[EXT] Download Manager (S3)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Sabin

Re: [EXT] Download Manager (S3)

Post by Sabin »

Oh ? Just found this plugin has a mozillazine forum page.

Well, thanks for the plugin :)

If I may mention two small things that would be nice if improved:
- control-W isn't captured and won't allow to close the tab/window of the downloads library. Minor loss of productivity
- when we choose the option to have the downloads shown, not in a tab, but in a different window, the window's size is not remembered when we close and reopen it. Which is a problem, since, at least in my system, the default size is too small and doesn't allow to see everything, for instance the filter field where we can type text isn't visible. Sure, we can enlarge the window with a click-and-drag, but it's non-optimal

Just contructive criticism. Your plugin provided a service I needed, and this is much appreciated :)
pag77

Post by pag77 »

Sabin, thank you for your report :)
ge0k

Post by ge0k »

Thanks for this great extension! I have one question and one problem that I need help with...
  • Options window

Whenever I open the options window, the titlebar is off the top of my screen. As a result, there's no way to move the window without activating the ALT<SP>M command and then using the arrow keys to move it down so the entire thing is visible.

I'm pretty sure the problem is because I have my text size increased above 100%, however, that shouldn't happen. It should just adjust its location, taking the text size into account.

I think this may fall into the category of a bug, but I'm not sure.
  • Execute command

I'd like to do a scan of the downloaded file, but I have no idea what to use as the filename substitution variable.

What should it be? $1? %1? Something else?
Thanks for your help!

-geo
pag77

Post by pag77 »

ge0k wrote:Whenever I open the options window, the titlebar is off the top of my screen. As a result, there's no way to move the window without activating the ALT<SP>M command and then using the arrow keys to move it down so the entire thing is visible....
I'm sorry, but this is a problem in the browser and I can not solve it.
ge0k wrote:I'd like to do a scan of the downloaded file, but I have no idea what to use as the filename substitution variable.

What should it be? $1? %1? Something else?
%1
example for Kaspersky:
Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky\avp.exe
Arguments: scan %1
Jack Black

Post by Jack Black »

Random note for Kaspersky AntiVirus:
Jack Black wrote:AVP.com should be used instead.
cf. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p13671263 (and http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14340653). :wink:
pag77

Post by pag77 »

version 4.05
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/s3download-statusbar/

changes:
fixed: "Automatically continue downloads in the download manager when the browser closes"
updated: French locale (thanks Jack Black)
fixed: minor bug fixes
pag77

Post by pag77 »

andol wrote:Hello.
Use the Download Manager S3.
If I have previously charged that the FF and have closed, remained on the desktop always the window of Download Manager S3.

For some time, the window is gone. When I start the FF again I see at the bottom bar to download and the download also works on.

Can anyone explain why the download window will not appear, and is a solution to the problem here?

greetings
please update and test version 4.05
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/s3download-statusbar/
nonstatik

Post by nonstatik »

I get an "unresponsive script" error when starting FF42 on W7 x86. The script is from this add-on. Firefox doesn't respond for a couple minutes every time I start it. After I can actually use the browser, Firefox also doesn't respond for about 10 seconds the first time I click on S3. After that, it actually works.

This has been going on for at least a few weeks for me. I think it started with 5.04, but I'm not certain. I do know that 5.05 did not fix the issue.

EDIT: For some reason, my FF hadn't been auto-updating. I've just updated manually to FF45, but the problem is still there.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

nonstatik wrote:I get an "unresponsive script" error when starting FF42 on W7 x86. The script is from this add-on. Firefox doesn't respond for a couple minutes every time I start it. After I can actually use the browser, Firefox also doesn't respond for about 10 seconds the first time I click on S3. After that, it actually works.

This has been going on for at least a few weeks for me. I think it started with 5.04, but I'm not certain. I do know that 5.05 did not fix the issue.

EDIT: For some reason, my FF hadn't been auto-updating. I've just updated manually to FF45, but the problem is still there.
you have a big history list of downloaded files?
try to clean it.
Sabin

Post by Sabin »

Hello,

Constructive criticism, in one detail, and a general consideration:

(1) I am relatively annoyed by one element adding itself to the UI and, this is the important part, that cannot be permanently removed, apparently.
See this image:
(if hotlinking fails: http://i.imgur.com/wnWbjpw.jpg )
This 1:5 text, that I am not interested in, doesn't seem possible to remove through the plugin's own configuration window, right ?

The ONLY way I found to remove it, is to click Firefox's hamburger icon and click to customize the display of icons. From there on, I drag and drop away this 1:5 text, and it is gone.
But... it is only gone until I initiate a new download, and then, bam, it is back.
Which leads me to my second point:

(2) Ideally, the changes we make in Firefox's customization menu, when they affect the S3 download window, should be permanent, the plugin shouldn't be able to restore UI elements that we made disappear.
No idea if that is feasable, but in my memory, this is the first time I see UI elements caused by a browser plugin that come back after I manually made them removed.

Not ranting. Meaning to help :)
(but I'd welcome the info if someone knows how to get this upper-right number figures permanently disappear, though.)
pag77

Post by pag77 »

Sabin, please use Stylish:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/stylish/

css code:

Code: Select all

#s3downbar_mini_text {
  display: none;
}
Sabin

Post by Sabin »

pag77 wrote:Sabin, please use Stylish:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/stylish/

css code:

Code: Select all

#s3downbar_mini_text {
  display: none;
}
That did the trick, thank you! =D>
Sabin

Post by Sabin »

Ah, I'm sorry to come back, I found the Stylish customization didn't fully remove this upper-right part, when there are no active downloads, it is still showing.

I find this is a relative waste of UI space, as this causes the presence of two buttons related to the downloads library.

A screenshot:
(if hotlinking fails: http://i.imgur.com/fnKg84d.jpg )

Would there be a way to remove it, perhaps with another Stylish rule, please ?
nonstatik

Post by nonstatik »

pag77 wrote:
nonstatik wrote:I get an "unresponsive script" error when starting FF42 on W7 x86. The script is from this add-on. Firefox doesn't respond for a couple minutes every time I start it. After I can actually use the browser, Firefox also doesn't respond for about 10 seconds the first time I click on S3. After that, it actually works.

you have a big history list of downloaded files?
try to clean it.
My history was quite large. Clearing the list has made FF open a bit faster but it's still unresponsive for a while. Some other curious issues:

1) I have 2 files which reappear in my list even though I've removed them. I've removed them from the list several times, but they keep reappearing in the list when I restart FF.

2) Changing any setting in the add-on causes FF to become unresponsive for 10-15 seconds. I discovered this when trying to reduce my maximum file list from 50 to 30. I tried 2 other random settings and the same thing happened.
pag77

Post by pag77 »

Sabin wrote:Ah, I'm sorry to come back, I found the Stylish customization didn't fully remove this upper-right part, when there are no active downloads, it is still showing.
Settings - General - Statusbar mode - Full mode
nonstatik wrote:My history was quite large. Clearing the list has made FF open a bit faster but it's still unresponsive for a while. Some other curious issues:
Go to the menu Help -> Troubleshooting Information (or enter about:support into address line) and then click the Folder Profile - Show folder button. With sufficient rights you will see all folders and files of your profile

search dir "s3downbar"
close all Firefox windows
delete dir "s3downbar"
run Firefox