HeaderTools ( for TB ) ver 0.6.0 available

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

OK then.. spaces as delimiters in the X-whatever, its just that it might screw up other. pre-existing headers but... whatever.. ( jeez - the things people get exited about ! )

I have removed the headers.ignore pref and replaced it with a header.specified pref and a specified.show pref

if you want to only show "Date,To,From,Subject,References,X-Tags,X-Categories" headers then put that in the headers.specified and set headers.specified.show to true

if you want to NOT show only "X-this, X-that, X-Virus" headers then put that in the headers.specified and set headers.specified.show to false

issue 3 above is fixed.. but no option is avail yet.. they are both set to NOT send a copy to the trash folder.

Get the 0.5.3 version from www.supportware.net/mozilla/HeaderTools053.xpi
zyzzyvas

Post by zyzzyvas »

Now that's service! Excellent!

What do you mean by screwing up pre-existing headers? I'm guessing you mean ones created with 0.5.2 that have commas?

Hey, weren't you supposed to be super busy with "real" work this week? Not that I'm complaining :)
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Re: screwing up pre-existing headers.. Headers that might be there upon receipt.. You do know that HeaderTools can modify these as well..

Client has to "get back to me on that" kinda sh*t is why I am not busy....
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

"( jeez - the things people get exited about ! )" [*grin*]

"Client has to "get back to me on that" kinda sh*t is why I am not busy...." [*grin*] again ...

thanks for the space delimiter. i agree that IF used on headers without due care, it can really blast things into itty bitty bits. however, this util is NOT intended for that kind of use.

that original list of how i wanted ht enhanced - and why - may not have said it outright, but there is a good argument for breaking this util into TWO parts. one for diddling headers in the most geeky of manners and one for tags-n-categories. this automated tagging is - for ME - a replacement for user-extendable labels. if broken out, then the use of spaces becomes a question of pure preference.

when tbird finally has user-extendable labels - or a reasonable approximation of that - then i will use it and let ht go back to being a handy but VERY specific and very geeky tool instead of a use-it-several-times-a-day necessity. [*grin*]

thanks for the update! will play with the show/no-show option later.

btw, i noticed that there WAS a thread on this tool that started as a "change the subject line" discussion. is that still active? if so, you may want to merge the two threads. or not ... i can see reasons to go either way.

take care,
lee
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

[1] hide/show default
had a heart attack! your default of UNCHECKED for "show/hide specified headers" and your default list meant that my msgs that had already-added x-tags were not showing the x-tags.

then i remembered your note above ... ooooooo .... restarted heart. [*grin*]

that is a difficult setting to decide a default for.

your previous setup was just using it to add a few default add-on tags in the drop down list, as i recall. now it's EITHER hide all these OR show only these. i don't think that is a good thing to have "enabled" by default much less to have set to HIDE the items by default. it's bad for my heart ... [*grin*]

that gets to the q of how to provide the function ... i dunno! [*sigh ...*]

the obvious to _me_ choices are ...

1 - hide all list items
2 - show ONLY list items
3 - do not use hide/show list

right now you are using 1 and 2 and you default to 1. personally, i would prefer to default to 3, but if the choice is only 1 and 2, then - in _my_ opinion - 2 is safer cuz it's more obvious that some headers are hidden when one sees a SHORT list.

still, 3 is safest.

[2] a user interface suggestion
i have no _nice_ ideas on how to do that in the ui, but here's a not-actually-UGLY way to do it ...

header display controls
[] enable [checkbox]
-- hide/show [radio button pair] -- [data entry box]

i can also see a dual setting situation where you had a list to hide and a list to show and a do-this/do-that/do-neither with a triple radio button and two data entry boxes. that would allow for switching back-n-forth without losing one's settings for each view. seems overkill, but it's interesting ...

[3] default add-on header list
plus, it seems desirable to return the default add-on-if-not-already-there headers list like you had before. the primary items for _me_ would be x-tags and x-categories.

take care,
lee
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Ugg, my head hurts..

Firstly, the default setting was to *SHOW* the Date, To, From, Subject, References, X-Tags and X-Categories headers.
( dont know what happened to you )

I have been down this UI road before.... ran outa gas the last time and had to walk back to reality.. Not everyone is happy, everyone bitches at each other.. its ugly..

So yea, I struggled a bit on the UI for this.. nothing seems right for all occasions.. So I made an executive decision to
1) keep the show/hide checkbox and specified headers list
2) allow the user be able to click a button on the CHD window to just edit the message source in all its gory glory...

because.. no matter what I do with the settings for what to show or hide or whatever... if the user needs to edit a particular header just the one time, he/she would have to change the global options just to see and edit that one header, then change them back bla bla bla.. too much trouble for everyone..

This way they can change whatever header ( or body ) all in one place...
The downside is if the f**k up the message, tough noogies... ( maybe this is where I should allow the original to get stored in the trash... )

thots ?
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

[1] i never have done any programming, but i have friends who did or still do. code was interesting but ui was the biggest headache for everyone. [*grin*] i understand your headache entirely.

[2] default pref
i looked in the jar file and it sure seems set to SHOW as the default. dunno why it failed for me that time. not a problem, tho.

[3] default prefs thru \defaults\preferences\
purely as a bit of curiosity ... is there a reason for not using a "\defaults\preferences\hdrtools.js" file in your xpi to handle default prefs?

[4] ui comments
- i would put a button in the "header changer" window to "temporarily show all headers"
this could simply close and reopen the window with all the headers shown.

if - later on - one wished to get fancy, one could add radio buttons for show-all/show-only/hide to the "header changer" window. [*grin*] unneeded bling-bling, but possibly useful.

- i would use some variant of the ui listed above for defining the hide/show items and to enable/disable it
perhaps a slight change like this ...

header display controls
disable/hide/show [radio button triple]
-- hide these headers [data entry box]
-- show ONLY these headers [data entry box]

- i would add a place to list default add-on headers to be used in the "header changer" window

[5] change-original-or-copy
i can certainly see both ways being handy. i prefer, personally, to edit the original.

this gets back to the all-in-one header tool or one geeky-header-tool-to-rule-them-all and one for user labels. the 1st would be BEST done on a copy. the 2nd can safely be done on the original cuz it would be setup to only touch a very narrow list of headers. most of them would be headers that IT made and therefore that it understood fully. heck, you COULD set it to use ONE header and just insist on folks using that header for their custom header criteria in filters and searches.

there ARE benefits to very narrowly defined tools ... [*grin*]

[6] what does this "hdrtools.compact" do?
mine is currently set to false.

[7] hdrtools.headers.newdefault
i see that this matches "new header defaults" in ht options. if you choose to add back the item i listed 3rd at the end of [4] above, then this function and pref will need new names. they don't seem to apply now since that data box provides the quick-change menu items instead of the default items in the drop down list next to the new header box in the "header changer" window

take care,
lee

Post by TobyK »

Hi,

I fully agree with [4]!
hdrtools.compact: I think in older versions there has been a check box if the folder should be compacted after using chd - so I think this is the pref.

Toby
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

1 - always helps when users have empathy

2 - prolly a new-version overwriting old version issue

3 - laziness, pure and simple... default prefs will be in the uncoming version

4 - the new "Edit Full Source" button takes care of this issue..
..a) the user will be able to see and edit the whole of the message -
..b) no holds barred - VERY powerful ( and VERY dangerous )

5 - Allow me to straighten this original and copy thing...
..a) HT is *always* modifying a copy ..
..b) the only diff is whether HT throws the original in the trash folder or not
...( if not, the original stays in the folder until a compact op )
..c) regardless of touching a very narrow list of headers or not, both ops are potentially fatal to a message

6 - hdrtools.compact is cruft from previous versions ( as TobyK correctly pointed out )
..a) it never did work right

7 - this pref and its function still applies.. it just performs an additional function now
..a) it still does provide default items in the drop down lies in the CHD window (unless the header already exists )
..b) it *also* provides the quick-change menu items ( because they are default NEW headers and new values )
daviswj

Post by daviswj »

ausdilecce,

Kudos & sincere appreciation for an outstanding extension (and the dramatic improvements over the past several days).

Query: Is preserving flags & labels still on the list? ... all the additonal x-tag capability is nice, but for those who use the built-in flags/labels for organizing and accounting for email, having them wiped clean (and perhaps not noticing that they need to be reset) can really hurt.

I'm probably mistaken (wouldn't be the first time [smile]) & maybe just didn't notice, but didn't earlier version do just that?

Many thanks for your efforts ...,
Bill Davis
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Daviswj,

Thanks.

With regard to preserving flags/lables.. I have put code it to do just that but under certain circumstances, it fails.. I need feedback on which ones it fails on..

Specifically:
IMAP or local ?
Version of TB ?
O/S ?
did message have attachments ?
Are you doing several messages at once ? ( with the quick-change menu items )
what were the flag/label settings before and after ?

Thanks again
TobyK

Post by TobyK »

Lee_Dailey wrote:i can't use the msg pane cuz the timer is instantly marking all msgs viewed there as read. even when set to various large numbers. plus, it cannot be shut off! that's another two bugs, tho. [*grin*]

I set the value to 172800 - so messages are only marked read if they are marked 48h. This works fine. Additionally there is an extension which just marks the message unread immediately after it is marked read.
daviswj

Post by daviswj »

ausdilecce,

Thanks for the quick reply :).

I'm still using 0.5.2, as haven't yet been able to successfully download 0.5.3 (connection issue, I suspect). As soon as I can get 0.5.3, will test and try to provide some examples & additional requested data.

However in regards to 0.5.2

Specifically:
IMAP or local ? local
Version of TB ? 1.5 (20051201)
O/S ? XP Home (w/SP1)
did message have attachments ? behaves the same either way.
Are you doing several messages at once ? ( with the quick-change menu items ) One message at a time
what were the flag/label settings before and after ? Any label & the flag set, after using HeaderTools that email has no label set, no flag set.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again,
Bill Davis
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

[1] empathy and understanding are right nice when you can get them! [*grin*]

[3] [*grin*]

[4] GOOD!
i can see uses for a more complicated setup, but that would be more ... complicated ... which equals more error prone.

[5] thanks for clearing my confusion on the copy/no-copy item.

[6] [*grin*] yet again ...

[7] i will disagree with you there.

why? the items seem to _me_ to be vividly different and therefore otta have distinct places in ht options. obviously not a NEEDED thing - cuz it works fine now - but a viewpoint that differs from yours. i like for things to be painfully obvious.

i've done recoding of old cobol to spreadsheets and to python and the times i have run around in circles trying to figure out what "that blinking thing DOES" is a source of amusement. NOW it is - then it was a vast source of frustration.

i'm NOT a programmer so figuring out what things are for after the fact is ... interesting. [*grin*]

that's why i disagree with using that pref for what seem to _me_ to be two different things.

take care,
lee
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

TobyK wrote:
Lee_Dailey wrote:i can't use the msg pane cuz the timer is instantly marking all msgs viewed there as read. even when set to various large numbers. plus, it cannot be shut off! that's another two bugs, tho. [*grin*]

I set the value to 172800 - so messages are only marked read if they are marked 48h. This works fine. Additionally there is an extension which just marks the message unread immediately after it is marked read.

howdy TobyK,

there is a bug that hits some folks involving timers. that - for me - causes the msg pane to instantly mark msgs as read no matter WHAT i set that number to. look in this thread for a bit of info on that.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=377900

what is the extension you mention? linkage, please! [*grin*]

take care,
lee