HeaderTools ( for TB ) ver 0.6.0 available

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Jim Thompson

Changing subject changes date and sender -- bizarre values

Post by Jim Thompson »

On of my messages I changed the Subject of email. The Sender and date fields are altered on the TB list, the date shows 12/31/1969 and the sender shows nothing. When I bring up the tool on the message, different values are showing.

Would like to see this fixed, tool is invalubable to me!

Let me know if I can send more info on this.

Repeated from other thread.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Jim's issue was indeed a bug...

A fixed version is on the site now..

Get the 0.4.8 version from www.supportware.net/mozilla/HeaderTools.xpi
doh

Post by doh »

Thanks for a great extension.

I have several dozen emails imported from outlook express that have wrong receipt dates (all in yr. 2010). For these problematic emails, when I go to "change header details", there's no "Date" field.

When I manually input the date in the "change header details" (I got the sent date from reading the message source), all show up as 1/1/1970 and the date is shown at the top of the message body instead of the email info. box (the grey box at the top of the message w/ Subject, From, Date, To info.).

I assume the date is shown on the message body due to the order of the x-tags? Is there any way to change the order of x-tags so that the date will be shown in the email info. box like all other good emails? Also, how do I go about changing date other than the 1/1/1970 date?

Thanks again for a great extension.

Here's my config:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051211 Thunderbird/1.5 - Build ID: 2005121104
Using Header Tools Extension 0.4.8

P.S. I fixed the problem by saving the emails as .eml and manually modifying the header info. Imported back to the account w/ eml2mbox tool.
Lost User 183203

Post by Lost User 183203 »

Is there a date limit of some kind?

I have some very old messages that I plan on keeping around for a while. I was going through to clean up my mailbox and was looking forward to using this extension -- I really missed the ability to change the subject after I switched from Eudora. But for messages older than 7-29-05 I only get a single line dialog box -- I'm guessing it's like what the user with IMAP got -- and with similar results...

I hate to bother you -- it so nice of you to put in this effort -- but is it possible to get the extension to work on the older messages? If that's too much trouble... This would be a pain, but I could forward the older messages to myself, thereby creating a newer message. Could I then use the extension to change the date back to the original date, or does the date limit apply there as well?

Sorry to be so weird!

Ah. Never mind about the latter question. I just applied it to the message that kinda got screwed up and I could reset the date, at least back to Jan. 2005... Cool! Now that I couldn't do with Eudora :-) Hm. and now I can change the rest of the header data -- so the date limit only applies to the original date...

So anyway, the former question obviously isn't high priority, but if you're bored... ha, ha

Otherwise, awesome extension!!!!!
Wish it would work with IMAP though, I'm going to be updating my work computer and was thinking of switching to TB there as well, but I would really, really miss this...
krojc

Post by krojc »

ausdilecce,

This is absolutelly the most usefull extension for TB, so first thanks.

I also have a question/request. For some reason some emails even thou, subject, in-reply-to and references were changed/cleared the mail still does not go to proper thread. On the other hand if in-reply-to an references are correct and subject changed, it fits the conversation. This somehow is too much for my understanding of sorting :)

So, is it possible to change Header tools the way that it forces to stick to some thread on the sole basis of the subject? I'm thinking a button to remove all data except subject of the mail to keep it sorted... or something like that.

Be great and keep up the great work.
romelden

Post by romelden »

Hello, Thanks for your extension. When will have TB1.5 version. And I cannot change the subject to Chinese. Can do it?
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

ausdilecce wrote:Jim's issue was indeed a bug...

howdy ausdilecce,

could i convince you to ...
- put a link in the 1st post? [*grin*]
- put current ext version & tb version info up?
- put a changelog there, too?

btw, i was looking for EXACTLY this function when i noticed this thread bubble up to the top pf the extensions forum. how very convenient! thanks ...

take care,
lee
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

[1] environment info ...
my tb info ...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051201 Thunderbird/1.5 - Build ID: 2005120115

header tools version ...

[2] RFE - quick-apply method

have you seen the buttons! extension's "archive" button?
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... ous&id=106

here's a pic ...
http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/6904 ... ist3nu.jpg

it allows you to set and then to quickly apply one of several move-to commands. for example, i have a dozen or so folders that i move stuff to fairly often. setup the archive button to have those folders in it's drop-down list and now i just hit th button, pick from the list & move. fast easy ... nice!

what i would like it the ability to apply a tag QUICKLY while browsing thru my msg list or while viewing a msg in a msg window. right now if i want to add "books" to X-Tags, i hafta ...
- rt-clk on the msg in msg list
- select "change header..."
- select drop-down arrow
- select x-tags
- enter the tag
- hit ok

repeating that for every msg is ... repetitive. [*grin*]

i would like to save a list of such changes and have a button with a drop-down list of them to select from & then apply WITHOUT needing to open the header tools dialog. of course, once it was available thru a button, then the menu item could have a flyout with the same thing[s] in it ... [*grin*]

what i desire is something like this ...
[h-t button]
- x-tags = add "books"
- x-tags = add "jokes"
- x-tags = add "music"
- edit quick h-t chages [or perhaps h-t options]

[3] interface inconsistency

right now, h-t can be called up by ...
- rt-clk in msg list
- tools menu in main window

but you CANNOT call it up while in a msg window. you can bring it up WHILE the msg window is open by using one of the two items listed above, but no while actually IN that window. shouldn't the command be there somewhere?

take care,
lee
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

um, er, i see this ...
<em:version>0.4.7</em:version>

... in the file currently at that link. PLUS i am seeing what MIGHT to be the same bug that jim was seeing. for example ...

[note - if you are going to follow thru these steps, PLEASE make a test folder in tbird and copy a few msgs there as dataloss IS a real risk.]

- select msg &- ctrl-u to bring up view-source
- copy out the 1st two lines and save them = example ...
"
From - Wed Jan 18 09:05:48 2006
X-Account-Key: account2
"

- rt-clk on SAME msg and choose "change header details"
- select the X-Tags header from the droplist
- add an entry to that tag ... can be any number of words, but just one is enuf. i used "test"
- hit ok

- select SAME msg &- ctrl-u to bring up view-source
- copy out the 1st two lines and save them = example ...
"
From - Wed Jan 18 09:05:48 2006
"
- note that the lines have NOT changed - this is as desired.

- in the X-Tags data box, ADD a space & one word - i used "again"
- note that the 1st word that was there already turns RED and new word[s] are also red. i presume this means "changing" but i dunno for certain.
- hit ok

- look at X-Tags value and see it has NOT changed
- hit cancel or ok

- select SAME msg
- ctrl-u to open it in the view-source window
- copy out the 1st _THREE_ lines and save them = example ...
"
X-Tags: test again
an 18 09:05:48 2006
"

- note ...
--- X-Tags is now at the TOP and at the BOTTOM
--- X-Tags at the bottom has the data shown in the headertools display
--- the supposedly ALL IMPORTANT "From - Wed Jan 18 09:05:48 2006" line is DAMAGED. this line is supposed to let mbox format email storage programs such as tbird know where the msg starts.

continuing to try adding info to the x-tags header adds more lines to the top and eventually corrupts both the msg and the entire mbox.

[*sigh ...*] NASTY!

take care,
lee
hopchop

Light version? Appending information to the subject header

Post by hopchop »

I switched from Outlook to Thunderbird quite some time ago, but there is one feature/bug in Outlook, that I still miss every day. In Outlook, it is possible to change the subject line of any message.

Why would somebody need this? I also use my e-mail as an universal inbox. When I receive faxes or voice mails, I can easily note what it is about, after I have read it or listened to it, by appending to the subject line.

Subject: j2 fax from unknown - 1 page(s) is not very useful to find the message later.

When I use Outlook with my IMAP server, I can see, how Outlook implements the change. It marks the original message deleted and adds a copy with the changed header. This seems to be a very save way of implementing this and there are no performance problems regardless of mailbox size.

So, my suggestion would be, to create a "light" version, that just allows changes to the subject line and does this by creating a copy and deleting the original message or moving it to a "Originals" folder.
Yuke

Post by Yuke »

Lee_Dailey wrote:

um, er, i see this ...
<em:version>0.4.7</em:version>

I am noticing the same version... It worries me that we have not heard from ausdilecce
in over a month! Does anyone know if he got hit by a bus, or eaten by a kangaroo or something???

God help us!

One of the many dependent fans,
Yuke
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Yuke,

[1] version
not only did he say it was 0.4.8 and actually have 0.4.7, but lookee ...
http://www.supportware.net/mozilla/#ext15

that reports "Thunderbird Header Tools 0.4.5(TB 1.0 ok)" in the info and when ya dl the file, the extension version says ...
"<em:version>0.4.7</em:version>"

... and the maxver says ...
"<em:maxVersion>1.5+</em:maxVersion>"

given that he hasn't responded in a while and that the maxver is VERY non-spec, it's a bit of a worry.

[2] communication with him
i sent him a private message thru the forum. he must have picked it up cuz it's not in my outbox anymore. but he aint responded at all.

i haven't used his comment email address yet. for THIS extension, his site lists "ht_comments AT supportware DOT net" as the address. if i don't see him posting or hear from him, i think i will break down nag him thru the ht-comments email address.

i don't like to badger folks ... [*sigh ...*]

take care,
lee

-edit
lookee ...
http://forums.mozillazine.org/search.ph ... ausdilecce

he was REALLY busy it appears. so, not dead or in the hospital. good! [*grin*]

lee-

Last edited by Lee_Dailey on January 24th, 2006, 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy y'all,

seems this extension is being maintained and discussed in TWO places! [*grin*] lookee ...
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=89134

wish he would close the other one as it doesn't use "headertools" in the title. either that or make a NEW one in extensions - where this really otta be - and link both existing threads to the new one ... AND lock these two threads.

take care,
lee
Last edited by Lee_Dailey on January 24th, 2006, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy y'all,

for those seeking the 048 version, it's now in place. lookit the properties of the headertools link and you will see this ...
"Monday, January 23, 2006 05:54:29 PM"

... for the date. open it and the version info is ...
"<em:version>0.4.8</em:version>"

... and the maxver is ...
"<em:maxVersion>1.6+</em:maxVersion>"

take care,
lee
Last edited by Lee_Dailey on January 24th, 2006, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

[1] got 048. thanks! [*grin*]

[2] it SEEMS to be glitching a bit.
NOT dataloss, just unexpected behavior. lookee ...

- select msg with an attachment
- copy it to anohter folder so you can destroy it at will ... i used a folder named "_Transfer"
- select that copy
- do a ctrl-u & copy from the 1st content-type line to the 2nd content-type line
- paste that somewhere so you can see it later ... lookee ...
"
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
boundary="------------040804030801040900050706"
X-Loop: [my-email-address]
X-Antivirus: AVG for E-mail 7.1.375 [267.14.21/235]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
"
- rt-clk and select change header details ["chd" from now on]
- select x-tags from list of tags
- add a word ... "one" for example
- hit ok

- do a ctrl-u & copy from the 1st content-type line to the 2nd content-type line
"

X-Tags: one

"
- note that the added header line has a blank line after it
- do chd again
- note that the header list now includes two not-displayed-last-time headers ...
the 2nd "content-type" and it's corresponding "content-transfer-encoding" are now listed AFTER the x-tags header that you added.
- add a word to the existing x-tags header value ... "two" is what i used
- hit ok

- do a ctrl-u & copy from the 1st content-type line to the 2nd content -ype line
"

X-Tags: one two
"
- note that the blank line AFTER the x-tags header line is gone.
- chd again
- note that the word added to x-tags is where it's supposed to be.
- note that the two content-* lines are also there and positioned after the x-tags header.
- cancel out

it seems to work fine in that there are no signs of dataloss or other damage to the headers. whee! [*grin*]

however, the CHANGE in what is shown with headertools/chd is ... nervous-making for me at least.

also, would it not be more ... proper ... for new headers to be near the top? i am used to _most_ of the header info being in reverse order. in other words, "top = last" is how i _expect_ headers to be added to a msg. obviously the added headers hafta be AFTER the msg divider that mbox format uses to separate msgs. i was really expecting to see the added headers between the 1st and 2nd lines of the original headers. these lines here ...
"
From - Sat Jan 21 22:27:29 2006
"

one rather expects to see the new[er] headers at the top - under the "From - " msg divider. it - equally obviously - is NOT required. [*grin*]

take care,
lee