manager, it gives you a pop-up asking you if you want to install the program/file. It gets annoying, so my alternative open it from the Firefox download list, since I merely use the S3 Manager to perma-delete the files than to hunt the file in my folder. At least that's what I think the user meant.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

SillyPerson wrote:Hi. I've used download statusbar in its different incarnations from the start. Thanks for keeping it up to date.
It's a large thread and search didn't help, sorry if this was discussed already: is there a way to fix statusbar disappearance on New Tab?
I understand it's a WebExtensions issue but something tells me it could be fixed with a few lines in userChrome.css. I experimented but without success. If it's possible I would need someone savvier than me to tell me how.
WebExtensions Limitations:
1. Download Bar not displayed on some sites from mozilla.org and google.com
2. Download Bar not displayed on sites that do not have pages, for example error 404 (page not found)
3. Download Bar not displayed on internal Firefox and GoogleChrome pages, for example about:addons , about:config , chrome://extensions/ , chrome://settings/ , etc.
4. Download Bar not displayed on the extensions pages "moz-extension://...." , "chrome-extension://...."
SillyPerson

Post by SillyPerson »

Thanks for the quick reply but that's your official info which I read. I said I understand it's a WebExtensions issue. But I think I get it now. I thought since ui elements like bookmarks toolbar etc. can be manipulated through userChrome.css, same should be possible for the statusbar. But your extension doesn't modify a built-in element; your statusbar is a custom object and that's why it can't be controled with userChrome.css. Is this correct?
pag77

Post by pag77 »

SillyPerson wrote:Thanks for the quick reply but that's your official info which I read. I said I understand it's a WebExtensions issue. But I think I get it now. I thought since ui elements like bookmarks toolbar etc. can be manipulated through userChrome.css, same should be possible for the statusbar. But your extension doesn't modify a built-in element; your statusbar is a custom object and that's why it can't be controled with userChrome.css. Is this correct?
You can controlled my statusbar with userChrome.css, but I can't create statusbar (WebExtensions Limitations) on NewPage ( about:blank , about:newtab )
SillyPerson

Post by SillyPerson »

Shame. Hopefully future FF versions will allow a persistent statusbar. It's annoying to have it appearing and disappearing as I switch between tabs. Thanks.
Olofern

Post by Olofern »

I installed Turbo Download Manager extension.
It has only a download button history on the toolbar. From it I can open downloaded files without any popup or new tab.
Please, investigate on this behavior, I hope you can remove the horrible new tab and execution button

Thanks
pag77

Post by pag77 »

Olofern wrote:Please, investigate on this behavior, I hope you can remove the horrible new tab and execution button
Thank you!